PDA

View Full Version : Get Your Braggin' rights in Now - Before the season starts ..

Blues1
8/21/2006, 03:21 AM
Well I thought maybe to help everyone review "who you are" and where you started with being a SOONER Fan - Lets get OUR Bragging rights in now down on a thread...And Maybe the next two weeks will go by faster....:)
Here's Mine....

First Sooner Game I saw ...1952 ND Won -But I became a Sooner Fan and got see Billy Vessels...Age 10...On a big 6 inch tv screen....:)

I've seen Every Sooner Bowl Since 1954 (Thats 34 Bowl Games) 21 wins - 12 loss's and one tie....

My First Sooner Game in a Real Stadium - South Bend Ind. October 27th 1956
OU 40 ND 0 --- :D (Tommy McDonald - Jerry Tubbs - Jimmy Harris - Clendon Thomas etc etc - age 14 - I was in Sooner Heaven) Win Number 35

I was at the *Last Win* of the 47 Straight Wins in Columbia Mo. (39 to 14)

I Had "The Original Newspaper Clippings" of every Win of the 47 Win Streak

YEP - I saw the next game after that (We know what happen there) The Streak was Gone --:(

Was at the 7 to 7 tie with usc (The Famous Joe Washington Punt return)

3 RRS Cotton Bowls - 2 Wins - 1 Loss

Been to 4 OU Bowl Games (63 Orange Bowl - Why I hate Bama) - 81 Sun Bowl - 2003 Rose Bowl - 2005 Holiday Bowl.... 3 wins - 1 loss

Only one game in Norman - OU vs Kansas 1964 or 65 (don't remember right now but we Won...!!! )

Followed every Season Since 1952 up to this years team.....

Don't want to talk about the Northwestern game in 59 (The Mafi Game)

Those are my Braggin' rights --- Now it's your Turn.......:)

Brag On - Rock on'

sooneriniowa
8/21/2006, 03:42 AM
Spencer Tillman Autographed my arm once....I was the coolest kid for a week...And the dumbest one since.

That was when I became a true Sooner fan though....

Desert Sapper
8/21/2006, 05:07 AM
I don't have anything from the wayback days...

I remember dad took me to a practice once in 1982. I had been to games before, even been close to field level. That practice though, I was standing right up next to those guys. I came up to most of their knees. Dang near everybody had a fro, even the white guys. I remember Eric Pope, seemed like the tallest guy I'd ever seen (until I met Waymon a couple years later), picked me up so I could see over everybody. I remember Coach Selmon tearing into Marcus Dupree for sandbagging through practice. The King gave me a little wave. I was hooked from there. I haven't stopped watching the Sooners since. Even when I couldn't watch the games (when I was in college in New York), I listened to gamecast on ESPN (and screamed and shouted and jumped up and down about all the mistakes). I think any of us that remained fans through the WHOLE Gibbsnellyblake era deserve to be called true fans.

MarylandSooner
8/21/2006, 05:23 AM
I attended my first game in 85, we beat Iowa State 35-7 that was quite a thrill for me because it was just my dad and me. I also suffered through Gibbs and Blake but I thought one of the best games we won was against the upside-down horns during Blakes era in over-time. I have been able to contribute to my fandum alot more in the last couple years by attending the Big Twelve Championship Game against Colorado in KC, National Championship Game against Suc, and the Holiday Bowl win against Oregon. Overall it has been a great life as a Sooner fan.

olevetonahill
8/21/2006, 06:24 AM
aint nobody on here as old as you !;)
I listened to the usc 7-7 tie On the radio
Saw Dupree break something like an 80 yrd run for the end zone . Only problem was he kept running all the way back to Ms .
81 -82 ? usc shut us out at home :eek:
I was so ****ed we drove to like thier 10 or something 4 or 5 times got stalled and the King said Go for it on 4th down . if we try to kick the FGs we at least tie em again . But then isnt that what we all want is the Coach to Go for it .;)
Youve got like 21 yrs on me :cool: Ive Only been a fan since 73

AlbqSooner
8/21/2006, 06:30 AM
My first game in Norman was '63 Syracuse. 3-0 'Cuse late in the 4th and OU at about the 45. A sophomore (freshmen were not eligible) running back took the ball off left tackle for about 2 yards when several Syracuse players converged on him. Somehow he emerged from the scrum and took it to the house. Kid named Joe Don Looney. On the ensuing kickoff the Syracuse player took the ball at about the goal line and started upfield. At the 20 there was a collision that was so loud the entire stadium went OHHHHHHH! He had been hit one on one by another sophomore for OU. Kid named Ralph Neely.

Been to the RRS 6 times. 5 wins 1 tie (15-15 in the pouring rain).

MiccoMacey
8/21/2006, 07:46 AM
I actually attended OU so I'm the only "real" OU fan. :D

Blues1
8/21/2006, 07:49 AM

My Sister went to OU -- So maybe I'm half in....:)

Well maybe not...

olevetonahill
8/21/2006, 07:54 AM
soonerscooter is that you ? ;)

MiccoMacey
8/21/2006, 09:16 AM
My Sister went to OU -- So maybe I'm half in....:)

Well maybe not...

Bandwagoner. :D

(BTW, this is the dumbest criteria for fandom I've ever heard of...very OSU-ish).

MarylandSooner
8/21/2006, 09:35 AM
Not to take away from the original subject but I was born in Oklahoma, and my cousin was Tinker Owens girl friend so that is good enough for me.

JohnnyMack
8/21/2006, 09:37 AM
I used to have to eat Oliver's Pizza at the dorms freshman year.

Top that.

sooner518
8/21/2006, 09:55 AM
First game was in 1989 when I was 7. OU won 73-3 over New MExico St.

Went to a couple more games throughout my childhood. Losing to Iowa St. in 1990. Beating Baylor a couple times. I watched every game I could on TV and listened to the other ones on the radio while we watched other football games on TV with the sound off.

Saw OU get killed by Colorado in ***************'s only year.

Saw Nebbish kill us 73-21 during Boo's tenure.

Went to every home game for 4 years I was at OU. Went to OU/Texas my senior year (12-0). Not proud of it, but I sold my tickets the 2 years before that (I was ****-poor and needed the money).

Went to KSU in 2004.

Drove 24 hours to Miami to witness "the game which we do not speak of". That was the last OU game I saw in person.

Flying to Oregon to try and score some tickets to OU-UO.

I'm young and don't have a huge resume, but I did go to OU, so I consider myself more worthy than everyone else here. ;)

leavingthezoo
8/21/2006, 10:03 AM
i once killed a bear with my bare hands and didn't even have to use a lint brush afterwards.

(oh, you mean OU related. he was wearing a sooners cap?) :D

MiccoMacey
8/21/2006, 10:05 AM
I'm young and don't have a huge resume, but I did go to OU, so I consider myself more worthy than everyone else here. ;)

Back in line, pup. I went there first (graduated in 2002). So I have seniority. :D

Not proud of it, but I sold my tickets the 2 years before that (I was ****-poor and needed the money).

What else did you do for money? :D

westcoast_sooner
8/21/2006, 10:09 AM
I went to my first OU game in '67 or '68 against ISU. Sooners win (I think) 42-7 in Norman. That is the one and only time I've seen them play there.
I listened to the OU/USC 7-7 tie on the radio at my grandmother's house in OKC, back in the day.
I remember listening to an OU/ND game in the mid-60s when I was a kid. I think we got crushed, but it was then that I became a Sooner fan.

But I have been to 3 RRS games - 2-1 (both of the blowouts (2000 and 2003)).

I saw them lose to Cal in Berkeley under Blake. Mad comeback toward the end, but Cal held on for the win.

I saw them play twice last year - both on the West Coast - the debacle in Pasadena against UCLA and then the Holiday Bowl - great win agains UO.

1991SOONER
8/21/2006, 10:10 AM
Went to my first game in Norman in 1976. Mizzou vs OU. Dean Blevins was the qb. I don't have to tell you who the head coach was.

When I attended OU '85 through '91, I had season tickets every year.
I watched OU win the MNC my freshman year.

Most memorable games was the 77-0 blowout of Mizzou and the 1990 blowout of Nebraska. That was special since I graduated just a few weeks after that game.

Its fun to walk around on campus and see some of the players. I've seen the boz and Charles Thompson. Anthony Stafford lived next door in my apartment complex.

OUMallen
8/21/2006, 10:12 AM
I can't remember my first game, but I wa about 8.

My Sooner Credentials:
1. My grandfather was #38 on the first OU Orange Bowl team. I think that might have been in '38 or so, and I think we lost to Tennessee.
2. I was born on Oct. 6, 1980, the VERY day that the University of Oklahoma adopted the Sooner Schooner as the official mascot.
3. My pledge brother and I were the original planters of oranges in the Seed Sower in 2000.
4. OU has never lost a home game I've attended. The only game I've attened that they did lose was UT in 99.

sooneron
8/21/2006, 10:23 AM
Born in 1967 to parents that were enrolled at OU - Sooner born and bred
Moved to Baja Oklahoma when I was 3
First game - 1976 - ksu
Moved back to Norman in 1978- I started selling parking spots at the house in 79 and would use the cash (usually 15-20 bucks) to buy a ticket sometime before kickoff.
I don't know how, but I always managed to get on the field as a youth. I guess I looked like I was supposed to be down there for some reason. I wish I still had the pics that I took back then, there were some good ones.
Went to OU 85-88, 90-91.5. Had a REALLY good time. We won it all my frosh year, as you can guess.
First OU-tx was 1982.
Went to all home games in 01-02, moved back to the NY area and still go to at least one game a year.

Landthief 1972
8/21/2006, 10:42 AM
The first OU game I ever saw in Norman was against A&M in '93. They were ranked #5, and we stomped them 44-14. I've seen more OU games during the Boo era than any other, so I'm either a true fan or a glutton for punishment.

My last game in Norman was vs. Oregoon, were I watched AD bolt down the west sideline for what, 40 yards? for a TD, then come back to the south endzone and pinball in for another score in the 4th.

The Maestro
8/21/2006, 10:56 AM
First OU game was Dad's Day vs. K-State in 1979...Sims and Cumby.

I once owned and wore proudly the plastic Boz hair piece.

I sold Pepsi's in the north end zone in 1985...Keith was running right at me and I spilled...GLADLY...about half my tray.

I was GIVEN season tickets from a vendor...FOR THE 2000 SEASON!! I sat in the visitors section on the goal line of the south end zone. Fun as hell during the Nebraska game when they went up 14-0 and I just turned and yelled, "You just made us mad now!" They laughed...I laughed a half hour later.

I attended each game in Red October...best month of my life.

My bowl games are the I-Bowl (great time in spite of the loss) and the 2001 Orange Bowl...eating Filet and Crab Legs at the Clevelander at 3 a.m. watching a replay of the game was as good as it gets.

Best road game was at Bama...not too bad of a time walking into Lewis Field in 2004 with no ticket, an open Bud Light and waltzing up to a suite like I owned it to hang out with Big Country and Barry Sanders was fairly priceless. Especially at halftime when BoonesFarmSooner and I were in the bathroom and Dean Blevins stepped into the urinal between us and my BFS belted out, "I gotta helluva buzz, Dean!" in Gary Gibbs fashion. Dean-O was wee bit uncomfortable...as he should have been.

Holiday Bowl was a good time, especially with the invention of the mobile tailgate. No games planned for this year...hoping that OU just comes out here to my backyard in Glendale in January.

MiccoMacey
8/21/2006, 11:00 AM
My first game was in the late 70's, (against Iowa State I believe). My uncle gave my dad his tickets. We sat at the very top of the South section (last row) and used the wall as a back rest.

I made the tOSU game back in the 80's as well.

Once I went to OU, I made all home games but one from 2000 to 2002 (missed TTech).

Beef
8/21/2006, 11:16 AM
Neandethal Beef painted OU on a cave. And shat out Hook em in front of his enemy's cave. Suck on that, bitches.

Sooner J
8/21/2006, 11:22 AM
I moved to bug-eater land in 83. Being a Military brat meant that i actually had a choice of selecting the team that i followed so I used a father/son bet to choose. The game was the 84 game in Lincoln and I choose the Sooners and the rest is history. I've taken a lot of crap (especially from 91 to the coming of Bob) but have never folded. Every chance I get I let these farmes up here no who the real team is.

I finally got to see my first game in Norman a couple of years ago and have now been down there 2 times. I've also gone to See the Sooners in Kansas City and traveld to Miami to see them but they never showed up:confused: . I plan on going to the Texas Tech and Missiouri games this year.

stoopified
8/21/2006, 11:30 AM
First Game was oSu in'69.Did not know much about football then(age 9).Left that game thinking the whole idea was to give the ball to your best player all game long.Steve Owens 55 carries-261 yards-4tds.Sooners win 28-27.I have had season tickets since'88.Only been to one RRSO,UT won 34-3,long walk through Texa$$ state fair back to the car.

Funny story about Gibbs tenure,when we lost in Norman to ISU.Don't even get me started on the game itself.They had just sounded the final gun and ISU fans,players and band went crazy .I was mad as hell as I was getting up to leave.Then it happened.A man who must of been at least in his 60's,wearing Sooner garb,stood up on his seat,screamed F** you at the top of his lungs while flying the bird from both fully extended hands .I couldn't help it and burst out laughing.That is known as getting a true taste of perspective.

hawaii 5-0
8/21/2006, 11:30 AM
Was in the stands for the Game of The Century. It was cold, very cold. And yes, Joe Wiley was clipped.

Got to see Lil Red do his dance at midfield.

Got to see the 3 Selmon brothers play together.

Got to hear, as the pre-game prayer ended, "God Bless Greg Pruitt."

Met the Fairy Queen of Norman. (not sure if that's a brag)

:cool: 5-0

OUMallen
8/21/2006, 11:35 AM
I attended each game in Red October...best month of my life.

Same here, man.

soonerinabilene
8/21/2006, 12:10 PM
first game, i was 4 or 5. against nebraska in the freezing rain. charles thompson (i think he was the qb at the time) broke his leg. we lost, but it cemented my future. dad bought me a $100 ou coat cuz it was so cold and it was the cheapest one they had. still have it and am gonna give it to my boy when he gets old enough. got to meet lydell carr and got an autographed polaroid with him.

1991SOONER
8/21/2006, 12:49 PM
The first OU game I ever saw in Norman was against A&M in '93. They were ranked #5, and we stomped them 44-14.

I was there too. Actually, I never made it in to the stadium. I parked my brand new Corvette outside my buddies house outside the stadium and accidently ran into his car w/ my new vette. We argued for a while, got drunk and then passed out. Then finally made it over to O'Connels but by that time the game was already over.

Ahhh.....memories....

1991SOONER
8/21/2006, 12:50 PM
first game, i was 4 or 5. against nebraska in the freezing rain. charles thompson (i think he was the qb at the time) broke his leg. we lost, but it cemented my future. dad bought me a $100 ou coat cuz it was so cold and it was the cheapest one they had. still have it and am gonna give it to my boy when he gets old enough. got to meet lydell carr and got an autographed polaroid with him.

I remember that game too. I was there...

The Maestro
8/21/2006, 01:03 PM
Speaking of cold OU-Nebraska games, my only trip to Lincoln was for the game where Johnny Mitchell single-handedly brought the Huskers back for a 19-14 win...maybe 1992. My dad and two friends were with me on the top row of the end zone in freezing rain. We were soaking wet before halftime, but a 14-0 lead early made us stay. My two friends left at halftime cause they were too miserable. My dad and I went went down at halftime and bought two cups of coffee each...and then we proceeded to go into the bathroom, take off our drenched coats...and then we poured the coffee on ourselves. It was the most miserable physically I have ever been in my life. The ride home sucked as we were freezing, OU lost a heartbreaker and I've never been able to enjoy iced coffee at Starbuck's due to the experience.

yermom
8/21/2006, 01:30 PM
well, i got into OU Football a bit late. i had found out about OU Football during the '87 season, was crushed when we lost to Miami. i still hate Miami almost as much as Texas

i kinda loosely followed until Stoops came, after his first season, i was still skeptical... i literally said "let's see how he does against Texas"

i was hooked after that game. i haven't missed a game since, either on the radio, over the internet when it wasn't on TV

went to my first game when we played UNC in 2001, haven't missed a home or OU/Texas game since, been to every game in person since the 2003 Big 12 Championship game, man it sucks to come home with a "L"

astro5169
8/21/2006, 02:27 PM
I picked a fight with Teddy Lehman at his house a few years ago. It went something like this"I thought you'd be taller!" Then i asked him to play a game - I said "you stand perfectly still" " I am going to run 20 yards that way" I then said I am Rashaun Woods" He got pretty ****ed but was a good sport. I told him to use that energy for me next year when he clobbers him. I then began to have a drinking contest with his mom and hit on his sister... Not a good night for me.

I was born a sooner fan. But, this was my brush with greatness. OU will win the national championship this year. We are the favorites.

JohnnyMack
8/21/2006, 02:47 PM
Neandethal Beef painted OU on a cave. And shat out Hook em in front of his enemy's cave. Suck on that, bitches.

Protoplasm JohnnyMack devoured Hook em amoeba in the primordial soup. Score mother****ing board.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/21/2006, 02:54 PM
I was at Blake's first game as head coah. OH wait, this is bragging. I've been to 10 straight RRS's. Was at the game against osu when jamelle got hurt, not a good thing, but memorable. I was behind the goal post pushing on it and got pepper sprayed after the neb game in 2000.

CU Sooner
8/21/2006, 03:24 PM
First memory of a game was the National Championship against Michiganin the OB, even got a coloring book later that year that was totally about OU and the 75' season. Man I wish I had kept that. First game was in the driving rain against Elway, I was miserable but that's when my dad taught me it didn't matter what was happening in the game we would staytil the end because we were true fans. Now that I live in Colorado I only get to see them when they are up here, which is even more sweet when we kick their butts at their home.

setem
8/21/2006, 03:28 PM
My family have been big Sooners fans for I don't know how long. My parents another family who have been friends with forever used charter a big bus down to the OU-XT game. My parents have told me stories of the crazy times and blatant racism that used to take place down there. I have never been to the Cotton Bowl I am hoping that will change in next year or so.

The 1st game in a stadium I ever attended was California in Norman we lost 13-12. I have not missed a home game in 3 years. I have been to ****** twice once in Norman once in Stoolwater. I am looking at number 3 this year. I have made a good friend in the grand daughter of a very well known sports caster that I will be getting the "hook up" from this year. I have a feeling it will be good times.

...and I made this little post right here to show how much I love the Sooners and PT!

Pulp Thompson (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75879)

tbl
8/21/2006, 03:59 PM
My first OU/saxeT game was 2003. I'd been to a bunch of games in Norman, but never to the Cotton Bowl. I paid face value for my ticket, got to sit on the front row at the 30 yard line, had my picture taken with Roy and he autographed my ticket, got to be on TV, then got to hold the trophy. The only bad thing was I didn't know anybody around me, but frankly I didn't care.

Greatest game evar!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/fixinchitlins/OU-TXmeandRoy.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/fixinchitlins/OU-TXMeandthetrophy.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/fixinchitlins/OU-TXClayton.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/fixinchitlins/OU-TXEverage.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/fixinchitlins/OU-TXTommie.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/fixinchitlins/OU-TXWinningSmile.jpg

OUstud
8/21/2006, 04:00 PM
I'm told I attended 3 games in 1992, a freezing cold one against KSU on Halloween around 1993, and maybe a couple in 1994, I don't remember those though.

But, I remember most that I attended from 1995 on:
95: UNT
96: TTU (may have attended 1 or 2 more, don't remember)
97: Syracuse, Baylor, KSU, Aggy, A&M
98: UNT, @TCU, Cal, ISU, TTU
99: Indy State, Baylor, Mizzou, ISU, @TTU, Aggy, Independence Bowl
00: UTEP, ASU, Rice, KU, @KSU, NU, @Baylor, Tech, KSU @ KC, Orange Bowl
01: UNC, UNT, KSU, @KU, Baylor, Tulsa, A&M, @TTU, Aggy, Cotton Bowl
02: @Tulsa, Alabama, UTEP, USF, @Mizzou, ISU, CU, @A&M, TTU, Rose Bowl
03: UNT, @Alabama, Fresno State, UCLA, @ISU, Mizzou, Aggy, Baylor, @TTU, KSU @ KC, Sugar Bowl
04: BG, Houston, Oregon, TTU, @KSU, KU, @A&M, NU, CU @ KC, Orange Bowl
05: TCU, Tulsa, KSU, KU, Baylor, @NU, A&M, @TTU, Aggy

This year I'm lined up for all home games, plus my first OU-whorn, @Mizzou, @A&M, and @Baylor.

Readyfor8
8/21/2006, 05:34 PM
My first game I remember being an outright Sooner was OU-Texas in 1996, I remember screaming as Allen was falling over the goal line for the OT Win. In 1997 my father took me to the texas game and I have seen atleast one game every year since then. 1997 was great until Texas pulled it out at the last second. Man DeMond was a beast, I remember him running for that long TD straight for us and me waving him into the endzone.

I am currently a Student and I make every home game every year, and my father and I are planning to visit every BigXII stadium over the next 4 years for an OU game.

OK2LA
8/21/2006, 05:59 PM
Sooner Born and Sooner Bred.

Born in OKC and lived in Edmond - couldn't get to Norman fast enough. Went to just about every home game while I was in school, too many to remember and several before I was in college. I try to make atleast 1 game per year - tejas if possible. Some of the games that stick out that I was at:

tejas: 2000-2004

unc - stayed until the very end - ou let 'em back in the game (unc covered, and I bet heavy on the sooners! - guess they weren't really "back in the game, but I was ****ed.) Stayed until the very end, and there was one helluva rain storm that we got caught in running to the car - we were soaked!

at bama - 2001? - FAKE PUNT! AAAAAHHHHHHHHH

wazzu - Rose Bowl 2003! We had a HUGE tailgate party - got up there at 4:30am, and there was already 2 rows of SOONER FANS camped out for the tailgate! I was ****ed and proud at the same time! "Damn Okies! Shoulda known! I read the Grapes of Wrath - Tom Joad led the way!"

oregon - Holiday Bowl!

ucla last year - damnit! HUGE tailgate out there for that one, and put on a big golf tourney at the "Rose Bowl Golf Course" - Brookside - That was a great day! Lots of Okies came out for that one!

usc-orange bowl - damnit - I said I'd never say that! ugh.

fsu - orange bowl.

going to eugene this year, and trying to make it down to dalli for the rrs.

BOOMER!

Wishboned
8/21/2006, 06:28 PM
I've been present for three OU games. All victories. In 1979 I got the opportunity to see Billy Sims run all over Iowa State, final score 38-9.

Then four years later I got to witness Sooner Magic as OU came from behind to beat OSU in Stillwater 21-20.

Then 20 years later I got to see OU thrash OSU with Les "Let 'er rip" Miles crying on the sidelines.

I could have seen Barry's last game as OU's head coach at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando because I was living there at the time but I had to work and could not get off.

wishbonesooner
8/21/2006, 06:45 PM
Saw my first Sooner game in 1963, all I can remember is my dad pointing out Bud on the sidelines. Had season tickets for many years in the very corner of the north end zone, west end. I was right there when Elvis Peacock made a long run down the west sideline and ran right up to me and my buddy, his eyes were like saucers! Saw Barry Burget block a punt to save us against Vanderbilt one season opener.

proudsoonergal
8/21/2006, 08:28 PM
I went to OU, my dad and his three brothers went to OU, my granddad went to OU, and my great-granddad was an actual Sooner (or so the legend goes).

My first OU game was in 1987. My parents and I lived in SE Georgia, and we drove down to Miami to see the game in the old Orange Bowl. The whole trip was a nightmare...we had car problems, I remember these really HUGE jumping bugs that scared the crap out of me, and the main thing I remember from the game is the fans were rude, loud, and obnoxious. (I still hate Vinny Testeverde.)

I've been to every OU/saxet game since 1991. While in college - one year of Gibbs, Schnelly, and two years of Blake - I went to every home game except two (a wedding, so I missed SMU in 1995, and I had to go to a conference for A&M 97). I've been to every bowl game since 2000 (Orange, Cotton, Rose, Sugar, Orange, Holiday). I've been to every Big XII Championship game (not just OU's, actually) since 2000. I went to every game during Red October, Nebraska 2001 (DANG CROUCH - if Hybl had just caught the stupid ball earlier in the game!!!), at Alabama 2003, at A&M 2004, and I'm planning to head up to Eugene in September. I've also seen OU play at every Big XII campus except Colorado and Missouri (although I'm going to the latter game this year, too).

Oh, and I'm *REALLY* hoping OU goes to the Fiesta Bowl, or, even better, the NC game this year. I already have tickets. :) (Although fleecing another ND fan for the Fiesta tickets would be fun, too)

Dio
8/21/2006, 10:01 PM
1st game - Marcus running amok over Mizzou, Don Key winning the first, um Don Key award

2nd game - My mullet and I got on ESPN! OU beat an up and coming CU squad in '87

Other highlights:
Cotton Bowl v. Arky- too damn early (and cold) for New Years'

Rose Bowl (left SoCal driving after the game Wed. evening- was back at work in Norman Friday AM)

Switzer's last home game in the freezing rain v. nebbish

Got up at the butt crack of dawn to take the 2 oldest to the 04 game at K-State (no tickets 'til we got there- headed to Topeka to hang with my sis after the game)

Got up at the butt crack of dawn to go to Baylor, also in 04, then to the Metallica show that night in San Antonio (no game tickets til we got there, free tickets about 15 min. before kickoff acquired by me- floor tickets for Metallica acquired by UnnamedSooner)

The Let 'er Rip! game

FINALLY got to go to RRS in '05- (tickets acquired by OUENGR, crashed at Unnamed's place- after spending Fri. night roaming from McKinney to the West End w/ 6 people crammed in a 2-door Explorer- Unnamed's wife wisely suggested we take 2 cars to the game the next day)

No punters for UNT ('95) and K-State ('05)

Gibbs' last home game almost pulling it out against nebbish

Shutting out losur in 92 or 93 when we gave them the ball on our own 5 and they still couldn't score

SmellsofBourbon's "asterisk" game against CU

Gary Barnett's "mulligan" game

The Kenyatta Wright "our house" game

Blake's last game actually pulling it out against tech.

Bammer in '02

OU/Neb 2000- If you watch the tape, after we tie it up the camera pans across the crowd going absolutely nuts, then stops on a guy holding a sign that says "Screw the Heisman, Heupel for President". I got on ABC, and I still have the sign.

goingoneight
8/21/2006, 10:16 PM

I took basics at TTC before OU, so what am I, like half-initiated??? :confused:

Hmmm... I was at the Cotton Bowl in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004... everything since December 2004 is kind of a blank for me.

Oh, yeah... I got to see the Let 'R Rip game in 2003... Never a louder stadium... period. OUr 84,000 + sounded like 200,000 when Bradley tossed the TD pass to Clayton!

sooner518
8/25/2006, 02:13 PM
Then 20 years later I got to see OU thrash OSU with Les "Let 'er rip" Miles crying on the sidelines.
That game was probably the most fun OU game I've ever been to. The stadium and the team were both incredibly psyched for that game. It seemed like every time we were on defense, we just stuffed them which made the crowd even louder.

I did kind of feel bad for the aggie fans who managed to find tickets in the student section. It had rained before the game and as a result, there were thousands of cloth hats which were soaked with rainwater. Rolled into a ball, they made a nice wet, cloth projectile for drunk students to hurl at the aggies. it was funny to see them get jacked in the head with those, but i still felt kinda bad.

Coloradosker
8/25/2006, 03:26 PM
I was at the 2001 barn burner in Lincoln. After "the catch" I got crowd surfed (without wanting to be) 15 rows down. You may neg rep now. :P

goingoneight
8/25/2006, 09:47 PM
i once killed a bear with my bare hands and didn't even have to use a lint brush afterwards.

(oh, you mean OU related. he was wearing a sooners cap?) :D

CHUCK NORRIS!!! Can I have your autograph!?!?!?

Blue
8/25/2006, 10:53 PM
Sooner born in 1978. Nuff said.

Mile High Sooner
8/25/2006, 11:42 PM
As a Freshman, stepping onto the field for the first time in the early morning hours of Gameday and looking waaay up at the "new" addition on the West side...that's a Sooner moment I'll not forget. Don't remember who we beat on that Saturday but I do remember it being one of the loudest places I'd ever been in when we came running out of the tunnels for the Pre-Game show.:cool:

AlabamaSooner
8/26/2006, 01:01 AM
I grew up a life long Alabama fan, but realized that I wanted to go to OU for meteorology in the 7th grade. From that point on, I was a Sooner fan for life as well. It was a tough time to start out for sure (the John Blake years). However, I had plenty of pride in the school that I would attend in the future. I bought my own DeMond Parker jersey in 1997 (he's still my favorite OU player). I can remember wearing the jersey to school one day and a friend of mine who was an FSU fan would joke on OU because we were struggling so bad at the time. Needless to say, when my senior year hit and we won the national championship against FSU, I just smiled at him and said, "you have any more OU jokes for me now?" Sweet revenge for sure. Now I'm an OU alum and love my university more than ever. Boomer Sooner!

Two of my favorite games by far were the OU/Bama games. Absolute classics and the fan interaction was like nothing else I had ever seen. What great atmospheres.

The 2000 Rice game will always be special to me because it was my first OU game ever. I was visiting during my senior year in high school.

My first OU/Texas game was the "Superman Game" when I was a freshman. Couldn't have picked a better first RRS to attend.

The UNC game in 2001 ranks up there because it was my first OU game as a student (the storm was cool too).

The 2001 KSU game was special because of the huge atmosphere, the huge flag and the post-9/11 emotions.

The game at A&M in 2004 was UNREAL. What a great game to attend!

Attended last year's OU/NU game...although both teams weren't highly ranked, what a great college game to be at. So much history.

olevetonahill
8/26/2006, 01:14 AM
Sooner born in 1978. Nuff said.
Dayum Pup :P
Anyone here attend the "Ice Bowl ":eek:

soonercody
8/26/2006, 06:38 PM
First game OU vs aTm 1993. We won 44-14.
Saw every home game between then and '98. Been to Big D 6 times, away games in Notre Dame, NU, Baylor, TTech, oSu, and a couple bowl games.

I was one of a few handfuls of fans left in the stadium during some of the mid-'90s.

Best game ever, 2000 OU vs NU.

sparx1
8/27/2006, 11:26 AM
Well I thought maybe to help everyone review "who you are" and where you started with being a SOONER Fan - Lets get OUR Bragging rights in now down on a thread...And Maybe the next two weeks will go by faster....:)
Here's Mine....

First Sooner Game I saw ...1952 ND Won -But I became a Sooner Fan and got see Billy Vessels...Age 10...On a big 6 inch tv screen....:)

I've seen Every Sooner Bowl Since 1954 (Thats 34 Bowl Games) 21 wins - 12 loss's and one tie....

My First Sooner Game in a Real Stadium - South Bend Ind. October 27th 1956
OU 40 ND 0 --- :D (Tommy McDonald - Jerry Tubbs - Jimmy Harris - Clendon Thomas etc etc - age 14 - I was in Sooner Heaven) Win Number 35

I was at the *Last Win* of the 47 Straight Wins in Columbia Mo. (39 to 14)

I Had "The Original Newspaper Clippings" of every Win of the 47 Win Streak

YEP - I saw the next game after that (We know what happen there) The Streak was Gone --:(

Was at the 7 to 7 tie with usc (The Famous Joe Washington Punt return)

3 RRS Cotton Bowls - 2 Wins - 1 Loss

Been to 4 OU Bowl Games (63 Orange Bowl - Why I hate Bama) - 81 Sun Bowl - 2003 Rose Bowl - 2005 Holiday Bowl.... 3 wins - 1 loss

Only one game in Norman - OU vs Kansas 1964 or 65 (don't remember right now but we Won...!!! )

Followed every Season Since 1952 up to this years team.....

Don't want to talk about the Northwestern game in 59 (The Mafi Game)

Those are my Braggin' rights --- Now it's your Turn.......:)

Brag On - Rock on'

Let me give it a shot to all you young folks:

(1) I sat in the stadium @ USC for the 7-7 tie sitting next to prolific USC fan who saw Joe Washington for the first time and was genuinely excited.
(2) Saw first OU game in 1957
(3) Never missed Texas game: 1959-1965
(4) Remember funny names of good people like Horace Ivery, Elvis Peacock, Ladorpheus Stipling
(5) Live 1000 miles away but don't miss following my sooners;
(6) Trying to get decent tickets to Texas Tech game on Nov 11...can anybody help?