PDA

View Full Version : ASU QB wins strating job on friday

axiom
8/20/2006, 10:21 PM
quits on sunday. Keller Could sitout this year and play next at OU. Big time arm but possible small time brain ala bomar. Would be nice to have an experienced passer with a big time arm for next year.

Thats STARTING job btw*

boomrsoonr
8/20/2006, 10:29 PM
Link?

Ruuuuuufus
8/20/2006, 10:36 PM
They just had a top notch QB recruit leave for Texas Tech as well.

Sources: QB Keller leaves ASU despite winning job
ESPN.com news services

Arizona State appears to have changed quarterbacks again, and the move has little to do with touchdowns, completions or interceptions.

A source close to the situation has told ESPN's Joe Schad that Sam Keller, who was named the Sun Devils' starting quarterback on Friday, was not at practice on Sunday night and has left the team.

ASU coach Dirk Kotter said the program would have a major announcement after Sunday night's practice.

The East Valley Tribune had reported on Sunday that several players asked for a meeting with Koetter in which they said that Rudy Carpenter should have been named the starter. Koetter had admitted on Friday that the battle was a close one.

"This was such a close competition, I asked both the guys one night at Camp [Tontozona], if you guys want to do it, let's play two quarterbacks. I've done that before and I can do it again if you want to do it," he said. "They didn't want to do it, so I had to make a decision on one guy."

Unconfirmed reports indicated that the announcement that Keller would start prompted Carpenter, a sophomore, to consider leaving the program, according to The Arizona Republic.

Keller started for injured Andrew Walter in the 2004 Sun Bowl when he threw for 370 yards and three touchdowns and was named MVP in a 27-23 victory over Purdue. He looked just as spectacular early last season, throwing four touchdowns in each of his first four starts and for more than 300 yards in four of his first six games.

But the Sun Devils lost four of their first seven games, and Keller threw five interceptions in a 38-28 loss to USC. Keller was then hurt during a 45-35 loss to Stanford.

Carpenter sparked the Sun Devils to a 4-1 record in their last five games. He threw for 2,273 yards and 17 touchdowns and led the country in pass efficiency (175.01). He was named MVP in a 45-40 victory over Rutgers in the Insight Bowl after throwing for 467 yards and four touchdowns.

Keller still has a redshirt season and also could play immediately at a Division I-AA school.

Without Keller, freshman Danny Sullivan probably will be forced to play as Carpenter's backup. Brett Boon and Dax Crum are the other quarterback options.

But the ASU source also told ESPN's Schad that Koetter is hoping Keller will change his mind and attend ASU's first day of classes on Monday.

ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach contributed to this report.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2555948

Ruuuuuufus
8/20/2006, 10:38 PM
whoops double post

axiom
8/20/2006, 10:42 PM
One guy said that Keller is kind of an arrogent *** and that he parties way to much. rumor is he did something pretty bad and the coach asked the team if he should remain the starter, they said no, and keller left.

Rhino
8/20/2006, 10:44 PM
Weird. Keller was lights out the first half of last year.

axiom
8/20/2006, 10:47 PM
Weird. Keller was lights out the first half of last year.

Thats why he should be at OU competing for the starting job next year :)

sooner94
8/20/2006, 10:57 PM
Guys, we don't need anymore headcases at QB. Guys like Josh Heupel are what we need.

axiom
8/20/2006, 11:07 PM
Guys, we don't need anymore headcases at QB. Guys like Josh Heupel are what we need.

Guys like Josh are pretty common. Wonder why we havent picked up a couple more?

sooner94
8/20/2006, 11:12 PM
Those types are pretty common. Wonder why we havent picked up a couple more?

Actually, I don't think guys like Josh are very common, at least above the shoulders. Obviously the physical tools were not all world, but above the shoulders was all universe.

One of the memorable moments from the Orange Bowl in 2000 was when we were up 6-0 and FSU had a drive going. I was nervous, hoping we could hang on, and then the camera showed Josh walking up and down the sideline talking to the offensive players to get them fired up. That's when I knew we would win the game no matter what.

Axiom- Are you being sarcastic? I did not get that at first, but now I might be seeing it. Sorry, barbecue tonight at my house and I have had numerous beverages. Tomorow morning will be VERY unproductive to say the least.

axiom
8/21/2006, 12:53 AM
Actually, I don't think guys like Josh are very common, at least above the shoulders. Obviously the physical tools were not all world, but above the shoulders was all universe.

One of the memorable moments from the Orange Bowl in 2000 was when we were up 6-0 and FSU had a drive going. I was nervous, hoping we could hang on, and then the camera showed Josh walking up and down the sideline talking to the offensive players to get them fired up. That's when I knew we would win the game no matter what.

Axiom- Are you being sarcastic? I did not get that at first, but now I might be seeing it. Sorry, barbecue tonight at my house and I have had numerous beverages. Tomorow morning will be VERY unproductive to say the least.

haha yeah I was being sarcastic.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/21/2006, 12:57 AM
Guys like Josh are pretty common. Wonder why we havent picked up a couple more?

well, we took bomar over paul smith...

batonrougesooner
8/21/2006, 02:02 AM
"This was such a close competition, I asked both the guys one night at Camp [Tontozona], if you guys want to do it, let's play two quarterbacks. I've done that before and I can do it again if you want to do it," he said. "They didn't want to do it, so I had to make a decision on one guy."

Could you ever imagine Stoops handling that this way? Is this guy the head coach or class president? How weak.

VolinArizona
8/21/2006, 08:17 AM
Isn't it pretty rare when a D1 player transfers that they end up at a better school than before?

Big Red Ron
8/21/2006, 09:24 AM
Isn't it pretty rare when a D1 player transfers that they end up at a better school than before?Maybe because most go to JR. College or DII to not sit out.

Lynn McGrudder transfered here and ended up at a better school than he transfered from.

Rhino
8/21/2006, 09:47 AM
Lynn McGrudder transfered here and ended up at a better school than he transfered from. I wish AllVol wasn't banned so we could have him poorly argue against this point.

The Maestro
8/21/2006, 10:41 AM
Well, listening to sports radio in Phoenix this morning I thought about Keller to OU as well. Koetter is taking a beating from radio guys and fans calling in. Apparently, he named Keller the starter and then changed his mind a few days later. That is not fair to Keller and if he is ****ed he has every right to be.

I haven't read or heard anything out here about Keller being a party boy. Heck, his first game for ASU he started the Sun Bowl after Andrew Walter got hurt and threw for about 400 yards. Great arm and runs the ball well, too.

If his leaving is due to Koetter's handling of the situation and not some unknown problems I think OU should at least make a call to him. Find out for themselves and that would be an incredible pick up for next year's Sooner team. Sam would be crazy not to do it...sit out a year and start for THIS offense next season. He would get a lot more publicity and exposure then going 1-AA this year.

Check out his stats from last year, especially against LSU!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=144960

Had a rough second half against USC, but a few of his five picks were easily blamed on receivers...they took a beating on the radio out here for lack of effort on a couple of balls that hit them in the hands and ended up in USC's DB's.

VolinArizona
8/21/2006, 12:03 PM
Maybe because most go to JR. College or DII to not sit out.

Lynn McGrudder transfered here and ended up at a better school than he transfered from.

I didn't say it never happened, I asked if it were pretty rare.