PDA

View Full Version : Great snaps from Oshkosh 2006

Okla-homey
8/20/2006, 05:27 PM
If you don't like these pics you are mentally flawed and need to see a chiropractor stat.

http://silvairehair2.home.comcast.net/072806/

Wishboned
8/20/2006, 05:35 PM
Those are great pictures. Just awe inspiring.

Rogue
8/20/2006, 05:35 PM
Nice. Too bad about the fires or they might of had some good shots of the Tetons from the WY and the ID sides. Paradise I tell ya.

Tiptonsooner
8/20/2006, 06:15 PM
Awesome pics, thanks for the link.

jk the sooner fan
8/20/2006, 07:25 PM
those are very cool pics!!!!

homey - splain this please?
are around 7,000 feet elevation and during this hottest summer on record
the density altitudes were reading close to the service ceilings of many general aviation aircraft

SoonerBorn68
8/20/2006, 11:16 PM
Way cool, Homey. I'm so jealous. It's been a life's dream to get up to Wisconsin for that show.

badger
8/20/2006, 11:25 PM
I grew up near Oshkosh. Was your flying part of the Airshow weekend? That's always a huge draw for Oshkosh--- that and heavy drinking on thier campus.

StoopTroup
8/20/2006, 11:46 PM
I've always wanted to go there during the big event.

I forgot that on the "things to do before you die" list.

Great Link

Okla-homey
8/21/2006, 06:49 AM
those are very cool pics!!!!

homey - splain this please?

Three things....and I am simplifying here so please no neggin' from aerospace engineer types. :D

First, and perhaps most importantly, above about 10,000 feet above sea level, there isn't usually enough oxygen in the air for you to breathe without suffering "hypoxia" which can make you feel and act drunk...which is bad when you're flying an airplane. If you have a pressurized cabin like a commercial airliner, no biggy...but these old ragwings and less expensive civil aircraft normally don't feature pressurized cabins or on-board oxygen supplies. Interestingly, Okie Wiley Post developed the first successful "pressure suit" which allowed him to set altitude records in non-pressurized aircraft. Also, and as an aside, smokers walk around at sea-level under conditions in which their brain feels its at 8000 feet because the carbon monoxide in the smoke gets in their blood. Thus, a smoker at 10,000 MSL feels and acts like he is at 18,000!!!

Secondly, normally, reciprocating engine (non-turbine, like your car and lawn mower) aircraft have a "service ceiling" above which there isn't enough oxygen in the outside air to support efficient ignition in the cylinders. Thus a loss of power or even a total engine shutdown is possible. That's bad too.

Finally, depending on the design of the wing, aicraft need a certain air density to develop enough lift to take off and remain in flight. The higher you are, the less dense the air, and unless you have enough power to increase your speed to make up for the less dense air, you just hurtle down the runway without ever lifting off, or if already airborne, you can fall out of the sky. Not good. In the winter, when dense cold air rules, you can often operate out of airfields at high elevations which would be impossible on hot days when less dense warm air rules.

Does that help?

8/21/2006, 06:52 AM
So was this a trip YOU made, Col. Homey? Looks like a very, very enjoyable excursion.

"Chiropractor." Hey.

Okla-homey
8/21/2006, 07:04 AM
So was this a trip YOU made, Col. Homey? Looks like a very, very enjoyable excursion.

"Chiropractor." Hey.

No, not me. I've been there, but not like God intended in a ragwing. The link was sent to me by an old AF buddy.

jk the sooner fan
8/21/2006, 07:06 AM
thanks homey - now i understand

Sooner_Bob
8/21/2006, 07:49 AM
Simply awesome.

God does good work doesn't he.

Okla-homey
8/21/2006, 08:20 AM
Simply awesome.

God does good work doesn't he.

Best universe creator evar.