PDA

View Full Version : OU helmets to have Gautt's #38 this year

OKC-SLC
8/20/2006, 02:06 PM
Hadn't seen this posted yet. I remember as a freshman at OU reading about Prentice Gautt, and the more I have learned about him over the last 10+ years, the more I am so proud he was a Sooner.

http://www.newsok.com/article/2833843/?template=sports/ou

NORMAN - Oklahoma’s No. 38 is “sitting out” this season.
The jersey, not a player.

In a move decades in the making, it’s a salute to Prentice Gautt, who broke OU’s color barrier 50 years ago this fall. No Sooner will wear Gautt’s 38 this season, although every Sooner will feature a 38, with decals affixed to all helmets.

Reminiscent of the tribute recently orchestrated by Major League Baseball for its brave race pioneer, Jackie Robinson, OU is honoring Gautt for his own challenging journey as the first African-American athlete on campus in 1956.

“In a way, he’s Oklahoma’s Jackie Robinson,” said Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione. “Very, very similar. Pioneers of that era.”

Since his days as a star athlete and student, OU has maintained the legacy of Gautt, who died in March of 2005.

The athletic department academic center bears his name, with a large photo of a smiling Gautt, situated behind a mound of textbooks, greeting all those who pass through its doors at the North end of Memorial Stadium. Several other photos of Gautt hang in buildings on campus.

Gautt’s name was attached to the academic center in 1999. In 2003, he was granted an honorary doctorate from the university.

In 2004, the Big 12 Conference, for whom Gautt worked, named its postgraduate scholarships in his honor. Two months after his death, he was posthumously given the 2005 Outstanding Contribution to Amateur Football Award by The National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame.

“Prentice took a very important step in the history of this university and football program, but he didn’t stop there,” Sooners coach Bob Stoops said. “He achieved many things in his life and won the respect of everyone he met.

“It is important for our players and our university to remember people like Prentice and it is right for us to honor him in this way.”

A numbers game

Oklahoma resists any movement to retire football numbers, no matter how fitting the gesture.

For one, where would the Sooners start? Of for that matter stop?

Yet if OU did decide to retire numbers, starting might actually be easy - with Gautt.

“Absolutely,” athletic director Joe Castiglione said.

Gautt was a sensational athlete, twice All-Big Eight and the MVP of the 1959 Orange Bowl. Led the Sooners in rushing in ’58 and ’59.

And he was so much more. Gautt not only broke the color barrier, despite facing many of the same discriminatory acts as Robinson, but he also excelled in the classroom and built a bridge for many to follow, at OU and elsewhere.

Right man, right time

Eventually, Prentice Gautt grew to become a fan favorite at OU.

Eventually.

Oklahoma first started admitting black students on a nonsegregated basis in 1950. Final restrictions on undergraduate enrollment were lifted for the 1955-56 academic year.

It was then that Sooners coach Bud Wilkinson sought to integrate his team.

“In this part of the country, that was a monumental decision,” Castiglione said.

At Texas and Arkansas, integration didn’t reach the football teams until a decade later. By then, the Sooners featured a black quarterback and captain.

Still, in 1956, Wilkinson recognized the magnitude of such a move. Not unlike the Dodgers’ Branch Rickey with Jackie Robinson, Wilkinson understood the certain trials that awaited OU’s first black player.

“My father knew it would take a special person,” Wilkinson’s son Jay told mourners at Gautt’s funeral. “He knew it would take someone with a deep intellectual capacity as well as an inner strength.”

Gautt, who played in the state’s first integrated game at Douglass and was the first black to play in the coaches All-State Game, was that special person.

To deflect criticism, a group of black Oklahoma City professionals had raised the funds to pay Gautt’s enrollment at OU. A few months later, Wilkinson gave them their money back and put Gautt on scholarship.

Wilkinson led the Sooners to three national championships, a record 47-game winning streak and forged a football powerhouse. Yet, Jay Wilkinson said his proudest achievement was integrating the football program, and essentially, the entire athletic department.

After OU

Gautt’s journey as the first black athlete at OU was only a beginning.

He went on to play eight seasons in the NFL with Cleveland and St. Louis, before turning to a career in athletics administration. Gautt coached for Dan Devine at Missouri, where he received a doctorate in counseling psychology.

Later he joined the Big Eight Conference as an assistant commissioner, then served as special assistant to the commissioner with the Big 12. Along the way, Gautt made friends and impressions.

“Prentice was my hero when I was an 8-year-old OU fanatic,” said Bill Hancock, who worked with Gautt. “At times, when you grow up, you discover your heroes are not what they seem. When I got to be Prentice’s friend, I found out he was even more than he seemed.”

Remembering “38”

“When you mention Prentice Gautt’s name anywhere in college football, people stop and there’s a feeling that comes over them,” Castiglione said. “Hopefully this will inspire others to learn more about this incredible human being.”

Gautt made a difference 50 years ago. It is OU’s intention to keep his memory fresh.

“In honoring Prentice Gautt, the university is helping all of us to remember that one person can make a difference in the society in which we live,” said OU president David Boren.

Octavian
8/20/2006, 02:16 PM
Good article on Gautt and a very cool idea IMO.

At Texas and Arkansas, integration didn’t reach the football teams until a decade later. By then, the Sooners featured a black quarterback and captain.

That's misleading. The '69 UT-Arky game featured two all-white teams playing for the NC.

It took them longer than a decade after OU.

To deflect criticism, a group of black Oklahoma City professionals had raised the funds to pay Gautt’s enrollment at OU. A few months later, Wilkinson gave them their money back and put Gautt on scholarship.

classic Bud.

Flagstaffsooner
8/20/2006, 02:36 PM
Anyone remember him on the CH 13 PE show from the 1960's?
Arrivederci.

snp
8/20/2006, 02:52 PM
Retire his freaking number. He deserves it.

Partial Qualifier
8/20/2006, 03:52 PM

It was TGRW's number too... I say retire it! :D

Readyfor8
8/20/2006, 03:54 PM

We don't retire numbers at OU, and there is a reason for that. One big reason is there wouldn't be enough numbers left to field a team. Another is Honor's are a legacy things for Coach's and Athletic Director's. Retiring a number becomes another +1 to an AD's resume instead of the honor it deserves. Imagine John Blake pushing to have a number retired, or Gibbs, Schnelly, or any other hiccup in our history. In the end it turns into a politics thing instead of an honor thing.

He deffinatly deserves it, if we ever decided to retire numbers he should be one of the first. Instead how about naming a section of the stadium after our Hiesman Winners or Outstanding Players like Prentice. That way when the we do honor a player like this year we can honor the section by having them stand during a moment of silence or something of the like.

EDIT: BTW that was a GREAT article, almost brought a tear to my eye. Great great article.

King Crimson
8/20/2006, 04:04 PM
i read a similar article about Prentice at yahoo sports this AM.

I could see retiring 38 for Gautt. I could also see Roy and JD living with it. what an honor to share that number.

but overall, i agree with not retiring football numbers. how many 20's or 4's.....

Blues1
8/20/2006, 04:04 PM
Amen -- I saw him play in 59 The Orange Bowl -- I was 16 years Old -- If I remember Right :confused: - First two plays of the game were -- Gautt to the right for 12 yards - Gautt to the Left - TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA...!!!!

He was the Man..!!

Flagstaffsooner
8/20/2006, 04:16 PM
Amen -- I saw him play in 59 The Orange Bowl -- I was 16 years Old -- If I remember Right :confused: - First two plays of the game were -- Gautt to the right for 12 yards - Gautt to the Left - TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA...!!!!

He was the Man..!!Would that be '57 against Duke?

Blues1
8/20/2006, 04:23 PM
Would that be '57 against Duke?

Nope -- it was 59 vs Syracuse

Final Score OU 20 -Orangeman 6 (Sorry I forgot a extra point - it was 21 to 6....)

We were Rockin'

AlbqSooner
8/20/2006, 06:43 PM
That's misleading. The '69 UT-Arky game featured two all-white teams playing for the NC.
Jon Richardson was the piggies first black player. A running back. 1974, I think.

Legendarybud
8/20/2006, 07:48 PM
Another article in the paper stated that Prentice's family plus the surviving members of the 1956 football team would be honored at the OU-Colorado game on October 21.

jk the sooner fan
8/20/2006, 08:36 PM
there are a bunch of schools that "retire" jersey #'s in honor of a certain player, but keep the jersey active for somebody to wear

in lieu of that, there could always be some equivalent to the ring of honor

but that would be a VERY big ring! :)

OKC-SLC
8/20/2006, 09:00 PM
big ring indeed. i think it is more honorable that we don't retire numbers, personally. i don't know, something about how no single person is bigger than the program or its posterity.

snp
8/20/2006, 09:01 PM
We don't retire numbers at OU, and there is a reason for that. One big reason is there wouldn't be enough numbers left to field a team.

We don't retire numbers for great players. I don't care about that. We should retire just his because what he did for OU. I don't think any other player can say they've done as much as him, so we shouldn't have a cause of concern for this becoming the norm.

Oh god, hurry up and end offseason. We're arguing retireing jerseys.

badger
8/20/2006, 09:09 PM

Retire it... for average players. Only have awesome players (like Roy Williams) wear it. :D

Desert Sapper
8/20/2006, 09:22 PM
We don't retire numbers for great players. I don't care about that. We should retire just his because what he did for OU. I don't think any other player can say they've done as much as him, so we shouldn't have a cause of concern for this becoming the norm.

I agree. There is a huge difference between retiring the numbers of Heisman winners, multiple All-Americans, etc. and retiring the number of a man that meant more to the University as a player than any other in its history. He fought the racial issues and criticism. He battled it all, and that is bigger than any of his accomplishments on the field. Retire 38 and no other numbers. Imagine the significance of that message.

Miko
8/20/2006, 11:07 PM
One big reason is there wouldn't be enough numbers left to field a team.

We could resort to decimal points or fractions! 36 might get retired, but 3.6 is still open!:D

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/21/2006, 11:51 AM
It was TGRW's number too... I say retire it! :D

Don't retire it, but give it to someone who makes an impact on the team and is a great individual/player similar to the 12th Man at A&M. Have the team vote on someone who deserves it at the beginning of the year and have them wear it all year long as a remembrance to the great one who came before that person who wore #38.

It is people like Prentice Gautt that make me glad I am a Sooner!

OU-HSV
8/21/2006, 08:29 PM
Nice read

HarrisTubbsFan
8/22/2006, 01:24 PM
You don't retire numbers at OU IMO. Maybe you can retire jersey's like they did in OU BBall in the past.

Mookie Blaylock's jersey number 10 was retired but Hollis Price wore 10 along with Johnson and others.

3 great players have worn 38 off the top of my head. Gautt, Roy Williams, and JD Runnels. I'm sure other good players have worn the number also.

11 is probably the number you wear for a great Sooner. Tinker Owens, Jack Mildren, Teddy Lehman, Ontei Jones, Bobby Warmack.

King Crimson
8/22/2006, 01:30 PM
11 is probably the number you wear for a great Sooner. Tinker Owens, Jack Mildren, Teddy Lehman, Ontei Jones, Bobby Warmack.

i'd prolly vote for 20. Billy Sims, Rocky Calmus, Spencer Tillmon....

HarrisTubbsFan
8/22/2006, 01:39 PM
It's up there.

1(Bradley, Bradley, Watts,), 4(Peacock, Hollieway, Rhymes) are up there too.