PDA

View Full Version : Good Article On Halzle

FaninAma
8/19/2006, 05:38 PM
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_4206916

I don't think we should write the kid off yet.

Sooner or later ...
Halzle's break may happen at Oklahoma
BY RAMONA SHELBURNE, Columnist
It would've been easy to quit. It would've been even easier to settle. Nobody would've blamed him.
But when Joey Halzle closed his eyes and tried to picture himself doing something other than playing football, all he saw was a lifetime of regret and disappointment.
"It didn't make sense to not play any more. That's just what I do," he said.
"I figure, you only have one shot at it now, you might as well take it when you get it."
The thing is, coming out of high school, Halzle's shot at playing big-time Division I football was more like a half-court prayer.
Frankly, the shot didn't look good at first. It was off-line, off-course ... off-road even. But Halzle never lost sight of his dream and twoweeks ago, his shot finally swished through the net.
Halzle's name flashed across the national headlines as the de facto starter for preseason national title contender Oklahoma after starting quarterback Rhett Bomar was dismissed from the team for accepting extra benefits from a car dealership.
Halzle has since been named the back-up to senior Paul Thompson, but that's only because Thompson has more experience running the Sooners' offense.
You might remember Halzle from somewhere else, though. As a junior, he was an All-Southern Section quarterback at Oaks Christian of Westlake Village. Led the Lions to the Div. XIII semifinals in 2002.
But the next year, a strong-armed freshman named Jimmy came along and pushed him for playing time.
Yeah, that Jimmy. Today he goes by nicknames like "LeBron" or "The Kid with the Golden Arm."
There's no shame in losing your job to a kid who turned into the No. 1 prospect in the country.
But as Halzle says, "If you show me someone who likes getting pulled off the field, they're not a real football player."
Oaks Christian coach Bill Redell doesn't blame him. It wasn't easy for him to sit Halzle in favor of the kid, even if the kid was Jimmy Clausen.
"Joey's a very competitive guy," Redell said. "He didn't like it, and I don't blame him. But it was one of those decisions we just had to make."
For most of the year, Halzle played about two-thirds of every game, and Clausen the rest.
But in the Southern Section championship game, the roles reversed. Halzle started and played the first quarter. Clausen came in for the second quarter.
Before the game, Redell and his offensive coordinator, Mark Bates, decided to stick with whoever had looked sharper in the firsthalf.
At halftime, they decided it was Clausen and he finished out the game while Halzle watched from the sidelines.
That would've been a hard pill for anyone to swallow. The next year, life tossed him an even bigger one.
He broke his ankle during fall practice in his freshman year at Golden West College in Huntington Beach.
It had been a little risky to pass on the few scholarship offers he had out of high school in favor of playing at a junior college. Now, with a broken ankle, he'd lost another season. http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gifhttp://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gifhttp://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gifAdvertisementGetAd('tile','box','/sports_article','','www.dailynews.com','','null',' null'); http://oascentral.zwire.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_nx.ads/www.dailynews.com/knbc300X250.html/@Topx (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/) http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N1068.dotconnect.com/B1997939;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;ord=88656136 9 (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gifhttp://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/std/clear.gif
"I was kind of lost for a few days after that," Halzle said. "I went to JC just to play football and I couldn't play. But I just had to flip it around and use it to my advantage, use the time to get better and stronger."
After gray-shirting for one year, Halzle got back on track. He threw for 2,077 yards and 13 touchdowns in 10 games in 2005.
His mom, Teresa, started up the marketing campaign, sending out tapes and letters to programs all over the country. His private coach, former CFL and Rams quarterback Rick Johnson, followed up with a call.
This time, the schools came to Halzle. Letters arrived from places like Michigan, Oklahoma and Wyoming. Halzle scheduled recruiting visits. The first one was to Norman, Okla.
"Once he went to Oklahoma, he cancelled all his other trips," Teresa Halzle said. "He knew that's where he wanted to go."
The Sooners wined and dined him, took him to the football stadium for dinner and turned on all the lights. It's hard to say for sure, but this was what every little boy's dreams look like.
They told him he would get the same chance anyone else had to play.
The highly-regarded Bomar was the incumbent starter, but Sooners coach Bob Stoops has never been afraid to open a position up for competition.
It took a while for Halzle to believe he'd really made it to the big time.
For awhile, he half-expected someone to pull the rug out from under him and have it all go away, because it had happened that way so many times before.
"You finally get what you want and it's like, `Huh, I can't believe this actually happened."'
Still, he admits that it felt a little good to be able to silence those who might've doubted him in high school.
"There was a chip on my shoulder for a while," he said. "Not in terms of harboring bad feelings. More like, `If that's what you think, I'll have to prove people wrong.'
"But that all seems like a different lifetime. It's all in the past."
Nowadays, he's too busy worrying about learning the playbook and avoiding the rush. Thompson might officially be the starter, but the job is still up for grabs.
And as long as Halzle has a dream, you have to figure he's got a shot.
This time he's got a much better look at the basket. [email protected] ([email protected]) (818) 713-3617

Big Red Ron
8/19/2006, 05:48 PM
He shouldn't be written off. He still has three years left. This year, he needs some good mop up time and maybe he can beat out our Freshman next year.

FaninAma
8/19/2006, 06:10 PM
He shouldn't be written off. He still has three years left. This year, he needs some good mop up time and maybe he can beat out our Freshman next year.

I just have gut feeling about Halzle. In the practices I watched he just seemed to have some intangibles that you can't coach. I think he needs some experience and good coaching. He's getting both at OU and he has somethnig to prove.

I'm glad he came to OU.

Big Red Ron
8/19/2006, 06:23 PM
I'm glad he came too but a Senior getting beat out by a Freshman(I don't care who it is) isn't good.

I hope he works out but whether it's him or Bradford or whomever, I'm sure we'll be fine next year.

FaninAma
8/19/2006, 06:29 PM
I'm glad he came too but a Senior getting beat out by a Freshman(I don't care who it is) isn't good.

I hope he works out but whether it's him or Bradford or whomever, I'm sure we'll be fine next year.

I wouldn't say Halzle got beat out. He played 2/3 of the game and Clausen played 1/3 until the last game. And it sounds like there was some politics at play in that siutation. I'm sure Clausen's father probably shares some of the same qualities as Bomar's does.

What was Huepel's high school career like?

Big Red Ron
8/19/2006, 06:40 PM
I was sure that Tommy Grady was the real deal and from what I've seen from both, Grady is still the better QB.

Halzle, while I'm sure a nice fellow was brought here to back up Bomar for three years. Let's be honest. He may never be the starter at OU.

Octavian
8/19/2006, 07:20 PM
:les: Put in Rawls!!

he does sound like a good guy.

we better not discount him at all....he's an injury away from being our starter

FlatheadSooner
8/19/2006, 07:34 PM
Hopefully Stoops and troups see something special in him. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

It would be awesome if OU played ND for BCS game and Joey got chance to beat Clausen.

Widescreen
8/19/2006, 09:19 PM
Some of you people need to think back about one Jason White and his horrible performance at Tulsa. There's no substitute for experience. I'm not trying to say Halzle is the next White or Heupel but let's give him a chance to develop and see what happens.

olevetonahill
8/19/2006, 09:52 PM
Some of you people need to think back about one Jason White and his horrible performance at Tulsa. There's no substitute for experience. I'm not trying to say Halzle is the next White or Heupel but let's give him a chance to develop and see what happens.
Agreed
sometimes it sounds like folks here think Coach is stupid for going after this young man
Damm it man in 99 Im saying where in hell they find this kid :D

FaninAma
8/19/2006, 10:17 PM
BTW, have any of the QB's with the last name of Clausen ever lived up to their hype coming out of high school?

westcoast_sooner
8/19/2006, 11:41 PM
I'm 100% behind PT this year, but I hope Halzle does well in his career. I like his attitude, and have always felt like a guy who wants to go out and prove himself has some advantages over a guy who has been handed everything. PT is the same kind of guy, and due to his experience with the Sooner offence, at least deserves the starting job. But Halzle can't be counted out and you gotta like the JH initials. Good luck Joey.

GottaHavePride
8/19/2006, 11:48 PM
I hope they both kick ***. But does anyone else think Tommy Grady must be kicking himself right now?

hawaii 5-0
8/20/2006, 03:38 AM
I hope Halzle gets some playing time early on. Confidence can pay dividends later.

:cool: 5-0

Chuck Bao
8/20/2006, 04:08 AM
Great article. I want this kid to do well and win us a couple of BIG XII championships and at least one glass football.

But, I'm confused about his years of eligibility. He has another two years left after this year?

Flagstaffsooner
8/20/2006, 05:37 AM
I hope they both kick ***. But does anyone else think Tommy Grady must be kicking himself right now?And be a back up at Utah, nah.;)

Widescreen
8/20/2006, 08:25 AM
But, I'm confused about his years of eligibility. He has another two years left after this year?
Yes.