PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame player ineligible?

NDIrish
8/19/2006, 02:33 PM
Thought you might enjoy this article.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwayne/sports/15311433.htm

OUGreg723
8/19/2006, 02:43 PM
Stupid NCAA rules. As long as they arent getting paid, who the heck cares. I know Soonersports.com is part of the ou athletic dept., but what is really the difference of having OU players advertise for the O-Zone? None. I hate the NCAA. Good kids shouldnt suffer from this, especially if they werent informed.

NDIrish
8/19/2006, 02:45 PM
Stupid NCAA rules. As long as they arent getting paid, who the heck cares. I know Soonersports.com is part of the ou athletic dept., but what is really the difference of having OU players advertise for the O-Zone? None. I hate the NCAA. Good kids shouldnt suffer from this, especially if they werent informed.

To quote rick reilly: "The NCAA makes Nurse Ratched look open minded."

TheGodfather889
8/19/2006, 03:00 PM
NCAA still sucks.

sooner94
8/19/2006, 03:22 PM
I think Leinart got in trouble last year for doing something similar, maybe for something he said for an ESPN clip.

Funny how the NCAA seems to focus on little meaningless things like this, and then ignores some of the bigger violations.

I don't think these players will miss an games, as Leinart did not miss any games last year. Seems like ND should get the same preferential red carpet treatment as USC.

Big Red Ron
8/19/2006, 05:32 PM
To quote Brian Bosworth"...National Communists Against Athletics"

SoonerJLB
8/19/2006, 08:58 PM
I know there are a lot of NCAA rules that are BS...that is one of them. Nothing will come of it. OU has had its share of BS NCAA violation witch hunts. Really, the main rule that really affects the play on field is if Boosters or staff pays Blue Chip caliber players to come play for them. So many of the NCAA vilolation allegations are just things that happen when players that are already established on a team and either are in dire need of some help with family situations, do stupid and greedy things (Buckmar) or are asked to do or do minor things that they do know are against NCAA regulations.

sooneron
8/20/2006, 08:15 PM
ND won't even be looked at for this. They could have rolled out a wheel barrel of money and given it to Clausen's dad when he committed, and nothing would have happened. B/c that, would be bad for college football. :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
8/20/2006, 08:25 PM
The NCAA ought to make ND come play a game in Norman as punishment. :D

Desert Sapper
8/20/2006, 08:35 PM
I think this may be among the dumbest of the NCAA rules. Of course, I also think Play Station games should be allowed to use real NCAA player names, provided they don't get paid for it. Who gives a crap if Player X does a promo spot for a show or product if he doesn't get paid? The only possible problem I can see is that it sort of allows corporate entities to use players for their promotional value. But if it's with the players' consent, who gives a crap? Just sayin...

stonecoldsoonerfan
8/20/2006, 08:39 PM
[espn pundit] BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN!! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE TO COLLEGE ATHLETICS!! THEY SHOULD FIRE THE SOONER COACH...I MEAN, THE IRISH COACH!! THEY'R RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS NO MATTER WHAT!! THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE HERE!! THEY'RE RUNNING A RENEGADE PROGRAM THERE AND THEN NEED TO CLEAN HOUSE NOW!!!!!!!!!" [/espn pundit]

jwlynn64
8/21/2006, 01:45 AM
I can't remember when I read about a similar incident. Maybe last season but the student wasn't banned. The ad was just pulled.

Shouldn't be big deal.

opksooner
8/21/2006, 02:38 PM
Can anyone explain the reasoning behind the NCAA's decisions that:

1) Prevented Jeremy Bloom from going pro in skiing and continuing to play FB at CU, but...

2) Allowed a player to play pro ba$eball while playing FB at ND?

That is just messed up.

soonerreign
8/21/2006, 02:43 PM
The difference is that Jeremy Bloom wanted to get endorsement deals for his skiing.

jwlynn64
8/21/2006, 03:18 PM
The difference is that Jeremy Bloom wanted to get endorsement deals for his skiing.

The deal was the Jeremy Bloom did get endorsements for his skiing. You can earn money in another sport but you can't get endorsements.

I guess they are concerned that the endorsements would be from his fame as a football player and not necessarily from his skiing.

Soonerfan88
8/21/2006, 09:57 PM
They are being sued again...

The NCAA has denied the eligibility appeal of Kansas defensive tackle Eric Butler, who argued for an extra year of eligibility after missing the 2001 season following the birth of his daughter. Arguing there should be a waiver for paternity leave, Butler has also filed a federal civil rights lawsuit alleging the NCAA violated Title IX since its waiver that allows time off for pregnancy applies only to females.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/2006-08-15-kansas-appeal_x.htm?csp=34

He participated in only 2 years out of his 5. Has the NCAA ever won a lawsuit?

As for the ND player, it will amount to nothing just as Leinart's situation w/ESPN.

sooneron
8/21/2006, 10:03 PM
Which is really the only way for bump skiiers to earn a living.
I can see the ad now "We're Nordica Boots, you know Bloom, that guy that returns punts for the Buffs uses our boots.":rolleyes:

NDIrish
8/21/2006, 11:41 PM
Can anyone explain the reasoning behind the NCAA's decisions that:

1) Prevented Jeremy Bloom from going pro in skiing and continuing to play FB at CU, but...

2) Allowed a player to play pro ba$eball while playing FB at ND?

That is just messed up.

Have you ever seen a professional skier? Their gear is covered with logos for companies. Not to mention all of the free stuff that they get from said company.

The NCAA allows one amateur sport as long as you do not take endorsements.

jwlynn64
8/22/2006, 09:02 AM
Have you ever seen a professional skier? Their gear is covered with logos for companies. Not to mention all of the free stuff that they get from said company.

The NCAA allows one amateur sport as long as you do not take endorsements.

Did you mean pro?

Mr Pat
8/22/2006, 01:47 PM
People here are saying things like, "Well it's ND, so they're gonna get off scott free!"

But come on now do you think the NCAA would make someone sit out for an extended period of time because of something like this? The NCAA is a joke but to chalk this up "Domers getting unfair treatment" is just your bias speaking.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/22/2006, 11:57 PM
Thought the thread was titled "Notre Dame players inexcusable", and was ready to offer kudos.

Desert Sapper
8/23/2006, 12:07 AM
People here are saying things like, "Well it's ND, so they're gonna get off scott free!"

But come on now do you think the NCAA would make someone sit out for an extended period of time because of something like this? The NCAA is a joke but to chalk this up "Domers getting unfair treatment" is just your bias speaking.

Why, Pat, you're absolutely right. Notre Dame never receives unfair media or NCAA bias. Not with regard to NCAA rule violations, not with regard to the Heisman Trophy, not with regard to TV contracts, and certainly not with regard to bowl game selection...

*cough* bulls*** *cough*

Mr Pat
8/23/2006, 03:37 PM
Alright, you know what, you're right. Give me examples where Notre Dame has recieved unfair bias in terms of rule violations. This situation not counting because it was a non issue last year when the player in question did not miss a game.

Heisman trophy consideration. You mean like when Ty Detmer won it over the Rocket? Maybe way back when a long time ago but now players vote for the Heisman winners. Unless former players have bias towards Notre Dame, your argument is one of anger, not of anything else.

Now we make it to TV contracts. Notre Dame (like it accept it, or don't) Notre Dame always fills out their stadium, fills other teams stadiums, gets great ratings, and plays a national schedule. Even during the bad years (Davieham anyone?) they still do all those things. Why wouldn't a station want to broadcast their games. The Big 10 is getting their own TV contract for football, does the media now have a love affair with the Big 10?

And now we get to bowl consideration. First off awhile ago (does anyone have the dates) Notre Dame and I believe the team was Miami were #1 and #2. Miami beat ND, then lost to an unranked opponent at home. The two teams still ended up #1 and #2, but they let Miami into the National Championship game. Nothing to complain about, they beat ND head to head. Jump ahead to 1993. ND and FSU are #1 and #2... Notre Dame beat FSU in what many call "The Game of the Century." Then the Irish go on to get beat by unranked BC. This time, the media and their love affair with the Irish, do a 360 and let FSU into the national championship. Stupid Irish and the media love affair with them. As for this year, all those teams that were vying for the Fiesta Bowl had a legitamite reason to want to be there. But when you have a bunch of deserving teams the bowl selection committee immediately thinks of two things, "ratings and $$$$".

Ask yourself, pretend you are on the committee, what do you think will bring more ratings: two of the most storied programs in NCAA between OSU and ND or Notre Dame vs. Oregon? I think even the most biased people would agree what is the most logical choice.

But hey, why let those little things like facts ruin a perfectly good blind dislike?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/23/2006, 06:27 PM
Pfffft!

PrideTrombone
8/23/2006, 07:55 PM
Ask yourself, pretend you are on the committee, what do you think will bring more ratings: two of the most storied programs in NCAA between OSU and ND or Notre Dame vs. Oregon? I think even the most biased people would agree what is the most logical choice.

But hey, why let those little things like facts ruin a perfectly good blind dislike?

I don't know what the ratings were, but watching Oregon's little brother punk you in the 2001 Fiesta Bowl was pretty damn good entertainment.

Desert Sapper
8/24/2006, 01:06 AM
I actually don't hate ND. I wasn't alive when they ended the streak, I love the campus and tradition, and I think the fans are the epitome of class. I was really just giving you a hard time. I can't really recall anything beyond the NBC contract and the higher than deserved bowl placement in recent years that proved any ND media bias.

If we performed last year (actually, if the idiot didn't have the BRSI thing), we would have all that media attention right now. Great programs get great media coverage. USC proved that. We proved that before them. Miami proved that before us. Florida State proved that before Miami. Etc. Etc. Part of your problem is that you guys have media mouthpieces like Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, and Regis Philbin. Those guys are idiots and they make you look bad. I don't hate you and, despite my thick glasses, I'm not completely blind. ;)

Mr Pat
8/24/2006, 09:29 AM
PrideTrombone, there are also games I could mention where OU got "punked", every team loses and everyone has their bad losses. That's what happens when you have a Davie led team.

"Part of your problem is that you guys have media mouthpieces like Joe Theismann, Paul Hornung, and Regis Philbin"

Couldn't agree more. :)

birddog
8/24/2006, 09:33 AM
i think he's just saying he enjoyed it.

Mr Pat
8/25/2006, 10:36 AM
Well that's good adds a lot to the discussion. If I were to say I'm sure the people of Texas enjoyed their beating of OU this year, would that recieve the same fanfare and ingenius responses like, "He's just saying he liked it."

jwlynn64
8/25/2006, 05:00 PM
Well that's good adds a lot to the discussion. If I were to say I'm sure the people of Texas enjoyed their beating of OU this year, would that recieve the same fanfare and ingenius responses like, "He's just saying he liked it."

If you were on the Whorns board, it probably would. Keep in mind that you are on the SoonerFans.com board.

I'm not sure why anyone would be offended if any other team (besides the Sooners) get bashed on the boards here.

If you come on this board and heap praises on some other team, expect the same type of treatment that you would get is you spread honey all over yourself and head into the bear cage at the zoo. Or to put it more into your age group, as if you dressed up as a twinkie :twinkies: and knocked on Homer Simpson's door!!! Doh!

Mr Pat
8/29/2006, 10:56 AM
Alright, so let me get this straight? The only topics that won't be met with mindless bashing are ones that have to do with OU? How often do OU and Notre Dame actually play?

I wasn't offended, I was just pointing out that his comment had nothing to do with what the thread was about. Then I responded the exact same way someone else. I can't imagine why someone would get uptight when another person defends himself.

As for the bear comment, wow, clever. Be more funny.

Dio
8/29/2006, 02:00 PM
This domer has too muck spek not to be a mod troll. Then again, our mods have a sense of humor, even when they're trolling.

jwlynn64
8/29/2006, 02:19 PM
Alright, so let me get this straight? The only topics that won't be met with mindless bashing are ones that have to do with OU? How often do OU and Notre Dame actually play?

As for the bear comment, wow, clever. Be more funny.

Even topics about OU are likely to get you mindlessly bashed. It's the internet for chist's sake. Didn't you see "Jay and Silent Bob Srike Back"?

As for the admonition to have me "Be more funny" I was trying to make a point, not to entertain you. In any case, how did you get the image of bears ripping you a new one as an effort at humor?

What kind of sick, twisted individual are you that not only does this image leave you with the feeling that I was trying to be funny but it just wan't horrific enough to actully rate as funny to you?