PDA

View Full Version : New Yorker relocating to Redneckville...

NYSooner1355
8/19/2006, 12:49 PM
I'm heading back to OK in about three or four days...

some of you know I was looking for a High School Guidance Counselor position...

I was offerred the position at ASTEC, Inc an OKC Charter School on the NW side (actually it is in offices of the old Shepherd Mall)

I was there for three days this past week and came back to NY to finish packing and we are leaving here on Tues for the road trip down. We probably will be living in Yukon/Mustang area as I have my family over there and they'll be able to babysit if needed...

I have one question though...what the hell is with you okies and your 2 and 3 car garages?!?! Every frickin house has these ugly monstrosities facing out, that is all you see, it sickens me - all I ask for is nice little house with a porch to sit on and drink tea and wave at the neighbors - no, they all have these ugly garages...<<rant over>>

Well, hopefully all works out alright - this will be my first year as a Guidance Counselor and I'm the only one at this school...

GottaHavePride
8/19/2006, 12:56 PM
Heh. In New York, a car is a luxury item. Out here they're necessities AND status symbols. And you can't show off how many cars you have and how nice they are if your garage is hidden around the back of the house. Oh, and the "porch off the front of the house" has been replaced by the "deck off the back of the house". ;)

GDC
8/19/2006, 01:00 PM
I hate attached garages and would not live in a house with one.

NYSooner1355
8/19/2006, 01:03 PM
Heh. In New York, a car is a luxury item. Out here they're necessities AND status symbols. And you can't show off how many cars you have and how nice they are if your garage is hidden around the back of the house. Oh, and the "porch off the front of the house" has been replaced by the "deck off the back of the house". ;)

unless you live and/or work in NYC a car is as much a necessity here as it is there (here being Long Island)...

I found a couple of nice little subdivisions in the Yukon/Mustang area and they had cute little houses, we may look into buying one since the mortgage would run about the same as renting would

NYSooner1355
8/19/2006, 01:05 PM

where do you find houses like this in OK, aside from out in the country on 5+ acre lots or in the heart of OKC in run down little areas?

btw - how is the NW side? I saw a couple of houses there listed on craigslist that looked nice and were listed as being in "historic" neighborhoods - any idea what that means??

GottaHavePride
8/19/2006, 01:10 PM
unless you live and/or work in NYC a car is as much a necessity here as it is there (here being Long Island)...
I couldn't remember if you were actually in NYC or not.

And you aren't a REAL hillbilly until you put a car lift in your garage so everyone can watch you change your oil. ;)

PrideTrombone
8/19/2006, 01:17 PM
I live in Yukon...

AND HAVE A 3-CAR GARAGE!!!! MWAHAHA!

NYSooner1355
8/19/2006, 01:21 PM
I live in Yukon...

AND HAVE A 3-CAR GARAGE!!!! MWAHAHA!

where in Yukon? My parents live in a subdivision off Hwy 92 and one of my brothers lives about 2 miles north of them on Hwy 92, my other brother lives off Hwy 152 in Mustang...

and btw, that isn't saying much, everyone in Yukon has a 3 car garage (at least the parts I've seen!)

PrideTrombone
8/19/2006, 01:29 PM
where in Yukon? My parents live in a subdivision off Hwy 92 and one of my brothers lives about 2 miles north of them on Hwy 92, my other brother lives off Hwy 152 in Mustang...

and btw, that isn't saying much, everyone in Yukon has a 3 car garage (at least the parts I've seen!)

Off of I-40 and Mustang Rd.

critical_phil
btw - how is the NW side? I saw a couple of houses there listed on craigslist that looked nice and were listed as being in "historic" neighborhoods - any idea what that means??

i'm pretty sure there are some regular posters who live in this area.

it's not for me. that's not saying much since i am a dirty southsider...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
I'm heading back to OK in about three or four days...

some of you know I was looking for a High School Guidance Counselor position...

I was offerred the position at ASTEC, Inc an OKC Charter School on the NW side (actually it is in offices of the old Shepherd Mall)

I was there for three days this past week and came back to NY to finish packing and we are leaving here on Tues for the road trip down. We probably will be living in Yukon/Mustang area as I have my family over there and they'll be able to babysit if needed...

I have one question though...what the hell is with you okies and your 2 and 3 car garages?!?! Every frickin house has these ugly monstrosities facing out, that is all you see, it sickens me - all I ask for is nice little house with a porch to sit on and drink tea and wave at the neighbors - no, they all have these ugly garages...<<rant over>>

Well, hopefully all works out alright - this will be my first year as a Guidance Counselor and I'm the only one at this school...Congrats on the move! I totally agree about the garages. Maybe you will get lucky and find a home that has the garage either on the side of the house or in the back of the house.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/19/2006, 01:32 PM
where do you find houses like this in OK, aside from out in the country on 5+ acre lots or in the heart of OKC in run down little areas?

btw - how is the NW side? I saw a couple of houses there listed on craigslist that looked nice and were listed as being in "historic" neighborhoods - any idea what that means??It depends which part of the NW side. There are nice areas and not so nice areas. One neighborhood that is nice with older homes is Gatewood, which is close to where you will be working.

BudSooner
8/19/2006, 05:03 PM
I agree that these days the garage seems to be the first thing you see, and are hideous, I don't understand the thought process that allows this design to pass in the first place.

That being said, I would rather have a garage that is not attached to the house.......I would hate to have the still blow up and level both buildings.

GottaHavePride
8/19/2006, 05:11 PM
I think the point of the attached garage is so that when it's raining small furry mammals outside you don't have to get soaked to get in your car. Although I agree, they are often very ugly.

fadada1
8/19/2006, 05:27 PM
I hate attached bathrooms and would never insult my hillbillidom by living in a house with one.
i fully understand;)

PrideTrombone
8/19/2006, 05:30 PM
I think the point of the attached garage is so that when it's raining small furry mammals outside you don't have to get soaked to get in your car. Although I agree, they are often very ugly.

Well, without the Norman Weather Bubble to fall back on, I find mine's very handy to keep hail from hitting my car.

SweetheartSooner
8/19/2006, 05:36 PM

UGH... I lived in Gatewood for a couple of months in the so called "historic" area. Personally, I do not recommend it. It is scary. Lots of weirdos. While there are nice, restored homes in Gatewood, there still are alot of run down homes as well. Plus, we didn't have the funds to maintain/rennovate an older home. We ended up buying a home on the far southside.

That being said, there are some pretty cool homes in that neighborhood... but these homes are not too far from the ghetto. And there is a really nice church in the Gatewood neighborhood.

Frozen Sooner
8/19/2006, 05:50 PM

Try living up here without one before making such a statement. Then again, you probably wouldn't live up here either...

Newbomb Turk
8/19/2006, 06:04 PM
Welcome to redneckville. :rolleyes:

NYSooner1355
8/20/2006, 12:23 PM
Welcome to redneckville. :rolleyes:

Thank you!

btw that was a joke

I lived there back in the '80s when I was a kid but I've been here for 20 years

GDC
8/20/2006, 02:18 PM
Try living up here without one before making such a statement. Then again, you probably wouldn't live up here either...

My b-i-l was posted in Fairbanks several years, I believe you.

tbl
8/20/2006, 03:44 PM
I don't know where you guys are living that there is anything other than attached garages. In DFW, Houston, Oklahoma, and now Atlanta, the only houses with separate garages were built in the 60's. I've never seen a house built within the past 2 decades that is separated.

proud gonzo
8/20/2006, 05:16 PM
seriously--if it's raining I don't want to get wet on my way to the car.