PDA

View Full Version : "US News" college rankings are out.

Okla-homey
8/19/2006, 07:59 AM
OU dropped a smidge to to 112th nationally. TU moved up a smidge to 88th nationally (I think mainly b/c one-in-ten undergrads at TU are national merit finalists.)

Here's the cool part...oSucc isn't even in the top two tiers. Maybe T. Boone ought to give a little jack to ackademicks over there at Sheephumper State.;)

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/rankindex_brief.php

Mixer!
8/19/2006, 10:10 AM
More comedy gold: (http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=060819_Ne_A15_TUris72240)

"We live in a rankings-dominated world," Schmidly said, pointing to fans' obsession with sport teams' rankings as an example.

Many Oklahomans do not use the rankings, as they already consider themselves from "OSU families" or "OU families," Schmidly said. Out-of-state students rely more heavily on the report, he said.

I wish I could find the lyrics to the old Cledus Maggard song "The Banana Bowl". It sums up their mindset perfectly.

GottaHavePride
8/19/2006, 01:02 PM
There was a lady on the Colbert Report (scary that Stephen Colbert gets better interviews out of his guests than a lot of real news shows) that wrote a book claiming all the college "academic rankings" are a load of crap and that the education you get at the big-name schools is no better (and often worse) than what you'd get at a lesser-known school.

GDC
8/19/2006, 01:04 PM
That's it, I'm transferring.

soonerscuba
8/19/2006, 01:24 PM
Unless you go Ivy or program specific (i.e. OU meteorology), I haven't found it matters much.

SicEmBaylor
8/19/2006, 02:38 PM
Says they who don't go to the 81st best university in the country!!!

fadada1
8/19/2006, 02:54 PM
a lot of that is BS. for instance, yale is at #3, and our president went there. proof that you don't need to be smart to go to the #3 academic school in the USA.

Vaevictis
8/19/2006, 10:54 PM
Unless you go Ivy or program specific (i.e. OU meteorology), I haven't found it matters much.

Ivy is more about the networking than it is the education. Not that I'm bagging on the education mind you. It's just that you can get an equivalent or better education in many places. The networking is just where Ivy really stands out.

Okla-homey
8/20/2006, 05:47 AM
a lot of that is BS. for instance, yale is at #3, and our president went there. proof that you don't need to be smart to go to the #3 academic school in the USA.

He can't be that dumb, he made it to the White House without spending almost his entire adult life in politics. No one but "W" (and the darling of the left Jimmy Carter) has pulled that off since Eisenhower.

BTW, there is an article in the current issue of "Time" which addresses the matter of how "legacies" from wealthy and powerful families get a big leg-up by Ivy League admissions folks.

Chuck Bao
8/20/2006, 06:03 AM
Undergraduate at Southeastern and MBA at Baylor.

Southeastern had better classes and educators.

Baylor had better computer workshops, but one year way back then was a huge difference.

SoonerInKCMO
8/21/2006, 10:39 AM
Meh. I wasn't that impressed by my two years at #67.

crawfish
8/21/2006, 10:41 AM
OU dropped a smidge to to 112th nationally. TU moved up a smidge to 88th nationally

That's probably 'cause my bro finished his PhD from OU last year and just started his professorship at TU.

:)

tbl
8/21/2006, 11:28 AM
Man, OU is KILLING the out of state students. Yowza!

Tuition and fees:
$4,408 in-state, $12,301 out-of-state

tbl
8/21/2006, 11:32 AM
What the stink? Miami tuition is up there with Harvard and Princeton!

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 11:36 AM
Many Oklahomans do not use the rankings, as they already consider themselves from "OSU families" or "OU families,"

they say this like it's a bad thing.....................

well, I guess ONE side of it would be.

sooneron
8/21/2006, 12:03 PM
I have never met an impressive soul from SUNY - Binghamton. In fact, it's known as a party school. I don't get it.