PDA

View Full Version : Bellotti comments before Holiday Bowl

MarsBOW
8/18/2006, 02:31 PM
Interesting stuff Bellotti said last year. He was prophetic about the deciding factor in the Holiday Bowl.

December 24, 2005
Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, whose team was spurned by the Bowl Championship Series for the second time in four years, has a pretty good idea why.
It's called East Coast bias.
"There definitely is," said Bellotti, whose team arrived in San Diego yesterday for Thursday's Pacific Life Holiday Bowl against Oklahoma. "A lot of times people don't even know what our score is when they vote. The interesting thing about this year is that we dropped down in some human polls when (starting quarterback) Kellen (Clemens) got hurt, but we still continued to win. The computer polls kept us where we were, but the human polls dropped us down.

(later…)
Defense wins Holiday Bowls?
Bellotti summed up what he sees as the ultimate key to Thursday's game.
"I think in all honesty, defense is going to win this game," Bellotti said. "It's not going to be offense."
Bellotti called Oklahoma's defense the fastest and best his team will have seen all season.

Jello Biafra
8/18/2006, 04:33 PM
Interesting stuff Bellotti said last year. He was prophetic about the deciding factor in the Holiday Bowl.

December 24, 2005
Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, whose team was spurned by the Bowl Championship Series for the second time in four years, has a pretty good idea why.
It's called East Coast bias.
"There definitely is," said Bellotti, whose team arrived in San Diego yesterday for Thursday's Pacific Life Holiday Bowl against Oklahoma. "A lot of times people don't even know what our score is when they vote. The interesting thing about this year is that we dropped down in some human polls when (starting quarterback) Kellen (Clemens) got hurt, but we still continued to win. The computer polls kept us where we were, but the human polls dropped us down.

(later…)
Defense wins Holiday Bowls?
Bellotti summed up what he sees as the ultimate key to Thursday's game.
"I think in all honesty, defense is going to win this game," Bellotti said. "It's not going to be offense."
Bellotti called Oklahoma's defense the fastest and best his team will have seen all season.

oddly enough, its probably the same thing he'll say after this years game as well.

n8v_ndn
8/18/2006, 04:36 PM
That dude's sharp...I used to say he kept his MOJO in his moustache, but evidently it's kept elsewhere.

OKC-SLC
8/18/2006, 05:15 PM
i've got nothing against bellotti, never have.

i just hope he's crying like a little whorn when we pull out of eugene.

The Ensuing Kickoff
8/18/2006, 07:32 PM
I wanted Belotti to come to OU in 1999.

Desert Sapper
8/18/2006, 08:14 PM
If he thought our defense was fast last year...

Oldnslo
8/18/2006, 08:14 PM
Sounds like the guy has a head on his shoulders. And it's nice to hear someone not engage in coachspeak for the media.