PDA

View Full Version : "OU scrutiny begats a snarl" - DMN

mrowl
8/18/2006, 09:05 AM
I already emailed Kevin and told him what an idiot he is. Of course he leaves out some important facts.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/081806dnsposherrington.319c54a.html

OU scrutiny begats a snarl

01:27 AM CDT on Friday, August 18, 2006

NORMAN, Okla. – Even in the best of times, Bob Stoops is not what you'd call warm and fuzzy. And these are not good times at Oklahoma.

On paper, the Sooners should be as good as any. They have one of the best running backs in the country and maybe the Big 12's best defense and a brilliant coach to put it all together.

OU has as good a shot as anyone to win the Big 12, and the last three years, that's meant a berth in the national title game.
Colleges

But a cloud hangs over this team like the humidity choking Wednesday's last practice.

Hangs over Stoops.

In the next week or so, OU officials expect to file their internal report to the NCAA on Rhett Bomar and J.D. Quinn. A summary judgment probably isn't in the works. All that's left to do now is wait.

Hard to say what eats at Stoops the most. Cutting a quarterback who might have become the best in school history? Taking questions about whether the bad ol' days are back at OU? Wondering if Oklahoma columnists were right when they wrote he should have known?

Waiting?

"We're the ones that discovered it and acted on it," he says. "I believe that usually makes a difference."

Jim Wacker figured the same back in 1985. He dismissed seven TCU players, including his franchise running back, Kenneth Davis, after learning they'd accepted money from boosters.

And still it didn't stop the NCAA from coming. Nine months later, they left the program in tatters.

Bottom line: Unless something surprising comes from the NCAA's investigation, OU isn't in that kind of trouble.

The mess Kelvin Sampson left in basketball? OU officials say the football program won't be eligible for the death penalty. Not that it matters. No one's getting it again.

But any time the NCAA comes knocking, it should make even the cleanest coach nervous.

And Stoops' reaction? He closes practices and cuts off the media for all but two days a week.

Ask him why, and the hawk eyes flash, the jaw rises, the contempt all but oozes.

"This is what we always do," he snaps. "This is what we've done for eight years.

"How much do you need?"

No more than what's normal. And that's the point: He's shutting down three weeks earlier than usual.

He says practices are closed to put in some new offense. We'll have to take his word on that. Everyone says it's going great. Adrian Peterson says you'd never know Paul Thompson hadn't played quarterback in a year.

Thompson's not quite as convinced. The first few practices, coaches had him throwing a modest 30 passes a day.

"Any more than that," Thompson says, "and my arm would have fallen off."

He's still working his way back into QB shape. No one questions his leadership or command of a huddle. No teammate is more respected.

But no one's forgotten that he lost his job after just one start last year, either.

The burden of this team's offense falls on Peterson. He knew it even before Bomar was dismissed. The load just got bigger.

If he was going to average 20 to 25 carries, it'll be closer to 30 now.

Harder carries, too. Teams will put eight or nine in the box, and they won't be as worried about getting burned.

"Obstacles are gonna come," Peterson says, smiling. "We've just got to get around 'em."

Peterson is better equipped than most to do just that. It remains to be seen how well his coach handles it.

Straight up: No one's been more impressed with Stoops than me. He's been called a genius so often in this space, it was looking like a nickname.

But Stoops hasn't dealt with much flak at OU, either. A man who wins a national championship in his second season and coaches in two more title games over the next four years accumulates a lot of grace points.

But sooner or later, a coach at a big-time program endures unwanted scrutiny. Mack Brown gets it every year, usually before and after playing OU. For the most part, he's responded with class.

Stoops' reaction? After Berry Tramel's tough but fair column in The Oklahoman calling Stoops and Joe Castiglione, the athletic director, "asleep at the wheel," the head coach scales everything back.

Makes you wonder what's next. The NCAA hasn't even hit town, Bob. Might as well start getting used to it.

jk the sooner fan
8/18/2006, 09:19 AM
kevin blackistone wrote this?

go figure......

mrowl
8/18/2006, 09:23 AM
kevin blackistone wrote this?

go figure......

I wish. It was Kevin Sherrington, who I used to think was solid.

BigUgly
8/18/2006, 09:24 AM
It was actually Kevin Sherrington - almost as bad as KBB.

Figures DMN would assign a noted Longhorn supporter to write their OU preview piece. Typical.

Arrrrrrrrrgh :mad:

Widescreen
8/18/2006, 10:24 AM
Don't worry about it guys. That article won't have any bearing on what happens with the NCAA or the season.

soonerhubs
8/18/2006, 10:33 AM
People hate it when Bob Stoops doesn't kiss the media's a$$. Have they not learned anything from the past 8 years? Why should they expect Stoops personality to even come close to matching the Whorn Coach's?

TexasLidig8r
8/18/2006, 10:34 AM
It was actually Kevin Sherrington - almost as bad as KBB.

Figures DMN would assign a noted Longhorn supporter to write their OU preview piece. Typical.

Arrrrrrrrrgh :mad:

What a load of carp...

First, Sherrington has been assigned to write columns on all Big XII schools prior to the start of the season.

Second, Kevin went to Houston.

Third, Kevin's wife went to Arkansas.

Fourth, if anything, Kevin is a noted Pig Souie fan and has no love for UT.

Fifth., Kevin lives two streets over, is a good guy and in terms of writing on colleges, is much more objective than most writers.

You may not like the message or the article, but, what in the piece is not accurate other than, it doesn't bend over and give a knob job to the OU program?

47straight
8/18/2006, 10:36 AM
Funny how he blasts OU for closing down practices - something that Mackie does every year. Pot. Kettle. = bias.

mrowl
8/18/2006, 10:41 AM
What a load of carp...

First, Sherrington has been assigned to write columns on all Big XII schools prior to the start of the season.

Second, Kevin went to Houston.

Third, Kevin's wife went to Arkansas.

Fourth, if anything, Kevin is a noted Pig Souie fan and has no love for UT.

Fifth., Kevin lives two streets over, is a good guy and in terms of writing on colleges, is much more objective than most writers.

You may not like the message or the article, but, what in the piece is not accurate other than, it doesn't bend over and give a knob job to the OU program?

I have a problem with him leading on to Bob being a cheater. Which we know he is not.

David Earl
8/18/2006, 10:41 AM
"DMN Sports Page begats toilet paper" - David Earl

OUDoc
8/18/2006, 10:42 AM
The article really doesn't even say anything. You sure Jenni Carlson didn't write it?

sooneron
8/18/2006, 10:43 AM
I don;t think the article was that bad. The part about taking Stoops' word on the closed practice thing was a little bush, as it is only evident that it was necessary.

fwsooner22
8/18/2006, 10:48 AM
Kevin Sherrington is a good guy........Had dinner with him once but don't claim to know him..........Reading him almost everyday I will say this.....He is not that smart of a guy.....most newspaper guys aren't I realize that......Most times you read his stuff there is an error or two......With regard to the article....If it was about another school it wouldn't even matter....Everyone in Dallas is expecting the NCAA to kick our butts.....it just isn't going to happen........The NCAA just let a player at USC return to the team because he repaid $5,000 of ill gotten gains.

In the end Mr. Sherrington has his panties in a wad because he is going to have to work a little harder to do his job (because practices are closed). Its nice to know he gets his "stuff" from Berry Tramel.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/18/2006, 10:53 AM
...a cloud hangs over this team like the humidity choking Wednesday's last practice.

And that's the point: He's shutting down three weeks earlier than usual.

Typical media horsepoo. Captain Stoops of the U.S.S. Stompamudhole tells a bunch of thin-lipped pencilwhippers to take a hike and what happens? Those same thin-lipped pencilwhippers instantly go into hate mode. Thing is, this is low key compared to the literary temper tantrum and filled pamper-load Tramel dropped.

Just once, JUST ONCE, I'd like one of these pencilwhippers to actually give their readers some meat and taters instead of this National Enquirer smoke and mirrors crap. More, "PT looked good in his early work, showing good technique by blah blah blah and blah blah blah." and less, "omgwtfbbq, Bobbah Stoops be de debbil 'cause we doan getta go to de practice t'ree week early! CUT 'IS FOCKING HEAD OFF!"

What a dork.

JohnnyMack
8/18/2006, 10:59 AM
Stoops doesn't like the media.

The media doesn't like Stoops.

:les:JAPS BOMB PEARL HARBOR!!!!!!!!

TexasLidig8r
8/18/2006, 11:17 AM
Stoops doesn't like the media.

The media doesn't like Stoops.

:les:JAPS BOMB PEARL HARBOR!!!!!!!!

That would be.. Germans. :rolleyes:

jeez.. get your history straight. ;)

JohnnyMack
8/18/2006, 11:20 AM

I was gonna type that, but I figured with the proliferation of n00bs around here lately no one would get it.

Mr. Blutarski, ZERO POINT ZERO.

David Earl
8/18/2006, 11:20 AM

Pearl Harbor was a German base???!!!! :confused:

Tulsa_Fireman
8/18/2006, 11:27 AM
Forget it, he's rolling.

4everasooner
8/18/2006, 11:28 AM
get a rope and hang the clown!! just kidding.

FlatheadSooner
8/18/2006, 11:32 AM
Typical media horsepoo. Captain Stoops of the U.S.S. Stompamudhole tells a bunch of thin-lipped pencilwhippers to take a hike and what happens? Those same thin-lipped pencilwhippers instantly go into hate mode. Thing is, this is low key compared to the literary temper tantrum and filled pamper-load Tramel dropped.

Just once, JUST ONCE, I'd like one of these pencilwhippers to actually give their readers some meat and taters instead of this National Enquirer smoke and mirrors crap. More, "PT looked good in his early work, showing good technique by blah blah blah and blah blah blah." and less, "omgwtfbbq, Bobbah Stoops be de debbil 'cause we doan getta go to de practice t'ree week early! CUT 'IS FOCKING HEAD OFF!"

What a dork.

I kind of like the fact that Stoops ruffles the media's feathers. The pendulum has swung too far in their favor.

OUmillenium
8/18/2006, 11:41 AM
She'll take this seriously.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/18/2006, 11:45 AM
welcome back, bob stoops. long time no see.

CrimsonHelmet
8/18/2006, 12:03 PM
Isn't the proper form of the verb: "begets" ???

If he makes his living with words, it'd seem reasonable he'd have an AP style book laying around his desk somewhere.

southern sooner
8/18/2006, 12:13 PM
dude is an A**

Miko
8/18/2006, 12:57 PM
Waitaminute! The DMN is accusing Stoops of getting bombed at a German naval base?!?! What a load of carp!

Texas Golfer
8/18/2006, 01:01 PM
What a load of carp...

Kevin went to Houston.

Kevin's wife went to Arkansas.

I prefer catfish over carp but that's for another discussion.

Thank you for your acknowledgment that Kevin and his wife are former SWC homers.

Pricetag
8/18/2006, 01:07 PM

What a dork.
This post kicks ***. It says everything I wanted to say, but probably better.

Big Red Ron
8/18/2006, 01:12 PM
Media < Plaintiff Lawyers

TheGodfather889
8/18/2006, 04:30 PM
I will say this: he's a better columnist than Berry Tramel or Jenny Carlson.

Duke o Brewery
8/18/2006, 05:09 PM
"But sooner or later, a coach at a big-time program endures unwanted scrutiny. Mack Brown gets it every year, usually before and after playing OU. For the most part, he's responded with class.

Stoops' reaction? After Berry Tramel's tough but fair column in The Oklahoman calling Stoops and Joe Castiglione, the athletic director, "asleep at the wheel," the head coach scales everything back."

This is the part that really pi$$es me off. What this "sportswriter" says in these 4 sentenses is essentially, 'I think mack brown is classy and bob stoops isn't'. What a douch!

OKC-SLC
8/18/2006, 05:21 PM
I will say this: he's a better columnist than Berry Tramel or Jenny Carlson.
This.

May.

Be.

True.

GottaHavePride
8/18/2006, 05:50 PM
Isn't the proper form of the verb: "begets" ???

If he makes his living with words, it'd seem reasonable he'd have an AP style book laying around his desk somewhere.
Yes. Begat is past-tense. He needed to either use "begets" or "begat" but not "begats".

Actually, isn't begat fairly archaic, and "begot" would be more correct?

proudsoonergal
8/18/2006, 05:54 PM
"But sooner or later, a coach at a big-time program endures unwanted scrutiny. Mack Brown gets it every year, usually before and after playing OU. For the most part, he's responded with class."

Yep, because we all know that apologizing to the fans after getting your butt whupped is considered classy.

goingoneight
8/19/2006, 12:28 AM
Hmmm. I seem to remember a California media type pis$ing and moaning about the closed practices before the Holiday Bowl. As it turned out, OUr young team was, in fact, working on new material and they won an unlikely matchup because of it. 'Nuff said there.

tulsaoilerfan
8/19/2006, 10:25 AM
Why do so many of you people get upset anytime you read anything that is slightly negative towards the Sooners? It's going to happen, and if you respond with emails and letters to the editor, then you are giving these writers exactly what they are aiming for; just ignore it and move on.