PDA

View Full Version : Dear Clueless Communication People

Skysooner
8/18/2006, 08:56 AM
In today's world with IM, PDAs that bring the world to your fingertips, cell phones, and regular phones, is it too much to ask to actually use one of these methods to get in touch?

I have an indirect report employee who is out in the field with a laptop, cell phone, and his PDA that connects to work e-mail. We have an important presentation on Monday afternoon on a project he is primarily responsible for, but he won't be here due to field work. I am the one that gets to interpret his graphs and make the presentation to the VP 2 levels up from me.

Yesterday, e-mail and cell phone message to him asking him to get in touch. Nothing. Hit him with an IM that hits the PDA. Nothing. Try to hit him with an IM last night. Nothing. Finally catch him just waking up this morning, and he says his job description doesn't require him to keep me informed of his movements. I said on company time it does particularly when I'm carrying your load into that meeting on Monday. Thank goodness it is personnel review time.

critical_phil
8/18/2006, 09:12 AM
did you point out the and performs other job related duties as assigned part of the job description?

Skysooner
8/18/2006, 09:27 AM
did you point out the and performs other job related duties as assigned part of the job description?

Trust me, I will. This job is actually a challenge. I'm a technical manager for a petroleum division with no direct reports and yet a bunch of their work product has to be approved by me. Most people are cooperative, but occasionally....

crawfish
8/18/2006, 09:30 AM
Ahhh, the dreaded dotted line boss... :)

Skysooner
8/18/2006, 10:05 AM
Yes, this is a new experience for me. I was a dotted line supervisor a couple of years ago. Management gets treated better.