PDA

View Full Version : SI.com Article on Thompson and the Sooners

Duke o Brewery
8/18/2006, 07:45 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/08/17/oklahoma.postcard/index.html

Stewart Mandel
Postcard from camp: Oklahoma
Thompson's play helping Sooners forget about Bomar

NORMAN, Okla. -- Considering the overwhelming question mark hanging over the Oklahoma football team this preseason, this was a sight that would have pleased Sooner followers considerably. On the first play of a 45-minute scrimmage at the end of Wednesday evening's practice, man-on-the-spot Paul Thompson took the snap, faked a handoff and hit streaking tight end Brody Eldridge in stride for what would turn in to a 30-yard gain.

As encouraging as it was, the play also amounted to one of the few passing highlights for Thompson the entire scrimmage. Not that it diffused the praise bestowed upon the fifth-year senior afterward by his coaches and teammates. "He's played as well this week as he has the entire time he's been here," said offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson. "If he keeps playing the way he's playing, we're going to be awfully good."

Indeed, Thompson, pressed back into quarterback duties following Rhett Bomar's dismissal, looked nothing but sharp running the offense, and it's clear he has the universal respect of his teammates. He's also undeniably athletic, and whereas previous offensive coordinator Chuck Long was more of a pro-style guy, Wilson, who's shown an affinity in the past for the shotgun-spread, isn't afraid to utilize his QB's running ability. Back when Thompson made his one, ill-fated start against TCU in last year's season-opener, "We were still in the Jason White-Josh Heupel-Nate Hybl mode," said head coach Bob Stoops. "It's been awfully good for us, but did we play to Paul's strengths? I don't think that we totally did."

It remains to be seen, however, whether those strengths lie at all in the passing game. During Wednesday's practice, Thompson was mostly solid with the underneath routes but often floated the ball or underthrew his receivers when going downfield. With Adrian Peterson in the backfield and a defense that should be one of the nation's best, it's not like the Sooners need Thompson to throw for 3,000 yards. But they can't afford to be one-dimensional, either, particularly with stud receivers like Malcolm Kelly (who made two out-of-this world catches Wednesday) at their disposal.

"It will come down to what the line can handle and what Paul is comfortable with," said Wilson. "We have a good enough team, playmaker-wise, and defensively, that if we can take the negatives away, we could be explosive."

Three observations
1. Reggie Smith will emerge as a national star this season. After earning freshman All-America honors as a starting strong safety last season, Smith has moved to cornerback and it's easy to see why. He's a playmaker of the highest order who showed off his closing speed on multiple occasions Wednesday. "He's just so natural at corner," said Stoops. "He's got really good ball skills."

Smith's profile will also rise considerably if the coaches follow through on an experiment they began earlier this week. Smith, already set to serve as the Sooners' top punt returner, lined up exclusively at receiver during Wednesday's scrimmage. Stoops envisions using him both ways eventually like he did with former All-American Andre Woolfolk, but it's still early in Smith's initiation. "They've got me running about six plays," said Smith. "I think it would be great to get in there and make some things happen."

2. I didn't get to see much of Peterson in action Wednesday (he was largely held out of the scrimmage) but I did get to see him without a uniform or pads on afterward, and honestly, it's like someone chiseled him out of stone. After two years of work under renowned strength coach Jerry Schmidt, the 6-foot-2 Peterson has gone from 208 pounds as a freshman to 222, and if there's an ounce of fat on his body, you wouldn't know it. "I think I'm a lot more powerful [than as a freshman]," said Peterson. "I'm healthy and I'm feeling stronger."

After slipping from 1,925 yards as a freshman to 1,104 during an injury-marred sophomore campaign, most are expecting huge things from the former Heisman runner-up this season -- no one more so than Peterson himself. "One of my goals is to go for 2,500 yards," he said. When told that only one player in Division I-A history, Barry Sanders, has run for that many yards, Peterson smiled and replied, "If you prepare yourself, you know what you're capable of doing."

3. You can tell just how hurt Stoops was by Bomar's deceit in the now-infamous job scam by the way he overtly disses the one-time budding star when talking about Thompson's situation. "What everyone outside the program forgets is that we lost a guy that threw 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions last year. We didn't lose Jason White," said Stoops. "Everyone was enamored with what this guy might have been."

While the Bomar story generated endless coverage across the country, talking to OU players and coaches it's almost as if he's been wiped from their memory (though part of that is due to Thompson's overwhelming popularity). His fellow Texan and classmate, Peterson, did express remorse, however. "I know I miss him," said Peterson. "It hurt me to lose him. But things happen, and you've got to be able to overcome it."

X-factor
The interior offensive line. Besides Thompson, the Sooners' biggest question mark -- and one that will play a direct role in the QB's success -- is the O-line. While starting tackles Chris Messner and Brandon Braxton are proven commodities, the center (sophomore Jon Cooper) and guards (sophomore George "Duke" Robinson and juco guard Brandon Walker) are inexperienced. J.D. Quinn, the other player dismissed with Bomar, would have started at guard, and there's very little depth.

The line has been surprisingly solid during the Sooners' first two scrimmages, allowing just one sack last Saturday against a D-line that includes senior pass-rushers C.J. Ah You, Calvin Thibodeaux and Larry Birdine. "They're holding up the protection well," said Thompson. They appeared to have less success opening up holes in the running game, though it's hard to say whether some of those 3-yard gains wouldn't have turned into 7 or 8 if Peterson was carrying the ball.

Keep an eye on
Freshman tight end Jermaine Gresham. One of the nation's top-ranked tight end recruits last winter, Greshman is currently listed as a backup to sophomore Joe Jon Finley, but that won't last long. The guy is absolutely huge --- 6-6, 250 pounds --- and he uses it to his advantage. At one point Wednesday, he caught a short pass over the middle and stretched it another 10 yards while dragging as many as six white jerseys. "Jermaine Greshman is really a special player," said Stoops. Smith said he's yet to have to tackle the tight end but he's not looking forward to it. "It's hard to believe he's so physically ready," said the cornerback. "He reminds me of [former Maryland star] Vernon Davis."

Factoid that may interest only me
One of the first things one sees upon arriving at the Oklahoma City airport is the "Big 12 Conference" store, which sells merchandise from all 12 league teams. This seems to be part of a growing trend. In my recent travels, I've also seen a Big Ten store at the Columbus, Ohio, airport and an ACC store at the Raleigh-Durham airport, though I can't remember which one (Jacksonville maybe?).

All three stores had one thing in common when I saw them: An absence of customers. I can see where it would make sense to open a store that sells the local teams' apparel, but I can't imagine the scenario where a random traveler headed to his gate or to baggage claim would stop and think, "Hmm. Maybe I'll buy that Iowa State cap I've had my eye on."

On the menu
Today for lunch I dined on a delectable, airport-concession stand hamburger with ... oh, sorry, wrong postcard.

Camp Confidential
Another promising young player for the Sooners is redshirt freshman DT DeMarcus Granger, who has shown he can be a force inside but still needs to master his responsibilities in the defense. ... Junior safety Darien Williams was the subject of a severe Stoops tongue-lashing after failing to pick up Kelly on a fade pattern down the sideline. "That stinks!" shouted Stoops. "He's 6-4, 220 pounds --- you couldn't see him coming?" ... OU practices on a field adjacent to OU's tennis courts, where someone inexplicably decided to blare a mix of pop and elevator music over the p.a. system throughout practice. Complaints could be heard throughout, but the song that set off near-universal groans was "Unfaithful" by teen star Rhianna. "Did you request this?" Peterson asked a staff member on the sideline. "No, but I heard you have it on your I-Pod," he replied. ... Finally, you can't miss the now-infamous Big Red Auto/Imports driving down I-35 south to Norman. It has stores on both sides of the road -- and both of them have made sure to post a giant banner out front that reads "Under New Management."

Jason White's Third Knee
8/18/2006, 08:12 AM
Damn that get's me psyched!

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XingTheRubicon
8/18/2006, 08:16 AM
Holy crap.

I think I just read an informed and interesting string of sentences from a Sports Illustrated journalist.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/18/2006, 08:16 AM
spek for the post

toast
8/18/2006, 08:50 AM
good read...thanks for posting Duke.

SOONERKAT
8/18/2006, 09:42 AM
Just read it on SI. It's official that everyone that has written about both Smith and Gresham peg them as world beaters. Good to hear that ENA is coming along, and that Kevin might allow him to run a bit. 9/2 needs to hurry up and get here. I don't think I can afford to lose any more hair watching the Astros attempt to get back in this thing.

GDC
8/18/2006, 09:48 AM
OU needs to find the next J.D. Runnels
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
8/18/2006

Lack of experience at fullback leaves the Sooner offense with questions.
NORMAN -- A 30-year tradition ends Sept. 2 when the Sooners play a football game without names on their jerseys. Fans are howling.

A four-year tradition ends Sept. 2 when OU plays without J.D. Runnels, now with the Chicago Bears, at fullback. Coaches are scowling.

"That's been, personally, my largest concern," Sooner offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said. "The loss of J.D. and the inexperience of Dane Zaslaw and Matt Clapp."

Wilson's remarks came Aug. 4. The Sooners opened camp without Runnels, whom coach Bob Stoops called "one of our best players, best athletes and toughest guys."

Zaslaw, a converted linebacker, and Clapp, a special teamer last season, were around. So was Ian Pleasant, a linebacker who moved to fullback last spring.

So was an overriding question.

"Can we be a good two-back team?" Wilson asked Aug. 4. "We'll go through camp and see. We need to get some pads on and see the maturity and development of those guys."

Nearly two weeks later, the answer remains elusive.

Asked for a fullback position progress report, Wilson said: "Not as good as I'd want it to be, but better

than it was. OK. Not bad."

OU's perfect-world scenario has Clapp taking command like Runnels did four Augusts ago. He has size -- 6-2, 242 pounds -- and ability -- he was a three-time 1,000-yard rusher and an accomplished linebacker in high school -- that compares naturally to Runnels.

What Clapp doesn't have is experience. With Runnels entrenched, he spot-played on special teams as a 2005 freshman. Not quite the same as leading Adrian Peterson on third-and-1.

"It's tough coming in at fullback after (Runnels) came through the last four years," Clapp said. "I feel like I've done pretty well the past couple weeks, but I'm still not where I need to be, especially with my blocking. I have much more to improve on."

If the prescribed progress isn't made, there are alternatives.

Wilson could devise more sets with two tight ends. He may do so regardless of the fullback, actually, since tight ends Joe Jon Finley and Jermaine Greshman have both earned praise throughout the preseason.

Or Wilson could move a tight end off the line and into the backfield as a sort of H-Back. Redshirt freshman Brody Eldridge, who Wilson considers his most physical tight end, would seem to fit the bill.

Most likely, the answer lies somewhere in between. A compromise that involves Finley and Greshman, while using Clapp, Eldridge or whatever fullback OU comes up with in short-yardage spurts.

The Sooners may shed tears over the loss of Runnels, but they can't shed his position altogether.

"I don't know what we're going to run on offense exactly all the time, but I know a fullback makes us more diverse," Wilson said. "We need him in situations to be a productive guy. Not that that means we're going to be a two-back (offense), but we'll be a better team if our fullback plays good. For sure."

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected].

boomersooner28
8/18/2006, 09:58 AM
My wife told me that I "have good ball skills." What exactly does that mean anyhow?

jwlynn64
8/18/2006, 10:00 AM
Damn that get's me psyched!

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you mean woot.com. Their having a woot off right now.;)

Widescreen
8/18/2006, 10:16 AM
My wife told me that I "have good ball skills." What exactly does that mean anyhow?
If this was the South Oval, I could come up with multiple quality answers.

CincySooner
8/18/2006, 10:20 AM
wow... a good read... Thanks for posting. Sounds pretty encouraging.

milesl
8/18/2006, 10:24 AM
good read, thanks for the copy and paste so us cube farm sport filtered sooner fans can enjoy it too.

David Earl
8/18/2006, 10:31 AM
Does it strike anybody else as curious that Wilson's description of the offense has gone from "soft" (meaning not concentrating, finishing plays, etc) to "we're going to be awfully good"?

Sooner_Bob
8/18/2006, 10:46 AM
Very cool articles.

NormanPride
8/18/2006, 10:52 AM
Does it strike anybody else as curious that Wilson's description of the offense has gone from "soft" (meaning not concentrating, finishing plays, etc) to "we're going to be awfully good"?

I would say that he's either gotten them to concentrate better, or he's saying different things to different reporters. He may just like the local guys better, and tell them things he wouldn't to the national ones.

Honestly, this article concerned me. I love hearing about all the great things that everyone is doing, but hearing that Paul still has trouble with the long ball just makes me worried. We really, really need him to be able to stretch the field this year. :(

Big Red Ron
8/18/2006, 11:00 AM
My wife told me that I "have good ball skills." What exactly does that mean anyhow?Gay marriage is gross.

:texan:

David Earl
8/18/2006, 11:00 AM
IHonestly, this article concerned me. I love hearing about all the great things that everyone is doing, but hearing that Paul still has trouble with the long ball just makes me worried. We really, really need him to be able to stretch the field this year.

If Paul can hit enough mid range passes (especially to TE's) and hit the short ones in stride that should soften defenses enough. Granted stretching the field ala Jason White would be better, but medium passes would help.

NormanPride
8/18/2006, 11:07 AM
If Paul can hit enough mid range passes (especially to TE's) and hit the short ones in stride that should soften defenses enough. Granted stretching the field ala Jason White would be better, but medium passes would help.

I'm not much of an x's and o's guy, though I'm still learning, but the idea's to keep the safeties back and the LB's respect the passing game, right? You can handle the LBs with mid-range and short stuff that goes long, but the safeties would still creep up without the deep routes, right? I may be off, though.

Either way, I have confidence that Wilson can come up with something that works. We may need to stretch the D from sideline to sideline and take advantage of our tall WRs and fast backfield, whatever. I just want points. ;)

David Earl
8/18/2006, 11:11 AM
Safeties have to respect medium range passes to a certain extent. This is especially true if the target is a big WR (or 250 lb TE!) that can break tackles. If safeties leave it to LB's to get Gresham or JJF, a 10-15 yard pass could easily become 50 yards.

FlatheadSooner
8/18/2006, 11:20 AM

It took Jason a little while to start hitting the deep balls. ENA is progressing, which is all we could hope for at this time. :)

Widescreen
8/18/2006, 11:50 AM
The main thing that keeps me optimistic about this year in light of the QB situation is Kevin Wilson. For some reason I have confidence in the guy. We'll know after a few games if that confidence is misplaced.

The Consumate Showman
8/18/2006, 11:52 AM
ttt

jwlynn64
8/18/2006, 12:00 PM
I'm not much of an x's and o's guy, though I'm still learning, but the idea's to keep the safeties back and the LB's respect the passing game, right? You can handle the LBs with mid-range and short stuff that goes long, but the safeties would still creep up without the deep routes, right? I may be off, though.

Teams moving the safeties up towards the line could help us this year as well. With AD's speed, if he hits a seam, it becomes a race for the end zone and the safeties will not have an angle on him.

Reference the OSU game last year where they tried to stack the box. AD burned them for a few long runs and TDs.

NormanPride
8/18/2006, 12:07 PM
Teams moving the safeties up towards the line could help us this year as well. With AD's speed, if he hits a seam, it becomes a race for the end zone and the safeties will not have an angle on him.

Reference the OSU game last year where they tried to stack the box. AD burned them for a few long runs and TDs.

Very true, but I would not count on every team's safeties being as poorly coached as osu's. ;)

David Earl
8/18/2006, 12:11 PM
That's part of the idea with misdirection and counters. If you can get a defender in the box to turn the wrong way for just a second a play can get big in a hurry.

setem
8/18/2006, 12:14 PM
Do any of you feel that PT has been screwed big time?

I know you have to play the cards you are dealt but cmon he has worked so hard over the years and has seen nothing but disappointment for the last 5 years. I was looking at his recruiting report on rivals yesterday and it seemed at he would be a superstar at OU.

Last season when the coaches hand the helm over to Bomar I was very disappointed in the lack of loyalty they showed PT. He has done nothing but sacrifice of the betterment of the team and when he got his chance they took it away just because of one slip up.

I am not going to say I didn't want Bomar in there. Once they put him I wanted them to leave him there and not try to play the 2 QB system. We have seen it over the last couple years. When you have 2 QB's you have no QB.

I know that PT is going to pull through for us. I do not doubt that he has the ability to do great things.

I know this is wishful thinking but would it not be awesome if PT came out and destroyed every team on our schedule and made that Blunderlick from TX look like longhorn droppings?

I am getting shirts made for my nephew and I.

His is going to be blue and white it will look like the QB jersey. Mine is going to be crimson and blue. It will look like AD's jersey from the spring game. His wills say PT Cruiser and mine is going to say Untouchable.

boomrsoonr
8/18/2006, 12:28 PM
If I remember correctly, Heupel wasn't that great of a long ball passer either. And look what he did. I just hope Paul can read the defenses as well as Josh did.

;)

Desert Sapper
8/18/2006, 12:37 PM
I think you just summed up my thoughts on the QB situation, setem. I wanted PT to take over seamlessly from JW. I thought they pulled him too dang early (and by doing so they effectively lost the TCU game). I was excited about RB, mostly because of all the hype and then because of his performance down the stretch. After all the drunken shennanigans, I wasn't surprised he let everyone down. Disappointed, but not surprised. Now I am excited that PT is back under center, this time with a OC that will allow him to use his athleticism.

If, and it's a big if, he can get his stuff together by Oregon, we may be looking at a great season for PT and this team. We have unbelievable talent at WR, now at TE, possibly with Reggie and Murray in the mix, and AD is the best RB in football.

He doesn't have to nail every long ball. He just has to keep the D honest and hit every short and medium pass he throws. Look at TTech if you think teams have to hit the long ball all the time to have a successful passing game. Tech beats you and we beat people in 2000 because of the short passes, not the long ones.

Texas Golfer
8/18/2006, 12:46 PM
Goes back to my reaction to OU being ranked #14 by S-I. With all the freakish athletes OU has at so many different positions, and as well as they've recruited in recent years, and knowing what the defense and A-D bring to the table, how in the world can you tell me that there are 13 other teams in America who will be better than OU this year? There's no way.

Although we certainly have talented players with great physical skills, many have yet to play a down at this level.

David Earl
8/18/2006, 12:59 PM
Here's another thought about long passes. When a defense is stretching to cover the run or in a nickel package, a pass that goes 20-25 yards in the air isn't necessarily a long ball. But when a team puts 9 in the box to stop the run, all of a sudden a pass that goes 25 yards in the air can get behind the defense, and therefore be considered a long pass.

Desert Sapper
8/18/2006, 01:05 PM
What if you throw a ton of short passes that makes the D cheat up to cover the short play...then you call a play like an out and up or a z out and up or a play action fade....

setem
8/18/2006, 01:10 PM
It is all going to bank on how much respect the D's we face this year are going to respect PT's air game. I think he can do it! If they will respect the pass. AD is gonna run all over folks. It has all be said before. PT need to take it one step at a time...Play by Play Drive By Drive TD by TD Game by Game he has the skills he just has to use them like we all know he can.

SoonerJLB
8/18/2006, 01:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEmOliM5OAY

as well but in a different kind of...gay type way.

setem
8/18/2006, 01:44 PM
I have that video on my MySpace page. It cracks me up!

jwlynn64
8/18/2006, 01:45 PM
I am getting shirts made for my nephew and I.

His is going to be blue and white it will look like the QB jersey. Mine is going to be crimson and blue. It will look like AD's jersey from the spring game. His wills say PT Cruiser and mine is going to say Untouchable.

I'm sorry but are you like 10 years old or something! ;)

Are you going to get a pair of those split heart necklaces so that when you put the two halves together they make a whole.

Geeze, makes me want to puke! (Not kidding! This stuff on a football message board.)

SoonerFan80
8/18/2006, 01:56 PM
When did Adrian ever say that his goal was 2,500 yards? He clearly stated last month in a press conference it was 2,200 yards.

setem
8/18/2006, 02:00 PM
Holy S*** you are gay!

So because my nephew and I love the Sooners that makes you sick?

How about the company in SAXET that baught up all the Bomar Shirts? I think that is pretty damn classy if you ask me!!! I love how you joined in 03 but only have 158 posts!

My nephew and I are giant Sooner fans and we do new stuff every year.

The Maestro
8/18/2006, 02:07 PM
I hope Kevin Wilson does me one favor.

DO NOT TRY A BOMB ON THE FIRST PLAY OF THE FIRST GAME!!!

When that thing fell incomplete to an open man I think we all thought, "Oh, crap! PT can't throw!" Maybe it hurt PT's confidence, too. How about dropping back to fake the bomb and dumping it out to AD on a screen play?

FaninAma
8/18/2006, 02:10 PM
PT made several poor decision on the zone read in the TCU game. Hopefully he'll be better this year. If OU can duplicate the successes of the Northwestern offense then we'll be pretty damned good. PT still has to make the right decision whether it's in the running game or the passing game.

jwlynn64
8/18/2006, 03:07 PM
Holy S*** you are gay!

So because my nephew and I love the Sooners that makes you sick? .

No, because you are so excited that you and your nephew are going to get matching T-Shirts is what makes you gay.

How about the company in SAXET that baught up all the Bomar Shirts? I think that is pretty damn classy if you ask me!!! I love how you joined in 03 but only have 158 posts!

I apologise that I try and spend most of my time at work, working. And when I'm not doing that, I try to spend time with my son and daughter. I'll try and adopt the approach that you have taken and spend all my free time on the boards.

I live in Dallas and we don't get a lot of Sooner news down here so I look at the message board to get OU news. I also realize that most of my thoughts are not that interesting to most people (reference your earlier post about getting matching shirts) so I try and post only when I think that I have something to add to the conversation.

Discretion. Look it up and try to practice some of it.

My nephew and I are giant Sooner fans and we do new stuff every year.

See point one above.

Having said all that, I was only poking fun at you. Sorry you got upset.:)

PS - I'm still poking fun at you. Message above not to be taken too seriously.

CincySooner
8/18/2006, 03:34 PM
I hope Kevin Wilson does me one favor.

DO NOT TRY A BOMB ON THE FIRST PLAY OF THE FIRST GAME!!!

When that thing fell incomplete to an open man I think we all thought, "Oh, crap! PT can't throw!" Maybe it hurt PT's confidence, too. How about dropping back to fake the bomb and dumping it out to AD on a screen play?

I disagree... to me it showed that OU still had the guts (maybe not ability) to throw down the field. Given that everyone in the stadium thought the first play would be a safe handoff to AD, it was unlikely to be picked off. If it is completed, the fans would have gone nuts and it it falls incomplete, so what.

The Maestro
8/18/2006, 03:38 PM
If it is completed, the fans would have gone nuts and it it falls incomplete, so what.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...we lost at home to TC Freaking U!!!

If my aunt had balls, she'd be hosting The View. She doesn't, the pass WASN'T completed and I believe putting the pressure on the very first play of the season for PT to throw a bomb WAS/IS a bad idea!

I don't want guts...I want ball movement, touchdowns and WINS!

CincySooner
8/18/2006, 03:44 PM
Im just saying I think the reward outweighed the risk in that situation.

Texas Golfer
8/18/2006, 03:50 PM
I disagree... to me it showed that OU still had the guts (maybe not ability) to throw down the field. Given that everyone in the stadium thought the first play would be a safe handoff to AD, it was unlikely to be picked off. If it is completed, the fans would have gone nuts and it it falls incomplete, so what.

Clearly, TCU wasn't expecting that on the first play as they stacked the box to stop AD. Had the thrown been on target, there's no way that it wasn't a TD. The fault, in this case, was Thompson's, not Long's.

The Maestro
8/18/2006, 03:55 PM
All I am saying is stick to your strengths. Sure...I guarantee that UAB isn't expecting Duke Robinson to line up at QB, either, but that doesn't mean we want to do it.

jwlynn64
8/18/2006, 04:37 PM
All I am saying is stick to your strengths. Sure...I guarantee that UAB isn't expecting Duke Robinson to line up at QB, either, but that doesn't mean we want to do it.

How does trotting out DR at QB gain us an advantage to score a TD?

Cincysooner and Texas Golfer are correct in that the play call was great just the execution was off.

We might suspect that PT has trouble with the long ball but until he does it more than once, we just wont know.

How many times did we see JW over or underthrow receivers on long routes. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Let's not jump to too many conclusions until we see PT in several games.

The Maestro
8/18/2006, 05:03 PM
Good Lord, I am talking about the first play of the season...not saying to never throw it.

jwlynn64
8/18/2006, 05:57 PM
You're contetion was that it was called at the wrong time. Cincysooner and Texas Golfer are pointing out that the play was called at the right time but PT just didn't get it there.

Obviously, the coaching staff thought that Paul could make the play or else they wouldn't have called it. On that particular play, he just didn't put it where it needed to be. It was first down, no harm no foul.

That pass didn't loose the game for us. We pretty much stunk the whole game. Additionally, many of us thought that PT was pulled too soon. He should have been given time to get over the jitters. Sometimes that takes a half.

Also, TCU was not a bad team. Give them credit. They were ready for the game.

goingoneight
8/19/2006, 01:05 AM
When did Adrian ever say that his goal was 2,500 yards? He clearly stated last month in a press conference it was 2,200 yards.

He was talking about two different games... ;)

FormerSoonerProf
8/19/2006, 11:20 AM
We must have a very protective OL for PT to have any success throwing the ball. Passing is not his forte, but if the OL can give him time and if he settles down, PT can be good at the passing game. KW needs to give PT the chance to build confidence in his passing skills. The OL must step up and be SOLID at pass protection.

boomrsoonr
8/19/2006, 12:52 PM
Have to disagree. Huepel didn't have a strong arm, but his TOUCH on deep passes was amazing. Remember the tying touchdown pass to Fagan against Nebraska in 2000? Throwing the long ball is about touch, not arm-strength. Huepel was exceptional in that department.

But you have to have the arm to get it out there. Heupel threw very few long passes (that I can remember). The best thing about Josh was he could read the defenses and make the necessary changes without thinking twice. If he read blitz, he'd burn them every time with short, over the middle passes, behind the blitzers.

BTW, it's Heupel (Hipal), not Huepel (hoopal). ;)

Miko
8/19/2006, 01:46 PM
That's part of the idea with misdirection and counters. If you can get a defender in the box to turn the wrong way for just a second a play can get big in a hurry.

Isn't that like the "waggle" play we kept burning texas with two years ago?

Miko
8/19/2006, 01:50 PM
Peterson ...honestly, it's like someone chiseled him out of stone. After two years of work under renowned strength coach Jerry Schmidt, the 6-foot-2 Peterson has gone from 208 pounds as a freshman to 222, and if there's an ounce of fat on his body, you wouldn't know it. "I think I'm a lot more powerful [than as a freshman]," said Peterson. "I'm healthy and I'm feeling stronger."

Daayumm!:eek:

Is it September yet?!?!?!?!:pop:

David Earl
8/19/2006, 01:59 PM
Isn't that like the "waggle" play we kept burning texas with two years ago?

Are you talking about the play where we ran the opposite direction we'd been running in previous games that year?

Miko
8/19/2006, 02:10 PM
I thought the line slanted right, and we pitched to AD who ran left, untouched until he plowed over a db.

David Earl
8/19/2006, 02:15 PM
I thought the line slanted right, and we pitched to AD who ran left, untouched until he plowed over a db.

Yeah, that's a variation of the kind of misdirection I'm talking about.

snp
8/19/2006, 02:18 PM

Not everyone. ;) Travis told us the night before to make sure we didn't miss the first play; it was going to make everyone go nuts. We figured he meant a play action bomb to him, and we were right.

Also, if ENA throws an 80 yard bomb on the first play, he might've rolled on the whole year. It was a tough pass to make, and thinking that he lost confidence because he couldn't hit a sprinting WR 40 yards down field is dumb.

Big Red Ron
8/19/2006, 05:45 PM
I thought the line slanted right, and we pitched to AD who ran left, untouched until he plowed over a db."The fling" play. A Kevin Wilson special. I can only imagine how bad we would have looked on offense had he not been here during the Chuck Long days.

SoonerAtKU
8/20/2006, 02:04 PM
Denver ran that same play during their preseason game this weekend. They didn't look quite as good as AD did in 2004, but still...

snp
8/20/2006, 02:42 PM
"The fling" play. A Kevin Wilson special. I can only imagine how bad we would have looked on offense had he not been here during the Chuck Long days.

And why did we stop seeing that play after that game? I'm having trouble remembering just once when we ran it afterwards.