PDA

View Full Version : Billy Sims BBQ

RacerX
8/18/2006, 06:04 AM
Going to open in Edmond on 2nd street west of Kelly. Where the Henry's Chicken Fry place was.

Okla-homey
8/18/2006, 06:06 AM
Going to open in Edmond on 2nd street west of Kelly. Where the Henry's Chicken Fry place was.

It should do well. The food is good and the atmosphere is Sooner greatness. It ain't BBQ...its Sooner Q!

BOOMER!

jk the sooner fan
8/18/2006, 06:46 AM
does he have a place in norman?

Okla-homey
8/18/2006, 06:52 AM

I don't think so.

Boomer.....
8/18/2006, 08:25 AM

No, none around there but there are at least two up in Tulsa.

MiccoMacey
8/18/2006, 08:29 AM
Me personally, I don't like the food. The ribs aren't very good.

[calling 12thmanSoonerfan]Then again, I'm spoiled. I lived in College Station and had C&J ribs for two years. [/calling 12thmanSoonerfan]

8/18/2006, 08:35 AM
Preach on, Micco.

They just opened one on my way home from the office. I have to glance over at the train tracks every time I pass it so I won't turn in.

sooneron
8/18/2006, 08:36 AM
I like Billy's Memphis sauce, it's BoomerQ!!

Never had the food though

crawfish
8/18/2006, 08:53 AM
That's so much cooler than Earl Cambell's weiners.

Boomer.....
8/18/2006, 10:02 AM

His hot links are pretty good.

Okla-homey
8/18/2006, 10:04 AM
Me personally, I don't like the food. The ribs aren't very good.

Why do you hate a Sooner legend and Heisman winner?

Okla-homey
8/18/2006, 10:05 AM

or Daryl Royal's Donuts

crawfish
8/18/2006, 10:46 AM
His hot links are pretty good.

I don't care how freaking good his hot links are, I would NEVER buy 'em. He's a whorn, for freak's sake. :mad:

JohnnyMack
8/18/2006, 10:48 AM
Elmer's pwns Billy Sims.

Sorry, but it da troof.

MiccoMacey
8/18/2006, 11:07 AM
Preach on, Micco.

They just opened one on my way home from the office. I have to glance over at the train tracks every time I pass it so I won't turn in.

[Wondering aloud to himself] Doesn't OU play A&M down at College Station this year? [/Wondering aloud to himself]

We may be making a road trip. And when I say we, I'm referring to me and my stomach.

1stTimeCaller
8/18/2006, 11:22 AM
Elmer's be bad.

I lub Elmer's but he has nothing on the greatness that is Roy's in Chickasha.

setem
8/18/2006, 11:28 AM
I have never been to a Billy Sims BBQ! I guess I might have to try it. When I lived in Arkansas we were only a few mins from the MO border. Benton County where Bentonville is located is a dry county and just over the border they have a liquor store called Macadoodle's. They have a smoke house that makes some of the best wet ribs I have ever had.

My nephew likes the ribs from Van's I don't care for them much. I do like the Big Pig Sandwich and the Big Hot Link Sandwich. They need beer there though.

MiccoMacey
8/18/2006, 11:34 AM
My nephew likes the ribs from Van's I don't care for them much. I do like the Big Pig Sandwich and the Big Hot Link Sandwich. They need beer there though.

Dude, I worked at the Van's in Shawnee (the original store) for like three summers. Van's is good. Go to the store on Highland Street in Shawnee. It's better.

BTW, Tim Moon used to manage that store (he also owned JT's Steakhouse on Air Depot until they closed down...I think he sold his store to Crockett's and promised not to open for x years...something like that). He has his own store on Sunnylane or Sooner Road in Midwest City. Some strange hours, but I hear his ribs are bombalicious.

setem
8/18/2006, 11:36 AM
Is it Van's Pig Stand like the one in Nompton?

MiccoMacey
8/18/2006, 04:23 PM
Is it Van's Pig Stand like the one in Nompton?

Actually, it's the original store. Much better. Much more history and ambience. Actual newspages from the day things happened (Dewey defeats Truman, etc...) Great feel and great food. Better than the offshoots.

Plus, I went to Billy Sims BBQ today. Not as bad as I remembered it. Would eat there again, if paid for by someone else. Took my two daughters there with me and we watched the 2000 Orange Bowl while we ate. Good times.

Jimminy Crimson
8/18/2006, 06:40 PM
Horrible location by the Billy folks. Ida picked a location closer to UCO or in the Bryant Square vicinity.

Steve's is down the street and pwns all bbq in OKC.

whatsername
8/19/2006, 07:09 AM
You guys are making me hungry for some BBQ!!

Any of you in Tulsa ever go to Knotty Pine, near downtown? Everyone at work seems to love it.

GDC
9/4/2006, 08:39 PM
I went to Margaret's in the Farm in Tulsa today because I've been wanting some German food, but they were closed. I finally tried Billy's BBQ next door to it, and the food was pretty good, and as someone else said it's a great Sooner atmosphere, except for the Barry Sanders jersey on the wall. They were playing the 86 Orange Bowl on the TVs, greatness.

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2006, 08:43 PM
I'd be a little concerned about Billy interupting my meal by yelling "BOOMER" repeatedly.

hurricane'bone
9/4/2006, 08:46 PM
I hung out with Uwe and his hot wife last year at the location in BA.

Okla-homey
9/4/2006, 10:11 PM
I hung out with Uwe and his smoking hot wife last year at the location in BA.

fixed it.

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 10:47 PM
You guys are making me hungry for some BBQ!!

Any of you in Tulsa ever go to Knotty Pine, near downtown? Everyone at work seems to love it.
Try Reba Dales at 36th Street North and Cinncinati.

If you can eat the baked potato....

They should give it to you free IMO.

That thing is a MONSTER!

The hot links are awesome too.

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 10:47 PM
Legends BBQ in Owasso is pretty hard to beat IMO.

MiccoMacey
9/5/2006, 12:32 AM
Legends BBQ in Owasso is pretty hard to beat IMO.

I work with the owner (a fire fighter as well).

He's not affiliated with the one in Tulsa on Sheridan except in name only.

Apparently thre's one in Jenks that's pretty good as well. "Big Daddy's" or something like that.

And I honestly believe the Knotty Pine is THE worst I've ever had. I'll never go back again.

Williesan
9/5/2006, 11:46 AM
Knotty Pine is hit and miss. Some nights the ribs just fall of the bone, others you need a chainsaw to eat them.

Billy's has been pretty consistent, and the hotlinks are worth a trip.

The best ribs I've had recently was Mojo's in Catoosa.

The best BBQ I've had ever is Lexington BBQ in Lexington, NC. Period. Best pulled pork anywhere. The sauce (which taken straight can gag an elephant... or make the pregnant wife gag just on smell alone) is really good over the pork, and they have this stuff called red coleslaw. Greatness. Only drawback is that it's 1000 mile away. Not quite a quick run over to the Farm for Billy's.

The best BBQ though is your own. Master the art of cooking BBQ, and you won't want to go to the restaurants much more. (Still working on the pulled pork, but the brisket and ribs are there. ;)

Williesan

(Edit - Big Daddy's is OK - I've had the super spud, and finished it in an hour before, but that's all I've had there. Also - there's a new Wilson's location on 11th and Louisville where Del Rancho was for a short time. Need to go try sometime soon.)

GDC
9/5/2006, 12:30 PM
The best ribs are still My Place in Muskogee, not Tahlequah.

RacerX
9/5/2006, 12:42 PM
The best ribs are still My Place in Muskogee, not Tahlequah.

Good eatin'!