PDA

View Full Version : Reggie getting Reps as Receiver

emoinwinter
8/18/2006, 01:00 AM
How many of you already saw this coming?

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2475&ATCLID=543308

(sorry if this has already been posted)

Egeo
8/18/2006, 01:06 AM
im up for whatever scores the td's

Miko
8/18/2006, 01:10 AM

I always considered it, but I didn't expect it this soon. ;)

Jimminy Crimson
8/18/2006, 02:01 AM
He can punt and play QB, if need be.

NormanOU
8/18/2006, 09:38 AM
Reggie Smith is a true ATHLETE

AlabamaSooner
8/18/2006, 11:14 AM
I sure wouldn't mind another Woolfolk.

southern sooner
8/18/2006, 12:23 PM
I look forward to seeing a lil of him on offense, however; with as many solid receivers as we have sure would hate to see him get hurt on offense. We need to keep him solid at corner and healthy...

Texas Golfer
8/18/2006, 12:55 PM
I would not move him from cornerback to wide receiver until Paul can prove that he can get the ball to him. Reggie is too valuable in the defensive backfield.

Desert Sapper
8/18/2006, 01:01 PM
I'd like to see some tricky end arounds, WR runs, WR passing plays, and some quick slants that let him use his ability to get the YAC. He's an unreal athlete that gives another option to PT when our WRs aren't open.

jk the sooner fan
8/18/2006, 01:16 PM
he'll be a great decoy if nothing else

SoonerJLB
8/18/2006, 01:29 PM
he'll be a great decoy if nothing else

That is what I was thinking. Kind of like the way the Cowboys would put in Dion Sanders as a WR every now and then...defenders would double team or focus on him and Aikmen would find the open receiver or hand-off to Emmitt.

Of course, for RS to be a decoy, he is going to need to make a few bring time plays at WR first.

jk the sooner fan
8/18/2006, 01:32 PM
That is what I was thinking. Kind of like the way the Cowboys would put in Dion Sanders as a WR every now and then...defenders would double team or focus on him and Aikmen would find the open receiver or hand-off to Emmitt.

Of course, for RS to be a decoy, he is going to need to make a few bring time plays at WR first.

yeah you've got to throw/get him the ball a few times, otherwise teams will think we're calling wolf

msteudem
8/18/2006, 09:52 PM
Screen pass to RS and he takes it all the waaayyy!!!!!

the_ouskull
8/18/2006, 11:22 PM
I've got an even better idea. We can line him, AD, and PT up in the backfield for the first play of the season, to get the fans off their hands, and then we can shift the formation to a play where AD lines up under center and Reggie and PT line up as wideouts. Then...

Sorry. I had a John Blake moment. I think I'm okay now.

the_ouskull

goingoneight
8/19/2006, 12:34 AM

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2475&ATCLID=543308

(sorry if this has already been posted)

He'll be Texas' favorite reciever!!!

BASSooner
8/19/2006, 01:33 AM
I would not move him from cornerback to wide receiver until Paul can prove that he can get the ball to him. Reggie is too valuable in the defensive backfield.
my thoughts exactly. we can't have this guy on the sidelines with crutches...

trwxxa
8/19/2006, 10:11 AM
I look forward to seeing a lil of him on offense, however; with as many solid receivers as we have sure would hate to see him get hurt on offense. We need to keep him solid at corner and healthy...

Agree. We need him to focus on D until we build up some depth at DB, which will allow him some offensive time and still give him a few plays off.

NormanPride
8/19/2006, 11:01 AM
Agree. We need him to focus on D until we build up some depth at DB, which will allow him some offensive time and still give him a few plays off.

I think that's why he's working some at WR - because the coaches feel comfortable with Lendy and Marcus' levels of play.

SoonerStud615
8/19/2006, 12:08 PM
I knew this was coming, I watched him play at Santa Fe, and he played every position almost, and dominated at all of them. He never came off the field. Although, at the time I didnt think it was that exciting seeing as I watched him from the Edmond North Side, and we usually didn't come out on the good end of that game...

GDC
8/19/2006, 12:58 PM
Cornerback practicing at receiver, too
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
8/19/2006

Sooner coaches look to get '15-20 plays a game' from Reggie Smith.
NORMAN -- Forgive Reggie Smith for running a little wild at Oklahoma football practice last week.

"He came back and gave (safety) Keenan Clayton a crackback block," OU wide receivers coach Kevin Sumlin said. "He ran back to the huddle with Keenan yelling at him. About 10 minutes later, he was over on defense hitting our (receivers). He was having a good time."

His wish had come true. Smith, the Sooners' starting cornerback, was approached by coaches last Monday about doubling at receiver.

"They had mentioned it before," Smith said, "but I never thought it would actually happen."

It's happening.

"We're experimenting a little bit to see if he can handle it," Sumlin said. "If he can, we can get 15-20 plays a game out of him.

"It's not an every-down deal. But he is a guy that could be a third-down receiver for us."

Smith has played this dual role before. He caught 47 passes for 607 yards and eight touchdowns as an Edmond Santa Fe senior in 2004. He scored 37 times as a running back/wideout his junior and senior years combined.

Of course, Smith was also ESPN.com's No. 4-rated prep cornerback in

the nation. And when OU signed him, it was to patrol the secondary.

The Sooners plugged Smith in at safety last season, then moved him to cornerback and made him their kick returner last spring. They were tapping into his talent reserve a little at a time.

The move to receiver is just the next step in that process.

"People want to compare it to Andre Woolfolk," Stoops said of OU's receiver-turned-cornerback from 1999-02. "To me, (Smith) is much more natural at it than Andre was. He's a legitimate receiver, the way he runs and catches and what he can do with (the ball) after he has it."

"He's got great speed. He hasn't dropped a ball yet. He's a great competitor," quarterback Paul Thompson said. Make no mistake, Smith's primary focus remains defense. But with backup corners Lendy Holmes and Marcus Walker enjoying productive camps, the Sooners feel secure turning Smith over to the offense. For cameos at least.

"We just have to find the right balance for him," Stoops said.

Sumlin's 15-20 plays suits Smith fine for now. It beats the zero he was in on before last week.

"I'm going to make the best of it," Smith said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected].

Miko
8/19/2006, 01:35 PM
Just don't put the towel boy in at middle linebacker. It didn't work for Michigan. ;)

rhombic21
8/19/2006, 01:38 PM
I think it's a great move. You can't worry about guys getting hurt. He probably has just as much a chance to get hurt on defense as he does on offense or returning kicks. If he's going to get hurt he's going to get hurt. You can't be afraid of it. We have depth at corner with Walker and Holmes, let's take advantage of it.

And the man is a playmaker, which you can't ever have too many of. I think he brings an element to the offense than none of the other receivers really do, because of his tremendous ability to run after the catch. I think he gives us a threat that the defense has to really pay attention to, because he's one of those guys that can score every time he touches the ball.

snp
8/19/2006, 02:58 PM
Get our best athletes the ball as often as possible.

I still bitch that Clayton never got any reps as RB.

I_Live_In_OK
8/19/2006, 03:25 PM
some tricky end arounds

this made me giggle

trwxxa
8/19/2006, 04:58 PM
I think that's why he's working some at WR - because the coaches feel comfortable with Lendy and Marcus' levels of play.

:cool:

GDC
8/20/2006, 03:03 PM
Big Dreams: Reggie Smith
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
8/20/2006

Father instilled versatility in OU defender
NORMAN -- Football was no first love for Oklahoma cornerback Reggie Smith. He was too good at everything.

Like baseball. He went out for football because his ballyard teammates were going to.

And basketball.

"I thought I was going to play basketball. That's what I was mostly known for growing up," Smith said.

His father, Reginald Sr., had played football, however. He showed him a few things, just in case. More than a few, actually.

"He taught me to be versatile," Smith said. "I looked up to that."

By the time Smith was an Edmond Santa Fe upperclassman, excelling at receiver, defensive back and kick returns, he embodied his dad's lesson.

So long, basketball. Hello, high school football All-America.

Hello, big-time college football.

"I always wanted to go to a big school where defensive backs were known," Smith said. "Miami, Oklahoma or someplace like that."

OU it would be. Now he's a sophomore star-in-the-making with more aspirations.

"Now, I want to do good," he said, "be in the running for the Thorpe Award (presented

annually to the top defensive back) sometime, and go on to the next level.".

I_Live_In_OK
8/20/2006, 05:24 PM
"I always wanted to go to a big school where defensive backs were known," Smith said. "Miami, Oklahoma or someplace like that."

Hooray recruits that read.

budbarrybob
8/20/2006, 10:21 PM
i remember a dude named RW Mcquarters (sp?) who did this kinda thing... i also remembering him doing it rather... well