PDA

View Full Version : What will PT have to do to make you happy?

SOONER44EVER
8/17/2006, 07:02 PM
If PT can better Bomar's stats from last year I'll be pretty happy.

Bomar's 2005 stats.

Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rating Att Yds Avg TD
308 167 54.2 2,018 10 10 113.5 90 180 2.0 4

I think he'll definitely have more rushing yards and his passing stats will be at least equal. Its not like he is replacing Jason White or anything. Thoughts?

mrowl
8/17/2006, 07:09 PM
win the first game and we will talk... ;)

MiccoMacey
8/17/2006, 07:11 PM
Not lose games.

He doesn't have to win any either. Just don't lose them.

As for TD/Int ratios and ypg stats, couldn't care less.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/17/2006, 07:15 PM
Minimize dumb mistakes that result in turnovers.

He doesn't have to be a world beater, but just put up about 25-30 points a game

AlbqSooner
8/17/2006, 07:26 PM
If ENA can better the stats of the guy he is replacing, there will be a lot of sportswriters having to rethink their respective analyses.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/17/2006, 07:28 PM
I am pretty much going to be happy with him regardless of what he does on the field...he has earned that priveledge.

proud gonzo
8/17/2006, 07:36 PM
I think he'll have to not get arrested for being a dumbass. that'd make me happy.

Harry Beanbag
8/17/2006, 07:44 PM
Just don't turn the ball over. Rhett had 10 INTs and God knows how many fumbles.

lukin254
8/17/2006, 07:46 PM
The receivers should be a lot better, right? As much crap as Bomar takes, he did have a young receiving group to throw to last year and did a decent job, especially later in the year. As long as the line stays relatively healthy, Thompson should be able to take enough pressure off the line to open up more space for Peterson. But even if Thompson is horrible, Peterson is good enough (if they give him the ball 40 times) to win 8 or 9 games by himself and that defense. But Thompson needs to throw the deep ball better than he did in the scrimmage. Nobody liked to watch Mangino's lateral passing game.

BigUgly
8/17/2006, 07:59 PM
win the first game and we will talk... ;)

Amen. That's all that matters right now...

olevetonahill
8/17/2006, 08:03 PM
I am pretty much going to be happy with him regardless of what he does on the field...he has earned that priveledge.
Ditto
Now what will make me extremely happy is for him to lead us to, and win that game ;)

Boarder
8/17/2006, 08:06 PM
It'd be cool if he completed the first pass of the year to a wide open reciever down the middle of the field.

King Crimson
8/17/2006, 08:14 PM
convert some third downs.

TheGodfather889
8/17/2006, 08:15 PM
Win games and alot of them.

opksooner
8/17/2006, 08:18 PM
An occasional 15 yard completion on 3rd and 14 would be very nice.

Otherwise....."just win, Baby!"

birddog
8/17/2006, 08:37 PM
hopefully he learns to go thru his reads and not lock in on one receiver. if he can manage the game and make the right audibles, he doesn't have to throw for 300 yards to be successful. at this point, he's done so much for this team i'll enjoy watching him play either way.

Duke o Brewery
8/17/2006, 08:47 PM
Beat texas.

ADs_Agent
8/17/2006, 08:53 PM
make it where my boy can win his trophy

soonersam
8/17/2006, 08:54 PM
60% pass completion
and read the end correctly

Soonermagik
8/17/2006, 09:11 PM
Just be a decent QB, our defense will take care of the rest!!!!!

SoonerDood
8/17/2006, 09:19 PM
if PT= Cotton Bowl Nate Hybl, I will be extremely happy.

Soonerus
8/17/2006, 09:25 PM
play better than Hybl...

soonerinabilene
8/17/2006, 09:34 PM
play better than Hybl...

gotta disagree with this one. hybl did a heck of a job. he didnt go undefeated , but then again neither did jason white. if thompson puts up numbers close to nate, defenses will have to stay honest and that opens it up more for ad. i personally would like to see a craig krenzyl type year from pt. no gawdy stats, not a great qb, but he didnt lose games. he made plays when he had to, but for the most part relied on his running back and defense. pretty sure he had a good end to that season.:pop:

goingoneight
8/17/2006, 09:41 PM
Win the Heisman. So AD has a reason to come back in 2007!!!

j/k. I think ENA, even with another 7-5ish season, will be one of my favorite Sooners. You may think that's ridiculous, but the guy has done everything in his power for a university that's not in his home state. I wanted to see him do excellent at WR before Bomar fumbled up for the same reasons....

Readyfor8
8/17/2006, 10:12 PM
Not drink at public sporting events, not fall out of the back of a pickup truck, and keep his pockets empty and he will be guaranteed the 4th best QB of the Decade...

Win a BCS bowl and he will be 3rd.

Personnally I think he is one of the best team players and the best Sooner of the decade already. This kid has given everything asked of him and then some, sure Q gave up a redshirt but ENA gave up 3 years as a back up and 1 year as 2nd string Wideout to be on the field so he already makes my Hall of Fame...

Egeo
8/17/2006, 10:36 PM
play better than Hybl...
ya im gonna have to agree on this one
but i dont want to get started on it so please dont reply to it abilene

id like to see him be good enough to keep the defense honest: which means about 2500 total yards
not lose us games by taking care of the football

but we've gotta support him no matter what

Miko
8/17/2006, 10:38 PM
Rid Ireland of snakes or the cotton bowl of orange. His choice. :D

TheGodfather889
8/17/2006, 11:25 PM
Win the Heisman. So AD has a reason to come back in 2007!!!

j/k. I think ENA, even with another 7-5ish season, will be one of my favorite Sooners. You may think that's ridiculous, but the guy has done everything in his power for a university that's not in his home state. I wanted to see him do excellent at WR before Bomar fumbled up for the same reasons....
A 7-5 season?

SoonerFan80
8/17/2006, 11:35 PM
If Paul Thompson leads this year's OU squad to a National Title, he will then make me happy.

yermom
if his passing stats are as good as Hybl's i think we'll be playing in Arizona in January

i'll be happy with 50-60% completions and a 2-3:1 TD to INT ratio

sendbaht
Just be himself, he's a good kid...or I'm sure he would agree and perfer..a young man.

47straight
8/17/2006, 11:43 PM
Play with heart and class.

olevetonahill
8/18/2006, 12:11 AM
Play with heart and class.

Hasnt he always ? :confused:

Readyfor8
8/18/2006, 12:12 AM
ya im gonna have to agree on this one
but i dont want to get started on it so please dont reply to it abilene

id like to see him be good enough to keep the defense honest: which means about 2500 total yards
not lose us games by taking care of the football

but we've gotta support him no matter what

Idiot, you would give your left nut for Hybl right now and you know it. That BigXII Champ, Rose Bowl MVP isn't looking so bad now huh? Morons...

Egeo
8/18/2006, 12:29 AM
Idiot, you would give your left nut for Hybl right now and you know it. That BigXII Champ, Rose Bowl MVP isn't looking so bad now huh? Morons...
actually i wouldnt - i dont think he was very good at all
but that is my opinion and im entitled to it - meaningless as it is

if i were a coach and i had the choice between pt and hybl id take pt for is speed alone

*of course the ncaa stats site is down...
but a good point anyhow - in another thread, someone said i hated ND cause i said brady quinn was a returning 2 year starter
and that person said that quinn was pretty much pathetic

as a sophomore (his pathetic season) he passed for 2500 yards and threw for like 55% with 17td and 10 ints
nate hybl, as a senior
threw for 2538 yards 24td and 8int completing 57.5% while playing on a superior team (i think most soonerfans would agree)

that doesnt sound much better than "struggling, ineffective qb" to me

SOONER44EVER
8/18/2006, 12:33 AM
I'd definitely take a season like Hybl had from PT. It would be a huge improvement over what we had last year.

Readyfor8
8/18/2006, 12:39 AM
actually i wouldnt - i dont think he was very good at all
but that is my opinion and im entitled to it - meaningless as it is

if i were a coach and i had the choice between pt and hybl id take pt for is speed alone

*to be edited with stats shortly

Thats why you are a goon posting crap about player that has been off the field for 3+ years on a message board at 1230 instead of a coach. Hybl wasnt a god but he was a damn fine QB and anyone who thinks otherwise isn't entitled to anything but a CAT Scan and some Rorschach Tests.

Traber did all the bashing on Hybl that should have ever been done and anyone who wants to jump on that band wagon can go ahead and get off the Sooner one while they are at it.

SOONER44EVER
8/18/2006, 12:43 AM
Nate's biggest mistake was that he had to follow Josh.

Egeo
8/18/2006, 12:43 AM
well, im helping my local highschool team this year - if that makes you feel any better
but as far as bandwagons go - i did my 4 years at teh university so you can lick my nuts

im not trying to say hybl was terrible - but he was average at best and paul has more potential than that
but "damn fine qb" is quite an overstatement. im being realistic about the guy's ability, maybe you need the cat scan eh?

sooner44ever is definitely correct about hybl's senior stats being an upgrade over frosh nomar

Readyfor8
8/18/2006, 12:54 AM
well, im helping my local highschool team this year - if that makes you feel anybetter

im not trying to say hybl was terrible - but he was average at best and paul has more potential than that

sooner44ever is definitely correct about hybl's senior stats being an upgrade over frosh nomar

I feel sorry for that team.

You are still dogging a player who put in more time for this team than you ever will, Soonerus and yourself need to give Hybl a freakin break. I'll let you off if you can name one player who graduated OU that gets more crap than Hybl.

You can't name one, and thats my point. Hybl graduated a Rose Bowl MVP, a BigXII Champ, and had a 21-3 record as a starter. And he still takes crap from you wannabes, the guy played to the best of his ability and beat Texas twice, leave him alone.

47straight
8/18/2006, 12:55 AM
Hasnt he always ? :confused:

Not saying he didn't! But the topic is what will PT have to do to make me happy - and that's what it will take.

jwlynn64
8/18/2006, 01:12 AM
Just don't turn the ball over. Rhett had 10 INTs and God knows how many fumbles.

Turn overs cost us the TCU, UCLA and Texas Tech games. Just don't throw picks or take big sacks and cough the ball up.

If he can avoid those, I think that he will turn into a pretty good QB.

Egeo
8/18/2006, 01:16 AM
I feel sorry for that team.
why?

You are still dogging a player who put in more time for this team than you ever will, Soonerus and yourself need to give Hybl a freakin break.
im not dogging him, im giving an honest appraisal of his skills - i didnt even bring it up, i just agreed that id like to see ena play better
and im sorry im not 6-4 with a 4.5 40yd - i didnt play for OU cause i couldnt not because i didnt want to
while were all busy personally attacking me, i paid for my tuition (well what schollies didnt); did you?

I'll let you off if you can name one player who graduated OU that gets more crap than Hybl.
everage gets alot of crap
i know charles thompson went back to school, but im not sure it was OU
hybl was the weak link on a team that included the best defense in the stoops era; and then he was arrogant

You can't name one, and thats my point. Hybl graduated a Rose Bowl MVP, a BigXII Champ, and had a 21-3 record as a starter. And he still takes crap from you wannabes, the guy played to the best of his ability and beat Texas twice, leave him alone.
he beat texas by himself - thats awesome!

*anyways - in my first post i said i didnt even want to get into it
and we did anyways - you wont see me in this thread anymore

Octavian
8/18/2006, 01:21 AM
bake me cookies

jwlynn64
8/18/2006, 01:21 AM
I think that people mainly remember the Cottom Bowl Hybl. He was pretty banged up that year (remember the beating he took in the K-State game? Never was the same after that).

He played a heck of a lot better the next year and we would have been in the national title game if not for the end of the season choking by the defense against aTm and OSU. That's when we found out we had no defense against the long ball.

Octavian
8/18/2006, 01:25 AM
There's a 90,000 seat stadium resting in the valleys of southern California that's an American icon and a mecca of college football.

Nate Hybl's name is permanently carved into it's side.

The end.

Readyfor8
8/18/2006, 01:27 AM
why?

im not dogging him, im giving an honest appraisal of his skills - i didnt even bring it up, i just agreed that id like to see ena play better
and im sorry im not 6-4 with a 4.5 40yd - i didnt play for OU cause i couldnt not because i didnt want to
while were all busy personally attacking me, i paid for my tuition (well what schollies didnt); did you?

everage gets alot of crap
i know charles thompson went back to school, but im not sure it was OU
hybl was the weak link on a team that included the best defense in the stoops era; and then he was arrogant

he beat texas by himself - thats awesome!

*anyways - in my first post i said i didnt even want to get into it
and we did anyways - you wont see me in this thread anymore

You honestly think Everage gets as much crap as Hybl on this board. You need to grow up and show some respect to players who have invested time and energy into the betterment of a program.

Your not 6-5 4.5 40? Sounds like an excuse coming from a guy that sits in the stands eating Cheetos. If you can't do better then shut up and leave the 20 year old kids to all the heavy lifting.

*** edited by Phil - watch the name-calling or you'll get zapped.

rainiersooner
8/18/2006, 01:38 AM
Have sex with Britney Spears.

Blues1
8/18/2006, 05:47 AM
Beat Texas.....!!!!

PT just play the best you can -- It's a team sport...22 men win games - Not just one...

Give a 110% - Like I know you will -- and of course - Keep Rockin'

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/18/2006, 07:20 AM
Hell Nate Hybl was dating Stephanie Simon and if I was dating her...you couldn't fit my head through any doors on campus. I mean seriously, she spoke at least 3 languages, was a lawyer(or doctor can't remember which), a real sweetheart, and to top that off was hott as hell!!!

FlatheadSooner
8/18/2006, 12:29 PM
The stars have aligned for PT and his dream of being starting OU QB.

Be the One! Take it and run like a mother#$!%&*!!!! :eek: :cool:

Desert Sapper
8/18/2006, 12:58 PM
Hybl was much better when he led us to the Rose Bowl than he was when we went Cotton. I'd take a Hybl Rose year from ENA any day.

However, I was at the Okie-Lite game (not easy for me in the military to be at many games) in 2001, and we looked like crap on O. The D looked good, but Hybl didn't do jack. Of course, if we pitched a shutout against the pokes, it wouldn't have mattered. We didn't. Hybl struggled. Nuff said. What he did the next year, as a senior, was very impressive. If PT does that, we win a championship.

I just want Paul to play his game and not lose the football. If he can keep the D from loading the box, AD will do the rest. It may amount to him checking off and hitting open guys, instead of throwing into double and triple coverage. If one of the big time WRs aren't open, could be AD is, or one of the TEs (who should be infinitely better this year). Not forcing throws is something he needs to learn from Coach Heupel. We just need to support.

Miko
8/18/2006, 01:05 PM
I want PT to read the lindbacker on the fullback option, make a clean pitch on the outside, or when he keeps it and turns upfield, to use his natural speed and quickness.

Oh wait, that was what I wanted from Jamelle.

Nevermind.

Miko
8/18/2006, 01:11 PM
To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women...:D

OUstudent4life
8/18/2006, 01:21 PM
I'm already happy with PT.

If he ends up with more TD's (throwing + rushing) than TO's I'll be uber-happy.

Anything more than 8 wins = icing on the cake.

JLB
8/18/2006, 01:27 PM
Not fumble snaps.Bomar did that alot last year and it ****ed me off.

westcoast_sooner
8/18/2006, 03:32 PM
To Crush OU's enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women...:D

Fixed....

CrimsonChampion
8/18/2006, 03:39 PM
Keep the turnovers to a minimum, take control of the offense and don't get out of "comfort zone".

If Paul looks comfortable in there and moves around without trying to do too much we'll do great. He can make the throws as long as he doesn't try to force them.

Don't forget, last year against TCU, he had the supposed "future" of our offense waiting on the sidelines to take over at the helm, now it's his job and his offense, he'll do great.

CincySooner
8/18/2006, 03:42 PM
Turn overs cost us the TCU, UCLA and Texas Tech games. Just don't throw picks or take big sacks and cough the ball up.

If he can avoid those, I think that he will turn into a pretty good QB.

we had no turnovers in the Tech game... its fairly obvious why we lost the Tech game.

jwlynn64
8/18/2006, 03:44 PM
Maybe my memory is going but I thought that AD lost a fumble near the goal line by trying to stretch the ball accross. If not, my bad.

soonerlaw
8/18/2006, 04:09 PM
Come in 2nd in the Heisman voting.... to AD.

goingoneight
8/19/2006, 01:36 AM
There's a 90,000 seat stadium resting in the valleys of southern California that's an American icon and a mecca of college football.

Vince Young's name is permanently carved into it's side.

Not the end.

You people need to realize that we aren't making fun of Hybl nor are we insulting him. You all say that Kejuan Jones was a joke and that is the exact same thing. Touchdowns and interceptions vary with how good of field position your D gives you. And the 2001-2002 D gave us some pretty easy walks to the endzone. To say that Nate is a damn fine QB, one must question the 'damn.' He got the jorb done for the most part, and doesn't take a load of crap like you all say he does.

In Hybls defense, he was just like ENA. Not much of an OL and tossed to the bench for "the star" for most of his career. He made the team-first decision to never let it get to him.

In the "neg Hybl" defense, given his okay at best stats with generally speaking EXCELLENT field position, he got the jorb done. He didn't show flashes of brilliance, and never did anything that lead us to believe he would win an MNC. The same reason people neg him is the same reason people said "Oh, Sh*t," when we started a QB with two bad knees in 2003. They expected better.

Point is, there shouldn't be any negative commentary since he didn't stink up the field and kept his head straight for all of his college days. If he lost games we shouldn't have lost, who hasn't? OUr 2003 team was miles ahead of the entire country that year and underperformed. It's called a brain fart, a mistake, a fluke... and unfortunately, it costs you titles in crunch time.

setem
8/19/2006, 02:23 AM
Come out and hit that long bomb that he missed in last years season opener!

Let the neg spek roll!

hawaii 5-0
8/19/2006, 02:58 AM
Keep mistakes to a minimum. Don't try to carry the team. Make them pay for keying on AD with some nice long runs.

:cool: 5-0

swardboy
8/19/2006, 07:15 AM
To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women...:D

Well spoken Conan!:)

Funky G
8/19/2006, 09:47 AM
1. Pay off my mortgage.
2. Deliver 2 hot pom pom girls to my room in Vegas on New Year's Eve.
3. Oh yeah, beat Texas and all the other bitches we play.

Readyfor8
8/19/2006, 02:32 PM
You people need to realize that we aren't making fun of Hybl nor are we insulting him. You all say that Kejuan Jones was a joke and that is the exact same thing. Touchdowns and interceptions vary with how good of field position your D gives you. And the 2001-2002 D gave us some pretty easy walks to the endzone. To say that Nate is a damn fine QB, one must question the 'damn.' He got the jorb done for the most part, and doesn't take a load of crap like you all say he does.

In Hybls defense, he was just like ENA. Not much of an OL and tossed to the bench for "the star" for most of his career. He made the team-first decision to never let it get to him.

In the "neg Hybl" defense, given his okay at best stats with generally speaking EXCELLENT field position, he got the jorb done. He didn't show flashes of brilliance, and never did anything that lead us to believe he would win an MNC. The same reason people neg him is the same reason people said "Oh, Sh*t," when we started a QB with two bad knees in 2003. They expected better.

Point is, there shouldn't be any negative commentary since he didn't stink up the field and kept his head straight for all of his college days. If he lost games we shouldn't have lost, who hasn't? OUr 2003 team was miles ahead of the entire country that year and underperformed. It's called a brain fart, a mistake, a fluke... and unfortunately, it costs you titles in crunch time.

Our 2004 Team Underperformed, our 2005 Team Underperformed too, and do you dog JW for that? Or pre Big Red do you dog the name of which we do not mention for that?

Glad to see you use Kejuan as an example, following Josh Heupel and being followed by Jason White isnt easy when all they did was win. Kejuan won alot of games too, and Kejuan was following Quentin Griffin and was overtaken by Adrian Petersen. You may not realize this but when you set the bar at Hybl by saying Paul Thompson has to play better than him to make you happy, you are setting that bar awefully high even though you see it as pathetically low.

Hybl could have started at virtually any college in the country including Georgia if he had stayed, and he started, bled, and broke his back for our Sooners. Forgive me for thinking that should earn him a little of your respect.

NDIrish
8/19/2006, 02:49 PM
Pretty much all he has to do is not fumble the ball when he hands it over to Adrian Peterson.

SOONER44EVER
8/19/2006, 06:06 PM
Our 2004 Team Underperformed, our 2005 Team Underperformed too, and do you dog JW for that? Or pre Big Red do you dog the name of which we do not mention for that?

Glad to see you use Kejuan as an example, following Josh Heupel and being followed by Jason White isnt easy when all they did was win. Kejuan won alot of games too, and Kejuan was following Quentin Griffin and was overtaken by Adrian Petersen. You may not realize this but when you set the bar at Hybl by saying Paul Thompson has to play better than him to make you happy, you are setting that bar awefully high even though you see it as pathetically low.

Hybl could have started at virtually any college in the country including Georgia if he had stayed, and he started, bled, and broke his back for our Sooners. Forgive me for thinking that should earn him a little of your respect.
Well said. I have as much respect for Nate as any other Sooner I've seen. He was dogged by the fans and media yet as far as I know has never said a bad word about OU. All he did was play his rear off, injured or not, and do what he was told by his coaches.

OUTrumpet
8/19/2006, 09:50 PM
I don't care if he doesn't complete a pass as long as we do a few things -

Don't turn the ball over
Score points
Win

If he does this, he could have a frickin circle jerk in the huddle for all I care.

olevetonahill
8/19/2006, 10:16 PM
I don't care if he doesn't complete a pass as long as we do a few things -

Don't turn the ball over
Score points
Win

If he does this, he could have a frickin circle jerk in the huddle for all I care.
He will do all that and Complete A lot of passes
Folks you have to realise I have crimson colored EYES :D

Desert Sapper
8/20/2006, 07:27 PM
He will do all that and Complete A lot of passes
Folks you have to realise I have crimson colored EYES :D

That's because you've been staring at a computer screen for too long.;)

Octavian
8/20/2006, 08:05 PM

You people?

I hadn't said anything about KJ....

"Fixing" Nate to VY in my post you quoted leads me to believe you thought I was typing figuratively.

I wasn't.

Above the main entrance into Rose Bowl Stadium is an engraved list of every outcome and MVP winner of every Rose Bowl Classic since God was a small child.

Nate Hybl's name is permantly engraved into the side of the Rose Bowl.

He's no Joe Montana, but he's the only guy to ever wear an Oklahoma uniform that can say that.

OUT.

goingoneight
8/21/2006, 09:58 PM

Forgive me for mentioning the exact phrase "I hate Nate." Note: I didn't. Note: He won a BCS bowl. Note: the last paragraph of my post on Nate. The post was a reference to why people rip on him, not my personal opinion.

goingoneight
8/21/2006, 10:06 PM
You people?

I hadn't said anything about KJ....

"Fixing" Nate to VY in my post you quoted leads me to believe you thought I was typing figuratively.

I wasn't.

Above the main entrance into Rose Bowl Stadium is an engraved list of every outcome and MVP winner of every Rose Bowl Classic since God was a small child.

Nate Hybl's name is permantly engraved into the side of the Rose Bowl.

He's no Joe Montana, but he's the only guy to ever wear an Oklahoma uniform that can say that.

OUT.

You people = generalization. Not necessarily everyone. Sorry.

I was typing figuratively... sorry again, not to insult. Some say VY only got lucky around here going 13-0 and then proceed to say say the Nate/Rose Bowl deal. Once again, not necessarily you, I understand.

I agree with the Joe Montana statement. Jason White, Nate Hybl and especially Rhett Bomar, even before the dismissal all made me roll my eyes and yell at the TV a few times before, but I never hated any of them. In fact, I respect them all moreso than I do a lot of sports "icons."

All I'm saying to everyone is I was trying to clarify the whole "neg Nate" situation as I understand it. It is the same thing as people who hate on Paul Thompson after less than two quarters of play under center last year.

SouthFortySooner
8/21/2006, 10:25 PM
"just do what you can do" :rolleyes: