PDA

View Full Version : Second Scrimmage

chbrew09
8/17/2006, 03:55 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=542987

sounds good from the little I read...but does anyone know anything else?

sooneron
8/17/2006, 04:31 PM
Gresham sure sounds like a beast.

Boomer.....
8/17/2006, 04:36 PM
Eschbach just said that ENA looked pretty good.

jk the sooner fan
8/17/2006, 04:37 PM
Gresham sure sounds like a beast.

time will tell, but 04, ScottD and jkm swear he's soft....

sooneron
8/17/2006, 04:40 PM
I don't doubt it, but maybe he was sandbagging a bit in HS.
For Bob to call attention to him repeatedly, seems to be saying that he also likes his work ethic.
Wait a minute! Isn't scottd in detroit???@?!?

and I've never believed a word out of 04's mouf.

NormanPride
8/17/2006, 05:25 PM

I agree with them, until such time as I see him block the ever living snot out of some LB. Last I heard, he caught some pass over the middle and drug about 7 guys with him a few extra yards. That sounds pretty tough...

sooner KB
8/17/2006, 06:13 PM
Are there any more scrimmages open to the public?

jk the sooner fan
8/17/2006, 06:22 PM
yes, the game against UAB

MiccoMacey
8/17/2006, 07:12 PM
Heh.

goingoneight
8/17/2006, 09:35 PM
yes, the game against UAB

I don't really know about that one yet. Depends on if the players obey Stoops or not.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/17/2006, 11:03 PM

norm, you owe me $5

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/18/2006, 01:47 AM
for the record, i had to go back and look and see where i said he was soft. i really didn't find that as most of my argument centered around the recruiting hype and how 04 was entitled to a differing opinion since he'd seen gresham play.

Readyfor8
8/18/2006, 01:50 AM
He's not any softer than any other freshman I have seen over the past few years.

setem
8/18/2006, 01:53 AM
What about the Big Red Rally?

jk the sooner fan
8/18/2006, 06:01 AM
for the record, i had to go back and look and see where i said he was soft. i really didn't find that as most of my argument centered around the recruiting hype and how 04 was entitled to a differing opinion since he'd seen gresham play.

mjcpr, you owe me $5

OU4LIFE
8/18/2006, 06:22 AM
both of you owe me a friggin break.

Blues1
8/18/2006, 06:46 AM
After 54 years of following "THE SOONERS" I gotta tell you I got "GOOD VIBES" about this 2006 team. - From what I'm hearing sounds like this team has a Great mental attiude and good work ethic......I'm not saying we will go undefeated, but I see at least a Major Bowl and a Top 15 finish, and with some Sooner Magic and IF everyone stays healthy -Look Out - ..!!!!

That is a couple Big IF's....? IF Everyone stays healthy *The Big One*...!

For some unknown reason...?? - I do think some of our toughest games "might" come from teams we least expect....JMHO

Or maybe I still have a tcu/tech hangover......:eek:

Still R'

Mjcpr
8/18/2006, 08:57 AM
mjcpr, you owe me $5

:D

Mjcpr
8/18/2006, 09:03 AM

Weren't you on the hands of stone bandwagon?

It all remains to be seen but I'm kind of for giving the kid a chance rather than saying he can't play before he ever signs his LOI.

jk the sooner fan
8/18/2006, 09:05 AM

It all remains to be seen but I'm kind of for giving the kid a chance rather than saying he can't play before he ever signs his LOI.

i can never keep straight which kids we can bash and which ones we cant

OU4LIFE
8/18/2006, 09:12 AM
IBHTTGL

OU4LIFE
8/18/2006, 09:12 AM
in before hoping this thread gets locked.

setem
8/18/2006, 09:22 AM
What about the Big Red Rally?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/18/2006, 09:45 AM

no i don't hate quentin chaney. i was pointing out what rivals used to determine the highest ranked kids and hands was pretty low down the list behind frame, speed and size. to me, they rank based on pro potential because that is what their measuring stick will be when it is all said and done.

as for hands, if our 2001 team told us anything, catching ability can sometimes have more to do with the QB than anything else.

in 04's defense, tearing his acl might have been gresham's wake up call. we'll have to wait about 9 months before jenny writes that article though.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/18/2006, 09:50 AM

that would be an interesting strategy to use in vegas - not gamble and then laugh at all the people who lost...

jk the sooner fan
8/18/2006, 09:54 AM
no i don't hate quentin chaney. i was pointing out what rivals used to determine the highest ranked kids and hands was pretty low down the list behind frame, speed and size. to me, they rank based on pro potential because that is what their measuring stick will be when it is all said and done.

as for hands, if our 2001 team told us anything, catching ability can sometimes have more to do with the QB than anything else.

in 04's defense, tearing his acl might have been gresham's wake up call. we'll have to wait about 9 months before jenny writes that article though.

i agree, only time will tell whether he's a recruiting bust, or he was an underachiever in high school, or any other one of the categories that hindsight provides us

i felt some of the bashing the kid took on the board was a little harsh....

there are lots who we never expect to do much who do everything, and the vice versa....

you just never know till the final chapter is written

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/18/2006, 10:02 AM
unfortunately, that is what the recruiting services want. 04 had an opinion and he was adamant about it. that was okay. other posters thought that he was the next keith jackson and that was okay as well. the problem is that those two opinions can't co-exist. the only bothersome issues for me were grades, which apparently resolved themselves, and work ethic. you don't recover from a torn ACL in less than 8 months without some modicum of work ethic.

i guess its been too long since 04 has been in college ;). sometimes the light comes on and the uber talented kid becomes a blue collar guy, sometimes not.

jk the sooner fan
8/18/2006, 10:06 AM
unfortunately, that is what the recruiting services want. 04 had an opinion and he was adamant about it. that was okay. other posters thought that he was the next keith jackson and that was okay as well. the problem is that those two opinions can't co-exist. the only bothersome issues for me were grades, which apparently resolved themselves, and work ethic. you don't recover from a torn ACL in less than 8 months without some modicum of work ethic.

i guess its been too long since 04 has been in college ;). sometimes the light comes on and the uber talented kid becomes a blue collar guy, sometimes not.

excellent points - its possible he's one of those kids that just didnt feel challenged by the daily grind that is ardmore high school.....i think kids who are so far above (talent level) than all their peers, get really bored.....he also may not have known quite how to handle all the crap that goes along with being chased by every team in the country

gresham really hasnt done anything other than turn some heads in camp...lets hope he's not a practice field warrior only!

OU4LIFE
8/18/2006, 10:50 AM
Gresham may very well be a practice field warrior this year. Lord knows he woudln't be the first, and sometimes it takes a year or two to play like you practice.

MiccoMacey
8/18/2006, 11:03 AM
excellent points - its possible he's one of those kids that just didnt feel challenged by the daily grind that is ardmore high school.....

How dare you besmirch the quality educational institution that is Ardmore "The Best More" High School? :)

NormanPride
8/18/2006, 11:04 AM
I'll admit I was hard on the kid, but I don't think I ever said he was crap... I'm just never high on the kids that don't want to work. jkm said it, though, anyone that comes back from an acl tear in that amount of time has got guts.

JohnnyMack
8/18/2006, 11:18 AM
I remember when Chaney was coming out of BTW I saw him play on more than one occassion and even then I could tell you he was soft. Sometimes you can just tell. If someone saw Gresham play and thought he was soft, there had to be some rationale behind it. I would assume. Around here, assuming things is prolly pretty dumb tho.

setem
8/18/2006, 11:21 AM
What about the Big Red Rally!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/18/2006, 11:42 AM
I remember when Chaney was coming out of BTW I saw him play on more than one occassion and even then I could tell you he was soft. Sometimes you can just tell. If someone saw Gresham play and thought he was soft, there had to be some rationale behind it. I would assume. Around here, assuming things is prolly pretty dumb tho.

chaney was a little different though. there was some serious bad blood between OU and BTW because of the way we used works and the meachem saga. every year, we take 1-2 shots in the dark on some calculated risks (mark clayton, gute, fred fleeks, antonn reid, iglesias). his offer (and the one to the kid that flunked out of tulsa) seemed to be one of that nature that served also as a peace pipe.

if both gresham and mccoy end up being pretty good players they are going against a 10+ year oklahoma trend with respect to the highest rated DL and highest rated TE.

jk the sooner fan
8/18/2006, 11:57 AM
isnt there something to be said, - just from a recruiting standpoint - to get the best players in state, no matter how they turn out? i think the risk of continually losing the best players in state to an out of state school is a bad one to take - so you go after those kids regardless of any baggage they may have

maybe i'm wrong on that - dunno

i've not read much about mccoy since fall practices started - plenty of chatter about gresham - has anybody seen anything about mccoy?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/18/2006, 12:13 PM
who knows. my strategy would be to grab your character players from in state as well as the talented ones - guys who have grown up dying to play for OU and are going to bust their butts and make sure everyone else does as well.

you have to manage it better than you did during the switzer days (he had 105 scholarships, we have 85), but i don't think its unreasonable to have 8-10 of those character guys on campus at any one time.

Stanley1
8/18/2006, 12:13 PM

I'm assuming 04 and jkm have seen the kid play, has ScottyD? :confused:

JohnnyMack
8/18/2006, 12:26 PM
I recruited Stan to be on my team.

But he went Maurice Clarrett and melted down on me.

Sad really.

Stanley1
8/18/2006, 01:05 PM
I recruited Stan to be on my team.

But he went Maurice Clarrett and melted down on me.

Sad really.

At least I don't owe any Israeli's a butt load of money. :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/18/2006, 05:31 PM
I'm assuming 04 and jkm have seen the kid play, has ScottyD? :confused:

neither i nor scottd has seen anything other than his highlight film. 04 watched EVERY game he played. this was a debate between an lsu fan and a bunch of new recruitniks. scott d was pointing out that high school behavior was hard to break in high school and i was pointing out that recruiting services are skewed. neither of which are ground breaking thoughts...

fossil
8/19/2006, 01:58 PM
What about the Big Red Rally!
Somebody please, please answer setem before he makes me absolutely bonkers.

1991SOONER
8/19/2006, 02:25 PM
I am getting really excited about this season, I'll bet OU is really going to surprise alot of people...