PDA

View Full Version : Calling anybody with a drumset

tbl
8/17/2006, 03:35 PM
If you're like me and don't have anybody to jam with, I have a somewhat suitable replacement. You may have already figured this out, but I thought I'd share regardless. Even if you do jam with people, this is something you can do any time by yourself.

As you probably know from trying, it's pretty much impossible to play along with a song on CD (or Ipod as I use) with any regular headphones b/c the loudness of the drums swallows up anything you might be able to hear, drowning out the music and throwing your tempo off. In order to remedy that, use some in ear headphones (the kind that wrap around the outside work the best b/c they don't fall out), and then put on some gun shooting headphones over the in ear headphones. When you play the songs now, you can hear your drums just enough in the background to hear what you're doing (aside from obviously feeling what you're doing), but the song is still crystal clear and it really feels like jamming with the band.

I put my Ipod on my Rock playlist, hit shuffle, and I'm all over the place playing different songs. Today over lunch I got to jam with Zep, Nirvana, Beatles, Audioslave, Pixies, Radiohead, Pavement, and Little Richard.

It helps develop some fills and beats that you might not play on your own. Playing with guys like Soundgarden and Jimi definitely keeps you on your toes.

It's also helpful if you're a guitar player/songwriter b/c you can lay down tracks on the guitar (just make sure you're playing with a steady rhythm) and then figure out drum lines to go along with it.

crawfish
8/17/2006, 03:39 PM
I've just go the seat, and I just use it to have sex on.

I'm not interested in that kind of jam.

tbl
8/17/2006, 03:55 PM
What the mess?!?!?

Howzit
8/17/2006, 04:22 PM
I've just go the seat, and I just use it to have sex on.

You forgot the "by mself" part.

tbl
8/17/2006, 04:24 PM
I at least pointed that out in my post... ;)

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2006, 04:28 PM
or make some friends.

your welcome.

;)

GottaHavePride
8/17/2006, 04:54 PM
This thread makes critical_phil sad.

OUinFLA
8/17/2006, 05:23 PM
I used to have a drumset.
but Ipod's hadn't been invented yet.
Heck, the internet hadnt been invented yet.
Al Gore had been invented, but nobody cared.

sooneron
8/17/2006, 05:27 PM
This is a job for starclassic tama

tbl
8/17/2006, 06:24 PM
or make some friends.

your welcome.

;)
MUCH easier said than done. It's hard to find people that
a. like to play music
b. have no aspirations of "making it"
c. have the same musical tastes
d. can be close friends with other common interests
Frankly, that's REALLY hard to do and only comes once in a blue moon. There's a reason a lot of the successful bands were friends first, then took up music.

My best friend back in Texas plays drums, so we'd pull off a little White Stripes action (me on guitar, him drumming), but it was very hard to find songs we could agree to play. Our musical tastes were not too close, and I'm not a big fan of his style of drumming (more Primus-ish than I could handle). We'd pretty much stick with songs from the Cult-Electric, b/c we both really like that album.

Back to my fortress of solitude... ;)