PDA

View Full Version : Walkoffsooner's location

1stTimeCaller
8/17/2006, 01:12 PM
Made me remember when I was a kid I always thought my dad was joking when he'd tell me that it wasn't thunder we were hearing that it was howitzers from Ft. Sill.

On sunny days when the wind was out of the South you could in fact hear the 8" rounds (or perhaps 105mm or 155mm) impacting at Fort Sill from my backyard in Chickasha.

I always thought that was cool.

Mjcpr
8/17/2006, 01:50 PM
Clearly, you're the only one.

IB4OU2
8/17/2006, 01:58 PM
Weird, I used to hear the same thing when I was hiking in the Wichitas.

Widescreen
8/17/2006, 02:02 PM
Made me remember when I was a kid I always thought my dad was joking when he'd tell me that it wasn't thunder we were hearing that it was howitzers from Ft. Sill.
Your dad knew thunder?

jk the sooner fan
8/17/2006, 02:02 PM
no, actually he's not

i spent 3.5 years there, the first nite in our apartment they were firing the 8inch howitzers - a night fire - i thought the apartment was coming off the foundation....

it got to the point where i could tell the difference between the guns that were being fired just by the sound

1stTimeCaller
8/17/2006, 02:04 PM
no, actually he's not

I'm a terrible author.

At first I thought he was joking but then as soon as I realized that there were no clouds in the sky I knew he was serious.

LoyalFan
8/17/2006, 02:27 PM
Clearly, you're the only one.

Au contraire, mon frere! I love the sound of "outgoing" in the morning. Sounds like *Victory!

LoyalFan
Born: Ft. Sill
Dad: Artillery officer
Chose to be commissioned in Armor so's I could see what I was a-shootin' at.
(Forgot they could see me too!)

*Smashing the enemy's toys, fortifications, and their very bodies into bite-size bits. Mmmmmmmmm...bite size!

frankensooner
8/17/2006, 02:29 PM
Heh, I will never forget my first few weeks in Lawton. I was a bit jumpy.

walkoffsooner
8/17/2006, 02:31 PM
Last night it was flare practice. They can sure light up the sky.

jk the sooner fan
8/17/2006, 02:38 PM
jk3 was born at the hospital on fort sill

1stTimeCaller
8/17/2006, 02:45 PM
jk3 was born at the hospital on fort sill

Go Reynolds, get your birf on, Go Reynolds, Go Reynolds!!

LoyalFan
8/17/2006, 02:48 PM
Last night it was flare practice. They can sure light up the sky.

And the Fire Direction Center sayeth unto the Battery Commander...
"Fire mission! Let there be light!"
And the Battery Commander uttereth a "Wilco, Out" and sayeth unto his gun crews, "Load 'Lume...Fire a battery six when all tubes ready."
This they did, in good time, and the firmament was lit brighter than a thousand suns, revealing the skulking foe to infantrymen and tank commanders alike. Then did they rain death and destruction upon the enemy.
And the Battery Commander did pop a warm Black Label which he quaffed in joyous celebration as he listened to the distant rattle of musketry, the chatter of machine guns, and deafening sharp crack of the Iron Horse crewmens' lethal weaponry.
But there was no joy in the enemy camp, only tomb-like silence.
Amen.

LF
Tanker Emeritus