PDA

View Full Version : Country star charged with killing tame bear

BudSooner
8/17/2006, 11:37 AM
Country singer Troy Lee Gentry appeared today in federal court in connection with the killing of a tame black bear that federal officials say he bought, shot in an enclosed pen, tagged as if the animal had been killed in the wild, then arranged for the doctoring of a videotape of the alleged "wild" kill.
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/15281014.htm

WTF?? What a ****ing dumbass.

OU4LIFE
8/17/2006, 11:47 AM
this explains why Dean won't be needing the RV for elk this year......

BigRedJed
8/17/2006, 11:53 AM
I think it was a PR stunt to throw his detractors off the scent. "Hey, he hunts! See, I told you he wasn't gay!"

http://www.twincities.com/images/twincities/twincities/15281/233510197761.jpg

Beef
8/17/2006, 11:57 AM
I think it was a PR stunt to throw his detractors off the scent. "Hey, he hunts! See, I told you he wasn't gay!"

Maybe he's just a bear****er.

Kim Jong il
8/17/2006, 12:02 PM
Witnesses stated that they heard him yell
"It's Coming Right For Us"...

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/sooneremt/jimbo.gif

BudSooner
8/17/2006, 12:08 PM
Heh, just found this joke-

Gentry's all excited about his new rifle. So, he goes bear hunting in Alaska. The first bear he sees is a little brown bear, and he kills it with his first shot. There is a tap on his shoulder, and he turns around to see a big black bear. The black bear says, "You've got two choices. One, I maul you to death or two, we have sex." Gentry bends over for the bear. He's sore for 2 days, but he recovers and vows revenge.

Gentry heads out on another trip to Alaska and he finds the black bear and kills him. At that moment there is a tap on his shoulder. A huge grizzly is standing right behind him. The grizzly says, "That was a big mistake. You've got 2 choices, "Either I maul you to death or we have sex."

Gentry bends over. He survives, but he's really hurting and takes quite a bit of time to recover, and, he's outraged!

Sure enough, he heads back to Alaska and finds the grizzly and shoots him at point blank range. There's a tap on his shoulder. He turns around to find an enormous polar bear, and the polar bear says, "You don't really come here for the hunting, do you?"

1stTimeCaller
8/17/2006, 12:24 PM
the bear had a name.

I have hated you as a pseudo musician and now I hate you a a pseudo human.

achiro
8/17/2006, 12:34 PM
Before this gets to out of control please wait to find out what really happened. Did the "guide" mislead him into some things here or not? Understand that what they are calling a "pen" could have been a large high fence enclosure(some in Texas are as large as 25000 acres or more) and is perfectly legal in most states.

If it happened as he is charged I agree that he really screwed up but things are rarely as they seem.

and yes, I know Troy, even been to his house in Nashville. This whole thing has surprised the heck out of me.

walkoffsooner
8/17/2006, 12:40 PM
The high fence hunting areas you speak of have video cameras ect. Its still just going out and killing a trophy. Not even close to hunting. Been there done that. Took couple of years to get over shame.

1stTimeCaller
11/28/2006, 08:57 AM
Pleads guilty...
http://www.comcast.net/music/index.jsp?cat=MUSIC&fn=/2006/11/27/529299.html&cvqh=itn_gentry

Minn. - Troy Lee Gentry pleaded guilty Monday to a misdemeanor charge of falsely registering a captive bear as being killed in the wild.

Under the plea, the 39-year-old country singer agreed to pay a $15,000 fine, give up hunting, fishing and trapping in Minnesota for five years, and forfeit both the bear's hide and the bow he used to shoot the animal in 2004.

The plea meant Gentry avoided a trial, which had been scheduled to start Monday.

Gentry, of Franklin, Tenn., declined to comment to the Star Tribune of Minneapolis as he left the courthouse.

Ron Meshbesher, his attorney, said Gentry pleaded guilty to "a simple charge having to do with improper tagging (of a game animal), and that's all it ever was."

Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, Gentry's local hunting guide, pleaded guilty at the same hearing to two felony charges of helping other hunters shoot bears at illegal baiting stations he maintained inside a national wildlife refuge near Sandstone in east-central Minnesota.

Greenly faces a maximum prison sentence of five years for each count, forfeiture of all-terrain vehicles he and employees used to reach the bait stations, and a maximum fine of $400,000.

Gentry told the court he bought the bear from Greenly with the understanding they would videotape a hunt inside the bear's enclosure, which was surrounded by an electric fence.

"Lee and I made a deal about harvesting this bear," Gentry testified. They also agreed to report it was killed in the wild 6 miles east of Sandstone instead of on Greenly's property south of the town.

U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson ordered a pre-sentence investigation for both Gentry and Greenly and told them to appear for sentencing at a date to be announced later, or risk an additional charge.

In exchange for Gentry's plea, federal prosecutors dropped a felony charge of violating the Lacey Act, which authorities said bans possessing or transporting illegally obtained wildlife.

I'm gonna call bull****. That Judge and DA should be ashamed of themselves for letting him off so lightly.

MamaMia
11/28/2006, 11:59 AM
I hope they throw the book at them, which in my opinion isn't near heavy enough.

picasso
11/28/2006, 12:16 PM
Maybe he's just a bear****er.
do you need assistance!

william_brasky
11/28/2006, 12:57 PM
there's an actual "misdemeanor charge of falsely registering a captive bear as being killed in the wild"?

Tear Down This Wall
11/28/2006, 01:00 PM
I can hardly believe that as*sfag is called a "country" singer. He looks like a pecker-chasing Backstreet Boy.

Country music is ruined, I tell you. It's just ruined by the idiots. Damn you, CMTV! Damn you to hell!

KC//CRIMSON
11/28/2006, 01:07 PM

So when does Kenny Chesney harpoon a defenseless whale?:D

BigRedJed
11/28/2006, 01:44 PM
So when does Kenny Chesney harpoon a defenseless whale?:D
I know we've all heard the rumors, but are you insinuating that he's also a chubby chaser?

sanantoniosooner
11/28/2006, 02:15 PM
Before this gets to out of control please wait to find out what really happened. Did the "guide" mislead him into some things here or not? Understand that what they are calling a "pen" could have been a large high fence enclosure(some in Texas are as large as 25000 acres or more) and is perfectly legal in most states.

If it happened as he is charged I agree that he really screwed up but things are rarely as they seem.

and yes, I know Troy, even been to his house in Nashville. This whole thing has surprised the heck out of me.
You're saying you want a different camera angle before you believe he was charged rightfully?:D

Are you recycling posts?;)

Jerk
11/28/2006, 02:31 PM
Nevermind, this was dumb. You need to look ahead at Bri's post because it is fkn funny.

bri
11/28/2006, 03:03 PM
Country star charged with killing tame bear

Hell, they could charge us with the same thing every time we play Baylor.

achiro
11/28/2006, 03:12 PM
You're saying you want a different camera angle before you believe he was charged rightfully?:D

Are you recycling posts?;)
Nope, sounds like he knew it was a pen raised animal. I suppose whether or not that is right or wrong is a personal decision depending on the local laws. He really screwed up when he lied about where he shot it. I'm betting that he thought it would look "better" to the public watching the video if it were shot in the wild. He really screwed up on that. As far as needing more punishment, well he tagged a tame animal as wild, not sure why that would need more punishment. I'm pretty sure that canned hunts are legal there so tagging it wrong is where he screwed up(from a legal standpoint)

bri
11/28/2006, 03:13 PM
Hey, it's not like he shot anyone in the face during his pen hunt.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/28/2006, 03:39 PM
To be fair....anytime a bear dies an angel gets it wings. It isn't like he shot a God Loving Little Kitten....He shot the most murderous of beasts....The God-less Killing Machine :( "The Bear" :(

1stTimeCaller
11/28/2006, 04:11 PM
in the original story that you can't pull up it says that the bear had a name.

the bear had a name and I assume would probably do tricks in the same manner that my dog does tricks.

achiro, sorry about your buddy but he's a ********* of the highest order.

achiro
11/28/2006, 04:20 PM
in the original story that you can't pull up it says that the bear had a name.

the bear had a name and I assume would probably do tricks in the same manner that my dog does tricks.

achiro, sorry about your buddy but he's a ********* of the highest order.
Personally, I am not in favor of most canned hunts. I have no idea if Troy knew the bear had a name or not. I do think that the person that named that bear and sold it to be killed is probably the bigger *********. Then again, I've eaten a few steaks that had names when they lived in the pasture. "Bo-vine" had particularly tasty marbleing. ;)

C&CDean
11/28/2006, 04:23 PM
Those that know me know how I feel about "hunting" captive animals. For those that don't, here goes:

If you're the cowardly little POS who feels the need to "trophy hunt" animals that are penned inside a fence (and I don't give a **** how big the pen is, it's still a pen) I sincerely hope that someone in your "hunting" party accidently discharges his .300 WSM into your pathetic bowels. "Hunting" captive animals is the highest form of disgrace a "hunter" can achieve.

Hell, I don't even like it when people use guides. If you're man enough to hunt, how about doing it then? Public land. Mano y animal. Paying some guy a bunch of $$ to lead you to animals he's been baiting all year, and then calling in a large game animal for you to shoot with your $2,500 rifle while wearing your Daktari khaki cammo you bought up at the LL Bean, and then cleaning it for you, and then packing it out for you is above hunting caged animals - but not by much.

And for the record, I've never heard of this fag.

1stTimeCaller
11/28/2006, 04:26 PM
Those that know me know how I feel about "hunting" captive animals. For those that don't, here goes:

If you're the cowardly little POS who feels the need to "trophy hunt" animals that are penned inside a fence (and I don't give a **** how big the pen is, it's still a pen) I sincerely hope that someone in your "hunting" party accidently discharges his .300 WSM into your pathetic bowels. "Hunting" captive animals is the highest form of disgrace a "hunter" can achieve.

Hell, I don't even like it when people use guides. If you're man enough to hunt, how about doing it then? Public land. Mano y animal. Paying some guy a bunch of $$ to lead you to animals he's been baiting all year, and then calling in a large game animal for you to shoot with your $2,500 rifle while wearing your Daktari khaki cammo you bought up at the LL Bean, and then cleaning it for you, and then packing it out for you is above hunting caged animals - but not by much.

And for the record, I've never heard of this fag.

Dean might be queer as a three dollar bill but I agree with him 100% on this.

Jerk
11/28/2006, 04:32 PM
I sincerely hope that someone in your "hunting" party accidently discharges his .300 WSM into your pathetic bowels.

Real queers use .700 NITRO EXRESS

TheHumanAlphabet
11/28/2006, 04:33 PM
For the life of me, what was this gay, err, guy thinking?

"Lets see, my manhood has been besmurched, so I'll go shoot me a bahr to fix everything, but I don't want to go in the wild and shoot me a bahr, I may get skeeters and all. I know, I'll buy somebodies pet bahr, release it into a really big compound and shoot it with my bow. Then, I'll have keeled me a bahr and I'll get my manhood back..."

Jerk
11/28/2006, 04:58 PM
I messed that up.

Let me try again.

REAL MEN use only .700 NITRO EXPRESS for hunting.

Anything less is for queers.