PDA

View Full Version : 66 oz. hamburger, three pounds of fries and a 32 oz. milk shake

SapulpaSooner
8/16/2006, 10:07 PM
http://www.sapulpadailyherald.com/homepage/images_sizedimage_228121452/xl

By JAMI MATTOX
Herald Managing Editor

Slow and steady wins the race.

Unfortunately for Tulsa resident Dr. Paul Reagan, this motto did not help him consume a 66 oz. hamburger, three pounds of fries and a 32 oz. milk shake in 66 minutes at Al’s Route 66 Cafe Tuesday evening.

Reagan was the first person to attempt to eat the entire “Big Daddy” meal at Al’s since the restaurant opened in April.

Had he accomplished the feat, the entire $35 meal would have been free of charge. He would have also been awarded a tee shirt and a free dinner for two.

Reagan traveled to Sapulpa along with over 30 of his friends from Asbury United Methodist Church’s Joy Class in Tulsa.

“Each Tuesday we go to a different restaurant to eat,” said Reagan’s friend and classmate Kerry Freeman.

Freeman said he and his wife stumbled upon Al’s while searching for a bite to eat when they attended Steve Hamm’s Jambalaya Jass Band concert at Martha’s Corner in July.

“We stopped here for a hamburger, and I saw a deal about the ‘Big Daddy,’” Freeman said. “And I decided my good friend Paul could do it.”

He explained the details to Reagan soon thereafter, and, to Freeman’s surprise, Reagan agreed to take on the challenge.

“He’s just nutty like that,” Freeman said.

Reagan said he had not done any special training for the challenge.

“I had my regular breakfast this morning,” said the retired family physician and geriatrician. “Then I had some fruit for lunch.”

Reagan said, ironically, he had been in a meeting to discuss senior nutrition earlier Tuesday afternoon.

Reagan was cool as a cucumber before the monstrous burger hit his plate.

“The secret is to take my time,” he said. “I have over an hour to do this.

“It’s probably impossible for me to eat it all,” he admitted. “But it’s entirely possible for me to enjoy it.

“The ambience of eating is much more important than the food itself,” Reagan concluded.

And with that, he dug in.

With a fork and knife, he methodically sawed away at over four pounds of meat, stopping occasionally to pop a fry into his mouth.

And at 6:21 p.m., 66 minutes after he began, Reagan stopped. He had eaten over three-quarters of the burger.

“It was a good show,” said Reagen’s wife SuElla.

“I think I’ll start a diet tomorrow,” Reagan added.

afs
8/16/2006, 10:09 PM
that's going straight to his a**

pb4ou
8/16/2006, 10:19 PM
wow

SoonerInKCMO
8/16/2006, 10:21 PM
That's a lotta food. I've had a 2 lb. burger with fries, salad and a drink before... don't think I could come close to finishing a 66 ouncer.

olevetonahill
8/16/2006, 10:44 PM
No way on Gods Crimson earth :eek:

GottaHavePride
8/16/2006, 10:48 PM
Dude, that's gonna be some kind of unholy fermented dump when it comes out the other end.

8/16/2006, 11:09 PM
You know, that probably wouldn't be a bad lunch deal for five hungry people.

Pricetag
8/16/2006, 11:32 PM
Dude, that's gonna be some kind of unholy fermented dump when it comes out the other end.
That's always the first thing to come to mind when I see these huge eating feats. Sure, you got it down, but it's going to have to leave at some point.

Okla-homey
8/17/2006, 05:18 AM
He's dressed wrong for it too. You can't do no serious grindage in polyester "Sansabelt" slacks and a flippin' Pawpaw sports shirt. You gotta be wearing something loose and airy.

OU4LIFE
8/17/2006, 05:58 AM
it also doesn't hurt to have another Dr. with you to perform the triple bypass you are gonna need.

VeeJay
8/17/2006, 06:06 AM
Reminds me of those hot dog eating contest guys on ESPN. A couple of weeks ago, I was at a late lunch and the joint I was in had the contest on TV. I couldn't hardly finish my lunch, watching those slobs down those 'dogs.

They get in this funky body rhythm, sort of bobbing or moving around while shovelling it in - I guess that keeps the adrenaline up, or maybe helps get the digestive enzymes going. At any rate, I'm surprised there haven't been deaths associated with that.

crawfish
8/17/2006, 09:35 AM
I bet they could've got free hats if they got a dessert down him.

BoogercountySooner
8/17/2006, 10:00 AM
Reminds me of Big Ed's Hamburgers from back in the Day!

Fish
8/17/2006, 11:21 AM
Next Tulsa get together??? Homey could take on me, Bri, Pic, and Matt!

OklahomaTuba
8/17/2006, 11:28 AM
Just ask for the Robert Allen Value Meal!

BudSooner
8/17/2006, 11:47 AM
Just ask for the Robert Allen Value Meal!

Mangino would want that monster super sized.:eek:

toast
8/17/2006, 01:00 PM
dude, I would have to order two of those.

KC//CRIMSON
8/17/2006, 01:04 PM
Meh. Takeru Kobayashi would down that in five minutes.

Soonrboy
8/17/2006, 01:06 PM
at least it doesn't come with a diet coke.