PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to re-key a lock?

OUDoc
8/16/2006, 09:16 PM
More specifically, if I install deadbolt for the door from the garage to the house, do I necessarily need a locksmith to key it to the other keys in the house, or could I do it? Probably, if I need a locksmith, I'll just keep it as a separate key. I'm thinking of buying this (http://www.kwikset.com/Products/default.aspx/Details/Powerbolt1000/default.aspx) anyway, mostly so the kids can get in and out, and so the kids can't lock me out while I'm in the garage.
Any thoughts?

Tiptonsooner
8/16/2006, 09:20 PM
You can do it, but the price of the tumbler kit would make it unreasonable. You buy tumblers in an assortment and it's kind of trial and error fitting them in the mechanism.

OUDoc
8/16/2006, 09:22 PM
You can do it, but the price of the tumbler kit would make it unreasonable. You buy tumblers in an assortment and it's kind of trial and error fitting them in the mechanism.
Ah-ha. Thanks.

Okla-homey
8/16/2006, 09:26 PM
Doncha think that if Bill McBurglar has figgered out how to get into your locked garage he can figger out a way to get past some cheesy cypher-lock biz on the door to the house?

Get a dog man. get a dog. With sharp teef...preferably one that doesn't bark before he chomps.;)

OCUDad
8/16/2006, 09:29 PM
You should tell all of us the combination so we can help you get back in your house some night when you come home from Drunkytown. :D

Norm In Norman
8/16/2006, 09:30 PM
Well, one time we lived in a rental house and the landlord had to replace the door lock in the garage. He keyed it the same as the others by himself. I don't know what he did though.

I was going to change all of the door handles in my house, but after going to home depot and pricing what I wanted I discovered that what I really want is for the handles to fall off before I have to replace them. I figured I was looking at $40 to replace 3 locks and handles. Nuh-uh.

Norm In Norman
8/16/2006, 09:39 PM
http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=19614

Norm In Norman
8/16/2006, 09:44 PM
http://home.howstuffworks.com/lock-picking.htm

ChickSoonerFan
8/16/2006, 09:44 PM
That looks like a lot of work! When I moved into my house there was no key to the front door. I took the whole handle/lock down the street. The house was built in 1928 and it had the original door and lock set. It was a bit of a pain to get it keyed but I don't remember it costing very much.

Okla-homey
8/17/2006, 05:23 AM
That looks like a lot of work! When I moved into my house there was no key to the front door. I took the whole handle/lock down the street. The house was built in 1928 and it had the original door and lock set. It was a bit of a pain to get it keyed but I don't remember it costing very much.

They don't charge much to re-key if you're hawt...'speshully cuz now the re-keyer guy has access to your boudoir in order to replace the tapes in the videocam he installed in the attic while you were at work.

I'd keep an eye on the innerweb for any Paris Hilton-type videos starring you.:D

sanantoniosooner
8/17/2006, 07:03 AM
Kwikset is the easiest lockset to rekey in the world.

They even have a reasonably cheap kit for doing so. I've rekeyed dozens. Even piddled around and master keyed them fancy-like.

OUDoc
8/17/2006, 07:45 AM
Cool. Thanks, guys. Thanks for the links, Norm. I googled and couldn't find them anywhere.

SOONER44EVER
8/17/2006, 08:38 AM
Cool. Thanks, guys. Thanks for the links, Norm. I googled and couldn't find them anywhere.
Take the lock to Tech-Lock on 16th and Broadway. They'll re-key it for about $7. I've been using them for years. It usually takes just a few minutes.

BigRedJed
8/17/2006, 10:04 AM
You have to have a kit to re-key. When I was in school I did it for a living. I worked for a company that sold super high-end door, cabinet and plumbing hardware for custom homes, and also commercial hardware for large projects like Baptist Hospital, Mid-First Bank headquarters, etc. Frankly, re-keying is really easy, unless you're getting into multiple levels of masterkeying (say, for a commercial hospital campus that needs a door keyed so that 5 different levels of access are available), which takes some pretty complex math.

But save yourself the trouble of buying a kit and teaching yourself how to re-key. Take 4EVER's advice and take it to Tech-Lock on Broadway. That's what I do, and I have to have locks rey-keyed often. I could do it myself, but why?

OUDoc
8/17/2006, 10:29 AM
So, I could take the new lock and my house key and they could re-key it?

Norm In Norman
8/17/2006, 10:49 AM
Do it yourself, you lazy bum! How can you learn something new if you don't do it yourself? Just think of the satisfaction you will receive when someone else asks this question to you and you say "Oh yeah, I've done that. It's EASY."

BigRedJed
8/17/2006, 10:56 AM
Provided the new lock uses the same keyway as your existing locks. Are your other locks Kwikset? If so, then more than likely yes. I think all Kwiksets use the same keyway. Schlage has multiple keyways, and its keyways are also often utilized by other brands. For instance, a Schlage "C" keyway is commonly used in Baldwin, Jado and other brands. That way you can have multiple brands using the same key. But if the locks in your house are currently Kwikset, you should be good to go on the lock you provided a link to.

OUDoc
8/17/2006, 10:59 AM
Do it yourself, you lazy bum! How can you learn something new if you don't do it yourself? Just think of the satisfaction you will receive when someone else asks this question to you and you say "Oh yeah, I've done that. It's EASY."
That's how I learned Cox telephone used 90 volts. Lesson learned.

BigRedJed
8/17/2006, 11:01 AM
Oh, and ignore Norm. While it's cool to be able to say "I've done that. It's EASY," I prefer to do it on things that are actually expensive to do, like toilet or water heater installation. Faucet repair. Putting in new light fixtures. Installing fence panels.

Don't go all weekend warrior on an $8 lock re-keying. You'll spend a lot more than that just buying a key kit, which you'll probably use one or two more times in your lifetime.

Oops -- I mean, you'll probably use it one or more times in your lifetime... ...if every key you need to rey-key in the future is the same brand as the kit you invested in.

SOONER44EVER
8/17/2006, 05:31 PM
Yep. I have about 40 locks that 1 key fits. If you use all the same brand of locks (I use kwikset) they can each have a different key but 1 master key.

olevetonahill
8/17/2006, 07:44 PM
That's how I learned Cox telephone used 90 volts. Lesson learned.
Ouch , But did you put a lock on that O/S box ?

OUDoc
8/17/2006, 08:49 PM
Ouch , But did you put a lock on that O/S box ?
No, still haven't. Hopefully my 85 pound Lab will keep any calls to a minimum.;)