PDA

View Full Version : What would John Harts think about OU football now?

stoopified
8/16/2006, 03:37 PM
Personally I think he would be dumbfounded at how far the football program has come in the last 111 years.I'm certain that in 1895 when got a bunch of guys together in Norman and taught them the rdiments of this game called foot ball he had no idea what he had started.The one game they played that year against Oklahoma city High certainly gave no indication as they lost 34-0.

John Harts left school after that year ad did not coach when OU played Norman High twice in 1896 winning 12-0 and 16-4.Since John disappeared into complete obscurity after his brief coaching stint all we can do is speculate.Personally I would like to think he DID see what Bennie Owen accomplished from 1905-1926.Personally I would like to think so after all Harts would likelyin his fifties during this period.In fact I can even picture an afging Harts in anursing home in his 80's telling the nurses I STARTED THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM AT OKLAHOMA THAT THAT WILKINSON FELLA JUST WON 47 STRAIGHT GAMES WITH.To which the nurse replys SURE YOU DID MR.HARTS., NOW EAT YOUR DINNER.

Whatever hapened to John Harts and whether or not he actually did witness the rise to national prominence is anybodys guess.Whatever the case I think he would be very proud of THE SOONERS OF OKLAHOMA and has every right to be.It could be argued that if he had not decided to teach this game to friends in 1895 OU football might never have been born.If nothing else it gives us something to think about as we count down the last weeks,days,hours and minutes before kickoff.

TheGodfather889
8/16/2006, 03:53 PM
Jack Harts would be amazed at what he started at the University of Oklahoma. He made up the football team just to have some fun. But what he didn't know was that team would go on to have one of the richest traditions in the history of college football.