PDA

View Full Version : Hey wine people

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/16/2006, 02:18 PM
When my wife was born, her dad bought a case of this:
http://www.winemenu.net/Detail.asp?Product=8961

There's one surviving bottle and I'm afraid it might be getting too old.

We ate one of these on her 30th birthday and the wine guy at the restaurant strained it on account of crap on the bottom of the bottle.

What's the best way to decant this old bottle of wine? Anyone got any experience?

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/16/2006, 02:25 PM
I drank almost a whole bottle of a Gallo Chardonnay last night and fell asleep before dark.

Din't have no crud in the bottom, though.

I hope this helps.

jk the sooner fan
8/16/2006, 02:27 PM
BV Napa Valley - thats a nice bottle of vino there

how to decant it? ummm, well not to sound overly obvious here, but any good decanter will work......let it breathe for 30 minutes and serve!

Mjcpr
8/16/2006, 02:30 PM
I drank almost a whole bottle of a Gallo Chardonnay last night and fell asleep before dark.

Din't have no crud in the bottom, though.

I hope this helps.

Nothing like tying one on on a Tuesday night, eh Booty?

How was the picnic table? :D

TexasLidig8r
8/16/2006, 02:43 PM
Recommend using the two prong opener so you don't destroy the cork...

http://us.a1c.yahoofs.com/shopping/mcid12_14527/simg_t_t21804ljpg85?rm_____DhyNd5Oe7

Then, get a funnel and strainer like so...

http://www.josephgrace.net/Images/MedRes/16330.jpg

into a simple decanter.

Let breathe for about 20 - 30 minutes.. enjoy...

A bit unorthodox as well.. but, you may wish to refrigerate for about 15 minutes. Many people store cabs at room temperature which is a bit too warm for my tastes.

Need help drinking it? :D

1stTimeCaller
8/16/2006, 02:43 PM

I knew that I recgonized her from somewhere other than here :D

GottaHavePride
8/16/2006, 02:49 PM
A bit unorthodox as well.. but, you may wish to refrigerate for about 15 minutes. Many people store cabs at room temperature which is a bit too warm for my tastes.

Yeah, the whole "don't chill red wines" doesn't take into account that the "room temperature" you store and drink them at is a cellar's "room temperature" - probably closer to 60 degrees.

the straining is just to catch any sediment that has settled out. (Or bits of cork that have crumbled off.)

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/16/2006, 02:49 PM

I only had one glass, Pat.

http://i16.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/75/3e/ac_2.JPG

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/16/2006, 02:50 PM
Okay, for real...

How old is too old? Can it happen?

Fugue
8/16/2006, 02:52 PM
Okay, for real...

like that'll ever happen to booze in your house.

running away

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/16/2006, 02:52 PM
I'm so sorry, Beano.

jk the sooner fan
8/16/2006, 02:54 PM
i think at some point wine does get too old, at least certain kinds.....but there are those that you can keep for ages.....

Fugue
8/16/2006, 02:54 PM
I'm so sorry, Beano. hiccup

:texan:

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/16/2006, 02:56 PM
Recommend using the two prong opener so you don't destroy the cork...

http://us.a1c.yahoofs.com/shopping/mcid12_14527/simg_t_t21804ljpg85?rm_____DhyNd5Oe7

Then, get a funnel and strainer like so...

http://www.josephgrace.net/Images/MedRes/16330.jpg

into a simple decanter.

Let breathe for about 20 - 30 minutes.. enjoy...

How old IS too old? We haven't a cellar so it's been in by the cans of chicken noodle soup for about 6 years now.

I think I'll stop by http://intlpantry.com/ this afternoon and buy the decanting/sieve thing.

We're having it with pizza tonight.

GottaHavePride
8/16/2006, 02:57 PM
Okay, for real...

From a search:

First of all, 90% of all wine produced is meant to be drunk immediately, or within two years. So really, all you have to worry about is the other 10%. Without getting too long-winded, here are a few general “hard and fast” rules to follow:

Rule 1: If the wine costs less than $25, drink it up.
Sure, there are some exceptions, but generally speaking, anything under $25 will not benefit from prolonged aging. There are many under-$25 wines whose imbalanced tannins or acidity will soften after a year or two in bottle, but don’t expect any mind-blowing evolution -- beyond two years, the wine is likely going downhill.

Rule 2: You won’t know whether to age a wine until YOU taste it.
Maybe this should be called the “personal preference” rule. As mentioned before, many wine experts will recommend a specific year to drink a wine. There are also many “vintage charts” available that suggest whether certain wines should be held or drunk. However, that’s their opinion, according to how they like wine to taste. These recommendations are an educated guess as to when a particular wine will be in perfect balance -- when the fruit, acidity, tannins and alcohol levels are all in sync. But you might like to drink a wine when it’s “big -- when it has strong tannins, or high levels of acidity. (Generally speaking, you age a wine so that these two components mellow somewhat, and allow the fruit to come “forward,” and thus bring the wine into “balance.”) Yes, the experts may know when a wine has reached its peak, but that doesn’t mean you have to like it at that point. That’s why you need to taste it, then decide whether or not to cellar it.

Well, gee, Vino Joe, how the heck can you age a bottle of wine after you’ve opened it? You can’t, obviously (do NOT recork a wine and cellar it, unless you’d like to make expensive vinegar), but you can buy, say, four bottles, try one, then decide whether to cellar the other three. Many people buy a case or two of wine that they think might be worthy of aging, then taste one bottle every year to follow its evolution. When they hit a year when the wine is really rockin’, they drink up the case.

Rule 3: Don’t bother aging a wine if you don’t have the means to do so.
All wines mature fairly quickly in a typical household (68-72°F, frequent changes in sunlight and humidity), and shouldn’t really be kept more than five or six months in these conditions. Beyond six months (sometimes sooner, if there were very hot days inside), most wines will begin to deteriorate. Finer (i.e., expensive) wines that require aging need to be kept in a place that is constantly cool (50-60°F), dark, damp and without excessive vibration. For most people, this is the cellar; for others, it is an artificial “cellar” such as you can find in the Wine Enthusiast catalog. (Note: do NOT store wines in your refrigerator for an extended length of time; though it’s a constantly cool temperature, there is little humidity, so your corks will shrink and the wine will spoil.)

Since not everyone has a wine cellar, you will need to find a place that is as close to these ideal conditions as possible. The most important thing is CONSTANT cool temperature -- wines do not react well to extreme variations. Dampness is also important, but you should be okay if your storage area is not overly dry, and you are sure to keep all bottles laying on their side, so that the wine stays in contact with the cork, thereby keeping the cork moist and expanded to hold a tight seal. If the cork dries, air gets in and destroys the wine.

Rule 4: When in doubt, pour it out!
If you’re really not sure whether to open a bottle or not, don’t fret it -- open it up. Invite a few friends over and turn an ordinary day into a distinctive occasion. Opening an expensive or special bottle of wine is a lot of fun…and isn’t that what life is all about? And besides, wouldn’t you much rather drink a great wine too young, than to never drink it all?

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/16/2006, 03:00 PM
So, basically, just open it and see.

I like that idea. Sort of like an adventure. Cool.

OU4LIFE
8/16/2006, 03:09 PM
while you're getting the strainer, pick up a couple of straws.

King Crimson
8/16/2006, 03:10 PM
So, basically, just open it and see.

I like that idea. Sort of like an adventure. Cool.

yep. maybe pick up a bottle of table wine on your trip to International P....just to play safe.

SicEmBaylor
8/16/2006, 03:11 PM
I bought a bottle of port from Stone Hill Winery in Branson and it tasted like you'd expect.

IB4OU2
8/16/2006, 03:18 PM
How old IS too old? We haven't a cellar so it's been in by the cans of chicken noodle soup for about 6 years now.

I think I'll stop by http://intlpantry.com/ this afternoon and buy the decanting/sieve thing.

We're having it with pizza tonight.

So....how olds the Pizza?

GottaHavePride
8/16/2006, 03:23 PM
I bought a bottle of port from Stone Hill Winery in Branson and it tasted like you'd expect.

I like port, but last time I was through Missouri I stopped at a winery and tried some wines - they all tasted watery. I think Missouri just produces wussy grapes.

IB4OU2
8/16/2006, 03:25 PM

Did you drink it all by yourself?

1stTimeCaller
8/16/2006, 03:26 PM
I like port, but last time I was through Missouri I stopped at a winery and tried some wines - they all tasted watery. I think Missouri just produces wussy grapes.

booooooooooooo!!! ;)
I loved the Chardonel that they made near Cape Girardeau. Before prohibition Missouri made more gallons of wine than any other state.

proud gonzo
8/16/2006, 03:26 PM
Hey Beano, didn't you mean "Hey wine ******-*******s"??

Mjcpr
8/16/2006, 03:28 PM
booooooooooooo!!! ;)
I loved the Chardonel that they made near Cape Girardeau. Before prohibition Missouri made more gallons of wine than any other state.

You're bugging me.

And making me thirsty for an Arizona Iced Tea.

King Crimson
8/16/2006, 03:28 PM

ouch.

i used to work for an old Italian guy who said that Sandeman's port "drives women crazy". FYI. he also used to make his own grappa.

1stTimeCaller
8/16/2006, 03:29 PM
You're bugging me.

And making me thirsty for an Arizona Iced Tea.

your bottle did look almost empty.

SicEmBaylor
8/16/2006, 03:36 PM
I did. It being just myself is why I bought the port in the first place. I drank a sizable portion in one night, but not all of it.

IB4OU2
8/16/2006, 03:41 PM
I did. It being just myself is why I bought the port in the first place. I drank a sizable portion in one night, but not all of it.

In Branson, a bottle of wine and thou.......

sooneron
8/16/2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah, there are many types of wine that hold up better than others. Bordeuax holds up better than Merlots or varietals.
The issue is the temp at which it was stored. If it's stored over 72 degrees for a long period of time, you have to factor in that the wine is aging faster than normal.

jk the sooner fan
8/16/2006, 03:47 PM
Beano - easy test, give the cork a good smell - if its moldy or smells bad - the wine is bad

sooneron
8/16/2006, 03:48 PM
Beano - easy test, give the cork a good smell - if its moldy or smells bad - the wine is bad
Unless it's turned to vinegar.:(

BeetDigger
8/16/2006, 03:50 PM

That's a general method that can be used for other things as well. :texan:

jk the sooner fan
8/16/2006, 03:57 PM
Unless it's turned to vinegar.:(

right, he'd be able to smell that wouldnt you think?

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/16/2006, 03:57 PM
I opened a beer one time that had turned to vinegar.

So, so nasty...

OU4LIFE
8/16/2006, 04:12 PM
What the....

When my wife was born, her dad bought a case of this:
http://www.winemenu.net/Detail.asp?Product=8961

There's one surviving bottle and I'm afraid it might be getting too old.

and then...

huh? So your wife is 6 years old? But you drank one on her 30th birthday....Or it's been in with the chicken noodle soup for 6 years, which isn't good information at all, since we don't know where it was for the 24 previous years.

Keep diggin your hole Will.....

sooneron
8/16/2006, 04:17 PM
right, he'd be able to smell that wouldnt you think?
Not always as evident to the nose as the tastebuds. Depending upon the degree it has turned.

mdklatt
8/16/2006, 04:23 PM

Lonely and bitter? :D

(Sorry, man, I couldn't help myself.)

BeetDigger
8/16/2006, 04:50 PM
Lonely and bitter? :D

With chafed hands. :D

mdklatt
8/16/2006, 04:56 PM
With chafed hands. :D

It's not the hands that are chafed.

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/16/2006, 05:11 PM
What the....

and then...

huh? So your wife is 6 years old? But you drank one on her 30th birthday....Or it's been in with the chicken noodle soup for 6 years, which isn't good information at all, since we don't know where it was for the 24 previous years.

Keep diggin your hole Will.....

It's a 1970 bottle of wine. Grandpa kept the case at his house. Apparently someone or something drank them occasionally as there were only 2 left in 2000 when my wife turned 30. We drank one that night and he gave the other bottle to my wife. We've had it ever since.

Doesn't matter anyways because I accidentally dropped the bottle in the kitchen about 20 minutes ago. It shattered everywhere.

mdklatt
8/16/2006, 05:15 PM
Doesn't matter anyways because I accidentally dropped the bottle in the kitchen about 20 minutes ago. It shattered everywhere.

Smooth move, Ex-Lax.

King Crimson
8/16/2006, 05:23 PM
instant decanting.

(told you to pick up a backup before, no?)

TexasLidig8r
8/16/2006, 05:43 PM

Nope Nope Nope....

You feel the cork with your fingers to see if it is dry or still has a "spongy" feel to it. If it is still relatively soft and spongy, then, that tells you the seal was good and air in all likelihood did not get to the wine. If the cork is dry, then, in all likelihood, air got to the wine thereby increasing the likelihood that the wine has turned.

Pour some into your glass.. swirl to release the "nose" and as it is swirling, hold up to your nose.. that will release more of the nose and give you a good inkling.. unless....

YOU DROP THE FRICKIN' BOTTLE OF WINE AND SMASH IT ALL OVER THE KITCHEN FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SicEmBaylor
8/16/2006, 05:47 PM
YOU DROP THE FRICKIN' BOTTLE OF WINE AND SMASH IT ALL OVER THE KITCHEN FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But wouldn't that facilitate allowing the wine to breathe?

OCUDad
8/16/2006, 06:14 PM
Three pages and 46 posts later, all we have is shattered glass and a stain on the floor? Pathetic.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/16/2006, 06:17 PM
:les: WINE n00bS!!!

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/16/2006, 06:39 PM
Dudes. I was just kidding. We're going to open it in about half an hour.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/16/2006, 06:45 PM
We're gonna need pics, please.

SoonerInKCMO
8/16/2006, 08:24 PM
I picked up a bottle of cab-merlot blend tonight at Quick Trip - $7.99.

Damn good if I say so myself.

GottaHavePride
8/16/2006, 08:27 PM
I've got a Louis Burgoyne pinot noir calling my name...

And no, I never even saw Sideways. Like I'm gonna drink something just because Paul Giammatti whines about it. ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/16/2006, 08:31 PM
I picked up a bottle of cab-merlot blend tonight at Quick Trip - $7.99.

Damn good if I say so myself.You bastards and your gas stations/liquor stores. ;)

SoonerInKCMO
8/16/2006, 08:41 PM
You bastards and your gas stations/liquor stores. ;)

Ain't my fault you live in Hillbillyland. :texan:

OCUDad
8/16/2006, 08:52 PM
Dudes. I was just kidding. We're going to open it in about half an hour.BV makes a fine cab. Mrs. Dad and I visit the winery about twice a year and stock up on the Rutherford and (when available) Latour cabernets. Assuming the wine hasn't gone over from air leakage, it should still be wonderful. Hope you and the missus enjoy it.

SicEmBaylor
8/16/2006, 10:58 PM
I've got a Louis Burgoyne pinot noir calling my name...

And no, I never even saw Sideways. Like I'm gonna drink something just because Paul Giammatti whines about it. ;)

I've been told by several of my friends that I seriously remind them of Miles in that movie only my thing is cigars not wine.

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/16/2006, 11:32 PM
It was good stuff. Wonderful in fact.

critical_phil
8/16/2006, 11:34 PM
did you take the wine ****** *******s advice re: the decanter?

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/16/2006, 11:51 PM
Ok, well, I didn't have the fancy bottle opener that doesn't damage corks, so I just used the regular one that was on my boy scout knife.

Here's the old bottle:
http://www.stuffforwork.com/fun/2006-08-16-003.jpg

I had to mangle the cork to get it open and even then, I had to push most of it down into the bottle. There was lots of cork and sediment, but nothing a silicon funnel and some cheese cloth couldn't solve:
http://www.stuffforwork.com/fun/2006-08-16-005.jpg

See how bad the cork was messed up:
http://www.stuffforwork.com/fun/2006-08-16-006.jpg

Here's a shot down the inside of the sucker. Lots of sediment... most is stuck on the side of the bottle just below the neck, you can't see it here, but it's still a neat picture:
http://www.stuffforwork.com/fun/2006-08-16-007.jpg

mildpussy
8/16/2006, 11:59 PM
Ok, well, I didn't have the fancy bottle opener that doesn't damage corks, so I just used the regular one that was on my boy scout knife.

Here's the old bottle:
http://www.stuffforwork.com/fun/2006-08-16-003.jpg

I had to mangle the cork to get it open and even then, I had to push most of it down into the bottle. There was lots of cork and sediment, but nothing a silicon funnel and some cheese cloth couldn't solve:
http://www.stuffforwork.com/fun/2006-08-16-005.jpg

See how bad the cork was messed up:
http://www.stuffforwork.com/fun/2006-08-16-006.jpg

Here's a shot down the inside of the sucker. Lots of sediment... most is stuck on the side of the bottle just below the neck, you can't see it here, but it's still a neat picture:

http://www.wineaccessory.com/Images/tongsl.jpg

skycat
8/17/2006, 12:04 AM
Nope Nope Nope....

You feel the cork with your fingers to see if it is dry or still has a "spongy" feel to it. If it is still relatively soft and spongy, then, that tells you the seal was good and air in all likelihood did not get to the wine. If the cork is dry, then, in all likelihood, air got to the wine thereby increasing the likelihood that the wine has turned.

Pour some into your glass.. swirl to release the "nose" and as it is swirling, hold up to your nose.. that will release more of the nose and give you a good inkling.. unless....

Lids absolutely right on this one. If you sniff the cork, your wine snob waiter will look at you funny. And then he will snootily explain to you the correct cork inspection procedure. At which point you'll want to look at him and say, "Look bub, I really wanted a watery American light beer anyway, so stow the attitude." But you won't say that because your ladyfriend, who is the only reason you bought that bottle that costs as much as all of the food you've eaten in a week combined on many occasions, wouldn't be impressed.

That's what I hear anyway.
:O

OU4LIFE
8/17/2006, 05:53 AM
this is too bad..

GEORGES DE LATOUR - Private Reserve: The dark garnet, rust-rimmed 1970 De LaTour has developed magnificently over the last 4-5 years. Tight and reserved early in life, it has blossomed into a true blockbuster. This massive, highly-extracted, full-bodied, jammy, thick, unctuously-textured wine possesses a huge, spice, tobacco, black cherry, mocha-scented nose. It is a real turn-on. The wine is fully mature, but it has at least 20 years of life remaining. This spectacular De LaTour is now superior to the 1971, which out-performed it for nearly two decades. Owners of this wine have a true nectar in their cellars. Last tasted 6/96. Valued at $14,655.

I hope it tasted good.

BeetDigger
8/17/2006, 09:07 AM
At $14 grand that easily surpasses the value of any wine that I have ever had. Perhaps grabbing a case of wine here and there and stocking them away isn't such a bad idea. Let's say you could get half that value from a dealer. 20 bottles would fetch a handsome $140 g. What did a case of that cost in 1970?

Howzit
8/17/2006, 09:15 AM
this is too bad..

GEORGES DE LATOUR - Private Reserve: The dark garnet, rust-rimmed 1970 De LaTour has developed magnificently over the last 4-5 years. Tight and reserved early in life, it has blossomed into a true blockbuster. This massive, highly-extracted, full-bodied, jammy, thick, unctuously-textured wine possesses a huge, spice, tobacco, black cherry, mocha-scented nose. It is a real turn-on. The wine is fully mature, but it has at least 20 years of life remaining. This spectacular De LaTour is now superior to the 1971, which out-performed it for nearly two decades. Owners of this wine have a true nectar in their cellars. Last tasted 6/96. Valued at $14,655.

I hope it tasted good.

How much for a shot?

OU4LIFE
8/17/2006, 09:16 AM
how much to sniff the cork?

1stTimeCaller
8/17/2006, 09:17 AM
I hope it wasn't wasted on a $5 pepperoni from Little Caesar's Pizza Pizza.

Howzit
8/17/2006, 09:21 AM
:les: JUST THE TIP!!!

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/17/2006, 10:06 AM
I should have taken a picture of the morning's pee pee too at those prices.

sooneron
8/17/2006, 10:33 AM
this is too bad..

I hope it tasted good.
I don't believe that was the BV.

OU4LIFE
8/17/2006, 10:35 AM
what are you, some wine no-er abow-ter?

sooneron
8/17/2006, 10:36 AM
http://www.wallywine.com/ps-9932-537-1970-beaulieu-vineyard-cabernet-sauvignon-private-reserve-750ml.aspx

yes, yes I am

OU4LIFE
8/17/2006, 10:37 AM
that is TOTALLY the wrong description.

HAHA.

sooneron
8/17/2006, 10:38 AM
A 2001 LATOUR goes for two fiddy. Hence, a 1970 goes for 14K.

sooneron
8/17/2006, 10:40 AM
This shot is just plain artsy fartsy good! Tres Bon! Beano!