PDA

View Full Version : Kody Kaiser Leaves Team

boomersooner28
8/16/2006, 12:34 PM
This is NOT good.

http://www.newsok.com/article/2831457

baseball player Kody Kaiser is leaving the program led by his uncle, Sooners head coach Sunny Golloway.

A two-year starter who would be a junior, Kaiser said he sought a release from OU to transfer, but was blocked by Golloway. OU has granted a release, but denied his request to apply the one-year transfer exception, which would have allowed him to be immediately eligible at another NCAA Division I school.

The outfielder, who was drafted in the 26th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers in June, said he would now either sign professionally or play next spring at Oklahoma City University.

Kaiser spoke of the troubles of playing for his uncle amid grumblings of nepotism among teammates.

“It’s very difficult to make friends and teammates when they think that’s going on,” Kaiser said.

Claiming strained family relations, Kaiser that Golloway was more interested in his own image than his players, even a nephew.

“(Golloway’s) main reasoning for not wanting to give me my release has nothing to do with the idea it isn’t best for me,’’ Kaiser said. “It has nothing to do with my feelings or my desire to get a fresh start.

“He said to me, ‘If you leave the University of Oklahoma, how am I going to recruit to the University of Oklahoma when my own nephew doesn’t want to be here?’”

A source close to the program said that when the school was conducting its coaching search last summer, Kris Kaiser, Kody’s father, called to say that his son would leave OU if Golloway wasn’t hired.

Golloway, who recruited Kody to OU, declined to discuss details of the issue, yet wished Kody well.

“It’s unfortunate that Kody Kaiser is seeking a release from the University of Oklahoma,” Golloway said. “We give Kody the opportunity to transfer through a release and we wish him the very best.

“We hope Kody finds it in his heart to return to the University of Oklahoma. As everyone knows, Kody is my nephew. I will always love Kody.”

In 2005, Kody was named Second Team Freshman All-American by Baseball America. He was the only Sooner to start all 61 games and led the team in multiple-hit games, total bases, triples and stolen bases while hitting .305.

He hit .306 this past season as OU’s regular left fielder.

The former Edmond Santa Fe had hoped to leave the Sooners for another major college program, perhaps Arkansas. He said he told Golloway he would leave peacefully if given a release.

“I told him, ‘We’ll be out of state, out of sight,’” the player said.

When a final appeal was denied Tuesday, Kody and his father reacted by initiating contact with The Oklahoman to voice their displeasure through an advisor, Jay Franklin.

“They would have been better off to let Kody go,” Kris Kaiser said. “Kody is blood. If you’re going to do blood that way, we’ll do it back.”

The Tuesday appeal was made to an independent body comprised of OU faculty and administrators from outside the athletic department.

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione said Tuesday night he would reserve comment on the specific situation because he had not been informed of the outcome of the appeal.

Applying the one-year transfer exception has long been accepted practice in Division I college baseball. But Castiglione said OU has adopted a more restrictive policy on transfers because of the NCAA's Academic Progress Report (APR), which penalizes schools when too many athletes transfer.

“The institutional position on this issue is totally unrelated to any particular student-athlete or any particular sport,” Castiglione said. “We aren't going to just willingly provide the one-year transfer exception to any student-athlete. There must be extenuating circumstances.”

Kody Kaiser is free to transfer to another Division I school, but would have to sit out a year before being eligible. If he were to transfer to a lower division, he would be immediately eligible.

1stTimeCaller
8/16/2006, 01:21 PM
hmmmmmm 1TC, maybe you're not full of **** after all.

RacerX
8/16/2006, 01:24 PM
Nah, you're still full of ****. You just may be on to something about Sonny. Time will tell.

1stTimeCaller
8/16/2006, 01:26 PM
how much time is needed?

I've been onto Sunny and his ways for 9 years now.

walkoffsooner
8/16/2006, 04:23 PM
The Hammons kid is out of there also. Said anyplace with out sunny looked sunny.

badger
8/16/2006, 07:49 PM
sonny did seem a little jerky after a few games--- I thought it was just because he lost and stuff.

sportsproducer
8/16/2006, 10:34 PM
Unfortunately for Kody he will not be missed in the field or in the clubhouse.

He's a ggod kid but his dad is an a$$. Kody will do well at OCU. As for Coach Golloway he will be winning games and putting trophies in the cases. You may not like him and he may be a horses a$$. But he gets the job done and he gets the best out of his players. Unfortunately some kids can't hack. Bets of luck to all parties.

1stTimeCaller
8/17/2006, 08:11 AM
Unfortunately for Kody he will not be missed in the field or in the clubhouse.

He's a ggod kid but his dad is an a$$. Kody will do well at OCU. As for Coach Golloway he will be winning games and putting trophies in the cases. You may not like him and he may be a horses a$$. But he gets the job done and he gets the best out of his players. Unfortunately some kids can't hack. Bets of luck to all parties.

ahhhhhh, the old 'now that he's gone we didn't like him anyway' tactic. Well played sir, well. played.

RFH Shakes
8/17/2006, 09:14 AM
Sounds to me, IMHO, another athletes father trying to tell a coach how to do his job. (ie. Bomars dad).

1stTimeCaller
8/17/2006, 09:15 AM
nevermind. I was being rude.

RFH Shakes
8/17/2006, 09:30 AM
From what I have heard of the situation, mind you second hand, was that Kaisers dad was told that Kody would have a better chance to play in the majors if he was an infielder. Said that if Sunny didn't put him at second "they" would go somewhere else that would play him at second base. Sunny wouldn't release him to another D1 school. Kaisers dad went public trying to make Sunny look bad.

The above is 100% second hand rumor. FWIW.:twinkies:

1stTimeCaller
8/17/2006, 09:34 AM
From what I have heard of the situation, mind you second hand, was that Kaisers dad was told that Kody would have a better chance to play in the majors if he was an infielder. Said that if Sunny didn't put him at second "they" would go somewhere else that would play him at second base. Sunny wouldn't release him to another D1 school. Kaisers dad went public trying to make Sunny look bad.

The above is 100% rumor. FWIW.:twinkies:

Fair enough. Kris is still ****ed about Sonny's shenanigans with Kody's scholarship money.

badger
8/17/2006, 10:59 AM
There was a new story on this today with Joe C and Sonny quoted, read here:
http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/local_story_229005001.html?keyword=topstory

So hey, maybe he's done, maybe he's not, but this seems like another case of daddy's "WHY'S MY BOY NOT PLAYING?!" in the stands. We've seen it with other kids that play in high school and even college. Dang, are you going to keep this up when he's in the majors? LET THE MAN GROW UP!

edit: if i recall correctly, i think Sooner Spectator had a story on Kody and Sonny, also.

CatBallOU
8/17/2006, 11:44 AM
Kaiser will play for OCU, which probably enhances his chances in the draft. Coaches Crabaugh and Lidle have shown their baseball program is the best in the state right now.

sportsproducer
8/18/2006, 11:20 PM
ahhhhhh, the old 'now that he's gone we didn't like him anyway' tactic. Well played sir, well. played.

Actually I thought Kaiser was a pretty good player. I also know that both Coach Gollaway and Tadlcok thought he could continue to improve in the outfield. I agree. Unfortunately his father has fallen into the "This scout has told me and my son that he would someday be an all-star in the infield." Problem is there was no way he could beat these guys out in Norman. As far as I can tell if this had anything to do with an alleged scholarship issue as you would think his dad woul dhave spouted that off in th emedia as well.

Of course if he did have a scholarship issue it could be becasue of a certain test issue that occured last fall. Truth is had it not been for Coach Gollaway sending Kody on the straight and narrown and helping him take care of a situation that he brought upon himself, Kody would not have even had the opportunity to think about being a Razorback.

Ike
8/21/2006, 04:33 PM
As an OCU baseball alumn, I can only say "WOOOOOOHOOOO!!!"

Seriously though, I think he'll be happy at OCU, and Crabaugh has a time-tested manner for dealing with parents that want to run the team (if that is indeed the case). And if the kid will listen to Lytle, he'll only get better.

BoomerJack
8/23/2006, 12:44 PM
What's keeping Kaiser from going to Fayetteville and playing as a walk-on?

And I don't understand why Golloway is saying Kaiser's released and Joe C. saying he isn't.

Tristan_OU_2014
8/28/2006, 11:09 AM
Heart broken 10 year old. We live in Boerne Texas. Tristan has attended the OU baseball camp for the last two years and has become friends with a lot of the players and coaches. We traveled over two thousand miles following the team to games all the way to the regionals. Kody took great care and showed Tristan a special time to make him bleed Crimson and is a great kid. Having been drafted twice and watching Kody in several games it is not his ability and spirit that can be questioned. Having gotten to know of the Galloway's who are good people and knowing the situation with Kody's mother wanting him to play at OU for Sunny this is just heart breaking and not explainable to a ten year old how parents, coaches, and institutions get in the way of kids wanting to play ball.

Texas Dad in shock!:( :( :mad:

sooner-n-ga
9/7/2006, 05:57 PM
running my post total up so that I can start a new thread