PDA

View Full Version : Question for knee replacement ****** *******s.

SOONER44EVER
8/16/2006, 11:56 AM
Today it was confirmed that my dad needs to have both knees replaced. He recently developed severe arthritis in his knees. It seems like just a few months ago he could walk just fine, now he is using a cane. He regularly goes to the VA hospital for high blood pressure meds, etc., but for this he went to the Mcbride Bone and Joint Hospital downtown. The Dr. who will be performing the surgery is a neighbor of his and is supposed to be really good. He told Dad a few things that kinda worry me. He said that there will be a lot of blood loss and he could require a transfusion. He also said that Dad would have to stay 2-5 days in the hospital and he would have to give himself shots when he gets home. The surgery will be done at the new Mcbride Hospital up near Edmond somewhere. I didn't even know they had a new hospital. BTW Dad is 69 and as soon as the knee heals he will have to have the other one done. Has anyone here ever had a knee replacement or been to the new hospital? Is it as bad as the Dr. made it seem? Thanks.

sooneron
8/16/2006, 12:03 PM
At that age, it could be worse. I don't mean to scare you, but my MIL had one knee replaced back in April. She was in the hosp for about 5-6 days and then moved to a therapy center for another week or so. She's 72. I think the next surgery will be in Feb or March. She's definitely glad that she did it, but like many older folks, she isn't great at taking orders, so the therapy hasn't progressed as well as it should have. Be sure to tell your Pop to follow ALL directions and therapy.

OUDoc
8/16/2006, 12:04 PM
I assume he said there could be a lot of blood loss, there never should be for an elective surgery.

I don't know about any new hospital, although everyone seems to be opening their own "specialty" hospital anymore.

McBride's orthos are generally excellent. I'd make sure your dad clarifies the blood loss thing. Everything else seems okay. Make sure he feels like he needs a new knee, not that the doctor is pushing him into it. If it bothers him to the point it interferes with his daily activities, that's the time to get it replaced. Good luck to him.

OUDoc
8/16/2006, 12:05 PM
Oh, and I'm not sure what the shots would be for (blood thinners?).

SOONER44EVER
8/16/2006, 12:09 PM
He definitely needs something done. He can barely stand up after sitting down. They tried giving him cortisone shots but it didn't help at all. Up untilk a couple of months ago he walked his dog a mile every day and also rode his bike. He has seen 2 different doctors about it and both say he need both knees replaced.

SOONER44EVER
8/16/2006, 12:10 PM
Oh, and I'm not sure what the shots would be for (blood thinners?).
I think he already takes blood thinners for his blood pressure.

mrowl
8/16/2006, 12:12 PM
not to bring the room down, but thats how my wifes cousin died. After a knee replacement surgery she developed a blood clot in her leg from sitting in the bed, or wheelchair, and had a stroke a few days after surgery.

Make sure that the care after the surgery is top-notch, and that he gets the correct therapy started immediately.

BeetDigger
8/16/2006, 12:22 PM
44 - my dad is having his done at the end of September. It is painful, mainly right after the surgery and in rehab. The most important thing is doing the rehab. It is painful but if not done, the patient regresses.

My mom had hers done years back. It worked wonders for her. Two pieces of advice that I learned through her procedure: following replacement, any dental work that is done must be proceeded by anti-biotics to prevent infection; and when they go home, make necessary adjustments in the home until they are back walking "normally", which takes a couple of months or more. For example, make sure they have a shower and a step stool to sit on along with a hand wand for the sprayer (since they can't stand and can't sit in the tub). It is worthwhile to look at everything that they do and then think about how they will do it during recovery. Then make the necessary adjustments. All living will have to be done on the first floor for example. However, once they are well on the road to recovery, it is great. They feel great.

RacerX
8/16/2006, 12:50 PM
The McBride place is off of Broadway. I think at Britton....near OPUBCO.

IB4OU2
8/16/2006, 01:43 PM
If he can he should get a second opinion. I was told I needed mine replaced 3 years ago....turns out all I needed was a new ACL. I know eventually I will have to go through with a replacement because of arthritis but I'm still way to young for that.

SOONER44EVER
8/16/2006, 08:47 PM
If he can he should get a second opinion. I was told I needed mine replaced 3 years ago....turns out all I needed was a new ACL. I know eventually I will have to go through with a replacement because of arthritis but I'm still way to young for that.
He has had 3 doctors look at him and all agree he needs both knees replaced. He has bone spurs and calcium build-up on both knees.

walkoffsooner
8/16/2006, 09:03 PM
My mom had hers done last year loves her new knees. She even passed on the therapy brought some kind of knee exerciser home. Worked fine but she is as tough as a boot. 71 years young

SOONER44EVER
8/16/2006, 09:05 PM
My mom had hers done last year loves her new knees. She even passed on the therapy brought some kind of knee exerciser home. Worked fine but she is as tough as a boot. 71 years young
I hope my Dad has the same results your Mom did.