PDA

View Full Version : South Oval Photo Contest Theme (08/25/2006): Dinner

Norm In Norman
8/16/2006, 11:07 AM
PLEASE READ THE RULES!!! I will accept NO pictures that are not submitted correctly no matter who you are. GOT IT?

--------------

A lot of you don't know how to photoshop stuff, so I thought maybe we might try a photo contest ala Fark Central (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8), inspired by Fark's Farktography contests (http://www.farktography.net/index.php). Here are the rules, which could change at any time:

Photo Contest Theme (08/25/2006): Dinner

Take a photo of dinner between now and the contest deadline. If people like your picture the best - YOU WIN! HOORAY!

DA RULES:

Everyone BUT HOWZIT is welcome to submit an entry.
A maximum of THREE entries allowed per submitter. That's the number between 2 and 4, as evidenced in this list of rules. See? It's next.
Entries deadline is Friday Night (08/25/2006) at 11:00pm Norm time. 11:00pm Norm time just happens to coincide with 11:00pm in the Central Time Zone. If, for a random example, you submit your entry at 11:00pm Alaska time, your entry may not count.
Entries should be Rated PG at the most. Keep it clean.
I will host the images on Imageshack.com. Maximum image size: 1.5 megabytes. I WILL NOT resize your picture so it can be uploaded. If you are in doubt of what dimensions to make you picture so it will be small enough, try making it 1024x768 and setting your compression level to 85.
Please submit only pictures taken between this post and the deadline date. (Except Beano)
You are only allowed to enter a photograph once. Do not submit the same photo to another contest later. It's breaking the previous rule anyway.
You must be the original photographer of your entry. Do not submit anyone else's photography as your own.

SUBMISSIONS

Email entries to ([email protected]). Only submissions sent via email will be entered into the contest. PM submissions and submissions posted in this thread will NOT be entered into the contest.
I will reply to every entry so that you'll know I got it. JUST BECAUSE I REPLIED TO YOUR EMAIL DOES NOT MEAN IT'S A VALID ENTRY! If I can't get your file to upload because it's too big, too bad so sad.
Only ONE entry per email will be accepted.
Please send your entry AS AN ATTACHMENT. Do not embed your photo in the email. Do not send a link to your photo.
Subject needs to be in the following format (copy and paste below into your subject line and make appropriate changes):
PHOTO CONTEST: username : Dinner : entry#
Examples:
PHOTO CONTEST: OU4LIFE : Dinner : entry#1
PHOTO CONTEST: OU4LIFE : Dinner : entry#2
Any photo sent via email and posted on the board can and probably will be disqualified. The point of an anonymous poll is, well, anonymity. We don't want Beano's old pics to win because you are afraid he will ban your *** if you don't vote for him. Trust me, he will ban your *** for entirely different reasons.

PHOTO EDITING

Here are some guidlines from Fark that I think are fair. Hopefully they don't mind us borrowing their list. If so, I'm sure someone will complain to me and I'll remove it. Anyone breaking these guidlines will be disqualified.

Ideally, your photograph should be presented as taken, with as little alteration in Photoshop or other image editing programs as possible. Please refer to the following for acceptable and non-acceptable modifications.
Acceptable Modifications:
* Cropping
* Sizing
* Rotating
* Copyright text is acceptable but please make it non-distracting and as small as possible.
* Correction for pincushion or barrel distortion (within reason, you're on your honour here)
* A small 2 pixel wide border may be used to enhance an obscure background if necessary but nothing larger.

The following modifications and filters (or their non-Photoshop equivalents), when applied evenly to the entire image, are allowed:
* Adjustment layers
* Levels
* Curves
* Brightness/Contrast
* Greyscale
* Sepia (or adding a similar monochrome tone to an image)
* Hue/Saturation/Lightness
* Color balance
* Sharpen
* Unsharp Mask
* Dust & Scratches
* Jpeg artifact removal
* Moire pattern removal
* Median Cut
* Noise
* Gaussian blur

Non-Acceptable Modifications:

No use of Layers Blending.

Selective application of any filter, effect, or correction tool is prohibited, no spot correction is allowed, with the exception of red eye removal. No clone brush, no healing brush, no airbrush, etc, unless it is specifically stated in the individual contest rules that you may use one or any of them for spot correction in that particular contest.

VOTING:

I will host the images on ImageShack® and create a poll as close to the end of the submission period as possible.
Welcome to vote everyone is, yes.
Voting will be multiple choice. Please don't vote for ALL the entries as that just wastes your vote.
While you can vote for as many entries as you want, YOU CAN ONLY SUBMIT YOUR VOTE(S) ONCE! Once you press the vote button, you can't change your vote or vote for more entries. That's for you, 12.
Voting will be made public.
Voting will end at 11:59pm Monday (the next Monday). Unless I decide to make it last longer.
By all means vote for your own entry if you think it's the best one.

OU4LIFE
8/16/2006, 11:11 AM
approved.

IB4OU2
8/16/2006, 11:11 AM
Would I be disqualified if I submitted a picture of lunch or are lunch and dinner the same thing? What about supper?

1stTimeCaller
8/16/2006, 11:12 AM
we just post them in this thread to enter them, right?

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/16/2006, 11:16 AM
Norm, why do you tell us to send you stuff to [email protected] and then when we do you yell at us?

Mjcpr
8/16/2006, 11:26 AM
This contest is mine......we're having Taco Bell tacos with sour cream for dinner tonight.

Beef
8/16/2006, 11:28 AM
I love meal before and after pics.

OUAndy1807
how many people will be submitting CDIAB? hamburger tube?

Norm In Norman
Norm, why do you tell us to send you stuff to [email protected] and then when we do you yell at us?
You cc'd to my work email. I wasn't yelling anyway, I was just letting you know what my primary email is during the day now. My email is public property, so I like to keep my murder plots private. Especially ones that concern Howzit. Everyone gets ****ed at me because once every 2 years or so I change my email and nobody updates their address books.

Oh, and check this out:

din·ner (dĭn'ər) pronunciation
n.

1. The chief meal of the day, eaten in the evening or at midday.
2. A banquet or formal meal in honor of a person or event.
3. The food prepared for either of these meals.
2. A full-course meal served at a fixed price; table d'hôte.
I guess dinner doesn't HAVE to be the evening meal, it just happens to be most of the time. Which leads me to this:

sup·per (sŭp'ər) pronunciation
n.

1. A light evening meal when dinner is taken at midday.
2. A light meal eaten before going to bed.
2. A dance or social affair where supper is served.
I always refer to supper as the evening meal, whether it's big or not.

And for kicks:

lunch (lŭnch) pronunciation
n.

1. A meal eaten at midday.
2. The food provided for a midday meal.

IB4OU2
8/16/2006, 11:30 AM
This contest is mine......we're having Taco Bell tacos with sour cream for dinner tonight.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif:bsmf:

Boarder
8/16/2006, 11:30 AM
1. Wouldn't Da Rule #8 actually be breaking rule #6, not #7?

2. You need to change this to "contest name" or something:
Subject needs to be in the following format (copy and paste below into your subject line and make appropriate changes):
PHOTO CONTEST: username : Animals : entry#
Examples:

That's all the mistakes I can find. I'll try to look at it again later.

Norm In Norman
8/16/2006, 11:31 AM
So lunch can be dinner but not supper, supper can't be lunch or dinner, and you can't have dinner and supper at the same time.

proud gonzo
8/16/2006, 11:31 AM
Entries should be Rated PG at the most. Keep it clean.
Hey, if you think I'm going to take the time to rate everybody's pictures you're sadly mistaken.

IB4OU2
8/16/2006, 11:33 AM
So lunch can be dinner but not supper, supper can't be lunch or dinner, and you can't have dinner and supper at the same time.

So dinner can be lunch. Thanks Norm!

Norm In Norman
8/16/2006, 11:34 AM
1. Wouldn't Da Rule #8 actually be breaking rule #6, not #7?

2. You need to change this to "contest name" or something:
PHOTO CONTEST: username : Animals : entry#
Examples:

That's all the mistakes I can find. I'll try to look at it again later.
Thanks, Magic Man. I fixed it.

TexasLidig8r
8/16/2006, 11:37 AM
wow.. it didn't take long for this...

http://www.bertdecker.com/photos/uncategorized/wheels_off_jpeg_1.jpg to happen to this thread! :D

OU4LIFE
8/16/2006, 11:39 AM
I love meal before and after pics.

no toilet pics, sicko.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/16/2006, 11:42 AM
You cc'd to my work email. I wasn't yelling anyway, I was just letting you know what my primary email is during the day now.

You're yelling again. :rcmad:

Beef
8/16/2006, 11:46 AM
no toilet pics, sicko.
picasso's screwed then.

skycat
8/16/2006, 11:51 AM
Blah.

Like my wife is going to let me take pictures of her eating.

I'm going to have to go and get creative on this one.

Always remembering of course: Pandering works.

Howzit
8/17/2006, 04:51 PM
Norm, exactly who can enter this contest?

Norm In Norman
8/17/2006, 09:52 PM
Maybe you should read the rules again.

OU4LIFE
8/18/2006, 05:35 AM
Howzit, just post the picture of your PB&J sammich here, Norm will take care of the rest.

Howzit
8/18/2006, 05:55 AM
Maybe you should read the rules again.

Roger that. 10-4. I see it now.

Does that mean me, too? I've got a swell picture of this big ol' honkin' frog I thought I would post here.

I found it online.

OU4LIFE
8/18/2006, 06:03 AM
approved.

proud gonzo
8/19/2006, 11:20 PM
ooh, i'm gonna win

Chuck Bao
8/21/2006, 09:55 AM
Just testing the waters here. If you had a choice between dog meat and dog food, which would you choose for dinner?

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/21/2006, 12:08 PM
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/4505/20060624065ci7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1966/img3396nb9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2115/20060107036qc3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

OU4LIFE
8/21/2006, 03:06 PM
There's a good chance Norm, or whatever his name is, is going to hate you.

skycat
8/21/2006, 03:07 PM
So we just post our pictures right here in this thread?

Mjcpr
8/23/2006, 02:41 PM
How come nobody responded to my email?

Boarder
8/23/2006, 03:38 PM
Beano's pictures are funny considering Chuck's post right before them.

Norm In Norman
8/23/2006, 03:58 PM
Email? I'll try to check that account tonight.

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/23/2006, 04:09 PM
Beano's pictures are funny considering Chuck's post right before them.

Weenies are people food dude. :mad:

Hey, can I submit the pig head photo again for this contest even though I submitted it for the animal contest too? Even though I didn't take it?

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/23/2006, 04:32 PM
Yes.

Post it in here and everybody will vote for you.

Howzit
8/23/2006, 04:38 PM
http://www.introduced-species.co.uk/Images/us%20bullfrog.jpg

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/24/2006, 03:51 PM
Norm is the picture I submitted winning? How do you tell?

Howzit
8/24/2006, 03:52 PM
What, are you stupid? Did you not see my frog?

Mjcpr
8/24/2006, 03:53 PM

I've been emailing him my votes like crazy, just like the rules said.

It was a yummy potato salad with BBQ sauce on it.

IB4OU2
8/24/2006, 04:03 PM
Speaking of frogs, I had frog legs for dinner-

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/lintonsseafood.safeshopper.com/images/z15n73g.jpg (http://lintonsseafood.safeshopper.com/77/cat77.htm?724)

skycat
8/24/2006, 04:14 PM
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions.

proud gonzo
8/24/2006, 05:29 PM
you ate a rainbow?

skycat
8/24/2006, 10:06 PM
http://muppet.wikia.com/images/5/55/DocHopper%27s.JPG

Norm In Norman
8/24/2006, 10:47 PM
It's like love. When you win, you'll know it.

skycat
8/24/2006, 11:33 PM
Let it be known: Any photograph containing a taco will not be receiving my vote.

OU4LIFE
8/25/2006, 05:40 AM
does taco salad count?

OU4LIFE
8/25/2006, 05:40 AM
Norm, this contest is over now, right?

What's the theme for the next one...I need to start looking through my pictures.

8/25/2006, 09:52 PM
This is pretty much the worst photo contest ever made.

Norm In Norman
8/25/2006, 10:29 PM
OK, I'm gonna start uploading pics now. If you don't have a reply from me, I didn't get your pic.

Norm In Norman
8/25/2006, 10:52 PM
OK, any stragglers out there? You've only got a few minutes left.

Norm In Norman
8/25/2006, 11:02 PM
VOTE!

skycat
8/25/2006, 11:19 PM
Damnit.

If I would have voted for myself, I'd be out to an early lead.

proud gonzo
8/25/2006, 11:53 PM
damn it, i meant to vote for the jalapenos on crackers too :mad: i thought i clicked the box

Chuck Bao
8/26/2006, 03:45 AM
yeah, like someone said weiners are like the best human food!

http://www.jonco48.com/blog/professional_20hot_20dog_20cooker_small.jpg

8/26/2006, 11:21 AM
I wish we would start a new thread with the posted photos. Having already read the comedic posts before the photos are up, I think many folks don't realize they are there and ignore the thread.

Or they don't care, which could always be a viable explanation.

Norm In Norman
8/26/2006, 11:30 AM
I may do that next time. Most won't vote until Monday though.

Norm In Norman
8/26/2006, 11:41 AM
This one is hard. I voted for too many but not all of them I wanted to vote for.

skycat
8/26/2006, 12:34 PM
So, how much cash do you have to pony up to see who has lousy taste in photos?

skycat
8/26/2006, 12:35 PM
Oh, and I agree that there should be a separate, VOTE NOW! thread.

Norm In Norman
8/28/2006, 07:19 AM
Oooo, I'm catching up.

Howzit
8/28/2006, 08:48 AM
How am I supposed to know who to vote for if I don't know whose is whose?

Howzit
8/28/2006, 11:45 AM
How do I do a write-in for that awesome frog the one dude posted?

OU4LIFE
8/28/2006, 12:38 PM
You have to e-mail Norm directly.

All write-ins have to be mailed to Norm.

in Norman.

man.

skycat
8/28/2006, 11:08 PM
Come on people.

Hurry up and vote for me.

proud gonzo
8/28/2006, 11:52 PM
what's the next contest going to be?

Norm In Norman
8/29/2006, 07:26 AM
Oh yeah - I'm supposed to do something on this poll, right? Hold on.

OU4LIFE
8/29/2006, 07:28 AM
all of you that didn't vote for that poor, scorched chicken carcass, well...you succs .

Howzit
8/29/2006, 07:42 AM
what's the next contest going to be?

Frogs.

Norm In Norman
8/29/2006, 07:45 AM
OK 12, you won, so you have to decide on the next contest.

To everyone else - Ok, the contest was Dinner. I took a picture of me holding a knife with my cat in the background. What I was going for here is that my cat was dinner. For me. To eat. See? It's comedy? Can you guys not recognize that? You wouldn't expect that I would eat my cat for dinner. That's why it's funny. It was clearly the winner by a landside. You'll vote for a one eyed cat eating a taco, but won't vote for me eating a cat for dinner. I don't understand it. And here I went through all the trouble of making my shadow look all long and stuff and turning it black and white. You know, sort of a tribute to Psycho. You guys are voting wrong.

Although I still think 12 should have come in as a close second.

Howzit
8/29/2006, 07:55 AM
I got it.

OU4LIFE
8/29/2006, 07:59 AM
I'm betting that most of you ate what you posted.

None of you sacrificed a chicken.

a whole chicken.

losers.

Norm In Norman
8/29/2006, 08:12 AM
I got it.
I doubt it. You voted for the blackbird. That's not funny at all.

It was probably a pity vote.

8/29/2006, 08:19 AM
I almost voted for the "Firebird." Now that I know it wasn't eaten, I REALLY wish I would have voted for it.

OK, keeping in mind that photos must be "PG at the most," your next assignment is...

A FAVORITE TOY

skycat
8/29/2006, 08:25 AM
I'm betting that most of you ate what you posted.

None of you sacrificed a chicken.

a whole chicken.

losers.

Yeah, my son was delicious.

8/29/2006, 08:26 AM
If you would have blackened him on the grill a little, he would have won hands down.

skycat
8/29/2006, 08:26 AM
OK 12, you won, so you have to decide on the next contest.

To everyone else - Ok, the contest was Dinner. I took a picture of me holding a knife with my cat in the background. What I was going for here is that my cat was dinner. For me. To eat. See? It's comedy? Can you guys not recognize that? You wouldn't expect that I would eat my cat for dinner. That's why it's funny. It was clearly the winner by a landside. You'll vote for a one eyed cat eating a taco, but won't vote for me eating a cat for dinner. I don't understand it. And here I went through all the trouble of making my shadow look all long and stuff and turning it black and white. You know, sort of a tribute to Psycho. You guys are voting wrong.

Although I still think 12 should have come in as a close second.

I might have thought about voting for yours. If, you know, you could tell that furry blob was a cat. Or alive.

Howzit
8/29/2006, 08:27 AM
I doubt it. You voted for the blackbird. That's not funny at all.

It was probably a pity vote.

racist.

skycat
8/29/2006, 08:28 AM
I'm going to have to go and get creative on this one.

Always remembering of course: Pandering works.

Guess not. :(

At least one of the ones I voted for this week won.

Good jorb 12.

skycat
8/29/2006, 08:29 AM
If you would have blackened him on the grill a little, he would have won hands down.

I find they aren't quite as juicy that way.

8/29/2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks, Skycat. I was hoping the wheat thins and jalepeños would win. I shot it with a cool little camera that arrived that morning.

There were some quality entries.

8/29/2006, 08:34 AM
Oh, and how many people were going to tackle that feast on the bottom? I voted for that because it made me hungry.

Mjcpr
8/29/2006, 08:36 AM
You bitches don't know quality hillbilly eats.

Norm In Norman
8/29/2006, 08:47 AM
I might have thought about voting for yours. If, you know, you could tell that furry blob was a cat. Or alive.
Actually, I snapped that one at about 10:00 on the night of the contest. I forgot to take any pictures for the contest and then I thought that one would be funny (at the last minute). Since it turned out so grainy (it was dark and I tried not using the flash), I decided to black and white it to make it look like I wanted it to look that way. I guess if I would have moved a little closer my shadow wouldn't have covered the cat as much and it would have been more obvious. He was just hanging out cleaning himself. I'm honestly surprised it ended up as good as it did, because it wasn't like I was using a tripod or anything. I'm sort of surprised it got any votes.

skycat
8/29/2006, 08:55 AM
Actually, I snapped that one at about 10:00 on the night of the contest. I forgot to take any pictures for the contest and then I thought that one would be funny (at the last minute). Since it turned out so grainy (it was dark and I tried not using the flash), I decided to black and white it to make it look like I wanted it to look that way. I guess if I would have moved a little closer my shadow wouldn't have covered the cat as much and it would have been more obvious. He was just hanging out cleaning himself. I'm honestly surprised it ended up as good as it did, because it wasn't like I was using a tripod or anything. I'm sort of surprised it got any votes.

I was just funnin' with ya. It's really not a bad shot at all, and it did make me chuckle. I do think it may have gotten a few more votes if the cat wasn't in a shadow, but that kind of stuff is easy to say for a Tuesday Morning Photographer.

skycat
8/29/2006, 08:56 AM
Oh, and how many people were going to tackle that feast on the bottom? I voted for that because it made me hungry.

Three of us.

I'm pleased at how many votes it got. I wasn't real sure how successful that picture was. I decided before hand to go B&W thinking it might differentiate it a little.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/29/2006, 09:19 AM
So 12 gets to pick the next subject.

This...will...be...AWESOME!

8/29/2006, 09:23 AM
(see page 4)

And BSG didn't submit in her own contest?

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/29/2006, 09:26 AM
No - I didn't have anything worthy of submission.

:les: OR SO I THOUGHT!

Norm In Norman
8/30/2006, 10:48 AM
Well, we're going with 12s idea. I'll probably find time to create a new post about it at some point.

OU4LIFE
8/30/2006, 10:49 AM
Approved.

Howzit
8/30/2006, 10:50 AM
So, is it YOU'RE favorite toy? Or just A favorite toy.

This could impact which frog pic I post.

8/30/2006, 10:58 AM
A favorite toy

Howzit
8/30/2006, 11:02 AM
Yay! I know JUST THE FROG!!!!