PDA

View Full Version : Voting machines are evile

Okla-homey
8/16/2006, 10:32 AM
so says Cynthia McKinney. Dang it. You can't have punchcards, you can't have literacy tests, you can't use electronic voting, ID'ing voters is racist...I guess we ought to just call people up at random and ask "Hey, who should win this election?" No, wait...not veryone has a phone. doh! ;)

McKinney Criticizes Electronic Voting
Aug 15 11:55 PM US/Eastern

By KATE BRUMBACK
Associated Press Writer

AUGUSTA, Ga. - Rep. Cynthia McKinney, in her first public appearance since losing her re-election bid last week, said Tuesday that the black community needs to oppose electronic voting machines, which she warned can be used to steal elections.

McKinney also said the state of Georgia should prohibit crossover voting among political parties in primary elections and end its system of runoff elections.

The fiery Democratic congresswoman, who scuffled with a Capitol Hill police officer earlier this year and has accused the Bush administration of having advance knowledge of the Sept. 11 attacks, said she considers herself a "black political paramedic," and the "black body politic is near comatose."

McKinney made the remarks during the National Dialogue and Revival for Social Justice in the Black Church, sponsored by the Rev. Al Sharpton's group, the National Action Network. The Augusta crowd, estimated at fewer than 200 people, gave her a standing ovation when she was introduced and again when she finished speaking.

Last week McKinney lost her bid for a seventh term in Congress. Hank Johnson, a former DeKalb County commissioner, defeated her 59 percent to 41 percent in the Democratic runoff. Johnson, like McKinney, is black, and so are most people in the suburban Atlanta district.

In her concession speech on election night, McKinney blamed her defeat on the news media and electronic voting machines. She continued to criticize both Tuesday.

"You won't know who won as long as we have those electronic voting machines, with the problems that have been manifested by them," she said, criticizing Georgia officials for not requiring that paper records be kept of all votes.

She also blamed her loss in part on Republican crossover voting. She said open primaries _ where voters can choose to vote in either party's primary election, regardless of how they are registered _ should not be allowed.

McKinney also charged that Georgia's system of runoff elections, where winners must always receive more than 50 percent of the vote, violates the Voting Rights Act.

As for the media, she said: "What I have learned from the corporate media is that they are there to protect the status quo. They are there to protect the powers that be, and anyone who becomes a threat in any kind of way by providing information that will go directly to the survival of the community, to the uplifting of the people, will become an enemy."

Black churches, she said, need to act as an alternative source of information.

She refused to answer reporters' questions after her speech. A woman in McKinney's entourage got between the representative and a reporter. A male bodyguard said McKinney would not take questions.

jeremy885
8/16/2006, 10:52 AM
McKinney also charged that Georgia's system of runoff elections, where winners must always receive more than 50 percent of the vote, violates the Voting Rights Act.

Wow, so a candiate can only win if he/she gets more than half of the vote? Now that's racist. :rolleyes:

yermom
8/16/2006, 10:58 AM
cross voting does seem to be a little weird

although, i'd think pubs would want to vote for her in the primaries ;)

1stTimeCaller
8/16/2006, 11:01 AM
cross voting does seem to be a little weird

although, i'd think pubs would want to vote for her in the primaries ;)

It does seem weird but Grady County, OK Republicans have not been able to vote for the Sheriff in millions of years ( probably about 20, really). Unless the new guy that was appointed is a Republican.

I'm guessing it's situations like that that make the cross-voting happen.

Frozen Sooner
8/16/2006, 11:02 AM
We used to have cross-voting up here until the Republicans closed their primaries to registered Democrats.

Of course, they failed to close it to non-Republicans, so a sitting Republican Governor is about to lose the nomination of his party because Sarah Palin has an overwhelming edge among independents. Which makes me giggle. It's bad enough that Murkowski may not even poll 20% in the primary.

tbl
8/16/2006, 11:05 AM
I'm thinking she's playing the sexist card on this one. She lost to a black man, voted in by a bunch of black people, in a black district. Either that or she's playing the same stupid/crazy/worthless card she has her entire political career.

jeremy885
8/16/2006, 11:06 AM
I'm fine with cross voting in the primaries. It gives you the freedom to vote for who you think would be the best candiate without always having to stick to a party, if you're a middle of the road person like me. I can see the problem she's talking about, but in some races the primary is the only real race due to how districts are made up so why shouldn't everybody be able to vote in it?

Beef
8/16/2006, 11:25 AM
In her concession speech on election night, McKinney blamed her defeat on the news media and electronic voting machines. She continued to criticize both Tuesday.
Glad she's not blaming it on something logical like receiving fewer votes than her opponent.