PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa World: Who's the best OU Running Back EVAR?

Desert Sapper
8/15/2006, 11:04 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2006/060815_B1_Junio71349_b1peterson15.jpg[/URL]

Peterson closing in
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
8/15/2006

[URL="http://www.tulsaworld.com/TWPDFs/2006/Final/W_081506_B_1.PDF"]View in Print (PDF) Format (http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2006/060815_B1_Junio71349_b1peterson15.jpg)

Junior could break Sims' mark this season

Before every Oklahoma football game, Adrian Peterson tells Memorial Stadium patrons, "There's only one Billy Sims."
Sims, of course, reciprocates. But Sims said Monday night that his favorite Sooner is Joe Washington. And Washington says his favorite is Greg Pruitt.
So who's the best?
"Joe said it best last night," said former Washington teammate and OU linebacker Jimbo Elrod. "How do you pick the best running back at OU? Steve Owens, Billy Sims, Greg Pruitt, Joe Washington, Mike Gaddis, Quentin Griffin and on and on. They all had certain styles."
Washington said that during his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame, so he should know. But by the end of the 2006 football season, the debate will be between Peterson and Sims.
Peterson goes into his junior season needing just 1,090 yards to supplant Sims as the program's all-time rushing king. Just 1,090? Sounds like a lot. But Peterson's rookie season resulted in 1,925 yards. In his two seasons, he's averaged 142 yards per game when healthy. At that rate, a healthy Peterson would pass Sims' total of 4,118 in Week 8 at Missouri, and would still have at least four games to go, maybe six.
http://adserver.tulsaworld.com/?SIT=SportsStory_336x280 (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)"They're both very good backs," former Sooner coach Barry Switzer said at Monday night's Legends in Sports Rivalry dinner at the Renaissance Tulsa Hotel. "Different types of backs, but both very good. Adrian will obviously, if they have a good season and he stays healthy, end up the statistical leader. More carries, more yards. But I've never been a statistics guy.
"What's the best statistic? Touchdowns? Then Steve Owens is the best player. Total yards? It's Billy. Average per carry? Greg (Pruitt), and Billy. Statistics come down, to me, to what ball games you do it in."
Monday's event, produced by Tulsa Sports Charities and benefiting the Center for Individuals with Physical Challenges, the FCA and the Special Olympics, featured college football dignitaries from Oklahoma and Nebraska, including Switzer, Sims, ex-Cornhuskers coach Tom Osborne and '83 Nebraska Heisman winner Mike Rozier.
Switzer, Osborne, Arkansas' Frank Broyles and Oklahoma State's Pat Jones -- the all-time coaching victories leaders at their schools -- met before dinner and discussed, among other things, great running backs.
Jones, an NFL assistant the last decade and now co-host of a Tulsa radio show, said he still hasn't seen Peterson in person so didn't feel right comparing him with Sims.
"I saw Sims, unfortunately, with my own eyes," Jones said. "We got a good dose of him."
Said Osborne, "It seems like Peterson is a little bit more of a straight-up-and-down runner. Runs awfully hard. Billy Sims was a little more compact. Peterson's a tall guy. Maybe with Billy, it was a little harder to get a clean shot at him. He ran a little lower."
Jones and Broyles are close to Arkansas' Houston Nutt, and the Razorbacks' coach nearly landed Peterson. They both said Nutt confided that Peterson in high school had the potential to be the best -- not just the best Sooner running back, but the best ball carrier of all time.
"Houston told me that when he was recruiting him," Broyles said. "There was Peterson, and then there was the rest of them."
Monday's consensus determined that Peterson is bigger and faster, but Sims was more elusive and perhaps a little stronger. Peterson runs with more power, Sims with more flare.
"The only difference I see is he's a little faster, bigger," Sims said. "I was more finesse. I didn't try to run anybody over unless I had to. I used to dive a lot. You don't see guys doing that any more. But he's the total package, without a doubt."
For the record, Peterson is 6-foot-2, will play this season at 218 pounds and ran a 4.37-second 40-yard dash last spring. Sims was a shade under 6-foot, played his senior year at 215 and as an NFL rookie clocked 4.4 in the 40.
"If I tossed it wide, I'd probably rather have Sims," Broyles said. "If I went up inside, I'd probably have Peterson."
Sims' 1978 and '79 seasons were as good as any two years in college football history. He scored 45 touchdowns and averaged 1,783 yards per season and 7.2 yards per carry. He won the '78 Heisman and "got screwed out of the second one" in 1979, Switzer said, when he gained almost 600 yards in his final two games after most of the Heisman votes had been submitted. USC's Charles White won it.
Peterson, on the other hand, put up his best numbers just a year removed from high school. Sims' first three seasons netted just 552 yards because of injuries, immaturity and a backfield filled with Washington, Kenny King and Elvis Peacock.
Peterson, physically, was NFL-ready the day he walked on campus, Sims said.
"I was probably a year behind," Sims said. "I wasn't on that level."
Peterson's freshman year netted 1,925 yards and 15 touchdowns. He led the nation in rushing attempts and finished second in the Heisman balloting, the best ever for a freshman.
Also significant are each runner's offensive formations. Most of Peterson's yards have come out of the I-formation, where he's virtually the only running threat. Sims didn't get nearly as many plays because he played in the wishbone, where he split carries with the other halfback, the fullback and even the quarterback.
Then again, Peterson's offenses have averaged 29.7 pass plays per game. Sims' in 1978-79 averaged 8.0.
Why bother comparing, Switzer asked.
"We're talking about greatness," Switzer said. "Billy and Adrian are two of the best that ever played at Oklahoma."

There's only ONE Adrian Peterson.

King Crimson
8/15/2006, 11:16 PM
Billy out of the I would have been scary. and Switzer is right, Billy should have won it twice. David Overstreet was a better back than Charles White. White's ypc was about 5 @ 35 carries a game.

Pruitt's ypc carry was almost 9 in 72.

soonersam
8/16/2006, 12:14 AM
i loved watchin DeMond Parker

TheGodfather889
8/16/2006, 12:21 AM
i loved watchin DeMond Parker
I liked Demond too. He was pretty much the only reason I watched those Blake teams. But when it's all said and done,Adrian Peterson will be considered the greatest runningback to have ever played at Oklahoma.

soonerlaw
8/16/2006, 10:58 AM
AD is probably the best, but Q will always be my favorite.

Oh yeah, does anyone remember "thunder and lightning"? I wonder where they would be on the list...

Desert Sapper
8/17/2006, 01:57 PM
AD is probably the best, but Q will always be my favorite.

Oh yeah, does anyone remember "thunder and lightning"? I wonder where they would be on the list...

If they were one person, you could call them AD.

limey_sooner
8/17/2006, 04:50 PM
My favorite was and always will be Sims. Without question the greatest SHOULD have been Dupree. What a damn waste.

limey_sooner
8/17/2006, 04:53 PM
My favorite was and always will be Sims. Without question the greatest SHOULD have been Dupree. What a waste.

Soonerus
8/17/2006, 09:21 PM
Sims, Pruitt, Washington,Dupree, Carr, King, Ivory, Parker, Q, AD !!!!!!

Desert Sapper
8/18/2006, 12:12 PM
If Dupree wasn't so lazy, he too could have been like AD. Bottom line, when all is said and done, AD will be #1.

Right now, I see it like this (weighing yards, TDs, etc.):

1. Sims
2. Owens
3. Washington
4. Q
5. Pruitt
6. Parker
7. AD
8. Wilson
9. Carr
10. Gaddis
11. Allen
12. King
13. Tillman
14. Dupree
15. Vessels
16. Peacock
17. Moore
18. McDonald
19. George Thomas
20. Buddy Leake

the_ouskull
8/18/2006, 04:33 PM
For those of you who are saying "what might have been" with Dupree... Keep in mind that we are saying what IS with AD. He's better than Dupree. Also, as long as we're doing the "what might have been," let's toss Mike Gaddis into that. I, personally, happen to agree that all of these guys played great, at different times, and they're all great, great players. I mean, Billy vs. AD vs. Q vs. Lil' Joe vs. Greg Pruitt vs. Steve Owens, etc, etc, etc...

Who cares? They're all great, and they're all Sooners. If you want my honest opinion, putting a gun to my head to make me pick, I'm going with AD... especially if he sticks around for his senior season. He's a man amongst boys. So was Billy... but Billy was also considerably older than the boys he was playing against.

the_ouskull

Soonerus
8/18/2006, 04:46 PM
So was Billy... but Billy was also considerably older than the boys he was playing against.

the_ouskull

GOOD ONE !!

soonerjoker
8/19/2006, 10:11 AM
King Crimson

hate to be a "nit-picker".

Pruitts" best year was 71, & he averaged about 9.3 ypc.

in 72, he had injuries.

soonerjoker
8/19/2006, 10:12 AM
yep; Billy was 24 in his last OU season.

25 when he started @ detroit.

GDC
8/20/2006, 03:00 PM
Big dreams: Adrian Peterson
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
8/20/2006

Athletic destiny
OU running back Adrian Peterson showed a bright future in sports from a young age
NORMAN -- They were driving home from a tournament in Texarkana, Texas, Steve Eudey and these five miniature football warriors.

Eudey's team, champions of the Anderson County Football League, were victorious, despite a day of rain that cut short every game and soaked everyone to the bone. On the way back to Palestine, Texas, one kid said his favorite part was that awesome restaurant at which the team ate dinner. Another said he'd always remember the cute girls. Another said he'd never forget the games and, of course, the championship trophy.

Eudey got the attention of his carload of 12-year-olds and made a prediction.

"Guys," Eudey announced, "I have a feeling what you're going to remember about this trip to Texarkana is that you got to play with Adrian Peterson."

As Eudey recalls, his team played the equivalent of a game and a half and Peterson wasn't tackled one time. Peterson won MVP as the Cowboys took home the title.

"They ran him out of bounds, or he slipped a few times, or he would stop and they would gang up on him," Eudey said. "But

I don't remember Adrian ever being tackled."

Today, Adrian Peterson graces the covers of national magazines. His name tops most preseason watch lists for the Heisman and other trophies. He casts fear in defensive coordinators, and raises hairs on the necks of those who follow Peterson's Oklahoma Sooners. Experts speak today of Peterson as college football's most talented running back since Herschel Walker or Bo Jackson or Eric Dickerson in the 1980s. Some even say he might be the best ever.

It was that rainy day in Texarkana that Adrian Peterson, the kid, became Adrian Peterson, the football player. Even now, Peterson himself calls that his best football memory.

"That was kind of the first time that we began to realize he was pretty special," Eudey said. "Because that was against kids we didn't know. We knew he was better than all the kids we had."

Peterson says he started playing football when he was 7 years old. His father, Nelson Peterson, signed him up without even asking if he wanted to play.

"I remember it like yesterday," Peterson said. "I was at my grandmother's house and my dad called. I just happened to answer the phone. He was out of town and was like, 'I want you to tell your mom to get to the athletic complex so you can go sign up for the little league team.' He had already paid for it and everything, and he wanted me to go up there and get my equipment and helmet and see what team I was going to be playing for."

"As a mother, you always have those worries about if he's big enough to play with the bigger boys," said Peterson's mother, Bonita Jackson. "But after a while, when I saw him in practice, I felt a lot more comfortable with him being out there with the other kids."

Today, Peterson is already a Sooner legend. Before his freshman season in 2004, before he took one snap in a crimson jersey, an Internet message board customer proclaimed him as the best running back in OU history. After two seasons and 3,029 career rushing yards, that post now sounds like a Nostradamus quatrain.

"You could tell probably when he was 11 that he probably could have been playing freshman ball," said Carey McKinney, president of the Anderson County Football League and a county judge and Justice of the Peace in Palestine for almost 17 years. "He was big and strong and had a lot of athletic ability."

Peterson recently attended a youth football camp in Palestine, and McKinney said he was "just one of the guys." McKinney said Peterson stressed football to the kids, but also the importance of bearing down in school.

It was school, not pixie linebackers, that finally tackled Peterson. Nelson Peterson, an assistant on his son's team, had always told Adrian that once he got into junior high, grades mattered. No pass, no play.

"He always tried to get me to focus on my books and making good grades and everything, but I kind of took it for granted in my younger days," Peterson said.

Then one fall day in Peterson's fifth-grade year, report cards came home, and the news was grim: Peterson's first F.

"The next Saturday came around, I suited up and I got pumped up and I was ready to go," Peterson said. "I'm on the sideline and didn't get to play. Didn't get to touch the field. He kept me on the sideline and just showed me that's how it was, you get to middle school and you can't play. My dad kept me out the whole game."

Peterson said he stood there on the sideline, his helmet on and chinstrap buckled, crying. He still calls it his worst football memory. This from a guy who in college has had two shoulder dislocations one year and an ankle sprain the next that kept him out of most of four games.

Peterson's mother says her son's decline in school -- academically, socially and athletically -- came during a time of unthinkable family tragedies. A month after Peterson's eighth birthday, he was playing in the[ 4] schoolyard and saw his brother, Brian, 11 months older, struck and killed by a drunken driver. Brian's bike didn't have brakes and he couldn't stop. Adrian was devastated.

"When Brian passed, there was a big part of him that was gone because they did everything together," Jackson said. "A big part of his life was just gone, and that really hurt him bad."

After Bonita and Nelson divorced, she left Palestine for the Dallas suburb of Oak Cliff to be with her sister and two nephews. But when Brian died, she and Adrian went back home to Palestine. There, her son could be closer to his grandmother, as well as his father. But four years later, Adrian Peterson was blindsided once more: Nelson Peterson was arrested for laundering drug money and was sent to federal prison. Jackson said her son became a different person.

"It was like his whole little attitude changed. He struggled," she said. "He'd just lost his brother, then a couple years later, here he is, his dad is no longer there. That would have been hard for anybody, but it was extra hard for him. He struggled grade-wise and he struggled sports-wise, because he couldn't make the grade to play."

Eventually, Peterson was able to talk to his parents about Brian. He accepted his mother's marriage to a local minister, Frankie Jackson. And he eventually made peace with the fact that his father's relationship for the next seven years would be over the telephone or from behind a Plexiglas window. His sullenness retreated, and smiling Adrian slowly returned.

"He has a personality that attracts people. Always has," said Eudey. "From the first day I met him, he's full of life."

After sorting out his emotions and getting hold of his feelings, Peterson found solace and stardom in track and field. As an eighth-grader at West-[ 4] wood Junior High, he routinely won gold in the 100 meters, the 200 meters, the triple jump, the long jump and the 4x100 relay. At his first long jump, during a meet in Elkhart, Texas, he wasn't sure where to plant his final step and still won.

"He dang near jumped clean out of the pit. I guarantee you he could be an Olympic long-jumper if he wasn't a football player," said Eudey, who now lives in Bullard, Texas, and works at Wal-Mart in nearby Tyler. "I think he could be world class in the 200 meters, but his uncles argue with me that he'd be better at the 100."

During Peterson's eighth grade year, Eudey was granted legal guardianship because the family residence was actually in the Palestine district. Later, Jackson got a job with the Westwood district, and Adrian moved back with his mom and stepfather. But when she lost that job, he had to go back to Palestine.

But the legend wasn't ready to take off just yet. Peterson had to sit out his sophomore season because of Texas' transfer rule (he played a few games on the JV and did get to practice). The next year, Jeff Harrell became Palestine's head coach.

"As a JV player," Harrell said, "you never would have known . . . that he was going to be the No. 1 recruit in the country as a senior."

Harrell, now assistant coach at Texas High School in Texarkana, coached track, and in the spring of Peterson's sophomore year said Peterson's 100-meter dash time went from 11.2 to 10.5. He medaled at the state meet with a 10.66. The next fall, as a junior, Peterson rushed for 2,051 yards and 22 touchdowns. His first game, he gained 212 yards. The next, 340. By game four, Texas A&M had a scholarship offer on the table, and the nation's hottest recruit in a decade or more had been found -- by everyone.

"I'd go out to the athletic (complex) and come back," Harrell said, "and half the door would be completely covered with Post-It Notes from different people -- all about Adrian."

Said Eudey, "My cell phone bill ran about $600 a month during that time."

Harrell installed the one-back formation, put Peterson eight yards behind the quarterback, "and the rest is history," Harrell said. As a senior, Peterson gained 2,960 yards and 32 touchdowns and was the consensus No. 1 high school player in the nation. His final game, he gained 350 yards and scored six touchdowns -- and didn't play in the second half.

While Bonita and Frankie Jackson were the steadying influence in Peterson's everyday existence, his father, Nelson, still helped his son see the big picture from behind bars.

"His dad would call me from prison," Harrell said. " 'Stay after him, coach; make sure he does the right thing; make sure he gets his grades.' He was always real positive and real supportive."

Peterson uncommon ability has been attributed to his work ethic. He simply says he has a gift from above. But genetically speaking, he had a head start on the rest of the world. Nelson Peterson was a successful basketball player at Lon Morris College and Southern Idaho and nearly made it to the NBA (a gunshot wound to the leg reportedly ended his chances). Bonita Jackson was a four-time state high school sprint champion and two-time jumps champion at Westwood and went to the University of Houston on a track scholarship.

No surprise, then, that last spring, Peterson posted a team-best time of 4.37 seconds in the 40-yard dash and a vertical jump of 37 inches.

Peterson's support structure is stronger than ever. His mother and stepfather moved to Purcell two years ago to be closer to him. Two younger brothers, teenager Jaylon and baby Frankie Jr., are there. And Nelson was released from the Federal Correctional Institute at Texarkana in December and has since moved to Oklahoma City.

Jackson said all the accolades her son has received are "overwhelming." He finished second in the '04 Heisman voting, higher than any freshman ever had. His 1,925 rushing yards that year were a school record and an NCAA freshman record. Now a junior, he's a preseason All-American for the second year in a row, is a lock to surpass Billy Sims' career OU record of 4,118 rushing yards and is projected to be the first player taken in next year's NFL draft. But Peterson says he isn't tired of college just yet. He's hinted he might stick around for his senior year.

"I'm really proud of what he's done at college because everybody said he'd never be able to do this or that (academically)," Harrell said. "He's overcome almost every one of them. And he's a fine young man, and that's what I'm most proud of. He's a real sweet kid."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DREAM WEAVERS
Adrian Peterson reflects on the people, experiences and dreams that shaped his football career:

Who was the person that encouraged you the most?

My father. Actually, it was during the summer and I remember it like yesterday. I was at my grandmother's house and my dad called. I just happened to answer the phone. He was out of town and was like, 'I want you to tell your mom to get to the athletic complex so you can go sign up for the little league team.' He had already paid for it and everything, and he wanted me to go up there and get my equipment and helmet and see what team I was going to be playing for. I had never played before. I was 7. That's when I first started.

At your darkest moment, did you ever consider quitting football?

Quitting? Well, I wouldn't say that. There were times that you think about it. I wouldn't say just quitting, but there were times when it was hard, and you're like, 'Dang, gotta be out here in this sun all day,' and this and that. Once I started playing, I started getting up for it and it was all good.

What's your best football memory?

My best memory was winning the little series that we played in. Every year we'd go to play teams from Texas or Oklahoma or all around, they'd come down from the tournament. We went there two years in a row, and the first year we lost in the last final game. The second year we went back up there and won it all and I won MVP. That's what I remember a lot.

What's your worst football memory?

It was a game that I was really looking forward to playing, but my dad always preached to me, 'Son, once you get into seventh grade, things change.' He was always telling me, 'No pass, no play.' He always tried to get me to focus on my books and making good grades and everything, but I kind of took it for granted in my younger days. You know, being 7 or 8 -- this was I think my fifth-grade year -- and I failed a class. The next Saturday came around, I suited up and I got pumped up and I was ready to go. I'm on the sideline and didn't get to play. Didn't get to touch the field. He kept me on the sideline and just showed me that's how it was, you get to middle school and you can't play. My dad kept me out the whole game. (Did you cry?) Yes. I love the game, plus it was a rival. So I kind of missed out.

When you were a kid, what was your big dream for life?

Be successful, provide for my family and make sure me and my kids have a better life. Not necessarily better than I had, but an easier life. Just live a good life. And I did, growing up, but easier.

And what's your big dream right now?

Just continue doing what I'm doing. (What about 2,200 yards, a Big 12 championship and a national championship?) You know it. You know it.

Who was the person that helped you the most get to where you are today?

I'd say my mom and my dad. My coach, coach Harrell. When things were rough or whatever, he helped me with a lot of things, too. My coach, Carl Olson, told me to just stay focused and make sure I get my books. He said big things would happen in my life if I took care of what I needed to do..

HarrisTubbsFan
8/22/2006, 01:19 PM
AD may end up in that top category of greatest ever. I think it'll be hard to put him as the best ever though. I would say Little Joe was the best ever. He could do so much and he would make the play when OU most needed it. If OU was televised those 2 seasons he may have won a Heisman. I would rank Billy and Pruitt up there. Then Owens and Vessels. Vessels was so far ahead of his time I may put him a bit above Owens. AD may be in that group after this season. I would probably put guys like Q, DeMond, Tommy McDonald, Clendon Thomas, George Thomas in that next category. The thing that hurts AD is his YPC isn't as good as Pruitt or Sims. Sims averaged like 6.5 yards a carry for his career. Pruitt averaged over 7 I think. But Joe only averaged about 4.5 or so. AD will end up averaging about 5 yards a carry for his career.