PDA

View Full Version : Philly Mick's short game guru Dave Pelz said!

picasso
8/15/2006, 11:00 PM
when Phil is on his game he's the best in the world.
Including Eldrick! Said Phil is flawless from 150 in and has better imagination with the putter and wedge than Tiger.

heh.

King Crimson
8/15/2006, 11:09 PM
he left out the part about driving it off the beer tent on 18 at the US Open.

next time Mickelson beats Eldrick on Sunday at a major will be the first.

picasso
8/15/2006, 11:13 PM
I saw Tiger and Phil's interviews today at PGA practice. of course the media is trying to build a rivalry between them but I get the impression there ain't a lotta love there.
Phil was asked the difference between playing with Tiger and Fred Couples. Phil said "talking."

:pop:

King Crimson
8/15/2006, 11:23 PM
i've read some less than favorable stuff about the Medinah set-up. it's gonna play the longest of any major (longer even than Whistling Straits) and they tinkered with 17 of the 18 holes for the PGA.

Blue
8/15/2006, 11:23 PM
Maybe Phil should do a little less talking and awkwardly fake smiling and he might be able to compete with the greatest golfer ever.

Phil is not even close to Tiger IMO.

King Crimson
8/16/2006, 12:57 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-pga15.html

"At least they haven't heard much in the way of criticism of the layout that will host the year's last major championship beginning on Thursday. There has been some, though. The most noteworthy came from Golfweek magazine's architecture critic, Bradley S. Klein, who called the course ''a joyless grind'' and opined:

''For [those] who are keen on strategic variety and a nuanced aesthetic of vistas and playing textures, there is no more boring example of architecture in America than this long parkland layout.'' Klein gave the course a 6.5 overall rating on a 10-point scale.

Then there was Geoff Shackelford, a well-known author on golf architecture, who called the new Medinah ''not very inspiring.''

''It's just a long, difficult, rather relentless course that doesn't require much finesse or shot-making,'' he said on his Web site. ''It's a course people like for majors, but I don't know why people would want to play it more than a couple of times.''

OU4LIFE
8/16/2006, 05:46 AM
Flawless from 150 and in? Not.

More imagination with the putter? Only if you imagine missing a sh!tload of 3 footers.

More imagination with the wedge, totally agree. Not a better wedge player in the game today than Phil.

I like Phil as much as anybody, and when his game is on, he's pretty incredible. BUT, if Tiger is on AND phil is on...I'm picking Tiger 9 out of 10 times, and not because of the skill set....he's just MUCH stronger mentally.

C&CDean
8/16/2006, 07:48 AM
What hairy said. If Phil could make more of those 3-8 footers, he'd have a half-dozen more majors under his belt.

And I'm surprised nobody has pulled the racist card out yet. I mean there's gotta be a race angle here doesn't there. sanantoniosooner?

OU4LIFE
8/16/2006, 07:54 AM
Yeah! Death to the honkeys!

tbl
8/16/2006, 08:15 AM
I mean seriously... the guy can't even hit a hole in one with a 6 iron.

Plus he has mits (or moobs if you don't like the "T" word).

picasso
8/16/2006, 08:53 AM
I mean seriously... the guy can't even hit a hole in one with a 6 iron.

Plus he has mits (or moobs if you don't like the "T" word).
he couldn't carry a 1 at Perkins. that's for sure.

Perhaps Pelz is just trying to pump Phil up. sad if so.
Mick no doubt has an amazing wedge game but Eldrick's isn't that far off.

Do you all remember when Phil wasn't a long hitter? wasn't that long ago.

pgagolfpro77
8/16/2006, 11:26 AM
Well, Peltz is on Micks payroll, so it makes sense that he call him the best ever.

Phil pays Peltz to help him with his short game, and has done so since about 3 months before winning the Masters for the first time (and his first major following 10 years of golf, and coming on to the scene as "The Next Nicklaus.")

:pop:

sooneron
8/16/2006, 11:32 AM
I'm interested to see Medinah this wknd.

Did I mention that I'll be playing WINGED FOOT in the Fall? :D

pgagolfpro77
8/16/2006, 11:36 AM
I'm interested to see Medinah this wknd.

Same. Thank god for golf while there is no football.

Did I mention that I'll be playing WINGED FOOT in the Fall? :D

Most excellent. You should let us know how it goes.

And be sure to rate the Bev Girls....:D

sooneron
8/16/2006, 12:06 PM
I just hope it's the west course. I already played the east. :texan:

King Crimson
8/16/2006, 12:14 PM
get ready to see Sergio's shot off the tree trunk and hippity hoppity number in 99 about 10 brazillion times on the weekend network coverage.

sooneron
8/16/2006, 12:34 PM
get ready to see Sergio's shot off the tree trunk and hippity hoppity number in 99 about 10 brazillion times on the weekend network coverage.

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/6725/medinahcopyos2.jpg

sooneron
8/16/2006, 12:35 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-pga15.html

"At least they haven't heard much in the way of criticism of the layout that will host the year's last major championship beginning on Thursday. There has been some, though. The most noteworthy came from Golfweek magazine's architecture critic, Bradley S. Klein, who called the course ''a joyless grind'' and opined:

''For [those] who are keen on strategic variety and a nuanced aesthetic of vistas and playing textures, there is no more boring example of architecture in America than this long parkland layout.'' Klein gave the course a 6.5 overall rating on a 10-point scale.

Then there was Geoff Shackelford, a well-known author on golf architecture, who called the new Medinah ''not very inspiring.''

''It's just a long, difficult, rather relentless course that doesn't require much finesse or shot-making,'' he said on his Web site. ''It's a course people like for majors, but I don't know why people would want to play it more than a couple of times.''
Pat will love it!:texan:

King Crimson
8/16/2006, 12:49 PM
http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/6725/medinahcopyos2.jpg

LOL.