PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated Has OU Ranked #14

SoonerFan80
8/15/2006, 09:51 PM
Just another example of how the media is making WAY TOO BIG of a deal of Bomar not being with OU anymore and not giving Paul Thompson enough credit for the caliber of player/athlete he is.

sooneron
8/15/2006, 09:58 PM
Uh, Ok.

goingoneight
8/15/2006, 09:59 PM
Sounds about right to me... No one at this point knows what to expect from OU this fall other than better in certain areas than last year and a good D. I would have guessed 10-15, too.

The Maestro
8/15/2006, 10:07 PM
Let's be honest...we all see things through OU colored glasses, for a lack of a better term. All the national media has to base their opinions of PT on is the TCU game last year. It wasn't pretty...whether it was his fault, Chuck Long's fault, the O-line's fault, etc. PT will have to prove himself to the national media before they start to buy into the OU bandwagon. I can completely understand that.

opksooner
8/15/2006, 10:16 PM
Realistic rating or not, it takes some pressure off of being really highly rated.......for the time being.

King Crimson
8/15/2006, 10:20 PM
until PT shows he can make a play/throw on 3rd and 8....i think that's about right.

badger
8/15/2006, 10:29 PM
rank us what you will, but it is all apparent to us who should be ranked number soONErs.
:D

Blue
8/15/2006, 10:43 PM
I think 14 is generous right about now.

FaninAma
8/15/2006, 11:00 PM
I think 14 is generous right about now.

9-3 will about equal out to a 14th to 18th place finish. Our defense and running game should be able to get to that record. Anything else is going to take an improvement at the QB position over what was on display at the scrimmage or a master offensive gameplan from Wilson. Maybe Huepel can perform a Vulcan mind meld with PT.

Rhino
8/15/2006, 11:08 PM
Let be honest, we were fringe top 10 even with Bomar on our team.

Readyfor8
8/15/2006, 11:35 PM
Last time we were ranked out of the top 10 in preseason? 2000 right?

Desert Sapper
8/15/2006, 11:50 PM
Last time we were ranked out of the top 10 in preseason? 2000 right?

This is all shaping up very well. I hope they drop us down to 20 before September rolls around.

westcoast_sooner
8/16/2006, 12:09 AM
I think we were around 18 in 2000, and ran the table. I'm not too worried about the rankings at this point. Sure, we went from having a QB that had played well last year to having some question marks in that area, but we still have one of the best Ds in the land, we have AD, we have a lot going for us. The truth is, we just need to go out and do it on the field.

soonersam
8/16/2006, 12:15 AM
win at oregon and were back in the top 5

Desert Sapper
8/16/2006, 12:17 AM
win at oregon and were back in the top 5

Then if Tejas beats tosu and we beat Tejas, it's #1, baby.

okieballin
8/16/2006, 01:40 AM
its all good. i prefer to see OU playing with a chip on their shoulder.

Dr. Jelly Finger
8/16/2006, 08:14 AM
I agree that this is good for the team. No expectations from the media means that the team can forget about #8 for right now and focus on UAB.

The more that I think about it, the more this team shapes up like the 2002 team that won the Rose Bowl. We had a great opportunity to be undefeated that year with an average offense and a stellar defense. QB play was shaky, we had a great TE and a shifty little RB in Griffin. We have enough weapons to get this thing done.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/16/2006, 08:21 AM
14? Sounds good. Let's see if we can win some games now.

william_brasky
8/16/2006, 09:51 AM
pre-season rankings are very important.

Widescreen
8/16/2006, 10:05 AM
I don't have a problem with #14 other than it hurts a little compared to where we usually are. Seems pretty accurate given some of our questionmarks.

sooneron
8/16/2006, 10:48 AM
I agree that this is good for the team. No expectations from the media means that the team can forget about #8 for right now and focus on UAB.

The more that I think about it, the more this team shapes up like the 2002 team that won the Rose Bowl. We had a great opportunity to be undefeated that year with an average offense and a stellar defense. QB play was shaky, we had a great TE and a shifty little RB in Griffin. We have enough weapons to get this thing done.
Uh no. We lost two games b/c we bit on the play fake and summarily had an average of 34 points scored on us in those games. Maybe if we had an excellent qb, we would have won, but N8 was good to manageable, but not excellent. Expecting more than 5 tds on the road in each game against two opponents that wanted us bad is asking a lot.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/16/2006, 11:58 AM
Uh no. We lost two games b/c we bit on the play fake and summarily had an average of 34 points scored on us in those games. Maybe if we had an excellent qb, we would have won, but N8 was good to manageable, but not excellent. Expecting more than 5 tds on the road in each game against two opponents that wanted us bad is asking a lot.

Damnit! Will you stop picking on Nate and place the blame squarly on Everage, where it belongs? Harumph.

toast
8/16/2006, 12:14 PM
2002 was all TGRW's fault, and that's all I have to say about that...

the pre-season ranking of #14 doesn't bother me at all.

sooneron
8/16/2006, 12:20 PM
Damnit! Will you stop picking on Nate and place the blame squarly on Everage, where it belongs? Harumph.
I actually think it was more on Bassey being shoe horned into the Safety position.

The Consumate Showman
8/16/2006, 12:21 PM
I would like to see the inside of the OU locker room. I bet that Stoops and Co. have all of this negative media bullsh!t on bulletin boards all around that room to constantly remind them that, "Hey guys...everyone across the country thinks you CAN'T do this. Let's go prove 'em WRONG!!!!!!!" Maybe he should get on some of the message boards and take some of the posters comments that people have been posting around here and other places and put them on there, too. I'm not saying we're going to the NC, but I DO think we will win the Big XII (and that has been my prediction even when we had Bomargate).

The Consumate Showman
8/16/2006, 12:23 PM
I actually think it was more on Bassey being shoe horned into the Safety position.

Amen.

I think the expectation of Bassey to become TGRW was totally retarded! TGRW is a once in a lifetime player. Bassey was good, but he was NEVER going to be that good....

Wishboned
8/16/2006, 05:09 PM
I would like to see the inside of the OU locker room. I bet that Stoops and Co. have all of this negative media bullsh!t on bulletin boards all around that room to constantly remind them that, "Hey guys...everyone across the country thinks you CAN'T do this. Let's go prove 'em WRONG!!!!!!!" Maybe he should get on some of the message boards and take some of the posters comments that people have been posting around here and other places and put them on there, too. I'm not saying we're going to the NC, but I DO think we will win the Big XII (and that has been my prediction even when we had Bomargate).

I think that plays right into Stoops feelings that this team was starting to think it was entitled to all the hype. Now he's working on stripping them all bare and making them realize they have to earn it.

Stitch Face
8/16/2006, 05:14 PM
I would like to see the inside of the OU locker room.

Keep it to yourself, Nancy.

NormanOU
8/16/2006, 08:28 PM
I love having a chip on my shoulder. Ex. 2000 National Championship team.

Stoop Dawg
8/16/2006, 11:52 PM
All of the rational posting in this thread weirds me out a little. I'm heading back over to the SO where things don't make quite as much sense.

The Consumate Showman
8/17/2006, 12:33 PM
Keep it to yourself, Nancy.

Yes, Natalie.

OK2LA
8/17/2006, 02:31 PM
I love having a chip on my shoulder. Ex. 2000 National Championship team.

Kinda like that dude from those EverReady commercials back in the day . . .

I think that dude was on Ba Ba Blacksheep - Blast from the Past?

OK2LA
8/17/2006, 02:32 PM
Let be honest, we were fringe top 10 even with Bomar on our team.

Yup - I'd buy that for a dollar.

aubie513
8/17/2006, 03:01 PM
Pre-season rankings are very important. Look at what happened to Auburn in '04 when you guys embarrassed the rest of the college football world against USC!!!

gnostic19
8/17/2006, 03:09 PM
until PT shows he can make a play/throw on 3rd and 8....i think that's about right.

$$$

gnostic19
8/17/2006, 03:10 PM

message board crap only goes so far.

sooneron
8/17/2006, 03:20 PM
First a vol last week, now we have barner trash. This board is heading for the ****ter.

sooneron
8/17/2006, 03:23 PM
Kinda like that dude from those EverReady commercials back in the day . . .

I think that dude was on Ba Ba Blacksheep - Blast from the Past?
Robert Conrad

http://www.lequotidienducinema.com/seriestv/robertconrad/sloane.jpg

Texas Golfer
8/17/2006, 04:03 PM
Whomever can't understand why the #14 isn't being totally honest with themselves.