PDA

View Full Version : The latest Nickelback song...

sooneron
8/15/2006, 08:34 PM
Just heard it-
check it out for yourself.

http://www.sounddogs.com/previews/2107/mp3/320890_SOUNDDOGS_CH.mp3

hurricane'bone
8/15/2006, 08:52 PM
no thanks.

sooneron
8/15/2006, 08:53 PM
And yes, those were nails on a chalkboard.

royalfan5
8/15/2006, 08:57 PM
Nickleback is the best argument for tightening the border with Canada

Oldnslo
8/15/2006, 09:00 PM
I remember the mid-to-late 1970's, when music succed so hard that the Beaver Brown Band had a hit.

Tom Petty... f'n lame-o Tom Petty almost singlehandedly brought back rock. Just by not succing quite as hard as everything else.

These days remind me of the mid-to-late 1970's. And I'm waiting for the Next Tom Petty. 'cause it sure ain't Nickelback.

Dude sounds like he records his voice tracks during only unsuccessful struggles on the toilet.

sooneron
8/15/2006, 09:03 PM
I remember the mid-to-late 1970's, when music succed so hard that the Beaver Brown Band had a hit.

Tom Petty... f'n lame-o Tom Petty almost singlehandedly brought back rock. Just by not succing quite as hard as everything else.

These days remind me of the mid-to-late 1970's. And I'm waiting for the Next Tom Petty. 'cause it sure ain't Nickelback.

Dude sounds like he records his voice tracks during only unsuccessful struggles on the toilet.
You got lucky babe!

When I found you

sooneron
8/15/2006, 09:16 PM

Actually, I disagree a little. I think the difference these days is that radio is all owned by one company and they want to force feed us what the bottom line dictates. The interesting thing is, for all the heat it took, MTV shook **** up. Was it always for the best? (Wham, Kajagoogoo, Whitesnake) Of course not, but they at least tried to bring attention to different bands - REM, U2, Pixies, etc. Why there isn't a solid replacement for 120 minutes or other early programming is beyond me, as I watch the Alternative on Vh1 classic. Another problem is, radio is pretty much dead. Which is bad b/c it means that college radio is dead. I don't think that is a good thing.

Another case in point. I can remember when SNL had Elvis Costello, The Stones, Joni Mitchell and weird art bands like Talking Heads and DEVO on the show. They were booking groups that were interesting and these bands gained popularity b/c of it. Is Michaels totally out of touch or is he strong armed by upper management so that they can cross promote the latest Jessica comeback concert? I bet it's the latter. My hope is, some kids a hundred years from now may re-discover this thing called radio and start transmitting what they like to hear and kids will be trying to jerry rig stuff to hear it. Their ipods or whatever be damned.

royalfan5
8/15/2006, 09:20 PM
Actually, I disagree a little. I think the difference these days is that radio is all owned by one company and they want to force feed us what the bottom line dictates. The interesting thing is, for all the heat it took, MTV shook **** up. Was it always for the best? (Wham, Kajagoogoo, Whitesnake) Of course not, but they at least tried to bring attention to different bands - REM, U2, Pixies, etc. Why there isn't a solid replacement for 120 minutes or other early programming is beyond me, as I watch the Alternative on Vh1 classic. Another problem is, radio is pretty much dead. Which is bad b/c it means that college radio is dead. I don't think that is a good thing.

Another case in point. I can remember when SNL had Elvis Costello, The Stones, Joni Mitchell and weird art bands like Talking Heads and DEVO on the show. They were booking groups that were interesting and these bands gained popularity b/c of it. Is Michaels totally out of touch or is he strong armed by upper management so that they can cross promote the latest Jessica comeback concert? I bet it's the latter. My hope is, some kids a hundred years from now may re-discover this thing called radio and start transmitting what they like to hear and kids will be trying to jerry rig stuff to hear it. Their ipods or whatever be damned.

There is always myspace for new music.

C&CDean
8/15/2006, 09:33 PM
And here I thought this was a Bruce thread.

proud gonzo
8/16/2006, 12:23 AM
Actually, I disagree a little. I think the difference these days is that radio is all owned by one company and they want to force feed us what the bottom line dictates. The interesting thing is, for all the heat it took, MTV shook **** up.
actually, there are four or five (EMI Music, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group...). and while you're partly correct, the major labels pick what they think is promising for popularity and profit, independent labels (about 5000 of them) make up about 1/6 of the total market and the major labels generally depend on these indies to discover new local talent and trends. Of course, most independent labels sell out to major labels as soon as they become successful.

And as far as RADIO goes, the FCC does *sorta* control stuff, but it's mostly to regulate what frequencies are used for what function. It also used to control the number of stations a single company could own but since the 1996 Telecommunications Act, the FCC eliminated most ownership restrictions. Technically the airwaves are owned by the public.

BigRedJed
8/16/2006, 12:40 AM
...These days remind me of the mid-to-late 1970's. And I'm waiting for the Next Tom Petty. 'cause it sure ain't Nickelback...
Quit listening to the radio, then. If you're waiting for the next Tom Petty, youre setting the bar pretty low, and you'll probably still not hear anything worth listening to. Some of the best music in the past 35 years is being made today. Listen to indie music. Satellite radio, Internet radio, iTunes, the WAYLT thread...

Try this first: http://www.kcrw.com/music/ (http://www.kcrw.com/music/) . YWIA.

King Crimson
8/16/2006, 12:41 AM
And as far as RADIO goes, the FCC does *sorta* control stuff, but it's mostly to regulate what frequencies are used for what function. It also used to control the number of stations a single company could own but since the 1996 Telecommunications Act, the FCC eliminated most ownership restrictions. Technically the airwaves are owned by the public.

yes, the 1934 communications act states that the electromagnetic spectrum is a public resource.