PDA

View Full Version : Liver and Onions

IB4OU2
8/15/2006, 04:27 PM
Talking about Chicken Fried steak in another thread made me remember the liver and onions I used to eat as a Hillbilly boy. Did any of you ever have them? did you like them? My wife makes them and they're pretty good.

Mjcpr
8/15/2006, 04:28 PM
That's old people food not hillbilly food.

:D

Boarder
8/15/2006, 04:29 PM
Thankfully I've been massively blessed enough by the Lord to never have been that hungry.

Petro-Sooner
8/15/2006, 04:29 PM
I think I've had liver when I was real young. No thank you. But what do I know, I'm just a kid. :D

Harry Beanbag
8/15/2006, 04:30 PM
There is no reason to eat that.

IB4OU2
8/15/2006, 04:31 PM
That's old people food not hillbilly food.

:D

Hush and take the pole.....:D

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/15/2006, 04:38 PM
Does it taste anything like fried chicken livers?

I'm serious here.

Beef
8/15/2006, 04:39 PM
Hush and take the pole.....:D
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Howzit
8/15/2006, 04:40 PM

I'm serious here.

No. I loves me some fried chicken livers. Liver and onions.....<shudder>

crawfish
8/15/2006, 04:40 PM
My grandpa loved 'em, and so did my mom. My dad hated 'em so much that my mom never made us kids eat them.

IB4OU2
8/15/2006, 04:44 PM

I'm serious here.

If they're cooked right they're just as good. They may have more of a gizzardy texture with more of a livery taste though......:D

Mjcpr
8/15/2006, 04:48 PM
If they're cooked right they're just as good. They may have more of a gizzardy texture with more of a livery taste though......:D

Wow, that's really making my mouth water....with puke.

Harry Beanbag
8/15/2006, 04:48 PM
They may have more of a gizzardy texture with more of a livery taste though......:D

Mmm mmm good. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-007.gif

TopDaugIn2000
8/15/2006, 04:50 PM
No. I loves me some fried chicken livers. Liver and onions.....<shudder>

word

Jimminy Crimson
8/15/2006, 04:50 PM
My dog likes to eat lung filets and calf snouts.

Are they anything like that?

GottaHavePride
8/15/2006, 04:52 PM
Never had it, never plan to.

IB4OU2
8/15/2006, 04:52 PM
My dog likes to eat lung filets and calf snouts.

Are they anything like that?

They're probably not as good as the calf snouts...........

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/15/2006, 05:04 PM
Wow, that's really making my mouth water....with puke.

Oh, Pat....

BudSooner
8/15/2006, 05:18 PM
uh,no.

PhilTLL
8/15/2006, 05:20 PM
That's, um...no.

Mjcpr
8/15/2006, 05:23 PM
Vile organ.

BigRedJed
8/15/2006, 05:24 PM
Sherri's Diner down around SW 59th and Walker has some AMAZING liver and onions. Or at least they did around 15 years ago when I used to eat there from time to time. I guess that's not too helpful. But it was good, trust me.

I might have to go back down there and have some now that this thread reminded me of how good it was.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/15/2006, 05:25 PM
Where's the 'I don't know because I've never eaten it' option?

But I'll be an old people soon so I'll just wait and vote then.

KC//CRIMSON
8/15/2006, 05:45 PM
Very good. But you have to know EXACTLY how to cook them.

IB4OU2
8/15/2006, 06:24 PM

Oh you have along ways to go before your old, so you might as well try them some time. Try Jed's place "Sheri's diner.....I'll bet they're good.

IB4OU2
8/15/2006, 06:25 PM

This is very true, my wife knows the secret.

BigRedJed
8/15/2006, 06:26 PM
Linky (http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&q=sherri%27s+diner&near=Oklahoma+City,+OK&cid=0,0,18225706382304972724&ll=35.406221,-97.525785&spn=0,.02&sa=X&oi=local&ct=image)

BudSooner
8/15/2006, 06:39 PM
Season with lots and lots and lots of salt and pepper, add a smidgen of steak sauce and tobasco.....and toss it in the garbage.
my recipe. ;)

olevetonahill
8/15/2006, 06:44 PM
This thread done made me hungry
I have most of a deer liver in my frezzer . Think Ill go home and fry me some up in Bacon grease :cool:

critical_phil
8/15/2006, 06:48 PM
in addition to Momma made me eat them, i would've also voted for Uncle Sam made me eat them....

Mjcpr
8/15/2006, 07:17 PM

Do you like blood? And iron? Because that's what liver tastes like.

C&CDean
8/15/2006, 07:32 PM
Uh, hello?

I am the absolute authority on this dish. Growing up, my momma cooked guts pretty much 2-3 nights a week - every week.

Here's the dealio:

When I ran my afternoon paper route, I judged supper by the smell/s on the carport when I pulled my Schwinn back up on the concrete. When momma cooked fish, I could smell it a half-mile away. NASTY. When momma cooked chicken, chicken fry, veal cutlets, pork chops, pork tenderloins, meatloaf, pot roast, and hamburgers I could smell them a mile away. DELISH.

When momma cooked liver and onions, I could smell them anywhere on my paper route. And always, ALWAYS, I retched. Who in the name of Judas H. Priest in a sack of intestines and tripe thought of eating a gawdammned liver? Seriously, it's the guts of the guts. It's a **** filter. It's filth. I'd rather eat the ******* out of a hemmorohdial hippo than eat the guts of a bovine.

Friends do not let friends eat liver.

AlbqSooner
8/15/2006, 07:33 PM
Bingo! If they have a gizzardy texture they ain't done right. I love liver and onions, but not a dish you want to eat every week.

OUDoc
8/15/2006, 07:42 PM
And I figured Dean would make fun of people who cook them first. Live and learn. :D

afs
8/15/2006, 07:43 PM
your mom likes liver

Harry Beanbag
8/15/2006, 07:46 PM
I hear it's good with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

BoogercountySooner
8/15/2006, 07:47 PM
IB remember when Momma fed us boiled cow tongue sandwiches they were so good!:) :)

OklahomaRed
8/15/2006, 09:03 PM
Next you'll be eatin' brains! In all actuality, I used to like liver & onions if it was cooked right. Then I went through Human Phys I and Applied Therapeutics and discovered (like Dean said) it's the frickin' filter of everything nasty. Nothin' more than eatin' stored waste and fat. Why do you think it's so high in iron? :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/15/2006, 09:07 PM
I don't eat organ meat. So I'm gonna have to give a resounding NO to liver and onions.

C&CDean
8/15/2006, 09:10 PM
Next you'll be eatin' brains! In all actuality, I used to like liver & onions if it was cooked right. Then I went through Human Phys I and Applied Therapeutics and discovered (like Dean said) it's the frickin' filter of everything nasty. Nothin' more than eatin' stored waste and fat. Why do you think it's so high in iron? :D

Oh yeah. The other couple nights a week it was brains and lengua (tongue).

Mom used to fry calf brains with eggs, hominy, and buttermilk pancakes on the side at least once a week. I've probably eaten 100 pounds of brains in my life. However, never again. No guts. Period. I do miss me some hominy though.

royalfan5
8/15/2006, 09:12 PM
Oh yeah. The other couple nights a week it was brains and lengua (tongue).

Mom used to fry calf brains with eggs, hominy, and buttermilk pancakes on the side at least once a week. I've probably eaten 100 pounds of brains in my life. However, never again. No guts. Period. I do miss me some hominy though.
Hominy is wonderful. Tongue is okay, as is heart. I'm only a fan of liver when involved in Braunschwager.

olevetonahill
8/15/2006, 09:16 PM
Just eat Grits and eggs then :)

C&CDean
8/15/2006, 09:17 PM
Just eat Grits and eggs then :)

Oh but I do. Momma cooks me up some grits and eggs (with chunks of bacon or sausage) on a fairly regular basis. Minus the brains, of course.

olevetonahill
8/15/2006, 09:26 PM
Oh but I do. Momma cooks me up some grits and eggs (with chunks of bacon or sausage) on a fairly regular basis. Minus the brains, of course.
I knew we had a few things in common ;)
I do like me some grits and a whole sittin of chicken eggs . With some kind of side meat :D

LoyalFan
8/15/2006, 09:56 PM
Calf liver sauteed until still pink n' joo-say, avec mashed taters y purple hull peas and some fried okra...cornbread or bizkits...Mmmmmmm, mmmmmm, mmm!
Also: chikken libbers crisply deep fried with other fixin's as above OR on a skewer, wrapped in bacon, alternated with shrimp...OMG!
Young deer liver as in Item One.
And...Tomalley...that's the orange stuff in the thorax of a lobster, crawdad, etc. It's the their version of a liver and it's delish if used in certain ways. Hey! Whyduhya think yer s'posed the suck the head of dem crawdads after you snap off the tail?

Good eats! and only enough fat and cholesterol in one generous serving to kill a herd of gnu.

Damn! Now I gotta order pizza! Hungoooorr gnaws at me and I'm sick of rabbit food and cottage chizz. (Do they offer Liver n' Unyun peetzer?)

Droolingly yours,

LoyalFan

soonerbrat
8/15/2006, 10:01 PM
The liver is the toxic waste dump of the body. I have no idea why anyone in his or her right mind would ever eat a toxic waste dump.

noleamite
8/15/2006, 10:02 PM
ick...leaves a terrible after taste

LoyalFan
8/15/2006, 10:07 PM

Well, try eating some nice liver instead of Ick!

Geez!

LF

whatsername
8/15/2006, 10:16 PM
I do miss me some hominy though.
Mmmmm..... hominy!

I will pass on the livers tho. Even if I had ever considered eating some, you all have changed my mind.

soonerbrat
8/15/2006, 10:18 PM
hominy? corn soaked in LYE?

gross.

soonerbrat
8/15/2006, 10:19 PM

the terrible aftertaste is toxins that have been digested.

royalfan5
8/15/2006, 10:34 PM
hominy? corn soaked in LYE?

gross.
communist.

olevetonahill
8/15/2006, 10:35 PM
The liver is the toxic waste dump of the body. I have no idea why anyone in his or her right mind would ever eat a toxic waste dump.
Cause if cooked rite ITS Dayum good :cool:

soonerbrat
8/15/2006, 10:46 PM
TOXIC WASTE IS NOT GOOD OR GOOD FOR YOU. PERIOD.

;)

proud gonzo
8/15/2006, 11:03 PM
Never had it, never plan to.

ditto.

where's that puking smiley? (and can you honestly call it a "smiley" if it's puking? :confused: )

BigRedJed
8/16/2006, 12:43 AM
Well, you people can all suck it, 'cause I likes me some liver.

IB4OU2
8/16/2006, 09:07 AM
Well, you people can all suck it, 'cause I likes me some liver.

Same here!

and it's a good source of iron for the ladies.....and if you can eat chicken livers (talk about a nasty organ from a nasty animal) you can eat calf livers.

C&CDean
8/16/2006, 09:19 AM
If God intended for us to eat guts, he wouldn't have put all that tenderloin, back straps, ribs, roasts, and steaks all around them. There's just way too much GOOD meat on an animal to have to settle for eating his entrails.

walkoffsooner
8/16/2006, 09:28 AM
Love em tastes like kidney

IB4OU2
8/16/2006, 09:36 AM
If God intended for us to eat guts, he wouldn't have put all that tenderloin, back straps, ribs, roasts, and steaks all around them. There's just way too much GOOD meat on an animal to have to settle for eating his entrails.

Buddy, I'll never pass up a steak or any other choice cut meat over liver, but I have to eat me some liver occasionally.

C&CDean
8/16/2006, 09:45 AM
Buddy, I'll never pass up a steak or any other choice cut meat over liver, but I have to eat me some liver occasionally.

If by "occasionally" you mean "if I'm ****ing starving to death and have no choice" then I completely agree.:D

IB4OU2
8/16/2006, 09:48 AM
If by "occasionally" you mean "if I'm ****ing starving to death and have no choice" then I completely agree.:D

Don't you eat the deer/elk liver or heart for dinner on the night after your kill?...I do. ;)

C&CDean
8/16/2006, 09:50 AM
Don't you eat the deer/elk liver or heart for dinner on the night after your kill?...I do. ;)

Hell no. Coyotes gotta eat too you know. And a good sized bull elk liver has to weigh 25 pounds. I ain't eating .25 ounces of that crap, let alone 25 lbs.

You can have it all. Heart too.

soonerbrat
8/16/2006, 11:47 AM
Same here!

and it's a good source of iron for the ladies.....and if you can eat chicken livers (talk about a nasty organ from a nasty animal) you can eat calf livers.

spinach is a good source of iron, too. so is cooking in a cast-iron skillet. I'll stick to those sources of iron, thank you.

GDC
8/16/2006, 12:38 PM
There's only two things I won't eat; liver, and stewed tomatoes with okra.

proud gonzo
8/16/2006, 02:27 PM
you'll eat a brain sandwich?

http://www.dahtcom.com/Roger/brain_sandwich.gif

Pricetag
8/16/2006, 03:12 PM
Do you like blood? And iron? Because that's what liver tastes like.
Don't forget the mealy texture. The mealy texture is what really does it for me.

My mom swears I liked liver up until I went to school and was told that it was bad. She's probably right, because I used to eat liverwurst like it was going out of style until I had to eat regular liver one time. Now I can't eat it. I guess I didn't realize it tasted like liver until I had real liver.

Mjcpr
8/16/2006, 03:14 PM
Don't forget the mealy texture. The mealy texture is what really does it for me.

I didn't forget.....I just couldn't think of an apt description.

Mealy does quite nicely, thanks. :D

GDC
8/16/2006, 03:59 PM

Yes, I'll even eat haggis.

Harry Beanbag
8/16/2006, 04:25 PM

http://www.bookbugs.us/blog/wp-images/smilies/icon_vomit.gifhttp://www.computerforum.de/images/smilies/vomit.gifhttp://www.x-plane.ch/gif/kotz.gif (http://www.x-plane.ch/gif/kotz.gif)http://www.mommiescamelot.com/forum/images/smilies/vomit.gifhttp://www.club2share.com/forums/images/smilies/newsmile/Vomit.gifhttp://www.burnyourears.de/images/main/smilies/vomit.gif

toast
8/16/2006, 04:52 PM

Alton ate this on his new show, Feasting on Asphalt, a couple of weeks ago. Personally, I could use all the brain cells I can get.

proud gonzo
8/16/2006, 05:10 PM
damn, that was my next suggestion.

LoyalFan
8/16/2006, 06:19 PM
damn, that was my next suggestion.

Peege! Where in Hell did you get that "snip-snip" line?
Gave me the bloomin' shivers, y'did! Jeebus!
Howzabout something a little lighter, like "Have a nice day" or "Take me NOW, LoyalFan, my beloved studmuffin!"?

LF
Still seeking his steel Fruit Of The Looms(TM)

SoonerInKCMO
8/16/2006, 08:58 PM

I like haggis. Really. Knew a guy in Tulsa that hosted Burns night parties every year and had a bunch of haggis... I ate that **** up.

Won't touch liver though. Or tongue. No chitterlings. To hell with lutefisk. Most seafood makes me want to hurl. Never tried brains or testes - don't plan to either. I'm good with pretty much everything else.