PDA

View Full Version : Bomar Was Nothing More Than The Great White Hype.

FaninAma
8/15/2006, 02:43 PM
Agree or disagree with the premise?

ousoonerfan
8/15/2006, 02:46 PM
Who?

BlackShirtBeast
8/15/2006, 02:48 PM

pgagolfpro77
8/15/2006, 02:48 PM
Who?

HAHA!

Wasnt Birdine saying something like this the other day??

BlackShirtBeast
8/15/2006, 02:49 PM
dude, let it go. Theres been way to many bomar threads

FaninAma
8/15/2006, 02:54 PM
dude, let it go. Theres been way to many bomar threads

I read your first post. Just a little heads up: if the title of the thread doesn't appeal to you then
Don't click on it!!!

The thread isn't about Bomar. It's about something else that caught my eye regarding the statement Birdine made...as pga noted. Was Bomar starting because he was white?

fadada1
8/15/2006, 02:55 PM
doesn't matter what color he is/was... he's still a dumbass.

Pricetag
8/15/2006, 02:56 PM
The thread isn't about Bomar. It's about something else that caught my eye regarding the statement Birdine made...as pga noted. Was Bomar starting because he was white?
Hell no. He was starting because he was young.

I didn't think much of Birdine's verbage in that quote. It made him seem racist.

FaninAma
8/15/2006, 02:57 PM

I didn't think much of Birdine's verbage in that quote. It made him seem racist.

But, is it just a case of Birdine mouthing off or were his sentiments shared by others on the team?

Beef
8/15/2006, 02:59 PM
He is white.

leavingthezoo
8/15/2006, 03:01 PM
well, let's see. he's white. there was a lot of premature hype. it exceeded "big" hype, so i guess that makes it great.

leavingthezoo
8/15/2006, 03:02 PM
hmmm. beef beat me to it.

i think he's the great beef hype, btw. :D

sooneron
8/15/2006, 03:09 PM
No matter where he ends up, I'll always pull for him.

not

Pricetag
8/15/2006, 03:13 PM
But, is it just a case of Birdine mouthing off or were his sentiments shared by others on the team?
I think there's a decent chance that they were shared by some on the team.

I think it would have been fairly easy to jump to a conclusion like that out of frustration when one guy is well respected, has put his time in, and then doesn't seem to get a fair chance.

FaninAma
8/15/2006, 03:19 PM
well, let's see. he's white. there was a lot of premature hype. it exceeded "big" hype, so i guess that makes it great.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a casual observer of the Sooner football program to think that the statement indicates that at least Birdine felt race had somethng to do with Bomar being named the first team QB.

I also think that to the casual observer that the statement may indicate that Birdine really doesn't think too much before he pops off as witnessed by some of his statements in the past.

FaninAma
8/15/2006, 03:26 PM
I think there's a decent chance that they were shared by some on the team.

I think it would have been fairly easy to jump to a conclusion like that out of frustration when one guy is well respected, has put his time in, and then doesn't seem to get a fair chance.

Even though 18 of the 21(86%) other starters were black? Do the players who might feel this way really think that race played any decision in who started at QB? I don't. And I don't think race played any part in deciding which players started in the other 21 positions on offense and defense. I have always felt Stoops played the best player based on performance and personal character.

It bothers me though that this statement came out of the mouth of one of the current players. If it's an isolated sentiment then no big deal. If the sentiment was widespread then there is a problem, IMO.

I just thought it was a strange thing for Birdine to say.

Taxman71
8/15/2006, 04:07 PM
The race issue will always be a question until Stoops starts a placekicker of a minority race.

:D

Widescreen
8/15/2006, 04:18 PM
There will always be a question until Stoops turns black.

Actually, I'm pretty sure he was plenty red when the Bomar thing came to light so maybe the race thing is already resolved.

Petro-Sooner
8/15/2006, 04:24 PM
This thread is really about Hybl right.

soonerlaw
8/15/2006, 04:25 PM
As far as Bomar goes, I think on the field he could have been awesome, especially with the receivers he has. Not many qb's get the chance to start almost every game their freshman year, so his future was extremely bright for the next three years. I think he even could have won a Heisman down the road. Unfortunately, off the field he wasn't as great.

soonerlaw
8/15/2006, 04:27 PM
Then again, we represent some guys in Grand Prairie and they have always said he was hype because he couldn't even lead them to the playoffs... but I think they were W_ _ _ N fans so their opinions don't count.

FaninAma
8/15/2006, 04:40 PM
The race issue will always be a question until Stoops starts a placekicker of a minority race.

Well then here is the second part of my discussion.

If Stoops discerned from the team that there was a race issue in play with a significant segment of the team regarding the QB situation, how tied are his hands at this point if Thompson's performance is mediocre or worse?

Stoops' actions and decisions regarding player personnel choices have been beyond reproach up to this point in his career at OU. But, I do think because of the way the QB competition has played out last year and this year(some of which was beyond Stoops' controll and some of which can be laid directly at the coaching staff's feet) that Bob Stoops is resigned with playing PT regardless of performance.

I think it is critical that Thompson gets off to a good start not just for the obvious reasons but for the far more important but less obvious reason of the effect a poor performance by PT would have on team chemistry. If PT plays well then the team will come together and do very well. If PT plays poorly but continues to start then I think some deep divisions start to appear in team chemistry and morale that would affect the team adversley.

This not an expression of non-support for Thompson. It's just an opinion on the possible dynamics of the chemsitry of this year's team and how the fiasco of the last 2 years at the QB position may impact this issue.

leavingthezoo
8/15/2006, 04:41 PM
I don't think it's unreasonable for a casual observer of the Sooner football program to think that the statement indicates that at least Birdine felt race had somethng to do with Bomar being named the first team QB.

I also think that to the casual observer that the statement may indicate that Birdine really doesn't think too much before he pops off as witnessed by some of his statements in the past.

well, then... put me in the category of elite observer that thinks birdine was just spouting off against a guy who screwed him over as well as the sooner program and probably wasn't thinking along the lines of race, but humorous jabs.

not everything is rascist. i thought the shoe fit. i'm white though... so i guess i get a free pass.

he also said ENA "wasn't all that"... so, it's not like he thinks the second coming was looked over because of his race.

i think you could use some ice cream.

StuIsTheMan
8/15/2006, 04:45 PM
He is white.
With that logic the Jason Had it made...

FaninAma
8/15/2006, 04:50 PM
well, then... put me in the category of elite observer that thinks birdine was just spouting off against a guy who screwed him over as well as the sooner program and probably wasn't thinking along the lines of race, but humorous jabs.

not everything is rascist. i thought the shoe fit. i'm white though... so i guess i get a free pass.

he also said ENA "wasn't all that"... so, it's not like he thinks the second coming was looked over because of his race.

i think you could use some ice cream.

I accept the ice cream offer. There is a very high possiblity that I am over-analyzing the statement made by Birdine in light of the fact that Birdine is sort of a loose canon, but how comfortable will Stoops be in benching PT shoud he struggle more than anticipated?

leavingthezoo
8/15/2006, 04:52 PM
I accept the ice cream offer. There is a very high possiblity that I am over-analyzing the statement made by Birdine in light of the fact that Birdine is sort of a loose canon, but how comfortable will Stoops be in benching PT shoud he struggle more than anticipated?

i honestly don't know... hopefully we won't have to find out. but if we do, then i'll need ice cream. :D

jwlynn64
8/15/2006, 04:59 PM
It's just an opinion on the possible dynamics of the chemsitry of this year's team ....

Is this an evolution vs. Intelligent desgin dicussion board? If so I'm so screwed since I had a dream that I didn't study and came to class in my underwear!!! :D

I think that sentence was overanalysing and now I've overanalysed it.

Stoop Dawg
8/15/2006, 05:09 PM
how comfortable will Stoops be in benching PT shoud he struggle more than anticipated?

My guess is: extremely comfortable.

I'd also guess that if any player of any race walks into his office and in any way insinuates that race is a factor in the selection of any starting position, he'll show him the door.

But those are just guesses ... like yours.

GottaHavePride
8/15/2006, 05:51 PM
I think "Great White Hype" is a fairly common expression, thus I don't read any racist overtones into Birdine's comment.

I mean, that expression keeps getting recycled back form the "Great White Hunter" British Imperial explorer-types. It's a pretty common expression; I'd read more racist overtones just into the existence of the phrase rather than its modern usage.

jdsooner
8/15/2006, 06:48 PM
Gee, I thought he was the "Big Red Hype!"

FlatheadSooner
8/15/2006, 07:00 PM
I think "Great White Hype" is a fairly common expression, thus I don't read any racist overtones into Birdine's comment.

I mean, that expression keeps getting recycled back form the "Great White Hunter" British Imperial explorer-types. It's a pretty common expression; I'd read more racist overtones just into the existence of the phrase rather than its modern usage.

You may be right but what if that was reversed "Great Black Hype"...........just sayin. Birdine is truly back in form, eh?

Honestly, I don't think there's a shred of racism in the QB starter decision from last year. I think Bob is just glad that he has an opportunity (albeit under wrong circumstances) to give Paul his second chance.

C&CDean
8/15/2006, 07:14 PM
Isn't it funny that when a black dude says something "anti-white" that it's "cute." But if white dude says the same thing anti-black then he's a "racist mofo.?"

And isn't it funny how white people pretty much go "I don't really care about Birdine's comments cause it's all in the perspective of the team......."

Anyhow, let's rock and roll and kick some politically correct *** this year.

Widescreen
8/15/2006, 07:24 PM
any of you guys catch Miss White America the other night on CMT?

Me neither.

olevetonahill
8/15/2006, 07:27 PM
Isn't it funny that when a black dude says something "anti-white" that it's "cute." But if white dude says the same thing anti-black then he's a "racist mofo.?"

And isn't it funny how white people pretty much go "I don't really care about Birdine's comments cause it's all in the perspective of the team......."

I totaly agree !
Dudes this IS 2006 NOT 1956
Coach and ALL players are gonna do whats best for the Team

Desert Sapper
8/15/2006, 07:38 PM

Bingo. See: The Great White Hype (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116448/). He even kind of looks like the guy in the movie. More than any racist overtones, Bird's comments are more about Bomar being greatly hyped, white, and a total flop. He didn't do anything really spectacular last year, even if he did improve. He screwed up, screwed the team, and amounted to nothing more than a great white hype. It's time to move on. Bird is spouting off like he normally does, voicing what the rest of the team is thinking. Bomar wasn't all that. PT isn't all that yet. Of course, Larry also said that Matt Leinart wasn't jack or s*** before the '05 OB and we all know how that went. Could be PT is better than he thinks.

goingoneight
8/15/2006, 09:03 PM

Bird actually told my dad jokingly that he didn't mean for it to sound that way and that he was trying to make the "Bomar will be the next Jason White" comparison. Bird is one of the coolest, most non-racist guys you'll meet. He said he laughed when he read about it.

sooneriniowa
8/15/2006, 09:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we have 3 "non-minority" QB's currently on the roster?
"IF" Stoops or anyone were racists on the team, do you honestly think that ENA would be moved back to QB?

No offense but people are too quick to pull the racist trigger. I think Birdine is just in midseason form (with his mouth, and hopefully his game).

TJKDone
8/15/2006, 10:19 PM
Hindsight is 20/20:D

Hook'em

Big Red Ron
8/15/2006, 10:22 PM
Agree

badger
8/15/2006, 10:31 PM
face it, there have always been questionable decisions regarding quarterbacks under stoops. I mean, Hybl was only started because his name sounded like Heupel, and the other guy only started because his name sounded like Boomer... and we all know that a quarterback named Boomer has to be good.

[/sarcasm]

leavingthezoo
8/15/2006, 10:40 PM

hush up, whitey. :D

FaninAma
8/15/2006, 10:51 PM
Bird actually told my dad jokingly that he didn't mean for it to sound that way and that he was trying to make the "Bomar will be the next Jason White" comparison. Bird is one of the coolest, most non-racist guys you'll meet. He said he laughed when he read about it.

Then it sounds like it was just LB being LB. I still think that Stoops is a little bit self-conscious about the way things played out last year with the QB position. And it is not like Stoops to declare a starter without letting players compete for the position.

KC//CRIMSON
8/15/2006, 11:10 PM
Birdine wasn't exactly "complimentary" of Thompson either.

Octavian
8/15/2006, 11:21 PM
Stoops declared PT the starter right away because he wanted to move the program's focus forward as quickly as possible and establish some offensive cohesion in the month we had left to prepare.

If any of these racial incinuations were even remotely plausible, wouldn't Halzle have been declared the starter?

um...yeah.

Blue
8/15/2006, 11:28 PM
Bomar was better w/ a bigger upside. The end.

PT, although a great person, doesn't exactly give me the most confidence for 06'.

I hope I'm wrong.

GottaHavePride
8/16/2006, 12:51 AM
I don't know... If, as is starting to come to light, the rest of the team didn't really care for Bomar's attitude, then I actually like our chances a little better now.

leavingthezoo
8/16/2006, 01:15 AM
I don't know... If, as is starting to come to light, the rest of the team didn't really care for Bomar's attitude, then I actually like our chances a little better now.

hush up, optimist. :D

sanantoniosooner
8/16/2006, 07:19 AM
Am I late for the klan rally?

C&CDean
8/16/2006, 07:45 AM

No. Now that you're here, you can get it started.

sanantoniosooner
8/16/2006, 07:47 AM
You did bring the cloaks, didn't you?

Jason White's Third Knee
8/16/2006, 08:08 AM
He could been Brett Favre. Instead he was Ryan Leaf... minus the college career.

C&CDean
8/16/2006, 08:31 AM
wtf is a "cloak?"

Jason White's Third Knee
8/16/2006, 08:39 AM
wtf is a "cloak?"

= bed sheet and pillow case

FaninAma
8/16/2006, 08:47 AM
You did bring the cloaks, didn't you?

Nothing like a ham-handed comedian to blunder in and lend credence to the race issue.

It is because of the hypersensitive nature of race issues caused by the demagoging on the left that decisions like the ones that Stoops has made this year and last year regarding the QB position would even draw speculation.

I am pretty sure that with a team that is over 80% black Stoops is very aware and sensitive to any criticism from this angle....even if it is total BS like it was last year. If promoting harmonious team chemistry is a positive thing for a coach to do then Stoops would be remiss in not considering the race issue.

I'll stick to my premise that Stoops named PT the starter so quickly for other reasons than he's a great team player and a great QB. While the first sentinment is true I'm waiting to see if the second is. And it's not a criticism of Stoops because I agree totally with the decision and I would have done the same thing in his place.

jwlynn64
8/16/2006, 09:19 AM
... I agree totally with the decision and I would have done the same thing in his place.

Well, lets all move along. Nothing to see here. FaninAma would have done the same thing! ;)

leavingthezoo
8/16/2006, 09:32 AM
I'll stick to my premise that Stoops named PT the starter so quickly for other reasons than he's a great team player and a great QB.

i still think flames are trying to be fanned here where there isn't even a spark. aside from a handful of message board posters, i haven't heard any speculation that bomar got the start because he was white, or that ENA got thrown into quarterback starter to right a racial wrong. (has there been? links?)

as far as birdine ... he'd burn his mama with a backhanded comment if he thought it made a good soundbyte. i mean, that's his schtick. mouthing off without thinking about the implications of what he's saying. (and even knowing this, i still don't feel "the great white hype" fits a racial blunder.)

and so long as were guessing what's going through stoops head... my guess is he got hit with hefty consequences of playing a guy who wasn't a team player, and it's a lesson learned. sink or swim, he knows who he is dealing with in Paul.

but... again, that's all opinion.

ou4me
8/16/2006, 09:36 AM

Where all tha white women at? [/blazing saddles]

FaninAma
8/16/2006, 09:45 AM
i still think flames are trying to be fanned here where there isn't even a spark. aside from a handful of message board posters, i haven't heard any speculation that bomar got the start because he was white, or that ENA got thrown into quarterback starter to right a racial wrong. (has there been? links?)

as far as birdine ... he'd burn his mama with a backhanded comment if he thought it made a good soundbyte. i mean, that's his schtick. mouthing off without thinking about the implications of what he's saying. (and even knowing this, i still don't feel "the great white hype" fits a racial blunder.)

and so long as were guessing what's going through stoops head... my guess is he got hit with hefty consequences of playing a guy who wasn't a team player, and it's a lesson learned. sink or swim, he knows who he is dealing with in Paul.

but... again, that's all opinion.

IMO, it wasn't a race issue to Stoops. It's a team chemistry issue. The race issue only comes into play from the standpoint that by naming PT quickly Stoops has avoided that issue from raising it's ugly head like it tried to last year and thus insuring much better team chemistry.

Can you imagine if Stoops waited until the first game to name a starter this year and somehow Halzle was the winner?

There had to be a good reason for Stoops to annoint a starter at the most important position on the team without any a sniff of competition this preseason. That's not his style.

The downside of this decision is that , should PT not perform well, I don't see it being almost impossible for Stoops to replace him barring injury.

sanantoniosooner
8/16/2006, 10:15 AM
So..........the rally is off?

XingTheRubicon
8/16/2006, 10:45 AM
Those boys is NOT white; they're not even old timey.

sanantoniosooner
8/16/2006, 10:48 AM
We're all negro except for our guitarist.

XingTheRubicon
8/16/2006, 10:49 AM
accompny.....accompnimant

XingTheRubicon
8/16/2006, 10:54 AM
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/3595/stokesqr8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
These boys, this very evenin disrupted a lynch mob performin it's duties. It's TRUE!

FaninAma
8/16/2006, 11:13 AM
So..........the rally is off?

Which rally are you talking about....the Klan rally or the Monster Truck rally? You have to be specific when you're talking to us f'in hillbillies.

"Who made the color guard colored?"

TMcGee86
8/16/2006, 12:22 PM
The question of what Stoops does if PT goes out and plays terrible, is an interesting one.

However, I don't think race plays any part whatsoever.

The real problem I see for Stoops is gratitude to PT for switching positions and thus a reluctence to pull him again.

IMHO, I think PT would really have to bomb out this year to get yanked. Like trainwreck bad.

Because otherwise, what incentive is there to switch, barring some miraculous practice showing by one of the other QB's.

However, Stoops may be lucky in that we should have our two toughest games early with the ducks and whorns, so I would think if PT lost both those games and was the obvious reason, then Stoops could pull him, say thanks for trying, and allow him to display any WR talent that he might have in hopes of landing an NFL gig.

Otherwise, if we win one or both of those games, but then PT starts to struggle, I would see Stoops going 90% option before I would see him benching PT.

Either way, race has nothing do to with it, in my very humble opinion of course. ;)

stoopified
8/16/2006, 03:50 PM
Bomar was and is very talented,clor has nothing to do with it.He is however the perfect example of a qb with a million dollar arm and ten cent head.