PDA

View Full Version : ***The official Cincinnati Reds playoff push thread****

AllAboutThe'O'
8/15/2006, 12:54 AM
The surprising Cincinnati Reds are hot on the heels of the Cardinals, just 1 1/2 games back as the two teams clash later on this evening at Busch. If recent history holds up, the Reds may leave town as the National League Central leaders.
The Reds are also atop the NL wildcard race, by one game over San Diego and two games over Arizona. A plethora of other teams, like Houston, Colorado, Philly, Frisco and Florida, are also in the mix.
So this is for the Reds fans (Micco, I know for sure) and even non-Reds fans, who may still be skeptical that the Reds' good luck is bound to come to an end. But I have to tell you, people wrote the Reds off for the past three months, only to see them stay in the thick of things. And nobody thought the Cardinals would be seriously challenged at this point (if they were, it probably would've been the Astros). The Reds, however, just keep finding ways to win.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/15/2006, 10:12 PM
Unfortunately, Reds fall flat against Chris Carpenter and the Cardinals tonight, 5-0. But the Padres are losing right now, so the Reds may hold on to their lead in the wild card.

Blue
8/15/2006, 11:34 PM
The Reds are mediocre, just like every NL team not named the Mets. My Braves have been sucking yet haven'yt lost any ground in the Wild Card because the entire NL is equally average.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/16/2006, 11:56 PM
Bronson Arroyo finally gets that long-awaited 10th "W." and the Reds play longball, five HR's against the Cards. Read the story on the wire tonight, though, where Arroyo said he's taking the cornrows off.
Right now, it's 1 1/2 back of the Cards and still a game ahead of the D-backs for the wildcard spot. And the Giants have just taken the lead on the Padres in extra innings, so we could gain a game on the Pads.
It's a shame that the Reds and Cardinal season series ends tomorrow. These two should have had a couple of good September series.

MiccoMacey
8/20/2006, 07:17 PM
And after today's win against Pittsburgh, we have a 2 game lead in the wild card standings, but more importantly we are only 2.5 games back of Saint Louis. And we have a three game home series against Houston, with Arroyo starting the first game.

I can't remember the last time we were even in the hunt for a playoff spot this late in the year. It's pretty cool.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/23/2006, 07:21 PM
Just when we're on the brink of finally catching the Cardinals (again!), we give up six runs in the seventh and fall to Houston, a day after lambasting them 14-0.
Naturally, the Mets are rolling over St. Louis right now. So it looks like we'll still be a game back of the Cards for the division lead.
Big road trip coming up for the Reds starting tomorrow night at San Francisco. Also go to LA and San Diego. This will tell the tale whether the Reds are truly in it down the stretch.

MiccoMacey
8/23/2006, 09:58 PM
SF and LA...we better win both of those series.

VicePresOfMuldrow
8/23/2006, 11:43 PM
What has happened to the Cardinals.....ugly.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/23/2006, 11:55 PM
What has happened to the Cardinals.....ugly.
Love your username. Are you really from Muldrow?

VicePresOfMuldrow
8/24/2006, 11:55 AM
Yes I am! Freshman this year at OU! haha heck yes!

AllAboutThe'O'
8/24/2006, 02:37 PM
Yes I am! Freshman this year at OU! haha heck yes!
I live in Fort Smith but I've been to Muldrow a few times to see the Bulldogs and Lady Bulldogs play.

VicePresOfMuldrow
8/24/2006, 08:09 PM
It's a sweet place. no doubt

AllAboutThe'O'
8/27/2006, 07:43 PM
I'm beginning to think does anyone actually want to win the NL wildcard this year?
Reds held to two runs over their last three games but still claim the top spot in the race by a half-game over San Diego. Others are closing in. The Marlins are three back, the Astros are four back and the Brewers and Rockies still have a shot.
I can't see the Reds beating the Dodgers in the upcoming series in L.A. so now other teams, here's your chance to take over.

MiccoMacey
9/2/2006, 02:48 AM
Reds beat SD. 1/2 game back from the top of the wild card race.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/5/2006, 08:18 PM
Time to revive this thread. Bronson Arroyo throws a three-hit gem and the Reds beat the Giants, 3-0. Great way to rebound from what was by far the worst loss of the season last night.
Reds still aren't out of this thing. One more with the Giants tomorrow and the Pirates and the Padres come in for the remainder of the homestand.

MiccoMacey
9/12/2006, 12:48 PM
We've lost 11 of the last 15?? Is this right???

My how my Reds have fallen. :sad:

AllAboutThe'O'
9/13/2006, 12:09 AM
But Jason LaRue's walk-off in extra innings gets the Reds within 2 1/2 of SD for the wild-card lead.
A sweep over the Padres definitely gets the Reds back into the hunt.

MiccoMacey
9/13/2006, 07:34 AM
If the Dodgers win the West, they owe their spot to the Reds.

We let them beat us (I think they just about swept us for the year), and we beat SD last night. Hopefully that last trend continues on.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/14/2006, 09:25 PM
If the Dodgers win the West, they owe their spot to the Reds.

We let them beat us (I think they just about swept us for the year), and we beat SD last night. Hopefully that last trend continues on.
Unfortunately, it didn't.
I hate to say it, but I think the Reds are officially toast. They're still mathematically alive in both the division and wildcard races, but we're in a deep hole, especially having to finish the year with the last 12 of 16 games on the road. The state of California was definitely our weakness this year, 4-15 against the Dodgers (0-6), Padres (2-4) and Giants (2-5). And if you can't take care of business against the NL wildcard leader or the NL West leader, then you don't deserve to be a playoff team.
But all things considered, it was a good run by the Reds this season. Nobody really thought they would still be hanging around in mid-September so it was nice to see them have some success this year. We also had some memorable wins, but some equally crushing losses and that was the theme, especially the last three months, our inconsistency.
Hopefully, we can build on this year's success and carry that over into next year. We won't have the element of surprise, though, not going to be sneaking up on anybody.

MiccoMacey
9/15/2006, 08:55 AM
Hey, it was a great season for us.

They played the games in the beginning of the season tough enough to have "meaningful" games in September.

Of course, we sucked in those "meaningful" games, but at least we're still talking about baseball and Reds this late in the season.

Hopefully this will translate well for next year.

MiccoMacey
9/27/2006, 11:21 AM
Not so fast, my friends......

We're 2 1/2 games back of St Louis, and we're playing the Marlins right now (I think we have six games left).

We're not done yet. Although that 10 outta 29 slump in August and September hurt, we are still alive.

Go Reds!!!

AllAboutThe'O'
9/27/2006, 11:11 PM
But tonight may have been our last gasp, as Hanley Ramirez's two blasts and the St. Louis first baseman, whose name shall not be mentioned, may have done us in for good.
Down 3 1/2 with four left to play isn't looking real promising for the Reds right now.

MiccoMacey
9/29/2006, 08:47 AM
I'll say it again...Not so fast, my friends...

Only 2 1/2 games down now. I know it's a miracle shot, and I also know it's a huge conspiracy by MLB to keep me interested just so they can pull the rug out from under my feet Charlie Brown style and crush my little world, as they sit back and laugh at my gullibility.

But there's still a chance.

MiccoMacey
9/29/2006, 09:12 PM
"Cincinnati, which entered 2 1/2 games behind the first-place Cardinals with an elimination number of two, kept its playoff hopes mathematically alive in the National League Central race."

We beat Pittsburgh, but the Cards are winning 8-3. So it looks like the elimination number will now be one.

But we still have a chance!!!

AllAboutThe'O'
9/30/2006, 01:05 AM
"Cincinnati, which entered 2 1/2 games behind the first-place Cardinals with an elimination number of two, kept its playoff hopes mathematically alive in the National League Central race."

We beat Pittsburgh, but the Cards are winning 8-3. So it looks like the elimination number will now be one.

But we still have a chance!!!
So you're saying there's a chance?;)