PDA

View Full Version : UT vs tOSU 2006

1991SOONER
8/14/2006, 08:07 PM
So I am talking smack with some littehorns on another forum and they seem reasonably confident of a victory over tOSU this year.

I point out that their MVP that saved them from losing to tOSU is now gone, while tOSU is returning alot of starters including their qb.

What are your predictions of this game? Score and all. Please be realistic. I'm not looking from responses from Whorns,

because I know what your prediction is: 468-0 LOL...

soonerinabilene
8/14/2006, 08:16 PM
the losses osu had on defense negate the fact that vince is not going to be there. young, unproven defense going into austin is hard to have faith in. texass has a better d, playing at home, with a solid oline. makes it alot easier for mccoy or snead. the qb's will struggle, but their run game can dominate the buckeyes and keep troy smith of the field and open up quick slants and screens to the wrs. come october, different story though :)

sooneron
8/14/2006, 08:18 PM
Uterus - 34
suckeyes - 31

Desert Sapper
8/14/2006, 08:20 PM
I think this will come down to defense, regardless of what the announcers will talk up. Yes, Ginn and Smith are very gifted, and their offense is very very very good. The problem is that they lost 9 defensive starters to the NFL, and 3 of them were their backers (including all-world AJ Hawk who starts for the packers). A team should be led by its backers and that team definitely was.

Tejas, on the other hand, returns the core of its defense, even if it does lose Thorpe winner Michael Huff, MLB Aaron Harris, and DT Rod Wright. The UT defense will be very good this year. The offense will depend on the QB, whichever one of the two Mack decides to throw into the fire.

With the home crowd, in the hot Austin sun, I give edge (slight) to the whorns. Their freshman QB will struggle against a defense that will still be decent, even without the unbelievable talent it had last year. Their RBs (led by Charles) and OL (led by Blalock) are still good enough to carry this team, Young or not. Their D will play inspired against the two players besides Brady Quinn guaranteed to get a full media BJ before every game this year.

whorns 17 tosu 14

King Crimson
8/14/2006, 08:22 PM
it's gonna be a good game with a lot of talent on the field. tOSU showed they could play with the "speed" of UT last year and IMO should have put the horns away. but, that's not always the way it happens. and tOSU lost a lot in their LB's. as UT lost football jesus.

sooneron
8/14/2006, 08:23 PM
it's gonna be a good game with a lot of talent on the field. tOSU showed they could play with the "speed" of UT last year and IMO should have put the horns away. but, that's not always the way it happens. and tOSU lost a lot in their LB's. as UT lost football jesus.
Yep a WIDE open TE dropping the ball, ala B Parker, sucked that game up for tosu.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/14/2006, 08:33 PM
They were doing a segment on SportsCenter today where they're going to simulate every week of the upcoming season.
The analysts, Mark May and Todd Blackledge, both thought Texas would win.
I disagree. Obviously, Texas will have quarterback issues but Ohio State has a few more weapons. And if Troy Smith played the whole game last year, the Buckeyes would've won.
I say tOSU goes in and pulls out a 24-20 victory.

goingoneight
8/14/2006, 08:40 PM
Gene is a D mastermind. No matter what OUr fellow Sooner Fans think, he's as hot for an HC job as Bob Stoops was at Florida. Huff had a good year, and overall was a good athlete, but I don't think of him as a major loss to the UT D. If Troy can play up to his potential, the offense can chase Tejas, no matter what the n00b QBs score.

Could be high-scoring.

proudsoonergal
8/14/2006, 09:01 PM
Ohio State will win. I base my prediction on the following evidence:

The BF is going to the game. The last time he went to a UT game at home was Arkansas in 2003.

BTW, the game will be played at night. Less Austin sun factor, although I'm sure it will still be hot.

1991SOONER
8/14/2006, 09:04 PM
Well, I may have shot myself in the foot then. I gave him +10 points which may have been too much. I didn't realize tOSU had lost that much on D.
I still think tOSU will pull the victory. I also think the loss of radio will be much more than they realize...

AllVol
8/14/2006, 09:06 PM
tOSU 34
Texas 7

Texas was a fluke... A one man show... tOSU shouldve killed them last season, but choked... No QB controversy this time... Mack has NO primetime player to bail him out, and well, OU has shown what happens to Mack when it comes down to coaching...

1991SOONER
8/14/2006, 09:07 PM
tOSU 34
Texas 7

Texas was a fluke... A one man show... tOSU shouldve killed them last season, but choked... No QB controversy this time... Mack has NO primetime player to bail him out, and well, OU has shown what happens to Mack when it comes down to coaching...

Thats what I told them and I got flamed :( Imagine that.....

Poor, delusional whorns...LOL

Octavian
8/14/2006, 11:07 PM
They plan to split time between McCoy and Sneed in the opener which means neither of the freshman quarterbacks will have a full game's experience before they face a Jim Tressel defense (yeah, they lost 9 D starters but a lot of them have played significant amounts of time...)

not good odds

Desert Sapper
8/14/2006, 11:31 PM
They plan to split time between McCoy and Sneed in the opener which means neither of the freshman quarterbacks will have a full game's experience before they face a Jim Tressel defense (yeah, they lost 9 D starters but a lot of them have played significant amounts of time...)

not good odds

True. I hadn't factored that in. I recall the 'experiment' of Major Applewhite and Christy when they lost to Stanford in 2000. Heh. Could be a tosu blowout.

1991SOONER
8/15/2006, 12:01 AM
Now I don't feel so bad. I thought I was being conservative by giving him +10. I was really thinking +21 or more.

It ought to be interesting...

AllAboutThe'O'
8/15/2006, 12:34 AM
True. I hadn't factored that in. I recall the 'experiment' of Major Applewhite and Christy when they lost to Stanford in 2000. Heh. Could be a tosu blowout.
Heck, I remember when North Carolina State went into the vaunted DKR/Texas Memorial Stadium and slapped the 'Horns around a few years ago. If N.C. State could do that (and Arkansas in 2003), then the Buckeyes, with much better talent than those other schools, can definitely do the deed.

King Crimson
8/15/2006, 05:08 AM
tOSU 34
Texas 7

you didn't see Texas much last year did you? they were a great defensive football team. and most certainly not a fluke.

ashley
8/15/2006, 05:26 AM
I don't see them beating OSU with a two QB system unless it's Montana and Young. It may be close just because of the home team advantage and the heat.
Yes they had a great team last year and even at that they don't even get there much less beat USC without Young.

tbl
8/15/2006, 08:17 AM
You don't win a National Championship on a fluke. Sure they got lucky a few times, but everybody does (remember aTm in 2000?).

That said, I think tOSU is going to win this one. I'm not sure about a blowout, but I don't think it will come down to the wire.

47straight
8/15/2006, 08:37 AM
NLT

Luthor
8/15/2006, 10:57 AM
tOSU 34
Texas 7

You must hate everybody, or is it just that your orange is so ghey looking compared to ours?

JohnnyMack
8/15/2006, 11:03 AM
I'm really not sure on this game. Saxet seems to be the logical choice when you count its O-Line, the home field advantage and its defense. Mix in tOSU's inexperience on D and Saxet should win this game on paper by 10+ points.

But this will be one of those games. Sloppy, missed opportunities by both sides that'll have you shaking your head.

I say Saxet escapes with a 3 point win.

Octavian
8/15/2006, 11:40 AM
I agree w/ JM a lot but I take a different view.

The Texas OL is great but tOSU isn't gonna be as inexperienced on D as most people say and their front seven will be solid against the run.

Greg Davis can't be one dimensional on first and second down but it's just hard to expect a kid w/ less than a game's worth of D1 experience to dissect a top-notch defense. If they force Texas into 3rds and long, they'll tee off on whoever's behind center and create a lot of problems.

I just don't see Texas putting together long, sustained drives and their big play capability is more potential than anything until one of their pups establishes himself.

Smith and Co. aren't playing Notre Dame, so I'm not expecting to see Ginn running free behind the secondary all day long, but they'll be versatile enough to consistently move the ball and score points. Their skill players (and OL) are vets and that goes along way.

It is in Austin though and Mack's track record at home is impressive...should be interesting.

tOSU by 7.

sooneron
8/15/2006, 12:04 PM
I have changed my mind, slightly, Uterus- 31 : tosuck - 27

However, I will giggle like a school girl if the whorns lose. I just don't think they will at home.

1991SOONER
9/10/2006, 09:16 PM
bump for my thread. Looks like I nailed it. I was thinkin 21 point spread, but wasn't that far off. (I only bet +10 points to be safe)

Well, I won my bet:) The only thing I enjoy just as much as beating a horn is taking money from one:)

PS - When I went out to get a sandwich today here in Htown, there was not ONE LONGHORN emblem, t-shirt, bumper sticker, hat in sight!! All is right with the world again...

BOOMER SOONER!!!

MiccoMacey
9/10/2006, 09:20 PM
Heh.

proudsoonergal
9/10/2006, 09:26 PM
Ohio State will win. I base my prediction on the following evidence:

The BF is going to the game. The last time he went to a UT game at home was Arkansas in 2003.

BTW, the game will be played at night. Less Austin sun factor, although I'm sure it will still be hot.

Told ya. :)

Congrats on the bet!