PDA

View Full Version : stupid firefox/adobe

OUstudent4life
8/14/2006, 03:18 PM
I installed the full version of Adobe Acrobat on my computer. Firefox now opens any pdf with this frakin program, which takes 2 years on my Dell Inspicrap 8000. And then the damn thing won't print. It finds the printer just fine, and the Adobe Reader can print, but noooooo, Mr. Fancy-Pants Acrobat just THINKS it prints.

Is there any way to change the file preferences so that pdf's open in Reader, not Acrobat? I can't figure it out in the plug-in manager in Firefox.

Stoop Dawg
8/14/2006, 03:27 PM
Well, that depends.....

In general, go to Tools... Folder Options... File Types... from any Windows Explorer window. Find "PDF" and pick a new program to open it.

tbl
8/14/2006, 03:30 PM
I'm having a similar problem on my laptop. Firefox is beginning to beat me down... If it wasn't for tabbed browsing, I'd be back on IE.

Norm In Norman
8/14/2006, 03:31 PM
I just did this this morning. This this. this this.

Anyway, edit->prefs->internet->show pdfs in browser (uncheck it). It uninstalls the pdf plugin for you.

Norm In Norman
8/14/2006, 03:32 PM
Oh, and this is not a firefox problem, it's an adobe problem. So go bitch at them and leave firefox alone. Personally, I use foxit reader to read pdfs and I never have any problems. I just have adobe installed so I can check compatability with it when I create pdfs from code.

mdklatt
8/14/2006, 03:38 PM
It probably won't be any faster with just Reader. Each new version of that ****e gets larger and slower. The latest version of Reader is almost 100 MB for a full install!!! I have a minimal install of Acrobat, and that fugger is more than 200 MB. Microsoft Office--Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint--only takes up 129 MB by comparison.

Adobe succs.

OUstudent4life
8/14/2006, 03:44 PM
The sad thing is I only want this to write pdf's. And if I had my mac, I could just automatically print to pdf format.

When I actually get around to writing my thesis, I'll have to shrink it. My 16 page prospectus (with figs) in word is ~ 3 Mb, but pdf'd it's ~700 kb

Norm In Norman
8/14/2006, 03:58 PM
Use open office. Saves to pdf directly and you can still use .doc.

mrowl
8/14/2006, 04:01 PM
The sad thing is I only want this to write pdf's. And if I had my mac, I could just automatically print to pdf format.

When I actually get around to writing my thesis, I'll have to shrink it. My 16 page prospectus (with figs) in word is ~ 3 Mb, but pdf'd it's ~700 kb

I use pdffactory

http://www.pdffactory.com/

it has a free trial, but you can find unlock codes everywhere out there.

Norm In Norman
8/14/2006, 04:01 PM
Oh, I misread that. You were using the full acrobat thing. I misread I guess because I was dealing with reader's plugin this morning. Well, I'd still use openoffice.org if I were you. It does an awesome job with pdfs.