PDA

View Full Version : Another lottery winner thread

Osce0la
8/14/2006, 10:38 AM
So my father in law gets one of these emails that everyone over here has been talking about (but had the good sense to know was a scam).

He's all excited about the fact that he won $850,000.00 in this lottery that none of us have ever heard of. I told him that I had seen several people saying they got one of these emails and told him I think it is a scam (obviously it is a scam, otherwise we'd have several millionaires on this board right now). He and my mother and law fill out the form on the email (giving these people their address and everything). One thing that should tip them off that it is a scam is the fact that they don't need anything proving that they are who they are claiming they are (no SSN #'s...nothing).

They send off the email with his name and address and other stuff (still no personal info other than the address) and they send something back telling them they can send them a check, but they first have to send this company a check for $90 so the company can mail them their $850,000.00 via UPS. Now they're stuck trying to decide if they should send them the $90 or not...

If they send them this money, not only will these people have $90 of their money, but they will also have their address so they can come in and rob these poor schmucks for everything they're worth, all because they were dumb enough to actually believe they won a lottery they never even entered.

Ugh...I just don't understand what goes through their heads...

Hamhock
8/14/2006, 10:44 AM
Ugh...I just don't understand what goes through their heads...

Listen, I really need the $90, so quit harassing them.

p.s. I promise not to rob them.

Osce0la
8/14/2006, 10:49 AM
Listen, I really need the $90, so quit harassing them.

p.s. I promise not to rob them.
Ok, I'll try to talk them into sending it for you...My son has a lot of stuff over there, so when you do rob them if you could leave his stuff that'd be great. TIA!

tbl
8/14/2006, 10:53 AM
More importantly, they'll have their checking account number, signature, and address. That's how they'll rob them; not by going to their house.

No offense, but if your in laws do this, they're in the class of "stupidest people on earth".

Osce0la
8/14/2006, 11:01 AM
More importantly, they'll have their checking account number, signature, and address. That's how they'll rob them; not by going to their house.

No offense, but if your in laws do this, they're in the class of "stupidest people on earth".
Well they haven't gotten any information like checking acct. numbers and all that. All they have is his name, birthday, and street address. They opted to have the check sent to them because they didn't want to have to give them their account number (just in case it is a scam :rolleyes:)...Regardless, just sending the info they did send sets off a red flag for me...

And don't worry, saying that they are in the class of "stupidest people on earth" doesn't offend me. I've felt that way about them for a long time. The mother in law needed help copying and pasting an email the other day too...My wife showed her how to copy and paste it, then the MIL sat there and said "well now what do I do?" My wife told her you fill in the stuff that you need to be filled in, so she did that, and when she got finished filling the stuff out she sat there and again with a blank stare on her face said "Ok, now what?"...Now what?!?! Have you never sent an email before??? After you get done you hit SEND you moron...

Condescending Sooner
8/14/2006, 11:04 AM
Every check has your account number at the bottom. They should NOT have ssent it.

mdklatt
8/14/2006, 11:16 AM
Every check has your account number at the bottom. They should NOT have ssent it.

If you give a bunch of criminals a check it can't be very hard to print up new checks using that account number, plus they have your signature.

nanimonai
8/14/2006, 11:22 AM
Sometimes you just have to let evolution take its course.

Osce0la
8/14/2006, 11:23 AM
D'OH!!! I never thought about the fact that they're talking about sending them a check to redeem their money (I know every check has your account and ABA # on the bottom)...Well, if they're going to be dumb and send them the money I guess they should send a money order huh? Though I still think they should disregard everything and pretend they never got the email to begin with...

mdklatt
8/14/2006, 11:39 AM
D'OH!!! I never thought about the fact that they're talking about sending them a check to redeem their money (I know every check has your account and ABA # on the bottom)...Well, if they're going to be dumb and send them the money I guess they should send a money order huh? Though I still think they should disregard everything and pretend they never got the email to begin with...

Direct them to snopes.com; I'm sure there's something about this particular scam on there.

Osce0la
8/14/2006, 11:47 AM
Direct them to snopes.com; I'm sure there's something about this particular scam on there.
I was telling a woman at work about this and she said she had gotten one of these emails and she called to BBB to verify...Their answer: SPAM SCAM