PDA

View Full Version : has anybody

jk the sooner fan
8/14/2006, 10:04 AM
quit drinking coffee? or seriously scaled way back on your normal daily intake

i quit smoking cold turkey over 10 years ago, and now am thinking that all this coffee is bad

i tried it once but it was not pretty......there are no patches or gum for coffee...

KABOOKIE
8/14/2006, 10:08 AM
Once they make smoking illegal, coffee bans will be on the order of the green-bat politicians.

achiro
8/14/2006, 10:12 AM
If you quit cold turkey you will probably get a headache from hell. It may start the first evening but the second day will be the worst. The third day may be tough as well but usually not. Then you are pretty much over the symptoms from it.
Or you could just start cutting back slightly and slowly over a few weeks get to a cup or less per day then quit. You may still get a headache but it shouldn't be as bad.

RacerX
8/14/2006, 10:14 AM
Quit cold turkey and you should be over it in a week.

Are you quitting caffeine or just coffee?

picasso
8/14/2006, 10:15 AM
coffee is good for you. I have 2 cups a day tops. try scaling back jack.

belch.

jk the sooner fan
8/14/2006, 10:17 AM
i'm going to give up sodas, i currently only drink one of those a day (normally) and its diet, but the crap they put in diet sodas is not good

i think i'd be ok with one, (two tops) cups of coffee a day....some caffeine is ok but currently i'm drinking pretty much a whole pot a day....not good

and yeah, i'm familiar with the headaches, i tried decaf ONCE....never again! :)

Howzit
8/14/2006, 10:19 AM
i'm going to give up sodas, i currently only drink one of those a day (normally) and its diet, but the crap they put in diet sodas is not good

i think i'd be ok with one, (two tops) cups of coffee a day....some caffeine is ok but currently i'm drinking pretty much a whole pot a day....not good

and yeah, i'm familiar with the headaches, i tried decaf ONCE....never again! :)

Only one pot? *****.

;)

Beef
8/14/2006, 10:25 AM
jk-
I was drinking close to a pot a day before my heart attack. I have scaled back my caffeine intake to a cup of green tea a day. This was mainly to cut down nicotene cravings. I kinda got a good head start by having the first 3 days of my scaling back being in the hospital, so I was on some good drugs anyway.I would try a cup of hot tea to get you going in the mornings. Black tea has half the caffeine of coffee and green tea has 1/3. Also drink lots of water in the morning. Once you can fight through it, the extra hydration will make you plenty alert and not need the coffee.

Viking Kitten
8/14/2006, 10:26 AM
The best way to break a bad habit is to replace it with a good new habit.

My addiction was not to coffee but to Diet Coke. I realized I was drinking about 120 ounces of it a day and had been for about 18 years. Now as I understand it, there's no conclusive evidence showing that aspartame is harmful, however, I started realizing that no one needs to drink that much Diet Coke everyday. So I got in the habit of replacing several of the Diet Cokes with either water, or mint-flavored green tea sweetened with Stevia, (a sweetener made from a South American plant that has zero calories.)

I still maybe have a can or two of Diet Coke everyday, but now it's much more of a habit to go for the healthier stuff instead. It probably took me a month of having to remind myself to do this before it became automatic.

jk the sooner fan
8/14/2006, 10:27 AM
thanks beef, thats where i want to eventually get

Oldnslo
8/14/2006, 10:27 AM
I gave up caffiene in HS. The 3-day headache from hell is all the fun you might imagine it to be.

However...

Since giving up caffiene completely, I have now adopted a more lenient attitude. I'll have a Red Bull on Wednesday mornings to give me a bit of glide in my stride before heading over to the radio station. Just one of them babies will PERK ME RIGHT UP!

Mjcpr
8/14/2006, 10:46 AM
thanks beef, thats where i want to eventually get
In the hospital?

I'd try to avoid that if at all possible.

jk the sooner fan
8/14/2006, 10:50 AM
I'd avoid try to avoid that if at all possible.

english is hard, maybe you need to cut back on something too ;)

Mjcpr
8/14/2006, 10:51 AM
What the....

I hate it when I have to be busy....lucky it's not that often. :D

tbl
8/14/2006, 10:58 AM
I'd keep in at least a cup a day. They've proven that just like a glass of wine a day, Coffee is good for you when taken in moderation. There are all kinds of antioxidents in it.

homerSimpsonsBrain
8/14/2006, 11:01 AM
<wheeze>Ever since I had my left lung removed....<wheeze>
I've cut my smoking<wheeze>
in half<wheeze>

JohnnyMack
8/14/2006, 11:01 AM
Moderation.

picasso
8/14/2006, 11:02 AM
I'd keep in at least a cup a day. They've proven that just like a glass of wine a day, Coffee is good for you when taken in moderation. There are all kinds of antioxidents in it.
studies have also shown it increases brain activity. I think some college kids were tested doing exams with and without.
I like a cup before working out myself. and before relations.

Howzit
8/14/2006, 11:06 AM
studies have also shown it increases brain activity. I think some college kids were tested doing exams with and without.

i like a cup to warm up for another cup.

tbl
8/14/2006, 11:08 AM
Junkie

tbl
8/14/2006, 11:08 AM
Interesting ideas...

SoonerInKCMO
8/14/2006, 11:26 AM
The best way to break a bad habit is to replace it with a good new habit.

My addiction was not to coffee but to Diet Coke. I realized I was drinking about 120 ounces of it a day and had been for about 18 years. Now as I understand it, there's no conclusive evidence showing that aspartame is harmful, however, I started realizing that no one needs to drink that much Diet Coke everyday. So I got in the habit of replacing several of the Diet Cokes with either water, or mint-flavored green tea sweetened with Stevia, (a sweetener made from a South American plant that has zero calories.)

I still maybe have a can or two of Diet Coke everyday, but now it's much more of a habit to go for the healthier stuff instead. It probably took me a month of having to remind myself to do this before it became automatic.

I only average 96 oz./day or so... you got me beat. But, as of now, I'm quitting Diet Coke. Cold turkey.

We'll see how long this lasts.

SoonerInKCMO
8/14/2006, 11:26 AM
Oh wait - there was still some left in the bottom of that last can.

SoonerInKCMO
8/14/2006, 11:27 AM
OK - NOW I'm quitting.

For reals.

Howzit
8/14/2006, 11:28 AM
Junkie

I've had to switch to Starbuck's enemas because I just can't seem to get that same ol' kick from just drinking it.

SoonerInKCMO
8/14/2006, 11:31 AM
I've had to switch to Starbuck's enemas because I just can't seem to get that same ol' kick from just drinking it.

I once read about a resort that does that. You eat nothing but psyllium fiber, drink a gallon of water and get two coffee enemas per day for a week. Cleans ya out real good.

Howzit
8/14/2006, 11:33 AM
I once read about a resort that does that. You eat nothing but psyllium fiber, drink a gallon of water and get two coffee enemas per day for a week. Cleans ya out real good.

link?

PhxSooner
8/14/2006, 11:37 AM
Coffee started hurting my stomach, so I've cut back to a cup of hot tea in the morning, and some iced tea at dinner. I mostly drink something called Talking Rain Ice (something like that), which has Splenda in it and no caffeine. Seems to help with the stomach problem.

Howzit
8/14/2006, 11:38 AM
Coffee started hurting my stomach, so I've cut back to a cup of hot tea in the morning, and some iced tea at dinner. I mostly drink something called Talking Rain Ice (something like that), which has Splenda in it and no caffeine. Seems to help with the stomach problem.

Did you try the enema?

SoonerInKCMO
8/14/2006, 11:42 AM
link?

http://www.spasamui.com/fasting_program.htm :texan:

Howzit
8/14/2006, 11:46 AM
http://www.spasamui.com/fasting_program.htm :texan:

Thanks!

And they even have spritual channeling by appointment!

TUSooner
8/14/2006, 12:35 PM
Will people never heed the warnings ?! It always starts with something "little": First cigarettes, then no more coffee. Before you know it, you won't be snorting cocaine or shooting heroin. Then you might even start eating carefully and excerising regularly. When you are fit, alert and 80 don't come crying to me !
buhhhhhh!!!1

King Crimson
8/14/2006, 12:43 PM
i stopped drinking coffee every morning several years ago, and when i quit restaurant work (which was pounding many many espressos during shifts).....and i find that when i do drink coffee/espresso a couple times a week i really enjoy the taste a lot more. and caffeine is a cheap, nasty, addictive drug.

my sleep improved a lot too. coffee is very acidic and too much really irratates your stomach in addition to frying your nervous system. I still enjoy a cup or three with a good weekend breakfast though.

edit: though at least coffee is something real and not the killer "taste-science" posion that soft drinks are.....IMO.

picasso
8/14/2006, 01:07 PM
coffee is very acidic and too much really irratates your stomach in addition to frying your nervous system. I still enjoy a cup or three with a good weekend breakfast though.

yep, my gf has Crohn's disease and too much of it will tear up her stomach.

I can't believe an entire pot a day!:eek:

SoonerInKCMO
8/15/2006, 11:39 AM
OK - NOW I'm quitting.

For reals.

24 hrs. - not dead yet. :thumbsup:

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2006, 11:41 AM
today is day one - i had about a cup and a half this morning at the house.....actually probably just closer to one cup

started feeling weak and crappy at work, so i had some green tea and am doing ok

no major major withdrawals as of yet.......i dont feel great, but i dont feel bad either

i can do this

picasso
8/15/2006, 11:45 AM
today is day one - i had about a cup and a half this morning at the house.....actually probably just closer to one cup

started feeling weak and crappy at work, so i had some green tea and am doing ok

no major major withdrawals as of yet.......i dont feel great, but i dont feel bad either

i can do this
try some speed.

JohnnyMack
8/15/2006, 12:28 PM
try some blow.

OklahomaTuba
8/15/2006, 12:40 PM
yep, my gf has Crohn's disease and too much of it will tear up her stomach.

Yipes!!!! Crohns???? That's horrible.

I had an uncle that eventually died after fighting it for many years. The treatment was worse than the disease was!

And my substitute for Coffee in the morning is hot mocha, which might be worse actually, but is damn good!

Viking Kitten
8/15/2006, 12:47 PM

I had an uncle that eventually died after fighting it for many years. The treatment was worse than the disease was!

And my substitute for Coffee in the morning is hot mocha, which might be worse actually, but is damn good!

Hot chocolate is full of antioxidants, much like green tea.

So KCMO... how'd that cold turkey on the Diet Coke thing go today? [snickers]

SoonerInKCMO
8/15/2006, 12:52 PM
Going fine. No headache or anything. :)

I was tempted by the caffeinated goodness of the drink aisle at Osco's over lunch... but I was strong.

KC//CRIMSON
8/15/2006, 01:05 PM
I've been drinking a pot of coffee a day for years. My family are huge coffee drinkers. Always have been. The caffeine doesn't affect me at all. I can drink a pot of coffee and go straight to bed and conk out.

Viking Kitten
8/15/2006, 01:08 PM
I've been drinking a pot of coffee a day for years. My family are huge coffee drinkers. Always have been. The caffeine doesn't affect me at all. I can drink a pot of coffee and go straight to bed and conk out.

I can do the same thing... the problem is when I don't drink caffeine, I can go straight to bed and conk out at about 3 p.m.

Mjcpr
8/15/2006, 01:10 PM
I can do the same thing... the problem is when I don't drink caffeine, I can go straight to bed and conk out at about 3 p.m.

So do you record Matlock for later viewing or do you just forget it figuring you've probably already seen it?

picasso
8/15/2006, 01:10 PM
The caffeine doesn't affect me at all. I can drink a pot of coffee and go straight to bed and conk out.
The caffeine doesn't affect me at all. I can drink a pot of coffee and go straight to bed and conk out.

fixed

Viking Kitten
8/15/2006, 01:17 PM
So do you record Matlock for later viewing or do you just forget it figuring you've probably already seen it?

Matlock's a little too risque for my taste.

OklahomaRed
8/15/2006, 01:27 PM
Department of Nutrition and Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA.

BACKGROUND: We examined the association between long-term habitual coffee consumption and risk of coronary heart disease (CHD). METHODS AND RESULTS: We performed a prospective cohort study with 44,005 men and 84,488 women without history of cardiovascular disease or cancer. Coffee consumption was first assessed in 1986 for men and in 1980 for women and then repeatedly every 2 to 4 years; the follow-up continued through 2000. We documented 2173 incident cases of coronary heart disease (1449 nonfatal myocardial infarctions and 724 fatal cases of CHD) among men and 2254 cases (1561 nonfatal myocardial infarctions and 693 fatal cases of CHD) among women. Among men, after adjustment for age, smoking, and other CHD risk factors, the relative risks (RRs) of CHD across categories of cumulative coffee consumption (<1 cup/mo, 1 cup/mo to 4 cups/wk, 5 to 7 cups/wk, 2 to 3 cups/d, 4 to 5 cups/d, and > or =6 cups/d) were 1.0, 1.04 (95% confidence interval 0.91 to 1.17), 1.02 (0.91 to 1.15), 0.97 (0.86 to 1.11), 1.07 (0.88 to 1.31), and 0.72 (0.49 to 1.07; P for trend=0.41); among women, the RRs were 1.0, 0.97 (0.83 to 1.14), 1.02 (0.90 to 1.17), 0.84 (0.74 to 0.97), 0.99 (0.83 to 1.17), and 0.87 (0.68 to 1.11; P for trend=0.08). Stratification by smoking status, alcohol consumption, history of type 2 diabetes mellitus, and body mass index gave similar results. Similarly, we found no effect when the most recent coffee consumption was examined. RRs for quintiles of caffeine intake varied from 0.97 (0.84 to 1.10) in the second quintile to 0.97 (0.84 to 1.11) in the highest quintile (P for trend=0.82) in men and from 1.02 (0.90 to 1.16) to 0.97 (0.85 to 1.11; P for trend=0.37) in women. CONCLUSIONS: These data do not provide any evidence that coffee consumption increases the risk of CHD.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2006, 01:31 PM
i'm not cutting back on coffee for my heart

i'm doing it for my stomach

OklahomaRed
8/15/2006, 01:42 PM
Safety:

LIKELY SAFE ...when used orally and appropriately. Drinking decaffeinated coffee or coffee containing caffeine in low to moderate amounts is safe (15).
POSSIBLY UNSAFE ...when used orally in excessive amounts. Drinking caffeinated coffee in amounts greater than 6 cups per day (about 600 mg caffeine) short-term or long-term can cause caffeinism with symptoms of anxiety possibly progressing to delirium and agitation. Chronic use of caffeine, especially in large amounts, can sometimes produce tolerance, habituation, and psychological dependence. Abrupt discontinuance of caffeine can cause physical withdrawal symptoms (11733). ...when used rectally as an enema. Coffee enemas have been linked to cases of severe electrolyte abnormalities and septicemia leading to severe side effects including death (3026,3347,3349,6652).

Sooner_Bob
8/15/2006, 01:59 PM
I switch between coffee and either a Dr. Pepper or Mt. Dew in the mornings. Some days I can make until 10 or 11 am without one as long as I have a big ol bottle of water.

I once went without caffeine for about 2 weeks in high school . . . that sucked.

I could probably make it on Red Diamond Sweet Tea or hot chocolate for my caffeine if I really, really wanted to try.

The tea would be much easier on my tummy. :D

OklahomaRed
8/15/2006, 02:18 PM
Coffee gets a bad rap.

Effectiveness:

LIKELY EFFECTIVE
Mental alertness. Consumption of coffee and other caffeinated beverages seems to prevent a decline in alertness and cognitive capacity when consumed throughout the day (4221,4224). Caffeine can improve mental performance and alertness following prolonged sleep deprivation (10205). Combining caffeine with glucose as an "energy drink" seems to improve mental performance better than placebo or either caffeine or glucose alone (13732).
POSSIBLY EFFECTIVE
Colorectal cancer. Epidemiological evidence suggests that drinking more than 3 cups of coffee daily may significantly reduce the risk of rectal cancer (9222).
Diabetes. Consumption of caffeinated coffee seems to significantly reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. This effect appears to be dose-dependent. Increasing coffee consumption is associated with progressively lower risk (11353,11731,14313). In North American adults, consuming 6 or more cups/day of coffee is associated with a 54% lower risk of developing diabetes in men and 29% lower risk in women (11353). In European adults, drinking 5-6 cups/day of coffee reduces diabetes risk by 61% in women and 30% in men. Drinking 10 or more cups/day reduces diabetes risk by 79% in women and 55% in men (11731). Japanese adults who consume 3 or more cups/day of coffee have a 42% lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes compared to those who consume one cup/day or less (14313). Decaffeinated coffee does not appear to have this benefit (11353).
Gallbladder disease. Consumption of caffeinated beverages including coffee, that provide 400 mg or greater of caffeine per day, is associated with significantly reducing the risk of developing symptomatic gallstone disease (3345,8032). The effect seems to be dose-dependent. Consumption of 800 mg caffeine per day (four or more cups of coffee) has the greatest reduction in risk (3345).
Hypotension. Consuming caffeinated beverages like coffee seems to increase blood pressure in elderly people with postprandial hypotension (11834,11835).
Parkinson's disease. There is evidence that people who consume caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea, and cola have a decreased risk of Parkinson's disease. For men, the effects seem to be dose related. Men consuming the greatest amount of caffeinated coffee, 28 ounces (three to four cups) per day, or a total of 421 to 2716 mg of caffeine from any source daily, seem to have the greatest reduction in risk. However, a significant reduction in risk exists even with consumption of as little as 124 to 208 mg caffeine per day, approximately 1-2 cups of coffee (6022). In women, the effects do not seem to be dose related. Moderate consumption of caffeinated coffee, one to three cups daily, provides the most reduction in risk (1238). Coffee does not appear to provide additional protection from Parkinson's disease in cigarette smokers (9236).

OklahomaRed
8/15/2006, 02:25 PM
A German study.

Plain and simple: Coffee doesn't cause the problem (i.e. H. Pylori, genetics, reflux, etc). It just contributes to the problem by causing acid release.

Coffee, one of the most excessively used beverages worldwide, commences the risk of gastroesophageal reflux (GER), which may lead to gastric ulcers and increase the risk of gastric cancer. Many attempts have been made by the coffee industry to diminish the irritating effect on mucosa by means of altering the extraction methods concerning gerbic acids and the roasting processes. This paper describes the effect of differently produced coffees involving two brands of Darboven and two brands of other coffee roasters. The aim of this study was to prove the results of gastric potential measurements we found in literature by using human AGS gastric epithelial cells (human adenocarcinoma). All four coffee extracts tested differentially affected the membrane resting potential of AGS cells. Coffees no. 1 and no. 2 depolarized the cells, presumably by increasing the cation entry into the cytosol. In marked contrast, coffee no. 4 hyperpolarizes the cells, possibly by H(+) extrusion and/or Cl(-) influx, suggesting that this coffee might increase acidity in the stomach, which might negatively affect the stomach, especially in people with gastroesophageal reflux symptoms. Overall, our data suggest that different roasting methods of coffees affect the membrane potentials of AGS stomach cells, resulting in increased influx of H+ possibly resulting in decreased stomach acidity and thus reducing GER. These results are in good accordance with clinical pharmacological results from potential difference measurements in healthy volunteers we found in the literature. (c) 2006 Prous Science.

Jimminy Crimson
8/15/2006, 03:20 PM
:les: ALL THESE NUMBERS ARE HURTING MY HEAD!!!!

picasso
8/15/2006, 03:36 PM

there are varying degrees of Crohn's. Camden's probably isn't as bad as your uncle's was, she's being treated for hers with a new method which is kind of like chemotherapy.
it affected her more when she was younger and played soccer.

Harry Beanbag
8/15/2006, 04:37 PM
I only drink it in the winter.

OklahomaRed
8/15/2006, 08:29 PM
there are varying degrees of Crohn's. Camden's probably isn't as bad as your uncle's was, she's being treated for hers with a new method which is kind of like chemotherapy.
it affected her more when she was younger and played soccer.

Pic,

They are probably treating her with Remicade. Remicade is a TNF (Tumor Necrosing Factor Inhibitor). You have to be careful with that, too. Sometimes the bark can be worse than the bite. It's a careful risk versus benefits when you are looking at using any of the TNF's in regards to Chrohn's, Rheumatoid Arthritis, or other autoimmune responses.

However, there are other medications that they also could be using, so I will not start speculating. Crohn's is a tought deal that you have to deal with the rest of your life. Like you pointed out, there are varying degrees to the severity from patient to patient.

picasso
8/15/2006, 10:21 PM
Pic,

They are probably treating her with Remicade. Remicade is a TNF (Tumor Necrosing Factor Inhibitor). You have to be careful with that, too. Sometimes the bark can be worse than the bite. It's a careful risk versus benefits when you are looking at using any of the TNF's in regards to Chrohn's, Rheumatoid Arthritis, or other autoimmune responses.

However, there are other medications that they also could be using, so I will not start speculating. Crohn's is a tought deal that you have to deal with the rest of your life. Like you pointed out, there are varying degrees to the severity from patient to patient.
It is Remicade and she knows the risk. She's quite savvy when it comes to medicine (she's worked for doctors and her mom is a nurse at St. John's).
She's felt better than ever although the treatment is crazy expensive.