PDA

View Full Version : Last nite I watched

85Sooner
8/14/2006, 10:00 AM
The 2003 OU Texas RRS.

In addition to being fun just to get prepared for the season I took note of alot of the play from Jason White.

There has been alot of talk about how we need "the deep threat". After watching the game, it really seemed that Jason ran the team mainly on 5-10 yard passes but he did hit the players on stride for YAC which turned these in to big gainers. Most of the time it seemed to be one step drops to primary receivers. I know that I forget sometimes that JW was not a passing QB to begin with. that developed over time and while his numbers were high, I see that as a tribute to the receivers and their ability to stretch the plays not JW abilty to stretch the field. There has been alot of focus on PT but I would like to know why our receiver corps seem to be less than they used to be. seems like back in 2000-2001, they caught anything in the neighborhood. THere were 5 or 6 recievers who were great. During the JW era it was mainly Clayton. Who coaches recievers now and do you think they are getting the production that was the norm 5 years ago. Course at that time we were more than one deep on the OL. I hope KW will be able touse the strengths of the players in drawing up game plans. He seemed to do well at NW when he took over. Just sayin! Have a great day everyone.

soonerhubs
8/14/2006, 10:19 AM
I'm thinking we'll see more come out of the WR's this year. Last year they were mostly young I thought (With the exception of Travis Wilson). Perhaps this year of growth will provide more YAC.

Blues1
8/14/2006, 10:29 AM
I remember watching that Northwestern Offense unit a few years back thinking "wow" - where did these guys come from...?? - It was the best balanced running and passing offense I had seen in years...I gotta believe we have more talent *now* on our team than NW had back then - So here's hoping we see sparks fly from our offense this year...It may take a few games - But I think we will see some great things from the offense....JMHO...!

Rocking on...

TheGodfather889
8/14/2006, 02:36 PM
The receivers I think in 2003 and 2004 were alot better than the ones from 2000-2002. The ball did primarily go to Mark Clayton in 2003. But the ball was spread around in 2004. I think Mark Clayton,Mark Bradley,Travis Wilson, and Will Peoples were better than Antoine Savage,Curtis Fagan,Andre Woolfolk and Damien Mackey.

pgagolfpro77
8/14/2006, 02:41 PM
I think Mark Clayton,Mark Bradley,Travis Wilson, and Will Peoples were better than Antoine Savage,Curtis Fagan,Andre Woolfolk and Damien Mackey.

ya think??

:D

caphorns
8/14/2006, 02:46 PM
You had a better OL back then for one thing. Plus, Texas' D struggled against any fun-n-gun attack (see Tech games). Let me also mention that we ran that funky 4-2-5 scheme that never worked against a spread passing attack.

85Sooner
8/14/2006, 03:16 PM
I am watching Rhett against oregon in the bowl game last year and he isn't looking so good. Throwing into double coverage, interceptions etc...

What happened between that last game and now that made the speculators think that we would be a top 2 team?

picasso
8/14/2006, 03:17 PM
The receivers I think in 2003 and 2004 were alot better than the ones from 2000-2002. The ball did primarily go to Mark Clayton in 2003. But the ball was spread around in 2004. I think Mark Clayton,Mark Bradley,Travis Wilson, and Will Peoples were better than Antoine Savage,Curtis Fagan,Andre Woolfolk and Damien Mackey.
I wouldn't dog on Savage. He caught everything under the moon in 2000.

and sun.

start8
8/14/2006, 03:20 PM
His circus catch turned the NU game around. Without that catch we don't score on that drive and give the stadium the lift it needed after falling down 14-0 so quickly.

picasso
8/14/2006, 03:24 PM
His circus catch turned the NU game around. Without that catch we don't score on that drive and give the stadium the lift it needed after falling down 14-0 so quickly.
Woolfolk.

'85. Bromar struggled at times but came on strong in the second half. he grew a lot last year but it's all moot now.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/14/2006, 03:25 PM

that was woolfolk.

hitting players in stride is the only thing that separated jason from nate. nate could do it on the long ball, jason could do it on everything else...

JohnnyMack
8/14/2006, 03:26 PM
Woolfolk.

'85. Bromar struggled at times but came on strong in the second half. he grew a lot last year but it's all moot now.

You mean mute.

picasso
8/14/2006, 03:27 PM
You mean mute.
I always pay attention to detal.

caphorns
8/14/2006, 03:41 PM
You mean mute.

You've got to be kidding me.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/14/2006, 03:49 PM
You've got to be kidding me.

*would reply but he's too busy making mute arguments a state or two west of Knoxville*

Mmmmphhphpphhh! ;)

tbl
8/14/2006, 03:51 PM
Sarcasm, whorn. Get it???

caphorns
8/14/2006, 04:15 PM
Can we have a thesaurus for these intentional misspellins' please? I admit: no way can I keep track.

Seems nobody wants to tackle the original point I made on Texas 4-2-5 D sucking eggs against the spread. Face it. This chit cost Texas dearly. It's not like OU was the only spread offense killing us at the time. 2 DC's later and I think this problem has been solved. Good news is that the Aggies plan on running this 4-2-5 crap with Darnell at the helm. In other words, your point is not totally mute.

fadada1
8/14/2006, 04:20 PM
You had a better OL back then for one thing. Plus, Texas' D struggled against any fun-n-gun attack (see Tech games). Let me also mention that we ran that funky 4-2-5 scheme that never worked against a spread passing attack.
the tech game??? have you repressed 63-14??? in your defense, however, 7 of those points were from calmus:D ;)

bri
8/14/2006, 06:31 PM
he grew a lot last year but it's all moot now.

Apparently, not THAT much. :D

picasso
8/14/2006, 08:18 PM
I grew.

goingoneight
8/14/2006, 09:00 PM
I really don't see any reason why Tejas fans make excuses for the 2000 and 2003 games... They were ranked and were pretty damn good those two years. I know this will strike up the 2005 game, but think about that one for a minute... No 2. Team in America vs. unranked, young, inexperienced OU squad.

The 2003 OU team was a rapid-fire machine that just ran out of gas. The reason still escapes me why that was, but Tejas got beat in 2003 for a reason. We were flat-out better in every aspect of the game in 2003 than Tejas. They were bigger, faster, stronger, and more experienced than UT. Some games you just flat-out get beat. We've seen a few of those in recent years, ourselves.

Oh, and BTW... Jason White threw the most accurate passes I ever saw a QB throw in his final years, a lot of that had to do with being on campus and in the Chuck Long mix for five + years. While he was always accurate, he was ineffective when a bigass linebacker came running right at him with the peg legs.

bixby28
8/14/2006, 09:28 PM
truth be told, i don't think there is a weak starting WR on the team right now. There's just as much size/speed/potential with the current group as there was on the 2003 and 2004 offenses. It'll be interesting to see whether they really blossom into the type of players Clayton, Wilson and Brandon Jones this season, but in my opinion there is no talent shortage with these group of wideouts.

Once the passing game develops early this season there will be some serious YAC with these guys