PDA

View Full Version : Chris Chester Article

sooneriniowa
8/14/2006, 01:49 AM
Didn't see this posted. Good article on his continued transition from TE to Interior Line. They currently have him as 2nd Team at RG.
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article.jsp?id=11504

Change For The Better
By Patrick M. Gleason
August 11, 2006
Venturing into the NFL is a monstrous transformation for any rookie. Without a doubt, the ranks of collegiate football just can't compare to those on the professional scene.

Ravens rookie Chris Chester is accustomed to change, though. In fact, he embraces it.

A young man who's been riding a powerful whirlwind the past year-and-a-half, Chester's life took a 180-degree turn upon entering spring football practice his senior year.

Jennifer Hinkle
Chester has made a tough transition to offensive lineman.
It all started when the University of Oklahoma coaching staff determined that his abilities on the gridiron were better suited for the trenches rather than out in the flat. Permanently switching Chester from tight end to the interior offensive line - where he momentarily experimented during '04 spring drills - his coaches realized that their initial premonition actually hadn't been far off.

Since he only saw action his junior season as a reserve tight end in short-yardage situations, Chester fully welcomed his new full-time role and geared up for the challenge facing him. Putting on 60 pounds before spring practice, he worked tirelessly to prepare for his final campaign at OU in hopes of earning significant playing time.

"I looked forward to it," Chester reflected on the tough transition. "I was kind of anxious to see how it would all work out. I really didn't know my own ability. I practiced and went against good players, but until I could get into a game and battle there, I really had no idea what I could do."

What Chester did was something that not only surprised himself, but also NFL scouts across the nation. Making the Sooners' coaching staff look like geniuses, the 6-3, 305-pound Tustin, Calif. native blossomed. Appearing in nine games on the season, Chester started three contests at center and four at right guard. Piling up 25 pancake blocks and five touchdown blocks, he helped OU average 355.1 offensive yards per game.

After being relatively unknown just six months earlier, NFL franchises came flocking Chester's way during the 2006 Combine. Drooling over his unbridled potential and what Ravens director of college scouting Eric DeCosta called "amazing athleticism," teams lined up to get a look at the receiver-turned-blocker.

"He's probably one of the best athletes on the offensive line to come out (of college) in the last five years," DeCosta noted. "There are probably some guys who are similar, but he's pretty gifted. He's a guy who we think has tremendous upside at the guard/center position."

The Ravens believed Chester had so much to offer that they made him their second-round draft choice (56th overall). Already, just two weeks into training camp, Baltimore's coaching team has Chester listed second on the depth chart behind Keydrick Vincent heading into Friday's preseason opener versus the New York Giants.

Ask Chester how he's fared during Baltimore's early stints of camp, and he'll provide a candid response, all while not forgetting his roots and the hurried - yet booming - path he's taken over the past year.

"I think I have progressed quite a bit since I took on offensive line duties," he stated. "Remember, I was still learning how to be an O-lineman last year at this time. There are certain ways you do things and prepare yourself that I needed to understand. (OU offensive line) coach (Kevin) Wilson prepared me very well, to help me get that whole mentality about how to be an offensive lineman. But still, I have a long way to go.

"(Since coming to Baltimore) I've learned that you have to be consistent. Being on the offensive line is not always the prettiest job. Even though you may play well, it's not very glamorous. I always knew that, because really, it's a blue-collar job. And, I take a lot of pride in that. You probably will not be on any Wheaties boxes. But, your teammates, the coaching staff and all the people around you who understand football really do appreciate what you do."

One of the teammates who values the integral role offensive linemen play in a scoring attack's success is fellow Ravens rookie Quinn Sypniewski. A fifth-round pick from Colorado, the 6-6, 270-pound tight end was brought in mainly for his staunch blocking abilities. After having spent valuable time throughout camp on the second-string offense with Chester and watching much film, Sypniewski also notices the promise his new teammate possesses.

"He may be the most athletic offensive lineman I've ever seen," Sypniewski marveled. "There aren't very many guards and centers with the kind of quick feet and agility that he has.

"You can see it in his blocking. He goes to block his man, and then right at the point of attack, he bursts into a whole other gear. If he continues like that, I know he'll have a great deal of success in the NFL."

But Chester isn't really looking down the line or too far into the future. Right now, he admits that the only thing on his mind is getting better each day. What he wants out of himself and the Ravens' O-line is nothing but taking care of business in the present.

And certainly, that's an M.O. one would expect to hear from a 23-year-old, who not so long ago couldn't even fathom being in the NFL, let alone becoming a first-day draft choice.

Jennifer Hinkle
Chester's mobility and strength are assets on the line.
"To be honest, I did not imagine this. I'd hear about all these other (offensive linemen) with accolades and elaborate careers (during college), and I knew I was not one of them. I was a short-yardage tight end. I never had any idea I'd be here and have a shot at the NFL.

"I am really trying to stay very mellow about the whole thing," Chester added, when describing his desire to face New York in his first professional game. "Obviously, I am excited and focused, but I'm trying not to get too overwhelmed with emotion where I make myself too nervous to make plays. I am trying to stay very even keel."

Fortunately for Chester, he's been able to preserve that mindset and remain confidently composed thanks to his biggest support system of all: family.

In what was another significant development in his life, Chester married his wife, Kirbie, in June of 2005, and the couple welcomed their first child, Sean Hendrix, into the world just six months ago.

"They have been very supportive during this hectic time," Chester affirmed. "It's really nice to go home and see my son, because he always has a big smile on his face. Family life mellows you down, and it's a time when you take a deep breath and realize how they are really supportive. I'm glad I have them with me, because they mean more than anything, no matter what happens on the field."

Knowing that the most important people in his life are with him every step of the way - and that he's capable of capturing goals he may have once never deemed attainable - Chester is primed to tackle (or perhaps in his case, block) any future challenge.

"I'm excited for each game, because I know there are going to be a lot of new experiences for me," he continued. "I am interested in seeing how I continue to develop. I want to soak up everything about the NFL experience. I'm ready to get this thing rolling."

Egeo
8/14/2006, 03:57 AM
nice read

umberto
8/14/2006, 08:49 AM
Talk about being in the right place at the right time. He went from being a backup TE to a rising star at OL.