PDA

View Full Version : AD #2 College Freshman of all time

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
8/13/2006, 10:16 PM
Don't know if it has been posted yet but according to SI AD is the #2 freshman in the history of college football. He is behind only Herschel Walker. Of course the list also contains Maurice Clarett:eek: So I guess you can take it for what is worth.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0608/10.greatest.freshmen/content.1.html

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/14/2006, 02:07 AM
I gotta go with Marcus DuPree #1 freshman.

Duke o Brewery
8/14/2006, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the post.

Egeo
8/14/2006, 03:51 AM
well tosu is not the champion in 02 without clarett
thug or not

SoonerInFla
8/14/2006, 05:23 AM
I didn't see anybody on the list that I'd take over Jamelle Holieway.

AllVol
8/14/2006, 07:23 AM
I have posted several times that AD is only 2nd to Herschel as a frosh... What a year he had... Only difference was, if I remember right, Herschel won the NC...

Jason White's Third Knee
8/14/2006, 08:44 AM
Honestly, I don't think that anyone has had a better frosh year than AD... not even Herschel. Herschel got the MNC, but was outrushed 300 yds by AD. OU made it to the BCS NC game. We got torched, but I can't hang that on AD. Mark Bradley, maybe, but not AD.

umberto
8/14/2006, 08:55 AM
That is an interesting list. There are more pro busts (Katzenmoyer, Rocket, Dayne, Mike Williams, Clarett, Walker to a certain extent) than successes (Faulk, Dorsett, Vick) and unknowns (AD). I guess a great start rarely translates into a great career.

Big Red Ron
8/14/2006, 09:01 AM
I guess they forgot about J. Holliway.

soonerjoker
8/14/2006, 09:01 AM
walker wasn't a "bust".

soonerjoker
8/14/2006, 09:03 AM
lotsa guys didn't get to play as fro0sh. anyone before 1972.

Big Red Ron
8/14/2006, 09:04 AM
Must be thinking about Bo.

sooneron
8/14/2006, 09:17 AM
Honestly, I don't think that anyone has had a better frosh year than AD... not even Herschel. Herschel got the MNC, but was outrushed 300 yds by AD. OU made it to the BCS NC game. We got torched, but I can't hang that on AD. Mark Bradley, maybe, but not AD.
In fairness, Herschel played in 12 games that year. AD played in 13.

Octavian
8/14/2006, 09:47 AM
1. Herschel Walker
2. AD
3. Faulk
4. Ron Dayne
5. Dorsett
6. Vick
7. Mike Williams
8. Clarett
9. Rocket Ismail
10. Andy Katzenmoyer

Pretty good list but I would've put Vick higher and included at least one of the two QBs that won a NC as a freshman (Kosar or Holieway).

AD or Walker is a toss-up...but Georgia won the NC so that's probably why he got the nod.

I'm still not sure how Ismail never won a Heisman at some point...but only 3 of their choices wound up winning a Heisman....hope AD helps them out w/ that.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/14/2006, 09:52 AM
In fairness, Herschel played in 12 games that year. AD played in 13.

Noted. I guess you'd probably have to give it to Herschel then, but just barely....

...and Herschel was no bust in the NFL. He was a beast. He was always on a a bad team though. Like Barry sanders.

Bo was not a bust either. I think he was the greatest of all time. He had it all. I loved the Raiders back then... and I still hate baseball.

The Maestro
8/14/2006, 10:18 AM
I don't see how that list can have any respect with leaving off Jamelle. Good Lord, he wasn't even the highly recruited quarterback in that class at OU! That went to the incredibly heralded Eric Mitchel. I was selling Pepsi's in the north end zone that year and when Troy went down I just assumed number 1 was going to come trotting out on the field and the Eric Mitchel era would begin. Instead, it was number 4 and it took until about midway through his junior year for the T.V. announcers to get his name right, ala Jameel Hollywell.

Not to mention, that was a VERY young OU team he was leading. He didn't just come in and have the chance to stay out of the way...he was the catalyst with a young line and backfield. I think that class of '85 had one of the fewest group of seniors in OU which is evidenced by the fact that so many of the starters on that team graduated in 87.

umberto
8/14/2006, 11:08 AM
walker wasn't a "bust".

Maybe bust was too strong a word. He had a solid NFL career, but I don't think he lived up to the hype he received as a college player.

usmc-sooner
8/14/2006, 11:14 AM
I was so glad when Herschel left Dallas

AllVol
8/14/2006, 01:55 PM
I was so glad when Herschel left Dallas

B/c they got 7,524 players and picks in return?

umberto
8/14/2006, 02:03 PM

I'll bet that Vikings GM still can't walk right.:D

AllVol
8/14/2006, 02:22 PM
I'll bet that Vikings GM still can't walk right.:D

If he can, we know its at least NOT to the Vikings GM office... :eek:

tulsaoilerfan
8/14/2006, 07:38 PM
:D :D :D :D

umberto
8/14/2006, 08:01 PM
If he can, we know its at least NOT to the Vikings GM office... :eek:

It probably cost a lot of people their jobs.

AllVol
8/14/2006, 08:06 PM

It also created another era of a dynasty... Funny how that works...

bixby28
8/14/2006, 09:36 PM
I hope AD can get a solid front 5 to run behind this year, if there are 5 guys who can just allow him to get to the line of scrimmage he and Paul Thompson will flourish.

bixby28
8/14/2006, 09:40 PM
Noted. I guess you'd probably have to give it to Herschel then, but just barely....

...and Herschel was no bust in the NFL. He was a beast. He was always on a a bad team though. Like Barry sanders.

Bo was not a bust either. I think he was the greatest of all time. He had it all. I loved the Raiders back then... and I still hate baseball.

Bo Jackson was one of the greats. I read a post online, (can't remember the site) but it was talking about some of the 40yd dash times Bo ran in the NFL combine being in the 4.1 range. He had no weaknesses in his game before the injury

Big Red Ron
8/15/2006, 08:57 AM
Bo was a bust because of injury. I loved the dude but any career that short has to be considered a bust.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/15/2006, 09:22 AM
Bo at 6'1", 222 lbs., ran a 4.12 40 yard dash at the 1986 NFL combine, as reported in the February 27, 1986, USA Today. This was one of the fastest NFL 40 times ever, regardless of position, and demonstrated strength comparable to the likes of Jim Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Brown). In his four seasons in the NFL, Jackson rushed for 2,782 yards and 16 touchdowns with an average yards per carry of 5.4. He also caught 40 passes for 352 yards and 2 touchdowns. Jackson's 221 yards on November 30 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_30), 1987 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_NFL_season) is still a Monday Night Football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monday_Night_Football) record.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/15/2006, 09:22 AM

Yeah, about seven Cowboys, when all the Vikings showed up.

GDC
8/15/2006, 10:08 AM
At his current pace, Adrian Peterson will pass Billy Sims' all-time rushing record in Week 8 against Missouri.

Peterson closing in
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
8/15/2006

Before every Oklahoma football game, Adrian Peterson tells Memorial Stadium patrons, "There's only one Billy Sims."

Sims, of course, reciprocates. But Sims said Monday night that his favorite Sooner is Joe Washington. And Washington says his favorite is Greg Pruitt.

So who's the best?

"Joe said it best last night," said former Washington teammate and OU linebacker Jimbo Elrod. "How do you pick the best running back at OU? Steve Owens, Billy Sims, Greg Pruitt, Joe Washington, Mike Gaddis, Quentin Griffin and on and on. They all had certain styles."

Washington said that during his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame, so he should know. But by the end of the 2006 football season, the debate will be between Peterson and Sims.

Peterson goes into his junior season needing just 1,090 yards to supplant Sims as the program's all-time rushing king. Just 1,090? Sounds like a lot. But Peterson's rookie season resulted in 1,925 yards. In his two seasons, he's averaged 142 yards per game when healthy. At that rate, a healthy Peterson would pass Sims' total of 4,118 in Week 8 at Missouri, and would still have at least four games to go, maybe six.

"They're both very good backs," former Sooner coach Barry Switzer said at Monday night's Legends in Sports Rivalry dinner at the Renaissance Tulsa Hotel. "Different types of backs, but both very good. Adrian will obviously, if they have a good season and he stays healthy, end up the statistical leader. More carries, more yards. But I've never been a statistics guy.

"What's the best statistic? Touchdowns? Then Steve Owens is the best player. Total yards? It's Billy. Average per carry? Greg (Pruitt), and Billy. Statistics come down, to me, to what ball games you do it in."

Monday's event, produced by Tulsa Sports Charities and benefiting the Center for Individuals with Physical Challenges, the FCA and the Special Olympics, featured college football dignitaries from Oklahoma and Nebraska, including Switzer, Sims, ex-Cornhuskers coach Tom Osborne and '83 Nebraska Heisman winner Mike Rozier.

Switzer, Osborne, Arkansas' Frank Broyles and Oklahoma State's Pat Jones -- the all-time coaching victories leaders at their schools -- met before dinner and discussed, among other things, great running backs.

Jones, an NFL assistant the last decade and now co-host of a Tulsa radio show, said he still hasn't seen Peterson in person so didn't feel right comparing him with Sims.

"I saw Sims, unfortunately, with my own eyes," Jones said. "We got a good dose of him."

Said Osborne, "It seems like Peterson is a little bit more of a straight-up-and-down runner. Runs awfully hard. Billy Sims was a little more compact. Peterson's a tall guy. Maybe with Billy, it was a little harder to get a clean shot at him. He ran a little lower."

Jones and Broyles are close to Arkansas' Houston Nutt, and the Razorbacks' coach nearly landed Peterson. They both said Nutt confided that Peterson in high school had the potential to be the best -- not just the best Sooner running back, but the best ball carrier of all time.

"Houston told me that when he was recruiting him," Broyles said. "There was Peterson, and then there was the rest of them."

Monday's consensus determined that Peterson is bigger and faster, but Sims was more elusive and perhaps a little stronger. Peterson runs with more power, Sims with more flare.

"The only difference I see is he's a little faster, bigger," Sims said. "I was more finesse. I didn't try to run anybody over unless I had to. I used to dive a lot. You don't see guys doing that any more. But he's the total package, without a doubt."

For the record, Peterson is 6-foot-2, will play this season at 218 pounds and ran a 4.37-second 40-yard dash last spring. Sims was a shade under 6-foot, played his senior year at 215 and as an NFL rookie clocked 4.4 in the 40.

"If I tossed it wide, I'd probably rather have Sims," Broyles said. "If I went up inside, I'd probably have Peterson."

Sims' 1978 and '79 seasons were as good as any two years in college football history. He scored 45 touchdowns and averaged 1,783 yards per season and 7.2 yards per carry. He won the '78 Heisman and "got screwed out of the second one" in 1979, Switzer said, when he gained almost 600 yards in his final two games after most of the Heisman votes had been submitted. USC's Charles White won it.

Peterson, on the other hand, put up his best numbers just a year removed from high school. Sims' first three seasons netted just 552 yards because of injuries, immaturity and a backfield filled with Washington, Kenny King and Elvis Peacock.

Peterson, physically, was NFL-ready the day he walked on campus, Sims said.

"I was probably a year behind," Sims said. "I wasn't on that level."

Peterson's freshman year netted 1,925 yards and 15 touchdowns. He led the nation in rushing attempts and finished second in the Heisman balloting, the best ever for a freshman.

Also significant are each runner's offensive formations. Most of Peterson's yards have come out of the I-formation, where he's virtually the only running threat. Sims didn't get nearly as many plays because he played in the wishbone, where he split carries with the other halfback, the fullback and even the quarterback.

Then again, Peterson's offenses have averaged 29.7 pass plays per game. Sims' in 1978-79 averaged 8.0.

Why bother comparing, Switzer asked.

"We're talking about greatness," Switzer said. "Billy and Adrian are two of the best that ever played at Oklahoma."

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected].