PDA

View Full Version : So, I saw World Trade Center today...

bri
8/13/2006, 10:16 PM
...and it KICKED MY ***.

Seriously, I never knew there were so many ways a film can make you weep. Sorrow, anger, hope, joy...simply amazing and overwhelming.

yermom
8/13/2006, 10:27 PM
i thought it was pretty good, i'm not exactly going to race out and see it again anytime soon though

walkoffsooner
8/14/2006, 12:12 AM
Fiction or not?

Rhino
8/14/2006, 01:16 AM
Fiction or not? From what I've read about Will Jimeno and John McLoughlin's story, it's pretty damn close to how everything went down. Only a few things were different than the real story.

The real Will Jimeno was even in it as an extra.

yermom
8/14/2006, 06:49 AM
SPOILER TAGS!!1

soonerjoker
8/14/2006, 08:50 AM
everyone should see it. we need a constant reminder of what this scum will do.

GottaHavePride
8/14/2006, 09:04 AM
So, are they donating all the profits to rebuilding and/or the families of the deceased? 'Cause otherwise I don't plan to see it - I have a problem with people profiting off mass tragedy.

BeetDigger
8/14/2006, 09:17 AM
I have a problem with people profiting off mass tragedy.

I feel the same way about documentaries meant to sway elections. :D

bri
8/14/2006, 09:21 AM
everyone should see it. we need a constant reminder of what this scum will do.

I prefer to think of it as a constant reminder that no matter what this scum does, we will always find a way to rise above.

soonerjoker
8/14/2006, 09:24 AM
bri
yep, i'll go for that.

GDC
8/14/2006, 09:30 AM
I saw Flight 93 recently, I don't think I'll be watching any more 9/11 films.

bri
8/14/2006, 09:37 AM
Dude, see this one. I watched it for the very reason I didn't want to see Flight 93; it's a more hopeful and uplifting set of events.

JohnnyMack
8/14/2006, 09:41 AM
I don't know about this. I mean I already know what happens. And like someone else said earlier, why let them profit off of this?

picasso
8/14/2006, 09:43 AM
United 93 was like a documetary, this is more of the human/feeling side of that tradgic day, no?
I can't get past the casting of Nic Cage and his fakey accent. well that and it's a Stone flick.

bri
8/14/2006, 09:43 AM
I'll buy that arguement, but only if you've never paid to watch a war movie, Titanic, Schindler's List, etc...

bri
8/14/2006, 09:44 AM
well that and it's a Stone flick.

That's just sad.

JohnnyMack
8/14/2006, 09:46 AM
I'll buy that arguement, but only if you've never paid to watch a war movie, Titanic, Schindler's List, etc...

OK, then I prolly won't see it because I know what happens, it has Nicholas Cage in it and with a new baby I'm deluding myself if I think I'm going to have any time to go see a movie in the near future.

picasso
8/14/2006, 09:53 AM
That's just sad.
Natural Born Killers was top notch IMO.

Platoon and JFK were chock full of loads of bull****.:)

yermom
8/14/2006, 11:13 AM
i always hear that about Platoon... what was so BS about it? i don't really remember that much about it

skycat
8/14/2006, 11:20 AM
OK, then I prolly won't see it because I know what happens, it has Nicholas Cage in it and with a new baby I'm deluding myself if I think I'm going to have any time to go see a movie in the near future.

You'll be lucky to get through a DVD without hitting pause.

SicEmBaylor
8/14/2006, 11:26 AM
So, are they donating all the profits to rebuilding and/or the families of the deceased? 'Cause otherwise I don't plan to see it - I have a problem with people profiting off mass tragedy.

Nevermind. Bri already asked it.
I'd add Gettysburg to that list though.

sanantoniosooner
8/14/2006, 11:28 AM
Why is nobody upset that Pat doesn't get proceeds from 40 year old virgin?

bri
8/14/2006, 11:39 AM
Oh, SNAP!

picasso
8/14/2006, 01:22 PM
belch

GottaHavePride
8/14/2006, 01:54 PM

For the record: correct, I have never paid to see any of those. I think the first time I watched Schindler's List was when Ford sponsored the commercial-free network broadcast of it.

;)

bri
8/14/2006, 02:32 PM
What about all other subsequent viewings?

Ever watch any movies about true-life suffering or tragedy on cable, basic or premium? Rent any? Ever bought a copy of The Diary of Anne Frank?

GottaHavePride
8/14/2006, 02:37 PM

Ever watch any movies about true-life suffering or tragedy on cable, basic or premium? Rent any? Ever bought a copy of The Diary of Anne Frank?

Heh. I'm not big on the true-life-suffering genre. ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/14/2006, 03:06 PM
I saw on The Today Show where they talked to a whole gob of the families and stuff while they were making the movie. They had a family of a firefighter that died in one of the towers on and they said it was so real they had to stop watching and take a break and stuff.

I want to see it but I know I'll just bawl my eyeballs out. But maybe I should...

yermom
8/14/2006, 03:10 PM
um yeah, there will be some crying

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/14/2006, 03:19 PM

i'm a sponsor, does that count?

BeetDigger
8/14/2006, 03:21 PM
Heh. I'm not big on the true-life-suffering genre. ;)

Then how do you have the strength to read the posts in the SO? :texan:

tbl
8/14/2006, 03:27 PM
You'll be lucky to get through a DVD without hitting pause.
If you don't have a DVR yet, it's a must have. Also, captions become your best friend. I'm at the point to where I'm so dependent on captions, I turn them on wherever I visit (and thus drive everybody else crazy). I'm amazed at how much the comprehension goes up when you're reading what's going on while watching it.

I'll probably see a matinee today or tomorrow.

skycat
8/14/2006, 03:58 PM
If you don't have a DVR yet, it's a must have. Also, captions become your best friend. I'm at the point to where I'm so dependent on captions, I turn them on wherever I visit (and thus drive everybody else crazy). I'm amazed at how much the comprehension goes up when you're reading what's going on while watching it.

I'll probably see a matinee today or tomorrow.

I was trying to watch Deadwood last night and it was like, watch 5 minutes, rewind 3.

Of course, too much longer and watching Deadwood with Biggun' awake will be a strict no-no.

****suckers

BeetDigger
8/14/2006, 04:09 PM
I was trying to watch Deadwood last night and it was like, watch 5 minutes, rewind 3.

Of course, too much longer and watching Deadwood with Biggun' awake will be a strict no-no.

****suckers

Deadwood - worst possible name for a pron movie - evar. :texan:

TexasLidig8r
8/14/2006, 04:12 PM
I saw on The Today Show where they talked to a whole gob of the families and stuff while they were making the movie. They had a family of a firefighter that died in one of the towers on and they said it was so real they had to stop watching and take a break and stuff.

I want to see it but I know I'll just bawl my eyeballs out. But maybe I should...

it is just so cute when a woman uses the term "and stuff."

Frozen Sooner
8/14/2006, 08:33 PM
FWIW, the gross from the first weekend WAS donated to a 9/11 fund.

yermom
8/14/2006, 11:46 PM
wow, the gross

that's a pretty good chunk of how much it will probably make overall

Frozen Sooner
8/15/2006, 12:06 AM
You know, after I did some research, that was wrong.

They're donating 10% of the opening weekend gross.

Which is still all right in my book.

yermom
8/15/2006, 01:44 AM
right now that is something like $2 Million

they haven't broke even on it yet though...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart

colleyvillesooner
1/20/2007, 01:12 AM
Watched it tonight. Liked it alot. Got the lump going in the throat a few times, and the eye were wellin. That's as close as I get to crying at a movie, and it got me there a few times.

If you are like my parents and aren't ready to see movies about this stuff yet, stop. Go buy this movie, watch it, and save it for your kids/grandkids. It's no epic, but it'll help describe one small iota of what it must have been like to be there.

picasso
1/20/2007, 01:31 AM
sorry but I heard the movie was a crock of ****. no offense.

colleyvillesooner
1/20/2007, 01:37 AM
Maybe you should see for yourself.

I went in with no preconceived notions about it and liked it. Just knew what it was generally about.

Maybe I'm a moron though ;)

picasso
1/20/2007, 01:45 AM
melodramatic bull**** fiction is what I heard.

colleyvillesooner
1/20/2007, 01:57 AM
to each his own.

def_lazer_fc
1/20/2007, 06:53 AM
i saw it. i thought it was melodramatic garbage. it was so generic in its shameless play for emotions. take out the part about 9-11 and i doubt that many people would even consider it a decent flick.

StoopTroup
1/20/2007, 10:10 AM
I liked "The Doors".

http://www149.pair.com/marilynn/000wow1.JPG

colleyvillesooner
1/20/2007, 12:03 PM
take out the part about it being directed by Oliver Stone and i doubt that many people would even consider it a garbage flick.

Fixed

Scott D
1/20/2007, 12:55 PM
Watched it tonight. Liked it alot. Got the lump going in the throat a few times, and the eye were wellin. That's as close as I get to crying at a movie, and it got me there a few times.

If you are like my parents and aren't ready to see movies about this stuff yet, stop. Go buy this movie, watch it, and save it for your kids/grandkids. It's no epic, but it'll help describe one small iota of what it must have been like to be there.

you were so not gellin.

colleyvillesooner
1/20/2007, 02:59 PM
heh, I thought of that as I typed it. Nicely played.

:D