PDA

View Full Version : how stupid does houston look now???

fadada1
8/13/2006, 02:14 PM
while i'm no reggie bush fan, the kid is a gamebreaker.

houston is just plain stupid.

and that's all i have to say about that.

Newbomb Turk
8/13/2006, 02:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing this morning when I was watching Sportscenter.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/13/2006, 02:50 PM
I have him on my fantasy team

I hope he stays healthy and plays well

trwxxa
8/13/2006, 03:11 PM
After one pre season game.........

mrowl
8/13/2006, 05:03 PM
houston made the right move. and that probably will still be the same response in 2 years.

badger
8/13/2006, 05:06 PM
mario williams wasn't going to hold out. reggie bush was.

if houston is looking to build a TEAM and not have individual stars, it seems like they made the right choice at the time of the draft.

in hindsight, they probably could have really screwed with the nfl by trading bush's draft rights (aka the #1 spot) and still got williams later in the first round. Every team at the top of the draft would have been 100 percent screwed with the salaries bush (and players immediately after bush) would command.

And the Texans would have still been able to sign williams for realitively the same contract.

GDC
8/13/2006, 05:07 PM
The NFL wanted Bush in New Orleans for PR reasons.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2006/060813_b3_saint_b3saints13.jpg

GDC
8/13/2006, 05:09 PM
Saints return: Another step toward normalcy
By Associated Press
8/13/2006

For New Orleans residents, team's arrival is a blessed bit of the life they remembered.
NEW ORLEANS -- Calvin Ellis' home bears little resemblance to the one he fled almost a year ago, when Hurricane Katrina chased him and thousands of others from New Orleans.

The walls are the only thing salvageable, and it will be weeks, if not months, before his house is rebuilt. Home these days is a doublewide trailer parked on his front lawn. Much of his Lower Ninth Ward neighborhood, hit hardest by the hurricane nearly a year ago, remains a wasteland of debris piles, crumpled houses, weeds and bulldozed lots. Traffic lights aren't working, and many street signs are handmade.

With challenges like these remaining across the city, talk of the New Orleans Saints coming back to town seems almost trivial. For residents, though, the return of their beloved team is a blessed bit of normalcy.

"We need that. We really need that," Ellis said. "It's an uplifting thing. It's excitement. I want to see something from New Orleans come back."

The Saints, who opened the preseason Saturday night in Nashville, already have sold a record 55,000 season tickets, and no single-game tickets are expected to be available. Reggie Bush jerseys are hot items.

When the Saints march into the rebuilt Superdome on Sept. 25 for a Monday night game, residents say it will be a sign to the entire world that the city is on its way back.

"This season is going to be about more than just football," said Bush, who set off celebrations around the city when he was drafted and is already so popular he's known simply by his first name.

"It's going to be about the city," Bush said. "Playing for the people here, trying to bring some sort of happiness back to the city and give them something to be proud about."

Look no further than the Superdome itself, ravaged by wind, water and the 30,000 people who used it for shelter when Hurricane Katrina ripped through the city last Aug. 29. Today its roof, a symbol of Katrina's horror with its gaping holes, is gleaming white again, bright enough to be seen for miles.

A banner on the side of the arena announces, "Reopening 9-25-2006. Go Saints."

"It was the poster child for misery and suffering," said Doug Thornton, the regional vice president of SMG, the company that manages the Superdome. "If they see the dome being rebuilt, they're going to have confidence that the city is going to come back. That my neighborhood, my home can be rebuilt."

That might sound like a tall order for a building and a bunch of guys who run, pass and tackle. But New Orleans always has had a unique -- if somewhat tortured -- relationship with its favorite team.

Despite having Archie Manning, the Saints didn't have a winning season until 1987 and have had only seven in their 39 years. New Orleans has hosted nine Super Bowls; six were at the Superdome, with the most recent in 2002.

But the Saints never came close to making any of them. They've been to the playoffs five times, winning one game.

The Saints were so bad in the early years that fans took to calling them the "Aints." Legend has it the tradition of embarrassed fans putting paper bags over their heads began in New Orleans.

Still, the Saints are New Orleans' team.

"I sometimes feel like I'm going to give up on them, but I never do," said Mike Alaimo, a fan from suburban Metairie. "It's part of our heritage.".

I_Live_In_OK
8/13/2006, 05:10 PM
...yeah but I like Booty.

BudSooner
8/13/2006, 05:21 PM
I have no answer to that.

Primo
8/13/2006, 05:43 PM
while i'm no reggie bush fan, the kid is a gamebreaker.

houston is just plain stupid.

and that's all i have to say about that.

The vast majority of TEXANS fans have said the same thing.

fadada1
8/13/2006, 05:43 PM
The NFL wanted Bush in New Orleans for PR reasons.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2006/060813_b3_saint_b3saints13.jpg
kinda looks that way after a saints game.

stoopified
8/13/2006, 06:40 PM
I still have a rather sizeable distaste for Reggie.

umberto
8/13/2006, 06:49 PM
You have to wonder if Williams will be solid, but not spectacular. Even if he tears it up, he can never live up to the hype of being picked first over Reggie Bush.

JohnnyMack
8/14/2006, 09:25 AM
Anybody that tries to do any sort of spin-doctoring in this matter and tries to fool themselves into thinking that Reggie Bush wasn't the right choice, regardless of what it cost is either insane or living in denial.

pb4ou
8/14/2006, 09:50 AM
Someone called in on a national sports radio talk show yesterday and made the comment that Houston knew exactly what they were doing. They got Mario Williams, but will have such a bad season that they will get the first draft pick again and get Adrian Peterson.

I just chuckled.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/14/2006, 10:00 AM
mario williams wasn't going to hold out. reggie bush was.

if houston is looking to build a TEAM and not have individual stars, it seems like they made the right choice at the time of the draft.

in hindsight, they probably could have really screwed with the nfl by trading bush's draft rights (aka the #1 spot) and still got williams later in the first round. Every team at the top of the draft would have been 100 percent screwed with the salaries bush (and players immediately after bush) would command.

And the Texans would have still been able to sign williams for realitively the same contract.

If you want to put asses in the seats, get yourself a Reggie Bush. NO WAY I pass up Reggie Bush.... and I HATE Reggie Bush. Think of the jersey and bobblehead doll sales.

He single handedly won usc 7 games over the last 2 years that they should have LOST. Personnaly I believe that if Carroll had given the ball to Bush on 4th down instead of Lendale (the bust) White, we'd have to hear about the greatest team in college history forever and ever, amen. Bleccch.

soonerhubs
8/14/2006, 10:07 AM
Someone called in on a national sports radio talk show yesterday and made the comment that Houston knew exactly what they were doing. They got Mario Williams, but will have such a bad season that they will get the first draft pick again and get Adrian Peterson.

I just chuckled.
heh! Now that may have been a wise choice. Never thought of it that way.:)

Jason White's Third Knee
8/14/2006, 10:11 AM
heh! Now that may have been a wise choice. Never thought of it that way.:)

Imagine having AD and Bush in the Backfield. OMFG.

The Maestro
8/14/2006, 10:22 AM
If you want to put asses in the seats, get yourself a Reggie Bush. NO WAY I pass up Reggie Bush....

And THIS is what the NFL is ALL about! Jersey sales, commercials, ticket sales...People show up to pro sporting events to see stars. Reggie is going to be a star, plain and simple. I guarantee no one bought season tickets to the Texans this year cause they drafted Mario Williams, but had they drafted Bush they would have sold a bunch more...just for the chance.

We're seeing that in Arizona with the Leinart pick and they haven't even signed the guy yet, which is a whole 'nother thread...!

trwxxa
8/14/2006, 07:36 PM

I just chuckled.

Except that Kubiak is from the Denver mold, which is to not spend a high draft pick on RBs.

Instead you waste them on third rounders like Tatum Bell and Mo-Reese.:D