PDA

View Full Version : how times change

jk the sooner fan
8/13/2006, 08:45 AM
I was watching Band of Brothers last nite, and while watching the scenes where the soldiers were basically "looting" all the silver, etc.....to the victors go the spoils

but it made me think - if that happened today, CNN and the rest of the media would be all over those soldiers and paint it to be ugly americans stealing, etc etc

but we look back at that generation of warriors as hero's - and rightfully so imo

just interesting.....

ChickSoonerFan
8/13/2006, 01:47 PM
Things have become "civilized" now days.

MOST of the time that is a good thing. Not sure in war it is. Unless all sides play by the same rules, the side that chooses not to be civlized can cause much more damage...hence 9/11.

Frozen Sooner
8/13/2006, 02:24 PM
I thought that the US was pretty down on looting enemy dead in WWII as well.

soonerscuba
8/13/2006, 02:30 PM
We all know that if WWII happened today, Bush and Rove would be in the eagle's nest skull-****ing Hitler while decorated veterans like Kerry, Murtha, and Cleland would be bitching to CNN. That makes loads and loads of sense to me.

Jerk
8/13/2006, 02:33 PM
They still do it.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171879&highlight=Iraq

This soldier killed an insurgent, took his rifle, demilled it, brought it home, rebuilt it into a legal firearm.

"we had been getting intel on the insurgents moving the the hills from Muhallabia to Tal afar to avaoid detection since it dumped out right into the suriah neighborhood (insurgent stronghold, real bad place). so we humped into a position for target interdiction in the hills to the south east side of tal afar. night passed pretty uneventful about early morning we see two guys walking through the draws. one carrying an AK, the other a G3. once they came into range I fired with my M-14 (M-21 for you old guys)sniper rifle and took the guy with the G3 down. the other guy started to look around and move when the second round hit him and took him down. we linked up with our QRF and moved to the site where the bodies lay. we took pics and went through their back packs, inside we found the Night vision sight, a beretta model 12 sub gun, mags, bayonet and some other items of intrest. we gathered up the bodies and equipment and headed back to the FOB. the two ****heads were a syrian and jordanian we were told later. when time came to leave i did a commanders letter and brought the specific pieces back. were the rifle came from i dont know. it was the second G3 we had come across in as many weeks.

well here it is in my room in country"

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/rcnpthfndr/fde94cd7.jpg

skycat
8/13/2006, 02:35 PM
I thought that the US was pretty down on looting enemy dead in WWII as well.

Not in the Pacific they weren't.

fadada1
8/13/2006, 02:45 PM
thought the same thing.

but what's worse: swiping some dead german's luger... or cutting the ear off charlie?

i say, "to the victors go the spoils" - just leave their ears on.

tulsaoilerfan
8/13/2006, 03:03 PM
I have no problem with our soldiers taking whatever the hell they can get their hands on, and i wonder if Hitler's personal photo album that the one Easy Company member got is still in his family's possession? That collection would bring some big bucks at an auction.

John

Widescreen
8/13/2006, 03:17 PM
I don't personally have a problem with our servicepeople grabbing some trinkets. If they come across a huge stache of $100 bills, I don't think they should get that - it should be contributed to the rebuilding effort.

One thing that the war in Iraq seems to teach is that fighting a 'civilized' war only extends the war and the casualties. Back in the day, the media wasn't embedded and our military was able to go in and get the job done. If we would've turned Fallujah into a big piece of glass, we'd be having far fewer problems right now but because we'd face an international uproar, we couldn't do that. And so the fighting continues. I suppose that we'll never be able to just go in and win a war ever again due to people's delicate sensitivities. I do have sympathy for innocent children that would get killed but war is an ugly thing and should be shortened at (almost) any cost. Just my .02

fadada1
8/13/2006, 03:45 PM
I don't personally have a problem with our servicepeople grabbing some trinkets. If they come across a huge stache of $100 bills, I don't think they should get that - it should be contributed to the rebuilding effort.

One thing that the war in Iraq seems to teach is that fighting a 'civilized' war only extends the war and the casualties. Back in the day, the media wasn't embedded and our military was able to go in and get the job done. If we would've turned Fallujah into a big piece of glass, we'd be having far fewer problems right now but because we'd face an international uproar, we couldn't do that. And so the fighting continues. I suppose that we'll never be able to just go in and win a war ever again due to people's delicate sensitivities. I do have sympathy for innocent children that would get killed but war is an ugly thing and should be shortened at (almost) any cost. Just my .02
agreed.

do it right the first time and avoid all the problems later.

i have a cousin that was a fighter pilot during vietnam (3 tours). said that the "powers that be" made our people fight with one hand tied behind their back. this seems to be happening again (due in large part to the media coverage). heaven forbid we allow these men to fight to their full extent.

GDC
8/13/2006, 04:27 PM
Not in the Pacific they weren't.

I can verify that through my grandfather, he had some pretty cool Jap "souvenirs".

Winters addresses the Hitler photo album in his most recent book, but I have loaned out my copy and can't remember the details, except that Alton died in a car wreck in the 50s.

85Sooner
8/13/2006, 04:43 PM
I personally feel that most of our media should be fragged.

Okla-homey
8/13/2006, 05:28 PM
I have a CHICOM made potato-masher grenade I found just below the surface under my tent in Asscrackistan. I got the EOD guys to make it safe. Its on my desk now. When I'm having a bad day, I look at it and remember, the worst day in Oklahoma is better than the best day in Asscrackistan.

Just saying.

soonerscuba
8/13/2006, 09:36 PM
Journalists were embedded in WWII as well, just thought I would point that out. At the end of the day ****poor planning and obtuse aims that changed daily turned Iraq into a quagmire, the media just let people know.

Widescreen
8/14/2006, 10:05 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not surprised Cuba feels that way. :rolleyes:

achiro
8/14/2006, 10:23 AM
Journalists were embedded in WWII as well, just thought I would point that out. At the end of the day ****poor planning and obtuse aims that changed daily turned Iraq into a quagmire, the media just let people know.
Back then journalists weren't pansy assed liberals that hated America. They actually supported the war effort. I'm sure they even ignored a few things along the way.

My grandpa was a medic in WWII. He sent back a few things, including a Nazi flag taken off of some famous building. His family back home(my great-grandparents) had a big neighborhood bash and burned it.

OklahomaTuba
8/14/2006, 10:30 AM
At the end of the day ****poor planning and obtuse aims that changed daily turned D-Day into a quagmire, the media just let people know.

Just an example.

If the media of today was involved in WW2, we wouldn't have won, as D-Day would have been the largest military defeat in US history considering the medias obsession with causality counts, destruction, and making us fight wars with one arm tied behind our back.

Thank GOD the American Media actually understood that we were at war with Germany and not the person occupying the White House. How times have changes indeed.

JohnnyMack
8/14/2006, 10:42 AM
Just an example.

If the media of today was involved in WW2, we wouldn't have won, as D-Day would have been the largest military defeat in US history considering the medias obsession with causality counts, destruction, and making us fight wars with one arm tied behind our back.

Thank GOD the American Media actually understood that we were at war with Germany and not the person occupying the White House. How times have changes indeed.

Your efforts at comparing what Hitler did to what Hussein did are laughable.

achiro
8/14/2006, 11:05 AM
Now I know that you couldn't ever find yourself agreeing with Tuba on anything but I don't see where you are getting that at all.
Also comparing two **** heads to figure out which one is the ****tiest doesn't really make much sense to me, they are still both **** heads.

KABOOKIE
8/14/2006, 11:06 AM

http://www.camposgroup.com/images/upload/med/reach.jpg
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACH!

usmc-sooner
8/14/2006, 11:06 AM

they were pretty similar, both were evil dictators. It's just that the liberals seem to like Hussein more. :texan:

JohnnyMack
8/14/2006, 11:14 AM
What I'm getting at is that Hitler murdered 11 million people, invaded 15 or so countries and was pretty much responsible for being the biggest di*k this side of Barry Bonds. What Hussein did (although he was a bad man) pales in comparison. So it is my contention that the media would be more supportive of the U.S.'s war efforts towards Hitler than they would (or are) of their war with Iraq. The reason being the degree of di*kheadedness (will the Scrabble dictionary allow it?) is much different.

KABOOKIE
8/14/2006, 11:21 AM
What I'm getting at is that Hitler murdered 11 million people, invaded 15 or so countries and was pretty much responsible for being the biggest di*k this side of Barry Bonds. What Hussein did (although he was a bad man) pales in comparison. So it is my contention that the media would be more supportive of the U.S.'s war efforts towards Hitler than they would (or are) of their war with Iraq. The reason being the degree of di*kheadedness (will the Scrabble dictionary allow it?) is much different.

Right. Today’s media would have blamed Pearl Harbor on the U.S. Gov’t and called for the troops to return at the site of a burning Dusseldorf.

jk the sooner fan
8/14/2006, 11:23 AM
i do think that Hussein COULD be very similar to Hitler or just as bad if the world were different...put Hussein back in the 30's and 40's and i dont know that things would be that much different

the world has evolved and keeps him in check to some degree

just my opinion

TexasLidig8r
8/14/2006, 11:55 AM

hmmm.. gassing your own people.. gassing Iranians in the Iraq - Iran war... mass executions in Iraq... torture... lobbing missiles at a non-combatant (Israel) during the First Gulf War....

For even more info...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Saddam's_Iraq

Was Hussein responsible, directly or otherwise, for the deaths of 11 million? No.. but the thousands and thousands and thousands of dead souls speak quite clearly about his reprehensible legacy.

usmc-sooner
8/14/2006, 11:59 AM
plus hitler and hussein both had mustaches.

JohnnyMack
8/14/2006, 12:13 PM
Was Hussein responsible, directly or otherwise, for the deaths of 11 million? No.. but the thousands and thousands and thousands of dead souls speak quite clearly about his reprehensible legacy.

Did you miss my "degree of di*kheadedness" line?

OklahomaTuba
8/14/2006, 12:13 PM

Where did I compare or even mention the words Hussein or Hitler in my post?

It was about the media, not those two asshats. Sincere apologies if my post wasn't simple enough.

1stTimeCaller
8/14/2006, 12:16 PM
I have an Uncle whose dad fought in WWII. My Uncle has a German Luger that has never been fired and the letter from his dad's commander authorizing him to bring it back to the States. The story is that they captured a plant that was making the Lugers and CPT Colvert wanted one for himself.

I'm assuming that with the Luger never have been fired and the letter together would be worth some nice coin.

OklahomaTuba
8/14/2006, 12:17 PM
they were pretty similar, both were evil dictators. It's just that the liberals seem to like Hussein more. :texan:

Funny thing is, most "progressives" and left-wing liberals have no problem comparing Bush to hitler. Hell, moveon.org even ran commericals saying the same thing.

Yet when you compare Saddam to Adolf, NO WAY!

Ironic, to say the least.

JohnnyMack
8/14/2006, 12:22 PM
Where did I compare or even mention the words Hussein or Hitler in my post?

It was about the media, not those two asshats. Sincere apologies if my post wasn't simple enough.

I've read enough of your posts to be able to connect the dots.

:D

JohnnyMack
8/14/2006, 12:24 PM
Funny thing is, most "progressives" and left-wing liberals have no problem comparing Bush to hitler. Hell, moveon.org even ran commericals saying the same thing.

Yet when you compare Saddam to Adolf, NO WAY!

I've never compared W to Hitler. Hitler had charisma and used proper grammar and syntax.

TexasLidig8r
8/14/2006, 12:27 PM
Did you miss my "degree of di*kheadedness" line?

No.. I saw it... perhaps you may be jumping the shark a bit in this thread from lack of sleep and no possibility of sex until.. oh... 2008. ;)

OklahomaTuba
8/14/2006, 12:28 PM
I've read enough of your posts to be able to connect the dots.

:D

So, show me where I compared the two then.

OklahomaTuba
8/14/2006, 12:30 PM
BTW, some interesting pics from a "peace" rally in San Francisco.
I just love the smell of peace, diversity and liberalism in the air...

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/pictures/20060812SanFran01.jpg

http://www.zombietime.com/stop_the_us_israeli_war_8_12_2006/

King Crimson
8/14/2006, 12:33 PM

if anything Tuba, you are a true master of irony.....even more than you intend most times. :D

JohnnyMack
8/14/2006, 12:34 PM
So, show me where I compared the two then.

:confused:

I told you I had to connect the dots.

You slow or somethin'?

OklahomaTuba
8/14/2006, 12:39 PM
if anything Tuba, you are a true master of irony.....even more than you intend most times. :D

example?

85Sooner
8/14/2006, 12:48 PM

funny, I didn't see either of thier names in the quote.

85Sooner
8/14/2006, 12:50 PM

maybe it would be more accurately stated as

Your efforts at comparing what Hitler did to what Hussein and the rest of the middle east leaders want to do is right on track.:)

JohnnyMack
8/14/2006, 12:52 PM
maybe it would be more accurately stated as

Your efforts at comparing what Hitler did to what Hussein and the rest of the middle east leaders want to do is right on track.:)

That would be fine.