PDA

View Full Version : Some Notes from Last Nights Scrimmage

The VIIIth
8/13/2006, 08:30 AM
Thompson settled into the saddle last night. I watched a tentative, rusty performance when the skel drills were running, two quick picks, lots of deep balls and no rhythm anywhere.

When the scrimmage started, PT's play action, his mechanics and his read progression seemed to meld. He went 11-13 with two scores and one osky(in the last 5 series). The passes were crisp and on target. The two misses were dropped passes. Once we stopped tossing bombs and concentrated on shorter to mid range passes, the offense got better and so did Thompson. Noticably better.

We have three damn good freshman running backs. Mossis Madu and Chris Brown are big, fast backs and have excellent vision when running the ball. Brown showed a nice ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and do something with it after the catch.

Adron Tennell had 4 snags and looks more well developed than a true frosh. He is an obviously, like Gresham, very talented athlete with a lot of potential and gobs of upside.

One of PT's td tosses was to my good buddy SBBD's favorite fullback, Matt Clapp. Zaslaw also looked good catching swing passes out of the backfield. Fullbacks were flying around catching balls right & left... and scoring. Very Cool.

There were a lot of swing passes last night, looks like that trip to the Denver Broncos had some ideas that stuck...Ian Pleasant had a couple coming out of the backfield and looked good after the catch.

No Malcolm Kelly (wedding), Manual Johnson (slight sprain) or AD, at least not much AD for obvious reasons.

The Oklahoman reports:"And, one program insider said, the offense, which was mostly bland, bore a pale comparison to the attack being polished behind closed practice doors."

TE's will be a strength with not much doubt that Gresham will start or at the least, play a lot. JG is a heckuva specimen who I believe will have to ability to dominate at his position. Technically, he is faster and bigger than Keith Jackson and he looks like his hands are as soft. I saw KJ play a lot. He never had the leaping ability of Jermaine Gresham. There was a reason JG had 25 tds and 1200 yards from a position you don't expect those kind of numbers from.

The OL was workmanlike and servicable nothing bad to report other than I wonder when Cordero Moore and Billy Blackard will make the move to the OL.

Punting looks like a different position than it did in the spring. The ball is exploding off of Michael Cohens foot and the Fl camp that Hartley and Knall trained at this summer was a huge success. The position is solid and can even now be called a weapon. All three guys were solid!

I was with my buddy Kurt Smith at the scrimmage last night, he was keeping an eye on the defense, I'll let him recant from that perspective.

Big John
8/13/2006, 08:48 AM
The OL was workmanlike and serviceable nothing bad to report other than I wonder when Cordero Moore and Billy Blackard will make the move to the OL.

Do you know that they will make the move, or are you just assuming the move will be made because of the situation that our O-Line is in.

The VIIIth
8/13/2006, 08:58 AM
Do you know that they will make the move, or are you just assuming the move will be made because of the situation that our O-Line is in.

Pure speculation on my part. It appears we are really deep at the position and we clearly need bodies on the Oline.

Last night the DL playing the Nose were lining up differently than I've seen before. They were slanting at an angle in front of the center...looked noticably different.

sooner518
8/13/2006, 09:00 AM
Did Demarco Murray not play? He has no stats listed at TulsaWorld

I_Live_In_OK
8/13/2006, 09:12 AM
The position [kicker & punter] is solid and can even now be called a weapon. All three guys were solid

You have no idea how good this is. This might save us about three games.

BoogercountySooner
8/13/2006, 09:16 AM

Sprained toe he will be back Monday or Tuesday!

The VIIIth
8/13/2006, 09:18 AM

I know I saw him last night, and I swear he had a touch but I was flying around trying to watch everybody. Mossis and Chris Brown literally stood out when they had the ball. Mossis looks a lot bigger than he did last year at NHS and I saw several games, I even PA'ed one of them...:eek:

The VIIIth
8/13/2006, 01:05 PM
Admin, my apologies...I did not see the Scrimmage thread when I posted this.

My bad.

David Earl
8/13/2006, 01:38 PM
Admin, my apologies...I did not see the Scrimmage thread when I posted this.

My bad.

No problemo.

Octavian
8/13/2006, 01:53 PM
Manual Johnson (slight sprain)

any word on this?

David Earl
8/13/2006, 01:56 PM
any word on this?

Supposedly a minor injury and they expect him back, per Bob Stoops.

Translations: They had to amputate but he can hop around out there so suck it up and go play. :D

Octavian
8/13/2006, 01:58 PM
excellent ;)

Scotty
8/13/2006, 03:08 PM
This report made me feel good.

Thanks.

OUstudent4life
8/13/2006, 03:33 PM
This report certainly makes me feel better than Gottlieb's reporting via a "person who watched the scrimmage" (EPSN radio was having people call in and give fans' impressions)...

...according to the guy that called Doug, PT threw 11 interceptions yesterday, with like 7 in the 7-on-7's and 4 in the scrimmage.

...can there be trolls on the radio?

badger
8/13/2006, 05:16 PM
...according to the guy that called Doug, PT threw 11 interceptions yesterday, with like 7 in the 7-on-7's and 4 in the scrimmage.

...can there be trolls on the radio?
PT did throw INT's in the smaller drills, yes, but I doubt it was 11.

My mom and I are officially Reggie Smith fans. He is teh awesome and fun to watch. :pop:

Soonerus
8/13/2006, 05:50 PM
Lendy Holmes looks like a player on defense...

stoopified
8/13/2006, 06:12 PM
Sounds good

umberto
8/13/2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the excellent report. It was like I was there!