PDA

View Full Version : Mens schedule released

Sooner24
8/12/2006, 11:15 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=300&KEY=&SPID=192&SPSID=2514

I can see a couple of serious butt kicking on the horizon. :eek:

JohnnyMack
8/13/2006, 10:44 AM
Longwood?

Harry Beanbag
8/13/2006, 11:40 AM
Longwood?

I think that's where Jerome Kersey went to school.

OUstud
8/13/2006, 05:33 PM
"Huh huh, he thaid 'long'."
"Yeah! And 'wood'! mmhanngh"

william_brasky
8/13/2006, 10:32 PM
Longwood?

the Fighting Phalli

King Crimson
8/14/2006, 11:42 AM
over/under on OU wins IMO: 16.

william_brasky
8/14/2006, 11:46 AM

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1377647&postcount=19

BTW: Nice avatar. Big Star. YES!!!!

Jeopardude
8/14/2006, 05:58 PM

I second the Big Star props.

King Crimson
8/14/2006, 06:01 PM
the first two Big Star records rule.

for a legit compliment to those seminal records.....get on ebay or amazon or itunes and get the Chris Bell unfinished solo LP "I am the Cosmos". Alex Chilton gets all the credit but Chris Bell was a helluva talented guy. if you want. the guy wrote some really beautiful songs and some rockers with and after Star and died way before his time.

Big John
8/19/2006, 02:12 PM
Longwood must be a joke or something. It's stuck right in the middle of the conference schedule.

http://www.corallight.com/images/shop/items/7658.jpg

GDC
8/20/2006, 02:56 PM
Capel's first summer at OU has been busy
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
8/20/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

NORMAN -- Four months into his tenure as Oklahoma basketball coach, Jeff Capel has made himself right at home. There are pictures on his walls, clutter atop his desk. He's comfortable in dress -- Nike shirt-tail draped over his shorts -- and demeanor -- an interview with a reporter is preceded by some shadowboxing with basketball operations director Bryan Goodman.

To say there is a summertime stillness at OU, however, is as wrong as the color orange inside Lloyd Noble Center.

"I've been ripping and running," Capel said last Thursday afternoon during a rare break in the action. "You've got a lot of stuff going on when you're moving. You've switched jobs. You're trying to get to know your players. You're trying to get to know the area, the new school. You're meeting so many people.

"You're also trying to move your family halfway across the country. Selling a house back in Richmond, buying a house. It's been hectic."

Did he mention the recruiting? July is when coaches pack their bags and crisscross the country in search of future prospects.

"I was out every day we could be out except for one day," he said. "It was good, though. I enjoy that. I enjoy watching young guys compete."

The work has already paid

off. OU has verbal commitments from 2006-07 high school seniors Taylor Griffin, Cade Davis and Chris Early.

Capel has been working to figure out how to fit his talent together, blending last year's spare parts with incoming freshmen Tony Crocker, Keith Clark and Bobby Maze.

"I don't really know our team is right now," he said. "I know a lot of coaches will say that as they go into a season because they really haven't seen the guys since last season. When you move to a new job, though, that's really difficult. You really don't.

"I've been able to watch them on tape some, but everything there is kind of with an asterisk because you had three really good guys last year."

What helps is the way Kelvin Sampson's holdovers have taken to their new coach.

"I don't know if it's because they're really respectful young men," Capel said, "or if there's some kind of unwritten thing where former players have a bond with guys that play. But I was pretty quick to feel comfortable with them."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected].

King Crimson
8/20/2006, 04:42 PM
i'm not sure i agree about that "spare parts" comment? Neal?

nativesooner
8/20/2006, 04:42 PM
OU has verbal commitments from 2006-07 high school seniors Taylor Griffin, Cade Davis and Chris Early

Hmm, I thought we already had Taylor? :D

ouflak
8/22/2006, 05:39 AM
Longwood?

http://www.longwoodlancers.com/images/countdowntodiv1.gif
Only 12 months, 9 days, and 18 hours until they enter Division I. Oh Boy are they excited!

GDC
8/23/2006, 03:52 PM
I don't understand the basketball ones.

OU noted the following in a 2005-06 Reporting Form for Level II Secondary Violations to the Big 12 Conference:

Dated Nov. 5, 2005: "Near the end of the fall 2005 semester men's baseball student-athlete . . . asked the

(academic support services) staff (if) he could check out a clicker (type of remote control device) from the athletic department."

Dated Jan. 6, 2006: "The compliance office discovered a concern regarding a potential impermissible tryout while monitoring media / recruiting publications."

Dated Feb. 6, 2006: "The compliance staff learned of a potential concern regarding male students practicing with the women's basketball team from the financial aid graduate assistant who assists with institutional squad lists."

Dated March 6, 2006: "Possible impermissible contact by a new assistant (baseball) coach at the site of a junior college competition . . . incidental contact with a small group of junior college prospects while their game was in progress."

Dated March 6, 2006: "During the second day of spring (football) practice, several student-athletes were allowed to wear 'spider pads' during a non-contact practice session in which protective gear was prohibited."

Dated April 6, 2006: "The institution's newly hired head basketball coach inadvertently allowed his wife to be present during an in-home visit with a prospective student-athlete."

ouflak
8/24/2006, 04:01 PM
[/b]Dated Feb. 6, 2006: "The compliance staff learned of a potential concern regarding male students practicing with the women's basketball team from the financial aid graduate assistant who assists with institutional squad lists."[b]
This just isn't specific enough. So we really don't have any idea what violation there might have been here. Since it's not mentioned specifically, maybe it's something sensitive?

Dated April 6, 2006: "The institution's newly hired head basketball coach inadvertently allowed his wife to be present during an in-home visit with a prospective student-athlete."

This is just plain nonsense. I'd love to see the wording of whatever idiotic rule this is. Can you imagine the embarrasment of the bureaucrat who had to find a way to write and justify this rule?

the_ouskull
8/24/2006, 04:30 PM
i'm not sure i agree about that "spare parts" comment? Neal?

Well, while he certainly bailed us out of some games last year, around tournament time, teams started realizing that he can't get his own shot off. He has to be screened for or kicked out to. Then we started getting beat. Badly.

Terrell missing layups and Taj not getting the ball didn't help much either.

I'm excited about Capel being here. I think we're gonna be a lot better than most people seem to think...

the_ouskull

sooner-n-ga
9/7/2006, 05:53 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

OUstud
9/7/2006, 09:23 PM
His comments about utilizing athleticism and introducing our players to a style of offense they're not used to gives me hope.

r5TPsooner
9/9/2006, 09:18 AM
Longwood?

I think they meant Deadood. Bullock and Swearengen will pound us in the paint. Trixie could be a destraction to the OU team as well. ;)

SoonerFrog
9/13/2006, 08:32 AM
Tue, Oct 31 Oklahoma Christian (Exhibition) WIN
Sun, Nov 05 Central Missouri State (Exhibition) WIN
Fri, Nov 10 Norfolk State Norman WIN
Thu, Nov 16 Liberty Norman WIN

EA SPORTS Maui Invitational
Mon, Nov 20 Memphis at Lahaina, Hawaii BRUTAL, MASSIVE LOSS
Tue, Nov 21 Georgia Tech or Purdue LOSS
Wed, Nov 22 Chaminade, DePaul, Kentucky or UCLA LOSS

Sat, Dec 02 TCU Norman WIN
Wed, Dec 06 Villanova Norman LOSS, COMPLETE DESTRUCTION
Sat, Dec 09 Coppin State Norman WIN
Sat, Dec 16 UT Arlington Norman WIN

All-College Classic
Thu, Dec 21 Tulsa at Oklahoma City LOSS
Thu, Dec 28 SMU Norman WIN
Mon, Jan 01 Alabama at Tuscaloosa, Ala. LOSS
Sat, Jan 06 Texas Tech at Lubbock, Texas LOSS
Wed, Jan 10 Colorado Norman WIN
Sat, Jan 13 Texas at Austin, Texas LOSS
Wed, Jan 17 Nebraska Norman WIN
Sat, Jan 20 Baylor Norman 3 PM WIN
Mon, Jan 22 Oklahoma State at Stillwater, Okla. LOSS
Sat, Jan 27 Texas A&M at College Station, Texas LOSS
Tue, Jan 30 Longwood Norman WIN
Sat, Feb 03 Texas Tech Norman LOSS
Wed, Feb 07 Oklahoma State Norman LOSS
Sat, Feb 10 Baylor at Waco, Texas LOSS
Tue, Feb 13 Iowa State at Ames, Iowa LOSS
Sat, Feb 17 Texas A&M Norman WIN
Tue, Feb 20 Missouri at Columbia, Mo. WIN
Sat, Feb 24 Texas Norman 3 PM LOSS
Mon, Feb 26 Kansas Norman 8 PM LOSS
Sat, Mar 03 Kansas State at Manhattan, Kan. WIN

Looks like 13-16 to me. But hey, I get to be a fan of TWO teams this year. Indiana looks to finish top 3 in the Big 10.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/26/2006, 11:07 AM
Tue, Oct 31 Oklahoma Christian (Exhibition) WIN
Sun, Nov 05 Central Missouri State (Exhibition) WIN
Fri, Nov 10 Norfolk State Norman WIN
Thu, Nov 16 Liberty Norman WIN

EA SPORTS Maui Invitational
Mon, Nov 20 Memphis at Lahaina, Hawaii BRUTAL, MASSIVE LOSS
Tue, Nov 21 Georgia Tech or Purdue LOSS
Wed, Nov 22 Chaminade, DePaul, Kentucky or UCLA LOSS

Sat, Dec 02 TCU Norman WIN
Wed, Dec 06 Villanova Norman LOSS, COMPLETE DESTRUCTION
Sat, Dec 09 Coppin State Norman WIN
Sat, Dec 16 UT Arlington Norman WIN

All-College Classic
Thu, Dec 21 Tulsa at Oklahoma City LOSS
Thu, Dec 28 SMU Norman WIN
Mon, Jan 01 Alabama at Tuscaloosa, Ala. LOSS
Sat, Jan 06 Texas Tech at Lubbock, Texas LOSS
Wed, Jan 10 Colorado Norman WIN
Sat, Jan 13 Texas at Austin, Texas LOSS
Wed, Jan 17 Nebraska Norman WIN
Sat, Jan 20 Baylor Norman 3 PM WIN
Mon, Jan 22 Oklahoma State at Stillwater, Okla. LOSS
Sat, Jan 27 Texas A&M at College Station, Texas LOSS
Tue, Jan 30 Longwood Norman WIN
Sat, Feb 03 Texas Tech Norman LOSS
Wed, Feb 07 Oklahoma State Norman LOSS
Sat, Feb 10 Baylor at Waco, Texas LOSS
Tue, Feb 13 Iowa State at Ames, Iowa LOSS
Sat, Feb 17 Texas A&M Norman WIN
Tue, Feb 20 Missouri at Columbia, Mo. WIN
Sat, Feb 24 Texas Norman 3 PM LOSS
Mon, Feb 26 Kansas Norman 8 PM LOSS
Sat, Mar 03 Kansas State at Manhattan, Kan. WIN

Looks like 13-16 to me. But hey, I get to be a fan of TWO teams this year. Indiana looks to finish top 3 in the Big 10.

Dude, you think OU is going to lose two games and then lose to Sha na na?

I don't think we are in the NCAA tourney next year but I can see 16, maybe 17 wins.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/26/2006, 11:09 AM
Longwood?

No thank you. :eek: