PDA

View Full Version : Any skeet or trap shooter ****** *******s?

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 07:49 PM
First question is what is the difference between skeet and trap? I'd love to learn how. We have a skeet club here in town. I have never tried before - but I've wanted to for a long time. What type of gun would be appropriate for a female? Is there one that doesn't have too much of a kick? Any info. will be appreciated. I need a hobby and this really appeals to me. TYIA:)

hurricane'bone
8/12/2006, 08:16 PM
:les: SKEET, SKEET, SKEET!!!!!

Flagstaffsooner
8/12/2006, 08:18 PM
Clay disks are thown from traps skeet is shooting them. If you are a small lady you may want to use a 20 gauge shotgun.

Skysooner
8/12/2006, 09:21 PM
There is a big difference. Skeet and trap shooting both involve shooting small clay targets. Skeep specifically is shooting from a specified set of locations and shooting the same set of targets every time. There are crossing targets and targets that appear to be going away or coming towards you. Trap involves mostly shooting targets that are moving away from you, but you don't always know in which direction.

I would recommend skeet for consistency. You can practice all of the different kinds of shots and get good at them.

For a gun, it all depends on what you can afford. There is not much difference in terms of a 12 or 20 gauge in terms of what you can shoot in either trap or skeet. A 20 gauge will have a lighter kick. My recommendation would be to research Benelli shotguns as they have very little kick, are very light, and are among the fastest shooting guns on the market.

StoopTroup
8/12/2006, 09:34 PM
If your ever in Tulsa...

Give these guys a call.

Tulsa Gun club (http://www.claytargetsonline.com/club.php/1496)

I used wholesale/retail tons of Remington Pigeons to Southern Hills back in the late 70's early 80's.

They had a great facilty where the new 9 hole course is now.

Jerk
8/12/2006, 09:50 PM
After you master Skeet, give "Sporting Clays" a try. That is kind of like golf with a shotgun. You go through a "course" and every station is different.

You want to use a 12 guage if you can. Plenty of women can and do, even if they're small. Learning to deal with recoil is more of how you shoulder and fire the weapon than if you're 'big & manly'

If that don't work, use a 20 guage.

If that's still too much, then use a 28 guage.

Jerk
8/12/2006, 09:54 PM
For some reason I had this vibe that Dolomite was wanting to suggest a mac-10

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 10:09 PM
I'm not small, but neither am I "big and manly":eek: I've never shot a shotgun. Guess you can't shoot skeet with a .22 rifle huh? ;) I don't suppose there is anyway to try out a gun before you buy is there? We used to have a gun range here and I think you could do that - no longer here. I haven't looked at any guns, are they going to be really expensive? I appreciate everyone's input. You guys are a lot of help.

Mongo
8/12/2006, 10:11 PM
Babe, glad to hear your new found interest in firearms. Aint nothin' like tieing on a six beer buzz and shootin a couple of rounds in a old tractor.(A SNL GWB spoof). The best shotgun for beginners or lovers of a pump is the Remington 870 Express. It is the most selling shotgun of all time. It comes in 12 or 20. Plus it is silky-smooth.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express.asp

GottaHavePride
8/12/2006, 10:24 PM
I'm not small, but neither am I "big and manly":eek: I've never shot a shotgun. Guess you can't shoot skeet with a .22 rifle huh? ;) I don't suppose there is anyway to try out a gun before you buy is there? We used to have a gun range here and I think you could do that - no longer here. I haven't looked at any guns, are they going to be really expensive? I appreciate everyone's input. You guys are a lot of help.
No, a .22 won't work. Seriously, you can get a 12-gauge that doesn't kick very much, although PG uses a 20-gauge. But she's teeny - the 12-gauge is just too heavy for her to hold up, it's not because of recoil. As Skysooner said, the difference is that in skeet you stand at 8 different stations arranged in a semicircle, and the targets move across the field of fire.

http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/images/skeetfield.png

Trap you stand in 5 stations more closely packed and the targets move away from you.

http://www.chandlerrodandgunclub.com/images/trap_field.jpg

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 10:42 PM
Looks to me like skeet would be more fun. PG shoots skeet? Oh lordy - probably wouldn't be a good idea to get us together on the same skeet range!!!:D I know nothing about shotguns. Is a 12 gauge just a heavier gun than a 20 gauge? Do they fire the same?

GottaHavePride
8/12/2006, 10:54 PM
Looks to me like skeet would be more fun. PG shoots skeet? Oh lordy - probably wouldn't be a good idea to get us together on the same skeet range!!!:D I know nothing about shotguns. Is a 12 gauge just a heavier gun than a 20 gauge? Do they fire the same?

Gauge has to do with how big around the barrel is. The smaller the gauge number, the bigger the barrel. Other than that, they work the same. 12-gauge is pretty much the standard, the only others I see on a regular basis are 20, 28, and occasionally 10 gauge.

How much the gun kicks depends on the company that made it and the design, like whether it's a single-barrel pump shotgun, or a double-barrel breech-loader, etc. etc.

nmsoonergirl
8/12/2006, 10:55 PM
I bet that if you called the skeet club, they'd hook you up with someone who would let you some different shotguns to get a feel for them. I started with the Remington 1100, and that is still my favorite. I have a Remington 870 that I don't much care for (both are 12 gauge). The people at the skeet club I started out at were great, and I got to shoot quite a few guns before I committed.

GottaHavePride
8/12/2006, 11:00 PM
My dad used to have a great Beretta side-by-side that I thought was sweet. Too bad he sold that one.

proud gonzo
8/12/2006, 11:15 PM
I have a Beretta 20 gauge... I think it's an Urika. It probably runs $1000-$1250. My daddy doesn't buy cheap guns. :D

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 11:20 PM
I have a Beretta 20 gauge... I think it's an Urika. It probably runs $1000-$1250. My daddy doesn't buy cheap guns. :D
yikes!!! That's a little bit out of my price range!! I'm assuming that might be the top of the line? I hope. Might have to stick with shooting tin cans with my Mossberg .22 bolt action rifle. I could have someone throw them up in the air for me and I could call it skeet!!;)

OCUDad
8/12/2006, 11:24 PM
Given your current attitude toward focktards (read: males), I think it's not a good idea for you to have a gun of any kind for any purpose. Or at least to warn us all before you venture outside with that thing. ;)

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 11:26 PM
Given your current attitude toward focktards (read: males), I think it's not a good idea for you to have a gun of any kind for any purpose. Or at least to warn us all before you venture outside with that thing. ;)
Not to worry - that was yesterday - today is another day. I have done a "simmah down now" and am feeling much better.

I do have a gun or two though!!:cool:

IB4OU2
8/12/2006, 11:47 PM
I have a Belguim Browning Over and Under Citori in 12 ga. and 20 ga. in Skeet and Skeet. Used to win a few tournaments with those guns. Skeet is a great sport but it would be very wise for a novice with guns to take some gun safety training prior to going to the range. Your breach should always be open and the gun unloaded until your at your station and ready to call your target (s) or in the case of an overunder or double barrel the gun should be broken over and unloaded......Shooting doubles at station 4 with a 45 mile an hour wind will test your reflexes. If you get into the sport reloading your own shells makes the game somewhat less exspensive. Pull! oh and always wear safety glasse.

proud gonzo
8/12/2006, 11:49 PM
i've never had my glasses tested... but i have been beaned in the noggin by pieces of broken bird blowing back at me.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/12/2006, 11:55 PM
I have a Belguim Browning Over and Under Citori in 12 ga. and 20 ga. in Skeet and Skeet. Used to win a few tournaments with those guns. Skeet is a great sport but it would be very wise for a novice with guns to take some gun safety training prior to going to the range. Your breach should always be open and the gun unloaded until your at your station and ready to call your target (s) or in the case of an overunder or double barrel the gun should be broken over and unloaded......Shooting doubles at station 4 with a 45 mile an hour wind will test your reflexes. If you get into the sport reloading your own shells makes the game somewhat less exspensive. Pull! oh and always wear safety glasse.
huh what? I lost you after "your breach should always be open"
I think I may need all kinds of lessons. Where do you learn to shoot skeet? Are there courses or do you just have to find someone to teach you?

IB4OU2
8/13/2006, 12:01 AM
i've never had my glasses tested... but i have been beaned in the noggin by pieces of broken bird blowing back at me.

I wear mine to the range, they're as safe as the regular shooting/safety glasses. Oh and I forgot to mention Wear hearing protection! unless you want to have a horrible headache after a few rounds plus you'll lose your hearing at some crtical audio frequencies when your older.

My personal best Skeet score in a tournament for 4 rounds was a 99. and it took lots of practice to get there. Most profesionals can shoot 300 to 400 birds without a miss easy but they practice All the time and have perfect vision.

IB4OU2
8/13/2006, 12:09 AM
huh what? I lost you after "your breach should always be open"
I think I may need all kinds of lessons. Where do you learn to shoot skeet? Are there courses or do you just have to find someone to teach you?

The breach is the big hole in the shotgun where you place your stotgun shells. You have to make sure your gun is unloaded and show everyone it is by leaving you breach open at all time when your not on the your station ready to shoot.

You can get instruction from a pro. or the owner/manager of the skeet range or if you have a friend that enjoys the sport and can teach you

Soonerbabeinbama
8/13/2006, 12:17 AM
The breach is the big hole in the shotgun where you place your stotgun shells. You have to make sure your gun is unloaded and show everyone it is by leaving you breach open at all time when your not on the your station ready to shoot.

You can get instruction from a pro. or the owner/manager of the skeet range or if you have a friend that enjoys the sport and can teach you
Well, this is Alabama, so I know everyone and their brother owns at least one shotgun - but whether they know how to shoot skeet or not is another matter. I guess I could just check with the skeet range and see if they have any professional skeet shooter ****** *******s!!

I have another question - do you have to load your gun everytime you shoot?

mdklatt
8/13/2006, 12:19 AM
I have another question - do you have to load your gun everytime you shoot?

You can probably rent out a Sherpa from the club who will do it for you.

proud gonzo
8/13/2006, 12:19 AM
are you asking if the shotgun holds more than one shell?

AlbqSooner
8/13/2006, 12:30 AM
Skeet is several lawyers skydiving. Trap is that S-curve under the kitchen sink.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/13/2006, 12:34 AM
are you asking if the shotgun holds more than one shell?
Yeah I guess so.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/13/2006, 12:37 AM
Skeet is several lawyers skydiving. Trap is that S-curve under the kitchen sink.
I know who AIN'T gonna be my teacher!!:cool:

GottaHavePride
8/13/2006, 12:40 AM
Yeah I guess so.
Some guns only hold one shell at a time (or two, in the case of double-barrels). Those guns actually "break" open where the barrel meets the stock for you to load the shells, then you have to break the gun open again to eject those two shells and reload. (For that type of gun, a double-barrel is a necessity for skeet as you frequently have two shoot two birds in rapid succession.)

The other option is a pump shotgun. Those can hold 7 or 8 shells (or thereabouts) meaning you don't have to reload before every shot, but you have to keep track of how many shells are left in there so you don't run out in the middle of a double. A lot of guys like those for skeet because it means they can get a third shot off to save a double in case they miss - that's not an option with the double-barrels. ;)

proud gonzo
8/13/2006, 12:46 AM
don't forget an over-under. That's what I have--one barrel. One shell goes in the chamber and the other goes into sortof a holding chamber below the barrel (hence "over-under"). It's semi-automatic and you can shoot the second shell without stopping to reload.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/13/2006, 12:53 AM
thanks for your info - you have been really helpful. I can tell I've got a lot to learn - but I think it will be fun.

phead903
8/13/2006, 12:55 AM
Yeah I guess so.

Skeet shooting is done by all types of people with all types of guns - Upper Crust country clubs back east all have skeet ranges and the guns they use can be worth as much as a car.

Where I grew up in SE Oklahoma, we also shot skeet with our $300 pawn shop 12 Gauges.

the smallest gauge shotgun I have ever seen used for skeet is a 410 - barely more than a pop gun.

Like GHP said, some shotguns usually have 2 barrels - either side by side or an over and under (one barrel on top of the other) - but most are repeating - meaning they hlod several shells - usually either 3 or 5 and as you shoot, the gun ejects the empty shell, then loads another shell into the breach - ready to shoot again!

Soonerbabeinbama
8/13/2006, 12:58 AM
You can probably rent out a Sherpa from the club who will do it for you.
smarty fart!!

proud gonzo
8/13/2006, 01:06 AM
Yeah, only use a 410 if you REALLY want a challenge

GottaHavePride
8/13/2006, 01:10 AM
Oh yeah, that's the other thing - the bigger the gauge of your sotgun, the wider the shot pattern is in the air, and the better chance you have of hitting the bird.

I've seen guys hit a bird dead on and just pop the center out of it and it keeps right on flying.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/13/2006, 01:12 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a bird is a clay pigeon?

GottaHavePride
8/13/2006, 01:16 AM
yes. sorry. :O

SoonerWood
8/13/2006, 02:11 AM
don't forget an over-under. That's what I have--one barrel. One shell goes in the chamber and the other goes into sortof a holding chamber below the barrel (hence "over-under"). It's semi-automatic and you can shoot the second shell without stopping to reload.

actually an over-under is a two barrel where one is above the other and the shotgun breaks in the middle. The side-by-side is the other version of the two barrel, and you get one guess which way they are situated!
:D

You might also take a look at the Remington 1100. Popular, relatively inexpensive, and versatile semi-automatic. Not much of a kicker.

Jerk
8/13/2006, 07:25 AM
Wood- I'm going to be sighting in a few rifles next week. Interested in going? I'm not yet a member of OCGC so I may have to drive all the way to friggin' Banner Road.

OUHOMER
8/13/2006, 11:15 AM
Wood- I'm going to be sighting in a few rifles next week. Interested in going? I'm not yet a member of OCGC so I may have to drive all the way to friggin' Banner Road.

i used to be on a trap team out at Banner.. MANY years ago. I got some patches around here some where for 100 out of 100. I think what I like best was the single turnament they had. I would show up with my old beat up ithaca shot gun and take down the High dollar Franchi.:D

proud gonzo
8/13/2006, 12:10 PM
actually an over-under is a two barrel where one is above the other and the shotgun breaks in the middle. The side-by-side is the other version of the two barrel, and you get one guess which way they are situated!
:D

You might also take a look at the Remington 1100. Popular, relatively inexpensive, and versatile semi-automatic. Not much of a kicker.

oh well excuse me. somebody called mine an over-under
http://products.berettausa.com/images/immagini_maxi/AL391_Urika_S_maxi.jpg

1stTimeCaller
8/13/2006, 01:51 PM

whomever said that your shotgun was called an over under is a dumbass.

http://www.gunbooksales.com/images/british_over-under.gif

http://www.zabalahermanos.com/suprema-1.jpg

rebmus
8/13/2006, 02:26 PM
:les: SKEET, SKEET, SKEET!!!!!
i always click threads just a tad too late. :mad:

spek hurricane'bone... great minds and all.

GottaHavePride
8/13/2006, 02:43 PM

From a Google search, I think they call those "autoloaders". Probably gas-operated, not recoil-operated.

goodonya
8/14/2006, 10:55 AM
Though I spend an inordinate amount of time hunting with shotguns I can in no stretch of the imagination be considered an expert. I do, however, work with and shoot with a gentleman that was ranked #3 in the world in the sport in 2003 and he has taught me a ton about shooting and shooting shotguns in particular.

First, if you are only going to shoot birds or clay pigeons consider the over/under first for a variety of reasons.

1. You can use shot shells that have less powder than the commercial/on-sale-at-wal mart-academy ones that are designed to have enough residual power to operate the auto mechanism on semi-automatic guns. This provides a huge advantage in the "kick" associated with shotguns and has a significant impact on the cumulative day of shooting.

2. It is infinitely more convenient to manage reloads at the line with a break open gun.

3. You can, if you desire, have 3-guns in one with an over/under. At my friend's urging I acquired a nice over/under and went to the Briley shop here in Houston and bought what are essentially barrel inserts in .28 ga. and .410 ga. for my gun. I now have essentially 3-guns in one.

4. Lastly, on a personal note, I urge break open guns, single or double, to teach kids shooting. They are very safe and easy to identify if they are loaded or not. I also place a great deal of emphasis on the reliance on 2-shots instead of 3, 4 or 5. This will make them a better shooter if you are diligent.

NOTE: If you really want kids to get into and stay into shooting, get them some lessons and get out to the range before the season starts. I'm taking my kids and the friends we have designated to hunt with us this year our this weekend to do one 30-minute refresher lesson and then 2-rounds on the mid-level sporting clays circuit.

Hamhock
8/14/2006, 12:16 PM
you can get a Franchi 20 gauge that is very light and not much recoil. they aren't as 'spensive as the Benelli.

IB4OU2
8/14/2006, 12:59 PM
Though I spend an inordinate amount of time hunting with shotguns I can in no stretch of the imagination be considered an expert. I do, however, work with and shoot with a gentleman that was ranked #3 in the world in the sport in 2003 and he has taught me a ton about shooting and shooting shotguns in particular.

First, if you are only going to shoot birds or clay pigeons consider the over/under first for a variety of reasons.

1. You can use shot shells that have less powder than the commercial/on-sale-at-wal mart-academy ones that are designed to have enough residual power to operate the auto mechanism on semi-automatic guns. This provides a huge advantage in the "kick" associated with shotguns and has a significant impact on the cumulative day of shooting. True, I used to reload 1 Oz. loads in Winchester Double AA's lessens the kick and helps the flenching.

2. It is infinitely more convenient to manage reloads at the line with a break open gun. Again some reloaders don't resize the shells very well and Over/under shotguns handle those shells Alot better than the Semi-Auto's or the Pumps.

3. You can, if you desire, have 3-guns in one with an over/under. At my friend's urging I acquired a nice over/under and went to the Briley shop here in Houston and bought what are essentially barrel inserts in .28 ga. and .410 ga. for my gun. I now have essentially 3-guns in one. Or you can buy a 4 barrell set if youv'e got the cash.....it's nice to be shooting the same gun all the time and never change the weight or feel.

4. Lastly, on a personal note, I urge break open guns, single or double, to teach kids shooting. They are very safe and easy to identify if they are loaded or not. I also place a great deal of emphasis on the reliance on 2-shots instead of 3, 4 or 5. This will make them a better shooter if you are diligent. I agree....of course you never load more than two shells for singles or doubles at any station.

NOTE: If you really want kids to get into and stay into shooting, get them some lessons and get out to the range before the season starts. I'm taking my kids and the friends we have designated to hunt with us this year our this weekend to do one 30-minute refresher lesson and then 2-rounds on the mid-level sporting clays circuit.

1. You can use shot shells that have less powder than the commercial/on-sale-at-wal mart-academy ones that are designed to have enough residual power to operate the auto mechanism on semi-automatic guns. This provides a huge advantage in the "kick" associated with shotguns and has a significant impact on the cumulative day of shooting. True, I used to reload 1 Oz. loads in Winchester Double AA's lessens the kick and helps the flenching.

2. It is infinitely more convenient to manage reloads at the line with a break open gun. Again some reloaders don't resize the shells very well and Over/under shotguns handle those shells Alot better than the Semi-Auto's or the Pumps.

3. You can, if you desire, have 3-guns in one with an over/under. At my friend's urging I acquired a nice over/under and went to the Briley shop here in Houston and bought what are essentially barrel inserts in .28 ga. and .410 ga. for my gun. I now have essentially 3-guns in one. Or you can buy a 4 barrell set if youv'e got the cash.....it's nice to be shooting the same gun all the time and never change the weight or feel.

4. Lastly, on a personal note, I urge break open guns, single or double, to teach kids shooting. They are very safe and easy to identify if they are loaded or not. I also place a great deal of emphasis on the reliance on 2-shots instead of 3, 4 or 5. This will make them a better shooter if you are diligent. I agree....of course you never load more than two shells for singles or doubles at any station.

walkoffsooner
8/14/2006, 03:53 PM
Go to Gene Sears in El Reno. Don't know address but its behind love store in yellow barn east side of road. He sells lots of guns and has won every world championship you can name in trap.

SoonerWood
8/14/2006, 09:06 PM

I haven't taken my M14 out in a while - let me know when your going, maybe I can get away from work sometime. Maybe. I'm putting in about 30 hours OT per week right now - we've been extraordinarily busy for the past 6 months for some reason.