PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Millitary history ******-*******s

royalfan5
8/12/2006, 01:29 PM
Have any of y'all read any Roy Edgar Appleman books? I am thinking about getting his book about Matthew Ridgeway bailing us out in Korea, and I was just curious as to the quality of his work.

TUSooner
8/12/2006, 02:14 PM
I got nothin, but I'm anxious to hear about it. :)

<bump>

Okla-homey
8/12/2006, 02:15 PM
Have any of y'all read any Roy Edgar Appleman books? I am thinking about getting his book about Matthew Ridgeway bailing us out in Korea, and I was just curious as to the quality of his work.

Never heard of him, but that doesn't mean he's a goofball though. Who published the book? That will tell you more than anything else about the "scholarliness" of the work. I find it best to stay with the university-affiliated presses for historical non-fiction.

royalfan5
8/12/2006, 02:17 PM
Never heard of him, but that doesn't mean he's a goofball though. Who published the book? That will tell you more than anything else about the "scholarliness" of the work. I find it best to stay with the university-affiliated presses for historical non-fiction.
Apparently he is a Lassie Aggie Professor and has put out a whole series of books on military history. The Ridgeway book is the 18th in the series, and I might get the MacArthur getting pwned by the Chicom's book which is the 11th in the series too since it leads into the Ridgeway book.

Okla-homey
8/12/2006, 02:20 PM
Apparently he is a Lassie Aggie Professor and has put out a whole series of books on military history. The Ridgeway book is the 18th in the series, and I might get the MacArthur getting pwned by the Chicom's book which is the 11th in the series too since it leads into the Ridgeway book.

aTm Press or is it part of the "official" US Army History of the Korean War series? Sounds like it might be the latter. If it is, its solid, but it might not be completely objective.

royalfan5
8/12/2006, 02:23 PM
aTm Press or is it part of the "official" US Army History of the Korean War series? Sounds like it might be the latter. If it is, its solid, but it might not be completely objective.
It's an aTm press book.

Okla-homey
8/12/2006, 02:28 PM
It's an aTm press book.

Well then, as much as I hate to admit anything good could come out of that place, its prolly a very good work of historical non-fiction.

royalfan5
8/12/2006, 02:30 PM
Well then, as much as I hate to admit anything good could come out of that place, its prolly a very good work of historical non-fiction.
Sweet. I prolly check it out then.

afs
8/16/2006, 10:05 PM
:pop:

olevetonahill
8/16/2006, 10:59 PM
Let us know . I recently found " The Rising Sun " (authors name eludes me ) . It is slanted in the Japenese direction . I have become so engrossed in it that I found volume 2 at the Library
Very informative of the PTO at the time . As to How we were snuck up on etc