PDA

View Full Version : Receivers Speak Out on Paul

Octavian
8/12/2006, 12:16 PM
from the TW

In Good Hands: Sooners Respect Thompson's Team-First Attitude

NORMAN -- As the only true feel-good story in an Oklahoma preseason that's otherwise gone rotten, quarterback Paul Thompson will have a lot of people pulling for him at Saturday's 6 p.m. scrimmage.

The coaches respect the team-first character he's shown the past five years.

The Owen Field fans respect the fact he's not Rhett Bomar.

And then there are Thompson's partners -- his wide receivers.

"I'm going to go hard for any quarterback that plays for Oklahoma," Juaquin Iglesias said. "But for Paul, just because I'm that much closer to him, that is going to make me go even harder."

The Sooners' offensive linemen may serve as Thompson's bodyguards, but it is the wideouts who have his back.

"Oh, yeah," said Manuel Johnson, who starts along with Iglesias and Malcolm Kelly. "Because he went through everything we did."

Rewind one year. It took a season-opening loss to TCU for Bomar to supplant Thompson and for Thompson to shuttle to wide receiver. Thompson had waited three years for his shot at quarterback, and it took 54 plays for OU's coaches to decide it wasn't going to work out.

So how did Thompson take the news upon switching positions?

"He jumped right in," Johnson said. "He could already catch. He knew the plays already. But it wasn't just that. He spoke up in meetings.

"He knew what read the quarterback was going to make, so he helped us a lot more, let us know what (quarterbacks) were looking for so we could help him. We could all be on the same page."

He spoke up outside of meetings, too.

"Those guys were freshmen, or redshirt freshmen," OU wide receiver coach Kevin Sumlin said of the three starters, and of second-teamers Eric Huggins, Quentin Chaney and Fred Strong as well. "And Paul showed them how to work, showed them how to compete this summer, showed them how to go through spring drills.

"I think they gained an appreciation for him and are eager to play."

There isn't much "think" about it.

"We always were together in meetings and things like that," Iglesias said. "He talked to us all the time."

It went like that right up until Bomar's dismissal, when Thompson was given another shot at quarterback. This one came with a unique perspective.

Just as Thompson helped put the wideouts in the quarterback's shoes, the wideouts put Thompson in theirs.

"Now he knows exactly how we run our routes," Iglesias said. "That can only help with timing."

If nothing else, as Johnson joked, "He understands that the go-up-and-get-it balls aren't any fun."

It is said a quarterback and his receivers must be on the same page. Last September against TCU, Thompson and then-seniors Travis Wilson and Jejuan Rankins were not.

Now Wilson and Rankins are gone. So is Bomar.

In step Iglesias, Johnson, Kelly and Thompson. One year after bunking together, and learning from each other, the feeling is they might be a closer group.

If not, they'll do everything possible to get there.

"A lot of people think we're not going to be able to throw, but they don't know what happens behind the scenes," Johnson said. "Paul helped us, and we helped him. We're going to stick together, make it through and make a run."

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/12/2006, 12:26 PM
Paul Thompson is heading towards Sainthood!!! Anyone that makes excuses for Clarett because of the adversity he has faced, should read the Paul Thompson story and should realize the difference between a man and a punk

Octavian
8/12/2006, 12:30 PM
I like the last quote by Manuel.

Blues1
8/12/2006, 12:34 PM
Paul Thompson is heading towards Sainthood!!! Anyone that makes excuses for Clarett because of the adversity he has faced, should read the Paul Thompson story and should realize the difference between a man and a punk

Amen and Amen....!!!!

Do you think RB would have waited around 4 years for his chance---- Do you think Daddy would have kept his mouth Shut for 4 years..???

The Time is NOW - 110 % behind PT.......and his Family...!

Rock On PT - Rock ON....!!!

Big Red Ron
8/12/2006, 12:42 PM
PT

Ash
8/12/2006, 12:48 PM
I'm always impressed when I hear/read interviews with PT - solid, well-spoken guy.

But I really like the part about him being outspoken during meetings and practice. Leadership!!! Man, I worried about it with Bomar - not worried at all with PT at the helm.

Boomer...

Big Red Ron
8/12/2006, 12:58 PM
sooner

1991SOONER
8/12/2006, 01:38 PM
Looks like we're getting the leadership that we needed...
I'm for Thompson all the way

tbl
8/12/2006, 01:43 PM
I'm becoming convinced that this move is going to be better for us than the former scenario.... Go PT!

swardboy
8/12/2006, 01:43 PM
I think the headgame going on here is mucho importante....the receivers are in a different mindset now. I am SO pulling for ENA. He's everything that is "right" about college football. Karma, baby, karma.

oumartin
8/12/2006, 02:22 PM
ENA will go down as a true Sooner great just for his attitude and his drive to be a team player.

stoopified
8/12/2006, 03:02 PM
I will admit to still having reservations about ENA being the qb who can best fit our system but I have absolutely NO QUESTIONS about his character and leadership .In the back of my mind I hear this little voice reciting the names of GREAT OU leaders at qb who were not our most gifted as others,Harris,Davis,Bradley ,Heupel are among them.Some weren't big enough,some not fast enough,some not good enough passers but they all were winners.Despite whatever misgivings I might harbor,I too would love to see ENA be a big winner at qb,I sure think he is in life now and in the future.

BoogercountySooner
8/12/2006, 03:46 PM
I don't want to be a bit negative or write anything onto this story that doesn't belong but I wish we would have gotten some positive quotes from Kelly. He may have been unavailable.:)

BigUgly
8/12/2006, 04:43 PM
Chills

Flagstaffsooner
8/12/2006, 04:48 PM
He's everything that is "right" about college football. Yes sir.:)

mosoon
8/12/2006, 04:56 PM
Great story and all, but can he throw down field under pressure? My uncle is a really cool guy, a real American hero, and I'd do anything for him, but if he'd be worthless on 3 and 8 from the 40.

Big Red Ron
8/12/2006, 06:20 PM
Great story and all, but can he throw down field under pressure? My uncle is a really cool guy, a real American hero, and I'd do anything for him, but if he'd be worthless on 3 and 8 from the 40.Was he recruited by The University of Oklahoma to play QB?

85Sooner
8/12/2006, 06:38 PM
Was he recruited by The University of Oklahoma to play QB?

Thats an affirmative.

Big Red Ron
8/12/2006, 06:49 PM
Thats an affirmative.I was talking about Mosoon's uncle.

umberto
8/12/2006, 07:10 PM
I was talking about Mosoon's uncle.

Uncle Rico? Now that guy had an arm. Just ask Napoleon Dynamite. :D

Flagstaffsooner
8/12/2006, 07:11 PM
Must be getting close to football season, Mosoon is back.

douxpaysan
8/12/2006, 07:54 PM
THEY ALREADY HAVE STARTED NAMING THINGS AFTER HIM... :pop: http://www.murrieta.k12.ca.us/thompson/images/Thompson_front2x.jpg

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/12/2006, 08:02 PM
I thought this was going to be a religion thread though ;)

FlatheadSooner
8/12/2006, 08:25 PM
PT

....ENA....Leader.....Senior.....Seasoned veteran....Team Player....National Champion.....Boomer.....Sooner!!!!!

:eek:

The Preach Man
8/12/2006, 08:46 PM
Well, I cant say that I was happy that Rhett got booted but I CAN say that I am 100% behind Paul no matter the outcome. He has been a true team player and an honor to have as a sooner.

Plus we wont have to hear the commentators mess up his name. How hard is it to say ENA?

Octavian
8/12/2006, 11:29 PM
I thought this was going to be a religion thread though ;)

it is :rolleyes:

;)

goingoneight
8/12/2006, 11:42 PM
I agree with supporting him, but you all laughed and joked about Vince Young, saying his first few years at QB were a laughing matter. WHorn or no whorn, what if he is 0-4 going into the RRS game? Not likely, but what if he leads us to another 7-5-ish season?

People are spotlighting OU right now because they say we were all "Rhett, Rhett he's OUr man, if he can't do it-- Paul Thompson can!" I, for one, can say that I enjoy hearing such good things about guys like ENA, and support him for the as listed "team-first ethic." But if the guy gets picked off several times, will you all support him? I don't want to see it, but I've seen it for most of the 1990's decade, and a lot of last season.

Being behind him 100% means not flaming him on message boards, it means shaking his hand after a ball game, even if he loses 77-0. Just sayin' think about it. No one here wants to hear "He sucks, put Halzle/Bradford in!!!" come September. Especially a guy who has done everything he could for his team since his arrival.

He is my favorite kind of player, mysterious, well-spoken of, and a guy who confronts his problems and looks to improve off of them. That's why I support him, whether he holds up a crystal ball at the end of the season, or if he watches UCLA hold up another whale on the sidelines after a sub-par season.

AlbqSooner
8/12/2006, 11:58 PM
The difference is a man uses adversity to grow stronger and improve. A punk just punks out.

The Manuel Johnson quote is what I was hoping, and expecting, would come from the Bomar situation. A realization that the players ALL have to work a bit harder and that the sense of entitlement concern MUST be a thing of the past. Go out and earn it.

Boomer Sooner!