PDA

View Full Version : Adobe PDF ******-*******s!

GottaHavePride
8/12/2006, 10:41 AM
OK, so I just upgraded to Microsoft Office 2003 (I didn't realize I could get it for free from the OU IT store - call me slow) and now I keep getting this message everytime I open an Office application that says

"Microsoft Office Word has detected that your computer has a ersion of Adobe PDFMaker that is known to cause instabilities in Word 2003. To resolve this issue download an update from Adobe Systems' website."

I don't even have Adobe Acrobat - just the Adobe Reader 7.0.8 - so what the hellcrap update am I supposed to get from Adobe? I've tried a few different things and nothing has worked. Should I get a trial version of the whole Acrobat Professional 7.0 just to update this one freakin' thing?

OCUDad
8/12/2006, 11:51 AM
You can download PDFMaker (all by itself) from www.adobe.com (http://www.adobe.com), in the "Downloads" section. If you've already tried that and it still doesn't work, try going to the Microsoft update site http://update.microsoft.com and installing any updates to Office that you may not have applied yet. If THAT doesn't work, I'm out of suggestions. :(

mrowl
8/12/2006, 12:09 PM
it may be a good idea to remove adobe and re-install it after your office install.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/12/2006, 02:36 PM
pdfmaker is an addin to word. i know this because they are sentencing me to a project on it next week...

GottaHavePride
8/12/2006, 10:33 PM
Maybe I'm a tard, but I didn't find PDFMaker as a standalone anywhere on their downloads page. So I downloaded the trial version of 7.0. Now the installation is being held up because it recommends I uninstall 5.0 first. I checked and all the 5.0 files are present on my computer, but Add/Remove programs refuses to acknowledge that 5.0 exists on my computer. And if I try to manually delete the whole 5.0 directory it shouts that a whole bunch of crap is in use by some other application. Bastages.

Ike
8/12/2006, 10:41 PM
just use open office.

OCUDad
8/13/2006, 12:37 AM
Apparently all the PDFmaker downloads are foreign-language versions... sorry about that. If you need PDFmaker, you're going to have to get a compatible version of Acrobat, it looks like.

If you don't want PDFmaker capabilities and just want the message to go away, try this:

In Word, go to the Tools menu and choose "Templates and Add-ins." On the "Templates" tab, PDFmaker should appear in the window under "Global Templates and Add-Ins." If so, highlight it and click "remove." Hope that works.

GottaHavePride
8/13/2006, 12:42 AM
Apparently all the PDFmaker downloads are foreign-language versions... sorry about that. If you need PDFmaker, you're going to have to get a compatible version of Acrobat, it looks like.

If you don't want PDFmaker capabilities and just want the message to go away, try this:

In Word, go to the Tools menu and choose "Templates and Add-ins." On the "Templates" tab, PDFmaker should appear in the window under "Global Templates and Add-Ins." If so, highlight it and click "remove." Hope that works.

Heh. I tried that, but the "remove" button stays grayed out - won't let me do that. I finally got the trial of 7.0 to install after forcing it to ignore the presence of 5.0 and everything works fine. Hopefully those bits of it will stay active when the trial deactivates in a month. ;)

mdklatt
8/13/2006, 12:47 AM
Adobe is definitely on my List.

OCUDad
8/13/2006, 12:48 AM
Bastages.

Is it still grayed out even after you've installed the trial version of 7.0? If not, might make sense to remove it before the trial expires.

Maybe Ike is on to something. I hate Bill Gates.:mad:

GottaHavePride
8/13/2006, 01:08 AM
Is it still grayed out even after you've installed the trial version of 7.0? If not, might make sense to remove it before the trial expires.

Heh. Now that I installed 7.0 it doesn't even show up on the list of add-ins, but the toolbar is there. Who coded this stuff anyway? i want to have a word with them about shoddy workmanship. ;)

SicEmBaylor
8/13/2006, 01:18 AM
I'm using the beta of Office 2007 and the internal pdf feature works great.

GottaHavePride
8/13/2006, 01:47 AM
Actually I was less concerned with the functionality than I was with the fact that the little pop-up window telling me crap wasn't working every time I opened an Office application was ****ing me the heck off. ;)

afs
8/16/2006, 10:03 PM
ttt

mdklatt
8/16/2006, 10:04 PM
ttt

It's been nice knowin' ya.

:pop:

GottaHavePride
8/16/2006, 10:28 PM
did someone mention a dog problem?

OCUDad
8/16/2006, 10:37 PM
I'm using the beta of Office 2007 and the internal pdf feature works great.What a helpful little **** you are. :rolleyes: